What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Priority one interview with geko

Comments

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It is odd...the way he talked about where they've done all these KDF Science Vessels and they just haven't sold.

Yeah...uh...

The Varanus.

Then there were the Advanced Dysons that were basically there with the Fed and Roms.

That's it. The Korath's a Lock Box boat.

Oh wait, the Phalanx and the Draguas? Yeah...nobody bought the Draguas for the AA... /cough

That was just a mind-boggling comment...Hell, even with the Delta Rising launch - all the folks wondering where T6 KDF/Rom Sci boats were...meh.

And omfglol...there's a demand for even more KDF Battlecruisers?

I need to go smoke...

edit: I should have waited...

1:22:42

"So probably the last Tier 6 ship we make to achieve that goal of refilling our coffers will probably be a Klingon Science Vessel of some sort."
    They also have the data from Fleet versions of KDF (or Gorn) Science Vessels. Their data is certainly more spotty than for the Federation, but that doesn't mean they don't have it.

I certainly want a KDF Science Vessel. But I didn't buy the Dyson one, for example, because I thought only the Romulan ones looked nice (which is the one I bought). But it's still a sign that I, as a potential buyer, didn't want them enough to take just anyone.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    LOL what?! Replaced with what? Something like undine assault or storming the spire? Is this some sort of joke on your part?

Geko had mentioned touching up or something of the sort in regard to the old Borg STFs...
    They also have the data from Fleet versions of KDF (or Gorn) Science Vessels. Their data is certainly more spotty than for the Federation, but that doesn't mean they don't have it.

Fleet DSSV

31350 Hull
    1.43 Shield Mod
    500 Crew
    X, X
    X, X
    X

X, X, X, X
    X, X, X

2 Tac - 3 Eng - 5 Sci (3 Tac - 3 Eng - 5 Sci w/ T5U)
    11 Turn
    0.15 Impulse
    33 Inertia

Fleet Varanus

31350 Hull
    1.32 Shield Mod
    750 Crew
    X, X
    X, X
    X

X, X, X, X
    X, X, X

3 Tac - 3 Eng - 4 Sci (3 Tac - 3 Eng - 5 Sci w/ T5U)
    11 Turn
    0.15 Impulse
    40 Inertia

Wonder what the metrics are for folks flying around in the Fleet DSSV compared to the oodles of other Fleet Sci the Feds have...
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Geko had mentioned touching up or something of the sort in regard to the old Borg STFs...

… Better hope not as in removing.

Perhaps my game experience in STO has been a bit monotonous the past three years but quiet frankly wherever I look, friendliest, fleets, pugs, elite/dsp channels… the moment the latest event is done, the reput of the season grinded, the newest ship mastery unlocked and spec tree filled peeps tend to do one thing… check it all out in ISA.

If they patch it or the other classic Borg STF away or twist them into an anoyance they may take away the very reason for a lot of peeps to play. I hope he realizes that and plans accordingly.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Lol...let me go back to it...it was just a discussion on skills. Meh, nah, I'm not going to back...I'll just paraphrase it (might be off a bit, but keeping the gist).

What does Power Insulators do?
    That affects moving power from one system to another.
    No, that's Flow Capacitors. No wait, I'm wrong there...it's...
    No, that's right - Flow Capacitors.

And as a defense mechanism...my brain just shutdown.
    My thing wasn't you guys...it was Al's bit. I don't expect average players to have way too much STO knowledge ready to spill out...but I expect a wee bit more from the lead designer. Sure, he's got a bajillion things on his plate - but it's his day job - his day in and day out job. Expectations are just a wee bit higher. I don't expect him to be able to rattle off formulas, don't expect him to quote the exact percentages things provide, etc, etc, etc...but the gist of what the skills are...meh.

I think this shows that Geko is no longer involved with (or even aware of) the details of the game's mechanics. I doubt Borticus would have confused Starship Flow Capacitors with Starship Electro-Plasma Systems.
    Eh. Why?

All the abilities probably have different names internally anyway. And when he's playing, he probably has STO Wiki up in a tab. I don't bother learning all the Science/Engineering power names either. I just have STO Wiki up in a tab.

And at meetings, they probably call these things like "Power shift" and "Make it go". Why bother learning "Starship Graviton Generators" if you have five people in a meeting who all refer to it as "Space Knockback" all day, every day? You only ever call it "Graviton Generators" when you're writing a tooltip. And maybe somebody else writes that tooltip.

Even if the internal names are different, someone who worked with the systems day-to-day would know the relationship between the internal and external names.

FYI, there are multiple bugs with doff assignments in sector space. Yes, the bugs were reported on Tribble, quite early in fact. No, doff assignments don't stay the same in the Bajor Sector; that's one of the bugs that I reported on Tribble. Here are the bugs that I've found:

List of duty officer assignments not updating correctly in sector space

There are more that other people have found.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Just kind of comes off as a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy sort of thing. Do a mix of subpar ships and then complain nobody's buying them...when it comes to some of the KDF stuff there.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    LOL what?! Replaced with what? Something like undine assault or storming the spire? Is this some sort of joke on your part?

i wrote "replaced", not "removed". they could be replaced by better versions ;) ISA - next generation, without the lag and rubberbanding and the false optional.

And why not an elite ISA for the DPS monters. Instead of spheres the gate spawns Tac cubes :P

i don't want to see ISA or KVA removed, but just replaced by better versions.

btw, i hate storming the spire and undine space stfs. :P
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Tell me you're kidding.. the Borg STFs (ground ones at the top of all) are the only queues I play regulary & enjoy them, well aside of Borg Disco, which I also enjoy, but don't play, due to being weak in space and not all that invested into it anyways.

Removing content we enjoy will *not* make us play content we, for one or another reason don't play. It's a sure way to upset players and send them away, rather than entice them into playing "something else." - and while I may be wrong on this front & don't really want to speak for anyone else - I believe I'm not alone who thinks this way.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Just kind of comes off as a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy sort of thing. Do a mix of subpar ships and then complain nobody's buying them...when it comes to some of the KDF stuff there.

The thing is, that is exactly what they did.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I don't see the problem with removing old queues that nobody plays.

And about the kdf science ships: I am one of those dozen people who bought them. They were not that good
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    i wrote "replaced", not "removed". they could be replaced by better versions ;) ISA - next generation, without the lag and rubberbanding and the false optional.

And why not an elite ISA for the DPS monters. Instead of spheres the gate spawns Tac cubes :P

i don't want to see ISA or KVA removed, but just replaced by better versions.

btw, i hate storming the spire and undine space stfs. :P

Well ok if you put it that way I think id like them being more featured. Just hope no bad changes (like time gates) are inserted. :)

Tell me you're kidding.. the Borg STFs (ground ones at the top of all) are the only queues I play regulary & enjoy them,
    I believe I'm not alone who thinks this way.

No you’re not alone. Basically everybody I know favours the Borg STF (in my case also ground) over all the other maps released later on.

Reason is simple, they are fun and your time/effort/reward ratio directly corresponds to your team’s performance.
    animated.gif
  • Options
    guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Reason is simple, they are fun and your time/effort/reward ratio directly corresponds to your team’s performance.

Also not riddled with 1000 cutscenes that interrupt your gameplay.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited April 2015
    starsvoid wrote: »
    You have a point, but there is no real reason behind the enduring popularity of ISA. The reward is meh, the length is meh, the fun factor? Meh! Yet, it's still the go-to queue. DPS junkies like it because there's little lag time between mission phases, but that's it.

Imo there are good reasons ISA is and has always been a popular Q to play

No cutscenes

No warping to different places

No wave after wave of enemys on a time limit.. you face fewer higher quality enemys instead of waves of weak enemys

until recently no fails ..........That needs to be changed

Depending on your group it can take 3 to 15 minutes

It doesn't have the Dumb requirements like Borg disconnected where you cant be shot when communicating ........I mean really what nonsense

The reward is poor, for the reward its not worth doing like almost all space STFs are now
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    They should put in longer cooldowns, then people would have to play more diverse range of queues instead of grinding the same thing over and over.

And unique rewards you can't get elsewhere. Because if everything gives the same rewards people will just play the easiest/fastest things.
  • Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    They should put in longer cooldowns, then people would have to play more diverse range of queues instead of grinding the same thing over and over.

And unique rewards you can't get elsewhere. Because if everything gives the same rewards people will just play the easiest/fastest things.
    Some people actually play games for... fun. So they won't "diversify" and play queues they won't enjoy. Surprise! :D
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    edited April 2015

I do not agree

They need to have reward verses time spent

Rewards should be players choice

playing something that isnt fun is not why people come to the game in the first place

• Options
    edited April 2015

20k Dil & 8 Salvage Techs within the hour? No CDs are going to stop my toongang from playing the maps I like how often I like. ;)

Cryptic of course could introduce a account wide CD.. urgs… nahhh think about mirror and CC events, they are not going to do it.
    animated.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    what newer stuff is better ?

pugs don't know how to do the newer stuff either

• Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So, if a quote here is correct, borg ships reserved for faction? Well that pretty much confirms they will do so and gives us playable cooperative vessels, just like they said about Romulan ships in the past. It's happening! I just wonder how they will deal with things like cubes etc, they are pretty freakin' huge after all for many missions or social areas, they'd dwarf even Scimitars.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So, if a quote here is correct, borg ships reserved for faction? Well that pretty much confirms they will do so and gives us playable cooperative vessels, just like they said about Romulan ships in the past. It's happening! I just wonder how they will deal with things like cubes etc, they are pretty freakin' huge after all for many missions or social areas, they'd dwarf even Scimitars.
    The fact that they are being reserved for a potential Faction does not mean we will ever see that Faction - it might be several years before they get around to Borg. It took them 3 years to get around to Romulans - and the license expires in 2018, and neither party might choose to not renew. Plus, as they have said several times, if they do a Borg Faction it will be Hugh's group, not the actual Borg. So yo probably will not see a Cube.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ...the only consistency in here is inconsistency :mad:... #stol
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    The fact that they are being reserved for a potential Faction does not mean we will ever see that Faction - it might be several years before they get around to Borg. It took them 3 years to get around to Romulans - and the license expires in 2018, and neither party might choose to not renew. Plus, as they have said several times, if they do a Borg Faction it will be Hugh's group, not the actual Borg. So yo probably will not see a Cube.

Thus why I mentioned cooperative, which Hugh works with, and they did in fact use cubes. I certainly don't expect them to be in the works any time soon, probably not until after this year is out at least. But this parallels what was said about Romulan ships being reserved for a Romulan faction. So what it means is pretty clear at this point, long as STO remains healthy for a good while more, we are sure to see it happen. The license shouldn't be pulled long as the game keeps making money. So far it looks like it is, especially with the high success of the Delta Recruit event drawing both more people in, and getting long timers like myself to start anew on fresh characters.
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Why would you retired PvE ques that aren't done any more. Because noone does them? Well I can tell you how to fix that.

1) Change the reward for the ques that award dilithium/gear. Between reputations and R&D, the gear is no longer needed, besides it only drops XII at best, and that's if you're lucky. This could be changed in to 5-10 man that award R&D materials and Dilithium. Which is also shorten the que time for them as well as play time. The Big Dig and Breaking the Planet tend to take a minimum of 30 minutes to play. With all the new, easy mode gear, maybe 20 minutes.

2) The Stfs that aren't played any more. Well you want to fix those. Let's see, take the gear out of the Reputation, put it back on a vendor, add MKXII, XIV, and XV. Then, return to the old way of doing of, Start at MK X, and farm your way to MKXIV. Make reputation gear only upgradable through the reputation store. You know, you have to have the previous set, the marks, and the approriate level of reputation to get it.

3) Add in an adjustment program during the load TRIBBLE. It takes in to account what the players are wearing and adjust the enemies accord to that power level. I am loathe to say this, but adding in and overall item level(God can't believe I'm barfing up WoW here), then the scan can average that overall party item level out to make the STF more challenging to players.

4) Fix the Godforsaken, (Optional) fail so that it doesn't fail the STF for Advanced mode at least.

op·tion·al (ŏp′shə-nəl) adj. Left to choice; not compulsory or automatic.

Now mind I have completed Brotherhood a few times with the Orion dying. But thats a bit of an iffy, because everytime I do Brotherhood, both Orion and Targs spawn as Optional. Think I've seen one where only one optional spawned. The trick to this is. Clear all the Heralds in the area, DO the OPTIONALS first, then do the devices. If go to save the Orion and start the device, he returns to his original spot and you fail, can't have any annoying heralds on the board when you try to save him and the devices SPAWN ten of them.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    trennan wrote: »
    Why would you retired PvE ques that aren't done any more. Because noone does them?

Because they're too lazy to fix them.

It's easier to just 'retire' them instead of actually putting an ounce of thought into fixing them. Somehow, Geko still doesn't get that in this game, like every game, it's a question of effort vs. reward.

You make the que rewarding and make it so that it doesn't take an hour to complete, and players will flock to it. You over complicate things and offer scraps as a payoff and you'll have empty ques. Instead of re-evaluating the mission and the rewards, it's easier for them to just remove it.

It's the lazy and unimaginative way to 'fix' a problem.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015

They'd better not, they're the only real fun missions to play left in the game save a few exceptions.
    guilli88 wrote: »
    Also not riddled with 1000 cutscenes that interrupt your gameplay.

Amen.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    aoax10 wrote: »
    What is the fleet revamp all about?

Lol, you know what a good fleet revamp would be? Replacing all that gear which they've rendered useless (The Iconian rep shield was the nail in the coffin) with stuff people actually would want to spend fleet credits on.

1) Boff abilities
    2) Gear that actually matters
    3) T6 fleet ships

Now revamping fleets will probably mean the return of the dil sinks since they would make us grind one more tier.

On another note, it's funny he wants to revamp fleets when there is so much stuff that is older and should take priority over that.

1) PvP - Because a revamp was promised back in 2010. Fast forward to 2015 and nothing.
    2) Doffing system - Fixing the crit/success/fail logic on all assignments. I think Borticus said they knew how to fix it but this would involve a lot of time because they'd have to fix each assignment individually.
    3) Accolades - Fixing all the remaining bugs in it, cleaning up unachievable stuck ones, making accolade points useful for something.
    4) Trophies - Yes, trophies, they're in the game, but you can only show them in some ships.
    5) STFs - Keep continually adjusting rewards to average time spent in each so they're all equally attractive to players.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Thus why I mentioned cooperative, which Hugh works with, and they did in fact use cubes.
    Every Coop Borg I have seen in this game is not using Cubes. They seem to be using the Vessel Borg Type 03 as seen in Decent.
    I certainly don't expect them to be in the works any time soon, probably not until after this year is out at least. But this parallels what was said about Romulan ships being reserved for a Romulan faction.
    We have known the plan was to make multiple Factions since Launch - there were Faction banners put on the website expressing this, but only KDF was filled. A Coop Faction is not unexpected. I am simply saying do not assume it is "coming soon" based on a casual Dev statement in a Podcast. :)
    So what it means is pretty clear at this point, long as STO remains healthy for a good while more, we are sure to see it happen. The license shouldn't be pulled long as the game keeps making money. So far it looks like it is, especially with the high success of the Delta Recruit event drawing both more people in, and getting long timers like myself to start anew on fresh characters.
    Having dealt with a lot of licenses in my career I can tell you it is more complicated then just that. I can almost guarantee that STO's license is royalty-based with a guaranteed minimum. So just to throw in a random number, the license probably says something like: 20% of all sales with a guaranteed minimum of $2,000.000.00. So Cryptic gives CBS 20% of every dollar they make and have to give them at least $2 million, no matter how much STO makes.

I would also point out that many games were making money when they were shutdown. It is seldom just about red and black, but also about ROI - can you make more money investing $5 million a year into X or into Y? That is just the way businesses think.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't know for you guys, but this time Geko did it.
    It's like he is dropping candy from his mouth when he talks about future things coming to the game.:D
    I hope that the remastered cardassian arc gets a release with the new cardasian faction expansion.:)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    rakija879 wrote: »
    I don't know for you guys, but this time Geko did it.
    It's like he is dropping candy from his mouth when he talks about future things coming to the game.:D
    I hope that the remastered cardassian arc gets a release with the new cardasian faction expansion.:)

And it rains gum drops!
    He has a lot planned.
    I can't wait!