Retiring Lohlunat Pearls

Comments

• Options
    midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    Ok. . .

The bad...

1, so not fair on the ones who don't get time each year thus stockpile for next year.

2, you best not get major sever issues thus not allowing players to complete it in their own time scale (meaning when players get the time to do it in balance to real life issues)

3, pearls are bound to character not account thus meaning if you don't have enough to partake in this offer your sol.

lastly, your not giving the event it's due as many played right up to last minute getting a stock for next year, changing things each year negates the need to play any longer than needed.

The good,

1, means everyone will start from scratch which is good means people will have to play the event instead of slot project and fill = new ship.

and

2, maybe more people in the map means better community gathering.

sorry there are more negatives than positives but I can't really see much merit tbh.

time will tell though.

Peeps that have stock piles, like me can trade them in for other goods, so you can still gain things.

Major issues in the past usually mean an extension of the event - this has probably also meant more players having more time to previously stock pile more of the pearls!

I do hope that something can be done so that you do not loose all your progess
  • Options
    pwefailpwefail Member Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    New event is DOA for me .new ship can die in a fire,.whats the bet they do this Charlie Roger Alpha Papa for the xmas event as well.

Capital effing MEH !
    The player formerly known as Chunter.
  • Options
    ammianusammianus Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Wait,starship emotes? Seriously Cryptic? This is really a stupid idea...on high level of stupid. And also, we do have Summer event in the middle of Iconian War. Something sounds seriously wrong here...
  • Options
    mrgrocer56mrgrocer56 Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    worgaus wrote: »
    I can't say I care for this change at all. There was nothing wrong with how it worked in the past, and now for some weird reason you've decided to lock out any new characters from the older event rewards?

So on one hand you want us to make new characters and on the other you want to discriminate against them :confused:

Just leave it the way it was, what difference does it make if we ground out pearls in the past or grind them out now? We still put the extra time in to do it.

No no no. you are doing it wrong. Motto is "what have you ground for LATELY?"
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    dmt wrote: »
    Can I ask what is the situation regarding the lesser currency in the summer event: the lohlunat favor.

Is that also being retired, and if so what will be replacing it?

The favors will probably stay. They serve as a genuine currency (ie. medium of exchange that can be traded between players.) The pearls were just grinding tokens (standing in for time and nothing else), which players have been earning well in advance of the actual event by grinding extra the previous years (which doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you come to think about it. We all hate grinding, but some of us [myself included] been stocking up on it instead of metering it out over the course of multiple events....)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    EDIT: NM, the above post happened while I was typing. Rant removed.

Will our Q photos be going away too?

If your planning on retiring the Q photos could you do it now instead of waiting until the end of the year?

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • Options
    esperderekesperderek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This game needs less one-time-event-exclusive stuff, not more. The exclusive stuff from the Mirror/CC events is bad enough, especially since they've started offering more than just DOFFs, but now the starship events are going to be exclusive too.

"What, didn't get it done this year for whatever reason, or you joined after the event? SORRY. You're not special enough."

This is one of the lamest things you, as a company, have done.
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I can understand the rationale behind the new currency, but why retiring the old ships??

The "retain exclusivity" bit sounds like a bad excuse. It would be an incentive for new players to play the summer content, but instead, you're taking it away. Why?
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Peeps that have stock piles, like me can trade them in for other goods, so you can still gain things.

Major issues in the past usually mean an extension of the event - this has probably also meant more players having more time to previously stock pile more of the pearls!

I do hope that something can be done so that you do not loose all your progess

Eh this is one of their famed conversions where you lose what you gained and any progress is halted unless you grind their next grind. I'm gonna pass on this event this year.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    tk79 wrote: »
    I can understand the rationale behind the new currency, but why retiring the old ships??

The "retain exclusivity" bit sounds like a bad excuse. It would be an incentive for new players to play the summer content, but instead, you're taking it away. Why?

Simpler than retooling the projects to accept the new currency?

This is the one part that gets me (maybe its just extra "incentive" to grind now because there won't be a next time, mwa ha ha ha.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Lohlunat Favors can be earned, which can be traded for various accessories and costumes.

Risian Lohlunat Pearls can be earned and put into a project of the Event faction of the Reputation System to gain a[n Event ship.]

I think the solution is a bit short sighted in some respects. The devs need to come up with a new currency and icon every year adding to their workload. More busy work for them and less time spent on creative thinking for the players benefit. Why create unneeded work?

I strongly suspect that this new currency practice will set a precedent for event currencies from this point forward.

My pearls are worth more than Specialization Points.

How about a Lohlunat Pearl Goodbye Doff or Power (Ground and Space)?
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited May 2015
    I've never done one event for the Summer Event... so I have no pearls saved up.

Other players who care about the ships now lose their saved currency to get the new ship.

Everyone gets screwed!!!! (Unless you have a pile of pearls, then you can at least get Spec Points... salt in the wound for me. :mad: )

Do they have a "double birds" starship emote? :rolleyes:
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Can I slot a new project for a Risian Corvette or Risian Luxury Cruiser?

No. These ships are being retired with the start of the 2015 Lohlunat Festival.

That's kind of annoying. Well, to be honest, it's more of a tirade of expletives and a description of anatomically impossible sexual acts with dead farm animals...than just annoying.

So you go through and make it so folks were able to do the account unlocks to reduce the cost to be able to get the ships with the event...then decide to remove the ships so that won't be possible with any future characters that are created. Guessing the same will happen with the Winter ships too.

Meanwhile, you're more than happy to create the Delta Recruit event to have folks create all sorts of new toons - still happy to sell character slots so folks might have created new toons after the last Summer/Winter events...and then drop this out on folks?

I've always done the /facepalm at the folks that grumble that you hate the players...but this is sheer wtfness.
  • Options
    kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So sad they feel they have to try to rig their numbers so they can say people are playing specific content. Won't accept the fact that there is much that is not being played nor is there any interest for some that is not played. Gotta make people believe that there is not currently a large unsatisfied customer base.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • Options
    valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Will the new summer vendor items also disappear when the event is over, even with the store unlock (like the new winter stuff did)?
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Option to disable the ship emotes plox.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    valenn1 wrote: »
    Will the new summer vendor items also disappear when the event is over, even with the store unlock (like the new winter stuff did)?
    Checking to see about that on whether it's permanent, semi-permanent, or temporary.
  • Options
    z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ummmm.... i spent a lot of time collecting pearls, im kinda a bit peeved.
  • Options
    januhulljanuhull Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Stupid...really stupid.
  • Options
    ghostmatterghostmatter Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    That's really too bad. I wanted to use my leftovers to buy the ship. :(

You really should've announced the new currency at the same time.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    That's kind of annoying. Well, to be honest, it's more of a tirade of expletives and a description of anatomically impossible sexual acts with dead farm animals...than just annoying.

So you go through and make it so folks were able to do the account unlocks to reduce the cost to be able to get the ships with the event...then decide to remove the ships so that won't be possible with any future characters that are created. Guessing the same will happen with the Winter ships too.

Meanwhile, you're more than happy to create the Delta Recruit event to have folks create all sorts of new toons - still happy to sell character slots so folks might have created new toons after the last Summer/Winter events...and then drop this out on folks?

I've always done the /facepalm at the folks that grumble that you hate the players...but this is sheer wtfness.

I agree with pretty much all of this. This is a shady move. Who needs foresight and planning for the future when you can just treat STO like a gigantic Etch-a-Sketch whenever you feel like it?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    nuclearwesslenuclearwessle Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Whenever they do the lockbox rerun events the first sentence in the blog is always something to the effect of "we realize that as a f2p title newer players may have missed out on old items", and so they are made available again, waxing philosophical about the virtue of being able to get old stuff again. But this blog says they believe in exclusivity and that something that has passed should not be obtainable later.

So which philosophy are we going with here? Cant have it both ways. I honestly dont care, I just would like some consistency so I can plan accordingly.
  • Options
    midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    worgaus wrote: »
    I can't say I care for this change at all. There was nothing wrong with how it worked in the past, and now for some weird reason you've decided to lock out any new characters from the older event rewards?

So on one hand you want us to make new characters and on the other you want to discriminate against them :confused:

Just leave it the way it was, what difference does it make if we ground out pearls in the past or grind them out now? We still put the extra time in to do it.

The problem was too many people getting the shiny new ship on day 1 and not needing to come back and play for the rest of the event. Regarding the new characters, as long as you already have the ship on one of your characters your alt can still get the ship for playing the event once.

ficr wrote: »
    If your planning on retiring the Q photos could you do it now instead of waiting until the end of the year?

If they do retire those too, they'll offer different rewards; plus I doubt any decision has been made on this yet!

Originally the ships were not going to be available for the next year's event, so they're only moving to what they'd originally planned.
  • Options
    zipatroniczipatronic Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Are you taking the mickey!! I spent all that time last year getting enough pearls to be able to get this years ship without grinding every day.
    The toon i got them on is not a main toon i use every day so turning them in for spec points is a total waste of time for me.
    So unless you make any points gained able to be dropped into a pot and that are transferable to 1 toon i wont be taking you up on the fine offer.

Are you really trying to drive players away from the game??
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Simpler than retooling the projects to accept the new currency?

This is the one part that gets me (maybe its just extra "incentive" to grind now because there won't be a next time, mwa ha ha ha.)

Well, I might have new alts created after last summer that might want the Risian Cruiser or corvette. Too bad they can't now.

I dislike this whole thing the more I read into it.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    skyecolyo wrote: »
    Oh no you don't! I have new alts I need the Risian cruiser/corvette on. Don't you dare.

My personal hypothesis based more on speculation than fact, is that the new ship will be a T6. Probably pilot...

as for console sets.... dunno...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Can I make a request?

Please make the ship emote packs bound to account, so I can trade them to my alts that don't have Pearls saved up. (or not bound at all)
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    I agree with pretty much all of this. This is a shady move. Who needs foresight and planning for the future when you can just treat STO like a gigantic Etch-a-Sketch whenever you feel like it.

Yep and if shaking the etch-a-sketch doesn't work just revamp it. They are serious when they go this route though because the next blog will be more about their hard capped conversions. So they will explain to you how they are going to TRIBBLE you over and invite you to be screwed over even more.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This is an extremely bad design choice. I was hoping to enjoy the Events without having to worry about the grind for the next two years. If this was announced last year that each event will have a new token, then it would have saved a lot of trouble over the last year. So instead of running the event on three separate characters, I could have just run it on one.

If you are changing the Pearls, then you might as well add the Qmendations and Autographs as well to the store since obviously they will have to be changed as well. If this is due to a problem with players getting it on the first day of the event, then adding a method to convert the Pearls to the new token a couple of weeks after the event starts will certainly help. Some of us rather use our hard-earned pearls to purchase the Event ship than have to deal with the grind and no amount of Specialization points or upgrades will change that.
  • Options
    lordprotiuslordprotius Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Im failing to see the Logic in this move...

Youve got Mods defending it saying that they want players to participate more in the events and not get the ship day one and be done...

Ok, correct me if im wrong... but didnt they play the event ALL last year to get that many pearls to get the new ship for next year?

This is just a slap in the face to ALL players and just shows how much the "corporation" cares about the community.

Thanks but no thanks... I WONT be participating in the summer event now... guess ill go find something else to do while the event is live....
    #Aux2batman Lives!!

This discussion has been closed.