test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance [June 25th, 2015]

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    Well, here's something crazy and funny to watch...

https://youtu.be/Q46l70mNmCw
  • Options
    darthlogicdarthlogic Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    otowi wrote: »
    Great, just great....

This is getting beyond stupid now Cryptic.

Get your act together, ASAP!!!

Will you die today without STO?? Get a grip.
  • Options
    gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    philfixit wrote: »
    your saying it now wont came back on till ( with luck) 11pm bst. man . that's just is the last straw. sorry now not playing game again. now not spending any more money. pitty I love the game but ,this has gone too far. im going back to cod 2. it plays and doesnt go bang all the time.

Lord monty
    17252910.jpg
    And of course....
    signature.png
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    Trendy... you forgot Scotty's formula, didn't you? You're suppose to multiple your repair estimates by a factor of four. If the engineers tell you six, then you're suppose to tell us the game's going to be down a full twenty-four hours - but Cryptic will try for only twelve by doubling the Server Hamsters or something - so that when it's done in anything less than twelve, whether it's six, eight or even ten hours, the team still looks like Miracle Workers...

And it reduces players complaining "You said six hours and it's been eight, now it's gonna be another hour? After all the money I didn't pay because the game's free, you expect me to wait for things like server lag and graphics delay to get fixed? And you won't give me a free T6 version of the TOS Connie that comes with a special 'Plot Armor' console just because CBS says the TOS Connie can't be an endgame ship? That's it, I ragequit!"

Let's face it, estimates are bad things - people try to actually hold you to them. Heh.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    snakeswar2snakeswar2 Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    they should extend the summer event to july 20th for this even thou its mostly network issues now
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    Let's face it, estimates are bad things - people try to actually hold you to them. Heh.

Not to scapegoat it, but I actually don't control them.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    It's always a nice stress reliever to come in here and read all the whining, demanding and ragequitting. Makes my day so much better.

There are worse things that could happen besides maint going over three hours longer. Like you could trip while walking on an uneven driveway, fall forward and break your left arm in a place where they can't put a cast. Oh, right, that happened to me on Sunday.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    botc76botc76 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    celiea32 wrote: »
    Well then I bet it will be down the whole day I have a feeling so for get on playing today. But I don't have much conifense in Cryptic anymore they have bug up the ears and they still havn't fixxed them even back when the game was launched.

Most People Bash EA, but at least when EA/Bioware says they'll be up at a certain time. they stick to their word, and get their s**t done. Unlike Cryptic.

Yeah right - EVERY MMO company has often missed/extended their ETA's on maintenance, and EA is no exception to this fact.

Indeedy :p and they often broke things that were working with those maintenances as well in SWTOR.
    All in all, despite the problems I have way more fun with STO than SWTOR.
    And I was a subscriber the whole time I played it, while I only buy Zen here from time to time.
  • Options
    rcassandrasaturnrcassandrasaturn Member Posts: 195 Arc User

that's true. not even players can be controlled for holding others of a promise.
    Fleet commander of Slippery When Wet.
    i am Deaf Transgender girl. i'm Known to others as Korra.
    you can find me on Tumblr, Twitter, Twitch
  • Options
    crosis2014crosis2014 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    Set your expectation level to ZERO. You won't be disappointed then
  • Options
    ash1113ash1113 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    ash1113 wrote: »
    soo...about the double RP...we are gonna get extended time or some equal compensation on it yeah! :worried:

You're kidding right?

:no_mouth: : ...u do know that today (25th) is double rp day...yes!?...so 'kidding'...! about what!? :confused:
  • Options
    izirkuizirku Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Hope that PWE is fixing crit on crafting system... or they can't successfully crit themselves on their update/maintenance, that's why it's taking so long! Ran out of Dill guys, heh? rofl
  • Options
    gasparulisesgasparulises Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    Considering how long weve been waiting everything in the game better be absolutely perfect
    Well, well I agree considiring the time the game will be perfect I what world you live these STO Science Fiction game for that reason never tell the exact time to launch the game as usual every week as another player the soap opera of STO, continue lollolololllllloloollolololol. Let the mantinance people get the overtime but no too long will get bankrutcy it hire more workers to work in the network lolollllolollolol. These fun more than the game, but please get the game online. Please, please, please nananana that more fun the reality show. Let see what happend in the hour or the next charter some said already. As wise man said be patient you get where you no need to go on time, well be that in the future no so far lollolol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User

I'm just glad you're around to keep us updated. <3 ^_^
  • Options
    nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    Well, another super long maintenance, right? I really hope this time will fix for real the game's problem... ;) Anyway, new ETA at 3pm PDT?
  • Options
    botc76botc76 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Sorry if this has already been brought up but didn't want to read through the insane amount of posts on this thread .. Is there any notice of or attention given to the constant crashing issues in the Dyson Voth Ground Battlezone?

Let's hope so.
  • Options
    caleb143caleb143 Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    Alright folks. I'm going to take a brief break and eat some lunch, since I've been at this since about 8AM. I'll still be here, but I need noms.

Thank you for all your work, Ms. Trendy! Now go eat, and eat bacon! Also, eat bacon wrapped bacon. And a cookie. And chocolate covered bacon. That is inside a cookie
    tumblr_o0xkrlVud21uuxsqjo1_1280.png
  • Options
    rcassandrasaturnrcassandrasaturn Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    hey mind if i ask you a question Trendy?
    since when you got interested into Star Trek? what it is that made it so memorable to you?
    Fleet commander of Slippery When Wet.
    i am Deaf Transgender girl. i'm Known to others as Korra.
    you can find me on Tumblr, Twitter, Twitch
  • Options
    darthlogicdarthlogic Member Posts: 16 Arc User

I could not do your job and I salute you. It's like going on a trip with a bunch of little brats who are constantly asking, "Are we there yet?" and throwing tantrums when you reply with, "Just a little bit longer, sweeties."
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    Went to see Jurassic World earlier with my daughter. It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Imax helps. It got me through what I thought was going to be normal maintenance time...more importantly I got to spend time with my little miss.

My point is, the game being down is not necessarily a bad thing. Go tell someone you love them.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    sov42 wrote: »
    Well, here's something crazy and funny to watch...

https://youtu.be/Q46l70mNmCw
    Warriors then

warriors now
    signature.png
  • Options
    freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 426 Arc User

Thanks Obama for having someone be inb4 I blamed you. :)

Obama_You're_Welcome_meme.jpg

Anyways, ½ hour left currently so hopefully the server hamsters have been fed and are ready to spin those wheels again. Go servers hamsters GO!
    m12Pkoj.png
  • Options
    euripidiaeuripidia Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    gumpy24 wrote: »
    I suppose none of you guys know how much coding and delicate care goes into making it all fit together, adding things on to something as huge as STo can either work perfectly and in snyc or it can break and clash with other code....

You suppose wrong. "Some of us guys" know even too much about this, and from what is seen every week on the new episode of STO maintenace soap opera, know about it far better than the people who are paid to do this thing at Cryptic. I'd like to use the worn out phrase "I do this for a living", but the fact is that I do this for fun, because good technology is fun and i like the challenge.

A slight tweak in their methodology and maybe a grain of reason would cut down these maintenance times in half. And always work. But it would also require certain investments and that's a touchy subject for a corporate mentality stuck in the Ford-T mode.

No one manages load balanced internet application server clusters with administrative partitioning "for fun." And everyone who does it for a living knows why these things happen, and its nothing a "small tweak" in methodology can fix. Implementing rapid patch deployment in a system like this is a from-the-ground-up design criteria that cannot be trivially retrofitted without enormous cost. And that's separate from the fact that when you have mandatory maintenance windows, many things tend to get scheduled to happen at the same time because they have to wait for the window. And changing multiple things at the same time exponentially increases the chances for something unexpected to go wrong. Since they are pushing updates to the servers all the time, there's never a time when something like say load balancer upgrades can happen in isolation.

You can always do better, and I have no idea what caused this specific issue. Maybe it was a stupid mistake, maybe not. But to believe all such problems can be trivially eliminated represents a total lack of experience in managing these kinds of systems.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    Alright folks. I'm going to take a brief break and eat some lunch, since I've been at this since about 8AM. I'll still be here, but I need noms.

:: speaking in a low voice ::

I thought she'd never leave. Time to trash the forums, guys. >:)

kickassapp.com/

f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    stoguy1stoguy1 Member Posts: 3
    darthlogic wrote: »
    I could not do your job and I salute you. It's like going on a trip with a bunch of little brats who are constantly asking, "Are we there yet?" and throwing tantrums when you reply with, "Just a little bit longer, sweeties."

As a customer giving business to PWE/Cryptic, I've got every right to complain when their product is jacked up, just as I would with giving business to any other company.
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    nandospc wrote: »
    Well, another super long maintenance, right? I really hope this time will fix for real the game's problem... ;) Anyway, new ETA at 3pm PDT?

Long outages for a patch isn't anything new. And add in Network changes and it's *very* easy for things to go south. I don't blame them for that.

However when it does come back up, the same stupid bugs that have been here for years will still be here. My Risa beachcomber shirt will clip like it's in tatters, my female BOFFs won't be able to equip the Merc uppers that I paid for, my ground BOFF powers will reset at random and my space power tray will fly apart, etc.
  • Options
    midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    Okay, some people are starting to attack each other - please stop this now!
    Please be civil to each other; We don't want to be giving out warnings!

• Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Great, so till 7 eastern? this is getting ridiculous, but not unexpected for cryptic.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    ussgalaxyhorizonussgalaxyhorizon Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Hi everyone is the sever still down I am on United States East Coast.
  • Options
    mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    A *lot* of us were really hoping to finish off our last "Flying High" mission and get our new ship, AND get our next TIaB rerun reward. It's like Cryptic is trying to hold back that owed payoff as much as possible.
This discussion has been closed.