What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 11 - Mac Login Issue

Comments

• Options
    aaaictaaaict Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    Still Unable to Start Game Client: Success

Tried to use PlayonMac, which uses wine, the game launches but can't get past the second New Dawn Loading screen. So sad to come so close, any advice?
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    Very disappointed that this has not been solved yet, 3 days into the error. This is unheard of that they will allow players not being able to login for so long.
  • Options
    whatthephloxwhatthephlox Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    archbeth wrote: »
    While this is probably irrelevant (#Borg), whenever I test the launcher now, I *always* have to force-quit it -- as opposed to only sometimes having to do so when the game was successfully launching. (It really doesn't play nicely with the Mac, does it...)

lol the ONLY way I have ever been able to close sto is to force quit. seems to be working as intended Kappa123
  • Options
    sf911sf911 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    An ETA for a fix or any kind of update would be very nice at this point.
  • Options
    sf911 wrote: »
    An ETA for a fix or any kind of update would be very nice at this point.

I agree, but even if they do update us, it will say "We are aware of the issue and are working on a fix". I doubt they have an eta if they haven't even found the problem after 3 days ;-; come to think of it, if this is related to the tribble login problem we had, its possible this bug has been around for months and they still have no idea what to do
  • Options
    warpaint21warpaint21 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    lol the ONLY way I have ever been able to close sto is to force quit. seems to be working as intended Kappa123

Same here. Though once and a while it would quite w/o needing to force quit.

• Options
    Very disappointed that this has not been solved yet, 3 days into the error. This is unheard of that they will allow players not being able to login for so long.

Really! Wow you have been seriously lucky then. I had to wait for 3 weeks when the mac client broke after DR. Almost every single big update the Mac client has somehow been affected. I think Seasons 9 and 10.5 were ok though.

SERIOUSLY CRYPTIC, PLEASE GIVE US AN UPDATE

• Options
    I have managed to get in game on my mac, using PlayonMac, but the FPS and the lag is so bad that it is virtually unplayable. Did manage to do a tiny bit of doffing and start some admiralty tasks though.
  • Options
    investigator01investigator01 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Thanks for the update. Hope it will be corrected soon. I'm really disapointed that we will miss the 'Dilithium week-end' event.
  • Options
    Devs: could be please get *any* kind of update today? Would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    eighrichteeighrichte Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    It really is a lot easier to deal with the wait and missed opportunities (like bonus dilithium) when the time is liberally sprinkled with communication about progress, or even about the obstacles you're facing.
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1

3 days, LOL...

The Mac client was broken with insta-crashes for SIX WEEKS after Delta Rising hit last year... it took forever for Smirk to acknowledge it, didn't get a dev response until about 4-5 weeks into the blackout, and then the issue was finally resolved.

This time around, three days in... Trendy already acknowledged it (within 12 hours of the patch going live on Tuesday, no less), and we have official dev acknowledgement a day later.

I'm upset, too, but c'mon...
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    mhall85 wrote: »

3 days, LOL...

The Mac client was broken with insta-crashes for SIX WEEKS after Delta Rising hit last year... it took forever for Smirk to acknowledge it, didn't get a dev response until about 4-5 weeks into the blackout, and then the issue was finally resolved.

It wasn't broken like this. The Mac client literally doesn't work for anyone at all this time. I don't know how many people were affected when DR was released, but I know it worked fine for some of us. Not that that makes it OK, but a problem that doesn't affect everyone can be hard to duplicate and identify.
  • Options
    eighrichte wrote: »

3 days, LOL...

It wasn't broken like this. The Mac client literally doesn't work for anyone at all this time. I don't know how many people were affected when DR was released, but I know it worked fine for some of us. Not that that makes it OK, but a problem that doesn't affect everyone can be hard to duplicate and identify.

I had a few problems running sto on my mac when DR was released but nothing like this.
  • Options
    nimrod5nimrod5 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    While this is probably irrelevant (#Borg), whenever I test the launcher now, I *always* have to force-quit it -- as opposed to only sometimes having to do so when the game was successfully launching. (It really doesn't play nicely with the Mac, does it...)

Same here lol
  • Options
    robmon1robmon1 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I also had some minor issues when DR was releases but this is ridiculous
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Stop asking for an update guys...they'll update us when they know something.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options

3 days, LOL...

It pretty much was just as broken, and that was not my point. Now, I don't know of many people who DID have the client work when DR hit, so that's news to me. It sure seemed to affect a large majority of the Mac playerbase, enough so that they needed to make a big fix (that issue was probably a mix of the DirectX9 problems everyone had, on top of a needed Cider readjustment). This issue, on the other hand, has to be Cider-only (to my knowledge, no Windows player has this issue).

Regardless, my point was to pump the breaks on the borderline rage in this thread. Cryptic likely outsourced their Cider work, so that means they will have to work through channels. (If anyone has a Mac at Cryptic, it's likely the art team... and I would even question that.) We've already heard from Trendy, and a dev, that the issue is being looked into. It's unrealistic to expect a daily update on progress.

Don't let them forget or ignore the problem, of course... but PATIENCE! :smile:
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I agree that we should be patient and respectful.

However, I do not agree that a daily update is too much to ask for. The entire Mac playerbase (as small as it may be) is unable to access the game; regular updates would go a long way calming people down.
  • Options
    I don't think it's unrealistic or unreasonable to expect regular (like maybe twice a day) communication. Even if it's just to say "same people are still working on it, still trying to diagnose the issue," the simple act of communication helps the customer feel valued, and takes only a minute or two.
  • Options
    johnwatson71johnwatson71 Member Posts: 187 Arc User

Nope. and it never will until they actually port the game to mac completely. Which will probably never happen.
    7aamriW.png
  • Options

3 days, LOL...

It pretty much was just as broken, and that was not my point. Now, I don't know of many people who DID have the client work when DR hit, so that's news to me. It sure seemed to affect a large majority of the Mac playerbase, enough so that they needed to make a big fix (that issue was probably a mix of the DirectX9 problems everyone had, on top of a needed Cider readjustment). This issue, on the other hand, has to be Cider-only (to my knowledge, no Windows player has this issue).

Regardless, my point was to pump the breaks on the borderline rage in this thread. Cryptic likely outsourced their Cider work, so that means they will have to work through channels. (If anyone has a Mac at Cryptic, it's likely the art team... and I would even question that.) We've already heard from Trendy, and a dev, that the issue is being looked into. It's unrealistic to expect a daily update on progress.

Don't let them forget or ignore the problem, of course... but PATIENCE! :smile:

well you'd be incorrect about one thing, there have been windows users reporting on getting the "Unable to start game: Success" message. So that undoubtedly makes it a more complicated issue.
    7aamriW.png
  • Options
    Let me phrase it this way...

In a perfect world (heh), yes, more frequent updates would be welcomed. Further, I'd welcome it myself. (Mac gamers are often treated like red-headed stepchildren. It sucks.) We are not in a perfect world, though. Apple itself has awesome customer service, but even they don't give you daily updates on software or hardware repair. And we're aren't dealing with Apple here, LOL, so to hold PWE/Cryptic to a higher standard than Apple's gold standard... is setting yourself up for disappointment.

I'm not even saying you guys should stop inquiring... that's what we did last year, during weeks of silence. Please, keep asking. It's nice to know that there are other Mac players out there.

Just don't get pissed when you don't get a response every day. I'm still impressed and encouraged that we've heard as much as we have, as soon as we have.
  • Options
    ethersurfer117ethersurfer117 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Aside from obvious "not being able to play at all" thing, I think some of the annoyance comes from the fact that they advertised the TRIBBLE out of this expansion for over a month and yet they didn't catch this rather fundamental bug. Might just be me but I think it wouldn't have been as bad if it were a routine patch that had an unfortunate bug in it. I just feel with all the hype about the new story and features, they should have been extra diligent to make sure everything worked at launch. But then again, that might just be me.
  • Options
    Aside from obvious "not being able to play at all" thing, I think some of the annoyance comes from the fact that they advertised the TRIBBLE out of this expansion for over a month and yet they didn't catch this rather fundamental bug. Might just be me but I think it wouldn't have been as bad if it were a routine patch that had an unfortunate bug in it. I just feel with all the hype about the new story and features, they should have been extra diligent to make sure everything worked at launch. But then again, that might just be me.

well yes, thats whats respectable and quality gaming companies do. Thats not what we're dealing with here though lol
    7aamriW.png
  • Options

this.
  • Options
    twiistedreasontwiistedreason Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Who do we speak to regarding getting a refund on purchased zen? i bought 12,000 for S11 launch, and can't even play, and there is no eta on getting online. angry doesn't cover it. It's bad enough they haven't updated us, but then to complete maintenance without a fix is just awful.

I spoke on chat about it last night, and the customer service rep was soon rude, and when i asked if they would compensate for missing the master key offer, he said no and then cut off the chat. terrible terrible PR.
    Q5UKMml.jpg
  • Options

Yes, I agree... but that is almost a separate issue. I also think it's stupid that you don't test a game on a system you say you support... and I'm pretty sure they don't test on a Mac, given what CrypticFrost (former QA lead) told me last year during the DR issues.

But, they don't, for whatever reason. (And, if I'm wrong about that, devs, my bad.)

Again... my only point is to keep a cool head, and be patient. Keep asking, sure, but remember who you're dealing with. :tongue:
  • Options
    omegadirective1omegadirective1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Just encountered the issue after I heard about S11's release, and I was thinking, "What could possibly be wrong with my game", and I'm relieved that its Mac people as a whole. Great to know you guys are on it and doing your best to fix it. Thanks STO team!
  • Options
    yocase009yocase009 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    I'll throw my name into the hat of also not being able to play due to Mac issues. I abhor Windows, and was thrilled when STO came to Mac. It still taxes my Mac quite a bit despite it's specs being superior to most Windows machines, and I understand this is a graphics issue. I will be excited when the fix is discovered and have been diligently reading online for any news of said fix.

Thanks in advance for fixing the problem!
This discussion has been closed.