test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Retiring Lohlunat Pearls

Comments

• thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Exclusivity? You're pandering to ones who will never be happy if anyone but them has something?

This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ok, question about existing "projects"

I've got my Risian cruiser about 1/3 payed off...and of course have my corvette.

SO your saying I can continue the project with the "new" cueency.. ok.. But the ship is going to be retired... this begs some other questions.

I'd actually like a little bit more understanding on just what is meant by retired? I don't quite think it means its going go poof from my ship list but I could be wrong.

If it going to be retired, does this mean there is a replacement?

If there is a replacement for the Risian Cruiser and Corvette.. will we be able to trade in our existing ships for the newer ones?

Or will we receive any sort of credit towards the possible replacements ship if we all ready own the possibly older versions?

While I realize that normally if a special project of any kind is cancelled..that is it.. "poof" anything contributed to it is non refundable the studio could maybe, possible, change this? There is time before the event *lifts eye brows*

I did not get to spend time last year in game during the run of the summer event, and it is my favorite of the seasonal events in STO. Managed to get my KDF board though. Was pleased to see Gorn happily swarming about on long boards and having a great time doing it.

New dance emote this year? I do hope your motion capture. Its cheap to do these days. Two camera's and a software package. Please to sync dance emotes to a 4/4 tempo as it the most common tempo in popular music. You've got a perfectly good female samba dance emote, the male samba is NOT the same please go do a google search for cry'n out load you guys and gals! *sigh*) For all I know there might even be motion capture libraries out there by now. Go check out the dance animations in 2nd life that folks have done. Might be worth the time. We do like our STO to look right.

If you have not slotted the old projects you will not be able to again. If you have, you can complete them. All projects that are not completed by the end of the event disappear.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Now it's:

We realize you might have grinded ahead for these ships/special items in the past, but now you'll have to grind from scratch every single time.
    What I think people tend to forget is... "Grinding ahead of time" is not sparing you a single day of the grind. The only difference is that you get the ship earlier during the event. And if you want to have the experience again next year - guess what, you grind just as much every year.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • ea07ea07 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Brilliant joke, judging by the amount of people who actually fell for it! :D

You're all just a bit late with this one, since April Fools' Day is actually on April 1st, which was a month and a half ago...
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Almost 20 pages of outrage. How long until the Stephen Ricossa non-apology shows up?
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Was the conversion rate listed somewhere?
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    im not surprised the pearls are going out, they were too easy to get and frankly with the war story on the iconians coming, something had to give somewhere in the pipeline besides the players stockpiling.

but now the exchange prices are gonna go crazy expensive because now you can effectively "cheat" your way to a spec point at 200 ea, avoiding hours of pointless grinding. im not complaining because i just dont care that much about sto, but some may think that later down the road.

anyways, wonder what will happen to the summer event with those iconians on the verge of breaking through.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Lets be honest, you did not have to grind more last year. Plus that playtime was last year - they're looking to get people in game this year!

You do realize those people who did "more grind" last year, will just don't bother this year ... because all the "additional Grind" was / will be worthless !?

Which does get into that discussion...

Tom overplayed last year for this year.
    Tom will overplay again this year.
    Tom will overplay again next year.

...yeah?

So where is the loss of Tom's play in any of that? He's just working ahead a year, no?

Outside of Tom being told that this was the last event, and thus he would not overplay it for the next event...where is there a loss of play taking place on Tom's part there?
  • depc101depc101 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    Almost 20 pages of outrage. How long until the Stephen Ricossa non-apology shows up?
    How Long tell this gets closed out of sight out of mind
    vqpJOX.gif
  • kpg1usakpg1usa Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It would be more economically efficient to hurl expletives at your customer base, as you would achieve the same result on your bottom line, w/out developing a new currency.

Fire the new boss, his decisions are not logical. :mad:
  • drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    im not surprised the pearls are going out, they were too easy to get and frankly with the war story on the iconians coming, something had to give somewhere in the pipeline besides the players stockpiling.

but now the exchange prices are gonna go crazy expensive because now you can effectively "cheat" your way to a spec point at 200 ea, avoiding hours of pointless grinding. im not complaining because i just dont care that much about sto, but some may think that later down the road.

anyways, wonder what will happen to the summer event with those iconians on the verge of breaking through.

I don't think you can buy or sell the Pearls on the Exchange, so that's not happening.
  • voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well, give the ship to us as a delta reward.
    Now I guess that will make many a player quite happy, myself included. :P

Or, make it the next Featured Episode reward, hell yeah!
  • captainfelidaecaptainfelidae Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Wow theres some butthurt going on in this thread...
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Given the way things go in this game...they'll probably be leading the dancing out on the dancefloor...
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    drreverend wrote: »
    I don't think you can buy or sell the Pearls on the Exchange, so that's not happening.

i may have confused something else, tired right now, if thats the case then thats me done for the day.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Lets be honest, you did not have to grind more last year. Plus that playtime was last year - they're looking to get people in game this year! Regarding over playing as you knew you could use it next year - sorry but it was never specified that would happen only assumed - yes I know it is an assumption based on what they previously did, but things change!

I will add, that I did exactly the same thing as well - I have plenty of pearls that have been sitting in my bank for nearly a year - but I'll just trade them in for Specialization points instead.

Where did I say I had to grind more last year? I Said, Even though I got my shiny on day one, if I wanted the next years ship (which I do) I would still have to play >>>BUT<<< I played MORE because I knew (as they have said in the past) anything earned would be useable.

Yeah, they're looking to get people to play THIS year, which I would have done to get next years ship. They're not losing out on any play time from me.

Until now,

because now rewards are useless once you have what you want.

So the plan backfired here.

:rolleyes:

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    i may have confused something else, tired right now, if thats the case then thats me done for the day.

You're thinking of the Lohlunat Marks or whatever the heck they're called. The ones you use to buy swimsuits and jetpacks.
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Exchange prices . . . Pearls are bound right? . . . Favors are on the exchange
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
    edited May 2015
    You do realize those people who did "more grind" last year, will just don't bother this year ... because all the "additional Grind" was / will be worthless !?

So instead of having a blast, playing the Summer Event on ~5 Toons like last year ... I'm just going to do my "mandatory" 3min of "Flying High" & move on ... if they wanted me to play less during Summer, they certainly did a great job ....

I too was one of those people. I however, will still be in each and every day - I have 41 toons to get the new ship for!

Plus, after we get the ship we do not yet know what items we might be able to trade in additional currency for yet!.. I'm sure that will be another blog!
    edited May 2015
    What I think people tend to forget is... "Grinding ahead of time" is not sparing you a single day of the grind. The only difference is that you get the ship earlier during the event. And if you want to have the experience again next year - guess what, you grind just as much every year.

I know I have time now. I don't know if I'll have during the next event, so I will use the time now to make sure I can get the rewards then.
  • kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Half of you are talking about one thing: pearls
    Half of you are talking about another: favors

pearls: needed a 1000 for a ship and were character bound
    favors: needed to buy everything else on Risa and were sellable on exchange.

They are getting rid of peals. The ships weren't that good anyway. Who cares?
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    Alright, since I've gotten the ranting out of my system in my earlier post (hopefully), I thought of a possible solution that Cryptic can take the make this bitter pill go down a little easier:

Put the previous years ships in the Dilithium stores (account wide) for people who have already claimed them in previous events, this would allow people with new alts to get these old ships on new toons and keep their 'exclusivity' at the same time.

It wouldn't help the matter that entirely new players would never be able to get these out-of-date ships, but I guess that's the plan behind this move...

One thing, though, when the summer event hits if I lose the unopened ships on my toons I'm gonna be pissed! :mad:
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You reward an awful grind (pearl grind in and of itself wasn't bad but the favor grind was dreadful) by encouraging more grinding? This move really has me laughing. Let me see if I understand the logic here- let's punish players for saving up hard earned pearls by giving them spec point packages to use towards another the spec point grind (which needs to be revamped to not take so long). Wow, just wow. Trendy, it would have made more sense to revamp the spec grind and then introduce these consolation prizes, not the other way around. It seems disingenuous to say you will be able to use the pearls for future projects or even to create the expectation that they will be useable in the future, only to then turn around and snatch it away. I'll never understand these decisions and the face palming was strong with this one.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
    edited May 2015
    You really should have lead with the shiny new ship to soften the blow of losing the best looking ship in the game.

Just when you've got me thinking about ending my spending boycott over what you did to ships with T6 you go and pull this. Guess my Delta won't have a Corvette.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I too was one of those people. I however, will still be in each and every day - I have 41 toons to get the new ship for!

Context ? ... that's still just 3min every day on one toon ... and 40 additional runs on the others ... no point in doing anything else, this year ...
    Plus, after we get the ship we do not yet know what items we might be able to trade in additional currency for yet!.. I'm sure that will be another blog!

Hypothetical, maybe not even existing, Rewards for Bonus Pearls (or new Currency X) ?? ... meh !?
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    TL;DR

This... pretty much sums it up.

The long version

If the retiring Pearls were being sold for Lobi, at the same rate you charged us to obtain them in prior years, I could see retiring them.

If the retiring Pearls were being sold for the new Currency (Risian Prophylactics?), I could see retiring them. Though why you'd bother retiring the Pearls at that point, I don't know. Just that that would keep me from being quite so displeased with this, because apparently you want us to grind now, instead of having the foresight to grind for next year... because planning and foresight are bad for the community?

If the retiring Pearls were indeed no longer obtainable, but our new characters (especially Delta Recruits) could still use the new currency to obtain the old ships at the same discount, I could see retiring them.

If the prior ships were being re-released in T6 versions this year, I could see retiring the T5-U versions. I'm not seeing that being announced given that this year's ship singular rather than plural.
    Once you have earned the new 2015 starship

If you hadn't just spent a couple months (plus the work/coding leading up to it) on an Event designed to help new characters catch up to old ones, I could see retiring the ships. Of course, Delta Recruitment was just that, in the company's own words.
    Delta Recruits are specifically designed to rapidly close the gap that exists between new characters and characters that have been in Star Trek Online for years.

Really... this seems like a poor move all around. While I appreciate that you tried to give us something in return for our prior efforts, overall the things being taken away (reward for planning and access to fun old ships) outweigh those efforts. This change needs to be retracted...

Now, if you want to retire the old ships one-at-a-time once you've hit your Event 3-pack, replacing them with T6 versions... then I'm cool with it. Just outright removing things from the game, though, it a poor decision.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • ragingloliragingloli Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The scamminess of this movie is truly mind boggling.
    But considering the amount of hackfraudery you pulled recently (hideous dilithium sinks, horrible xp grind from 50 to 60, horrible spec point grind, and massive xp nerfing in both missions and doffing), not unexpected.
  • r5e4w3q2r5e4w3q2 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Can I slot a new project for a Risian Corvette or Risian Luxury Cruiser?

No. These ships are being retired with the start of the 2015 Lohlunat Festival.

Well this is all kinds of... No chance to buy them before you get rid of them? At the End of the festival I can understand, though I disagree with. Before the the festival is just evil.
    edited May 2015
    depc101 wrote: »
    How Long tell this gets closed out of sight out of mind

As long as people remain respectful and abide by the rules the thread shall remain open.
This discussion has been closed.