What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 11 - Mac Login Issue

Comments

• Options
    g0mjabbarg0mjabbar Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    It appears whatever "Controller 2" is is currently still down.

http://www.mmoserverstatus.com/star_trek_online

I can connect right away with the PC client, but the Mac client cannot connect to the controller. So I guess it uses Controller 2? Maybe when it comes up we will have a fix? (positive thinking!)

Edit: Nevermind. Restarted the launcher over and over until it got past the controller tracker thing, same old error message.
  • Options
    grigormoltovgrigormoltov Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    yes, me too, i'm worry a bit now, but i think need be more patient... T-T, this don't happened to me ever, of course im playing from december 2014, its not much, but its little bit sad that i can't play my favorite game u.u
  • Options
    aaaictaaaict Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    WOW your update screwed up the client even more. Now it wont even connect to the control tracker. Well done.
  • Options
    keithcummingskeithcummings Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I was able to get past the control tracker issue by restarting the Launcher. However, the same old error message persists.
  • Options
    ilolylyilolyly Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    sf911 wrote: »
    Being rude and disrespectful will get you nowhere.
    We are all frustrated at being unable to play. We are all hoping for (and expecting) a quick fix.
    However, descending to insults and vitriolic attitudes does nothing for our cause.

OUR CAUSE ?????? Man your are far gone , this guys they took your money and insult you by " All you purchase is in the game , you can use it " but they JUST CLOSE THE DOOR , how can you not see the level of TRIBBLE they serve to us .... o men do not matter i all ready start at my bank a claim just for that , men you are far far far out .....
  • Options
    gjpipergjpiper Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Current Status of Mac Client:

STO-Mac-Launcher-Error-20151030.gif
  • Options
    jadonijadoni Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Could not have said it better!
    As custodians of the only Star Trek MMO on the market they seriously need to up their game.
  • Options
    jodyhammerhandjodyhammerhand Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    I'm a free player so I'm not going to pile on because unlike some other Mac users, I don't have a paid subscription so I'm not losing out on something I'm paying for. I have sunk some of my own hard earned shekels into this game so I am disappointed that I haven't been able to play. And I missed out on getting that T5 Excelsior but meh, it's not like I had it to begin with so I haven't really lost, just missed a nice freebie. I also appreciate the updates coming a bit more regularly than being left to sit with no communication. So on one hand, not being able to play bites. On the other hand, thanks for the help you're availing thus far and any bones/freebies tossed towards the Mac-using community for this challenge is greatly appreciated. Thanks again and see you among the stars.
  • Options
    hollymatthollymatt Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    using PLAYONMAc works! I copied all the files from the STO official folder into a new virtual folder on playonmac app. I'm in. but LOST ALL THE FREEBIES - not happy about that, but I can at least play and do maintenance.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2015
    --EXCERPT of error from GJPIPER
    iMac kernel[0]: AMDRadeonX3000_AMDAccelDevice: IOUserClient outputCount count mismatch
    iMac WindowServer[161]: disable_update_timeout: UI updates were forcibly disabled by application "Star Trek Online" for over 1.00 seconds. Server has re-enabled them.
    iMac kernel[0]: GPU Access disallowed due to VM protection attribute.
    iMac WindowServer[161]: disable_update_likely_unbalanced: UI updates still disabled by application "Star Trek Online" after 15.00 seconds (server forcibly re-enabled them after 1.00 seconds). Likely an unbalanced disableUpdate call.
    iMac cider[10724]: void CGSUpdateManager::log() const: conn 0x1a0a3 token 0x1ffffffffffe85

I posted a MSG to the ADMINS not sure if it will help identify possibly causes with from what I can tell is the emulator. It appears they use Cider / WINE or a closely related variant based on the above except from another user. Unfotunatley I don't have a MAC environment here or I could test different settings myself; although I saw one user state his MAC was working (New Hardware) provided he left settings on Medium Graphics. I presume he's referring to the computer's display (resolution) settings not the game settings because you're unable to change those until the application launches.

Perhaps a few others could try REDUCING DISPLAY RESOLUTION on their monitor and see if that corrects any issues for them like one user suggested it had, it's may identify possible issues with how they need to update the emulator settings with the next update? I've also seen a few people saying they are having issue with control tracker | but got around that issue by exiting and restarting the Launcher.

I've also provided an additional URL to the ADMINS not provided below since I can't confirm which of emulator variants they use - Cider or WINE and each has slightly different steps to follow. Realize the emulator has a TEXT file that they likely adjust on the users behalf in the package for how the Intel / Cider-WINE based emulator handles or translates the windows program by the client.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1052176/cider.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_gaming | Read WINE Based Projects

Kind Regards...
    Strathkin
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    strathkin wrote: »
    I saw one user state his MAC was working (New Hardware) provided he left settings on Medium Graphics.[/color] I presume he's referring to the computer's display settings not the game settings because you're unable to change those until the application launches.

Those must be the in-game settings, as iMacs don't have different "graphics settings" in the operating system at all. This user is talking about a different problem he was having I believe, not the current connection problem.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I'm dating myself in the Tech Field but my first job was supporting Apple Desktop/Server environments. I'm pretty sure he was talking about Display (resolution) settings in the Apple OS (yet could be a reference to emulation tool) since he wouldn't have been able to change in game settings if it was crashing | and if he was able to then successfully load it | it's not a connection based problem either. I suspect based on the ERROR you provided GJPIPER the issue is related to the Graphical Emulator -- yet your better in the position to test that running the Windows Application on your Mac.

Try changing your Mac resolution to different lower settings, each time incrementing down one and relaunching the game. Also if it does work post the information at what your original display settings was and when you first had success with loading the game.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1158603/macresolution.html

As I said I don't have access to a MAC so I can guide the troubleshooting process but I can't test it myself. :)
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    johnwatson71johnwatson71 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    hollymatt wrote: »
    using PLAYONMAc works! I copied all the files from the STO official folder into a new virtual folder on playonmac app. I'm in. but LOST ALL THE FREEBIES - not happy about that, but I can at least play and do maintenance.

Can you maybe explain your process for using playonmac so that others may try it?
    7aamriW.png
  • Options
    sevenofnine13141sevenofnine13141 Member Posts: 4,272 Arc User

Can you maybe explain your process for using playonmac so that others may try it?

It is not advised to play STO on playonmac. It could potentially break the game. - Admiralty
    | State of the Federation |
    The German Empire
    Founded 2413
    Leader: S. Raneson
    de_pr2.gif
  • Options
    andarragh21andarragh21 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    I'm dating myself in the Tech Field but my first job was supporting Apple Desktop/Server environments. I'm pretty sure he was talking about Display settings in the Apple OS since he wouldn't have been able to change it in game if it was crashing | and if he was able to then successfully load it | it's not a connection based problem either. I suspect based on the ERROR you provided GJPIPER the issue is related to the Graphical Emulator that is basically running the Windows Application on your Mac.

Try changing your Mac resolution to different lower settings, each time incrementing down one and relaunching the game. Also if it does work post the information at what your original display settings was and when you first had success with loading the game.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1158603/macresolution.html

As I said I don't have access to a MAC so I can guide the troubleshoot process but I can't test it myself. :)

The resolution isn't why there is an emulator. It's because the DIrectX isn't Mac's native graphics processing. I can't imagine that something as basic a screen resolution would be causing that kind of crashing.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I'm dating myself in the Tech Field but my first job was supporting Apple Desktop/Server environments. I'm pretty sure he was talking about Display settings in the Apple OS since he wouldn't have been able to change it in game if it was crashing | and if he was able to then successfully load it

There are no Display Settings except for resolution, color correction, and multiple-monitor position for Macs, unless you have an aftermarket video card which iMacs don't. This is not an in-game graphics setting causing this error. The game doesn't even get past the launcher. See my signature, below... that is as far as it gets. I do have access to many Macs, and am a current Mac system admin.

By the way, just to appease your curiosity, I lowered my 27" iMac resolution down as far as it would go scale - 1280x720 - and STO still won't launch. It doesn't crash, it just sits there with the same "Unable to start the game client: Success" message. ;-)
  • Options
    keithcummingskeithcummings Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    gjpiper wrote: »
    I'm dating myself in the Tech Field but my first job was supporting Apple Desktop/Server environments. I'm pretty sure he was talking about Display settings in the Apple OS since he wouldn't have been able to change it in game if it was crashing | and if he was able to then successfully load it

There are no Display Settings except for resolution, color correction, and multiple-monitor position for Macs, unless you have an aftermarket video card which iMacs don't. This is not an in-game graphics setting causing this error. The game doesn't even get past the launcher. See my signature, below... that is as far as it gets. I do have access to many Macs, and am a current Mac system admin.

Just to be fair, with my Late 2012 Mac Mini, I tried every possible graphic setting, which are merely resolution settings, and they had no effect on the failure to launch.

I am still running Yosemite, but I really don't think this is a Mac system issue, it's a game issue.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Seems he was suspecting the same thing I was as we posted our messages at the same time--this would confirm the problem is not with the windows updates to the core software but likely an incorrect emulator configuration.

It is not advised to play STO on playonmac. It could potentially break the game. - Admiralty

http://www.macworld.com/article/1158603/macresolution.html (Your MAC Display Resolution)

If someone could confirm reducing their resolution resolves the settings using the current EMULATOR. Go from the largest default setting you have likely 1920x1200 or 1600x1200 and the select the next smallest increment and APPLY it and see if your then able to reload the launcher. If unsuccessful you can try and repeat the process again to see if you're able to launch the GAME in a lower RESOLUTION like one earlier user had posted corrected the issue. NOTE: This is not a long term fix or but a process to help confirm it's an emulator issue.

158606-displays_resolutions_slide.jpg

If you could POST what resolution worked along with your HARDWARE information this might help the DEVELOPERS understand how they may need to UPDATE the installer with the EMULATOR to best work for the most players. You could simply say it worked at 1280x960 using an Intel HD Graphics 3000 | GPU | 2048 | Intel 8086 | etc...

http://maclites.com/5-wege-um-seriennummer-vom-apple-thunderbolt-display-zu-finden

monitor-seriennummer-apple-thunderbolt-display-grafik-monitore-hardware-systeminformationen-mac-os-x-lion.jpg

Once you've identified what it's working at it may help developers address the issue then you could likely return back to your NATIVE RESOLUTION.

Those more familar with Cider | WINE may have likely choosen to just setup/configure it.
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    Seems he was suspecting the same thing I was as we posted our messages at the same time--this would confirm the problem is not with the windows updates to the core software but likely an incorrect emulator configuration.

The "emulator" is built into the STO app. There are no configuration settings for the emulator that a normal user can get to.
  • Options
    iathoriathor Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    I managed to turn on some debug options in cider during game startup, and it looks like the game is missing a library called uxtheme.dll; this is consistent with the backtraces a couple other people posted showing a crash in the dll init code.

I started the game with the command:
    /Applications/Star\ Trek\ Online.app/Contents/MacOS/cider --debugmsg +all

It printed out a bunch of new stuff, most of which looked like it wasn't hurting anything, which I've omitted. After the "Engage" button was hit, though, I got:
    err:profile:modify_commandline_from_config skipping the 'CmdLineAdd' arguments '-server 208.95.184.129 -server 208.95.184.192 -server 208.95.184.42 -server 208.95.184.43' for the process 'GameClient.exe\TransGaming'
    err:virtual:do_relocations Image w/ base [0x78000000] and size [286720] is outside the PE EXE and CRT ranges [0x70000000 and 0x7d400000]. This is not good.
    err:module:BUILTIN32_dlopen failed to load .so lib for builtin uxtheme.dll: dlopen(/Applications/Star Trek Online.app/Contents/Frameworks/libuxtheme.dylib, 2): image not found
    err:module:PE_fixup_imports Module (file) UxTheme.dll (which is needed by L"GameClient.exe") not found
    err:win32:PE_CreateModule failed to resolve imports

There is, of course, no libuxtheme.dylib file in the game, nor was there one in the prior version. This is apparently a standard Windows library, but not one included in the Transgaming cider engine. It's not clear if the game even needs this library, since it seems to be associated with XP system appearance, but I'm hardly an expert on Windows stuff, I just looked the library up on the web....
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    It seems one user has confirmed reducing their resolution hasn't helped correct their issue--although one user identified (the game loaded with what appeared to be the normal launcher) it had worked for him but he was on new hardware. Since we've confirmed another EMULATOR works by making a duplicate copy of the installation files, and loads the game with no problems the issue is NOT the game software or graphic issue.

***As for the information regarding modifying the actual emulator which appears to BE THE PROBLEM; I've only provided that to cryptic as I don't want users attemping to change settings that may cause further complications.
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    Can confirm that PlayonMac works. If you turn down the graphics setting to minimum it works pretty well. Managed to do the new FE and a couple of the new cardassian missions.

You need to create a virtual drive and you can either install the whole game again, or go into the c drive section of the app and run the startrekonline.exe file, which lets you launch the game.

Does take some time to load, especially on the new delta rising screen, so be patient. It will be very choppy as soon as you get in game, so first thing to do is to turn down EVERYTHING on your graphic setting to low, minimum of off. The graphic are still fine, but the lag will largely dissipate.
  • Options
    thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    :/ Please don't tell me I am going to be STO-less the whole weekend? I am missing everything,.. my friends, The ships, Hearts of Mine replay... so sad.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

" It is not advised to play STO on playonmac. It could potentially break the game. - Admiralty

Uum, care to elaborate? Who is Admiralty and who are you exactly?

• Options
    edited November 2015
    iathor wrote: »
    I managed to turn on some debug options in cider during game startup, and it looks like the game is missing a library called uxtheme.dll; this is consistent with the backtraces a couple other people posted showing a crash in the dll init code.

I started the game with the command:
    /Applications/Star\ Trek\ Online.app/Contents/MacOS/cider --debugmsg +all

It printed out a bunch of new stuff, most of which looked like it wasn't hurting anything, which I've omitted. After the "Engage" button was hit, though, I got:
    err:profile:modify_commandline_from_config skipping the 'CmdLineAdd' arguments '-server 208.95.184.129 -server 208.95.184.192 -server 208.95.184.42 -server 208.95.184.43' for the process 'GameClient.exe\TransGaming'
    err:virtual:do_relocations Image w/ base [0x78000000] and size [286720] is outside the PE EXE and CRT ranges [0x70000000 and 0x7d400000]. This is not good.
    err:module:BUILTIN32_dlopen failed to load .so lib for builtin uxtheme.dll: dlopen(/Applications/Star Trek Online.app/Contents/Frameworks/libuxtheme.dylib, 2): image not found
    err:module:PE_fixup_imports Module (file) UxTheme.dll (which is needed by L"GameClient.exe") not found
    err:win32:PE_CreateModule failed to resolve imports

There is, of course, no libuxtheme.dylib file in the game, nor was there one in the prior version. This is apparently a standard Windows library, but not one included in the Transgaming cider engine. It's not clear if the game even needs this library, since it seems to be associated with XP system appearance, but I'm hardly an expert on Windows stuff, I just looked the library up on the web....

Iathor Just wanted to really thank you for taking the initiative and forwarding this information. I would likely suspect you're GUT feel is correct here in that it may not be required by the game environment as hollymat identified they could copy the /program_files_(x86)/Perfect_World_Entertainment and all associated subfolders to a new virtual folder /program_files_(MACx86)/Perfect_World_Entertainment and was then able to install PLAYONMAC. Based upon configuring the emulator to reference those new executable files at an alternate location this clearly appears to NOT be a problem with the Core Windows application & libraries running on the MAC environment OR an issue with MAC Graphic's related problems for many; but likely a problem with the existing emulator--using deductive reasoning with limited information being presented.

Although I'd be interested to know if Holymat who installed PLAYONMAC managed to get the game to work without reducing the Display RESOLUTION using another EMULATOR, could confirm if reducing the Display resolution was able to FIX the issue using the Original Game files and Launcher by reducing screen resolution? Although the BIG ADVANTAGE to PlayOn is the Graphic's acceleration [support] which 'would likely' EXTEND [correct] the video emulation quality for over what many MAC users may have today--yet I can't confirm or deny as it would vary greatly from user to user depending upon their Hardware & how the existing Emulator and any alternate were configured. I'm flying blind because I don't have access to ANY of that information currently. CLARIFICATION: This is NOT saying PlayOnMac will work better.

--
    Everything I've seen I'd want to know why they aren't running using the ARC Client downloader (basically a HTML web based application) to identify if the client side application recieves the Core windows package or is bundled with either PlayOnMac / PlayOnLinux / or others (CEDAR) to possibly extend more games depending on the User's Operating Environment? They offer a FREE client license for MAC/Linux(PYTHON) so their would be no direct cost on a per SEAT basis, yet PlayOn would likley ask for a yearly support cost to provide Cryptic ongoing support--although those costs may be offset by some of the advanced update tools.

Yet their may be corporate concerns for using an emulator which is supported by the VAST majority of games like SWTOR, EVE Online, and many others--from the FLIP side if the if all other game emulators were working so would Cryptic's, and would ensure a strong working group to interface with the Emulator vendor to ensure patches are FULLY TESTED and HIGHLY AVAILABLE during NON MAINTENANCE WINDOWS. But perhaps PlayOnMac does NOT offer as good as support as CEDAR? NOTE: If PlayOn can offer MAC and other Linux distributions, so could CEDAR since both based on the Open Source software.
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    hollymatthollymatt Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    FYI - I DID reduce the graphics throughout th game to MIDS. some of the graphics look a little wonky (darker) but for the most part ar pretty playable. I am running this on a 2014 (late 2013 model) Macbook pro Retina w/16G ram and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB o if that helps.
    I'll be playing with the graphics to see where I can improve the game play but for now, its doable.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Just out of curiosity, what is the file size of the main Star Trek Online.app package file for some of you? Mine seems huge at 20.81 GB.

Is there some kind of cache storage in the package that can be cleared safely? I went in and found a couple places that seem likely, but I don't want to change anything unless someone has done it successfully before.
  • Options
    supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    Sigh ! Way this season is working out they may well have called it New Bugaddins instead of New Dawn.

Oh Gjpiper the STO file that you copy and paste if intending to use a Wine Wrapper Band Aid or the one posted in the Bug Thread is roughly around 21gb
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Aside from obvious "not being able to play at all" thing, I think some of the annoyance comes from the fact that they advertised the TRIBBLE out of this expansion for over a month and yet they didn't catch this rather fundamental bug. Might just be me but I think it wouldn't have been as bad if it were a routine patch that had an unfortunate bug in it. I just feel with all the hype about the new story and features, they should have been extra diligent to make sure everything worked at launch. But then again, that might just be me.

Yes, I agree... but that is almost a separate issue. I also think it's stupid that you don't test a game on a system you say you support... and I'm pretty sure they don't test on a Mac, given what CrypticFrost (former QA lead) told me last year during the DR issues.

But, they don't, for whatever reason. (And, if I'm wrong about that, devs, my bad.)

Again... my only point is to keep a cool head, and be patient. Keep asking, sure, but remember who you're dealing with. :tongue:

they don't even test on all their supported platforms? what are these people even being paid for? jfc

Well I'm sure the community appreciate's open & honest communication and want to know how you feel provided it maintain's a level of professionalism--so please bare with them if your still having issues. Yet I saw another user REPORT they had successfully logged in, so that's two or three people I've seen report good news, although one was by installing a slightly different emulator. Although if the game play experience is changing for you, please restrict from updating earlier posts except for spelling / grammer, so Developers are able to track what few problems are being reported in the forums in one place.

Otherwise I certainly empathize with some of the experience players may be having, developers prefer to not address similar issues time & time again. Then the team can focus their time better utilizing it to improving & enchancing the overall game experience--from improving ship outfits/materials for previously released T1-T5 Starships or expanding options for T6. Regardless if your background is in the sciences, engineering or arts community, everyone love's seeing a vision realized they helped to contribute towards.

I only wish I could be more helpful having never gotten the Apple MAC Book Pro (Retina) I wanted despite pushing Apple for years to put into their 15" Laptops. Perhaps it's time to rethink that strategy once again. I'd hope the entire team at Cryptic would have a similar options of either a Retina 13 or 15" Macbook's to fully test windows application through an emulator / VM; developers should also have a 2nd desktop computer running Windows with up to two 24" displays depending on laptop. The fact they MAY not have that as indicated above only speaks to their level of dedication to something they believe strongly in.
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    iathoriathor Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    Can anyone confirm whether Playonmac includes a uxtheme.dll library? If so, that would probably explain why the client works there. Playonmac claims to be Wine-based, and WineHQ lists an API for uxtheme.dll, so it seems plausible it may implement it. Unfortunately I'm too short on disk space to try to install Playonmac on my machine, so I can't look at it myself.
This discussion has been closed.