Install Arc
Options

The Heralds of the Iconians

Comments

• Options
    giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    quistra wrote: »
    These guys look like wizards straight out of WoW.

Are we World of Trekcraft now? Come on. So far the plot has made sense, but fighting wizards and golems in Star Trek? Give me a break.

I always get a nice deep laugh out of statements like this by people who obviously must never have actually seen the whole of Star Trek. Star Trek is a space fantasy universe with loads of space magic, and indeed even explicit space wizards. It's canon, mate. Don't like it? Go play another one of your gritty space marines rage games.

I repeat, I'm not even remotely exaggerating here. TOS and TAS and TNG and DS9 and Voyager et al all literally had berobed old men with staffs using "magic". This is established Trek stuff, as were fighting dinosaurs, and Dyson Spheres, and everything else this ignorant community TRIBBLE about as being un-Trek-like when they are all in the blasted show! If you are not a Trekkie, what right have you to be so frelling opinionated about things about which you know nothing! Get off my bridge!

What I see it as is a species who has a clear control over gravity. I'd imagine having a centralized spot that you can directly control with gravitational force would allow you to do some rather terrifying up-close damage (I'm currently considering the gravitational relativity in value for black holes) closer to the source. This combined with the fact that they as a species seem to have mastery over transportation powers means that up-close fighting would actually be their forte.

Think of it this way, if you can close the gap with your opponent almost every single time, why WOULDN'T you try to min-max your melee abilities? :P

Message received, you spoiler. Many thanks.
    Greenbird
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I always get a nice deep laugh out of statements like this by people who obviously must never have actually seen the whole of Star Trek. Star Trek is a space fantasy universe with loads of space magic, and indeed even explicit space wizards. It's canon, mate. Don't like it? Go play another one of your gritty space marines rage games.

I repeat, I'm not even remotely exaggerating here. TOS and TAS and TNG and DS9 and Voyager et al all literally had berobed old men with staffs using "magic". This is established Trek stuff, as were fighting dinosaurs, and Dyson Spheres, and everything else this ignorant community TRIBBLE about as being un-Trek-like when they are all in the blasted show! If you are not a Trekkie, what right have you to be so frelling opinionated about things about which you know nothing! Get off my bridge!

Yes! You Are Correct Sir!

And very well said I'd say. Damn lil bee-eightch TRIBBLE's need to STFU once and for all PLEASE for the Love of Warp Speed!

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Magicks_of_Megas-Tu_%28episode%29

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708423/reviews

Gah! Here! Let me just Google Search It For YOU: http://bit.ly/1EoblPS

Shine On, giannicampanella! ;D
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It starting to make some sense that there was another Dyson Sphere (Herald Sphere) when you traveled through the gate in Uneasy Allies mission to find out that you are in the Andromeda Galaxy. I was playing Sphere of Influence on my Delta Toon and that's when I noticed something when reading those database entries...

"Alert: Gateway in Andromeda active"...
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series
  • Options
    daxn8jrvdaxn8jrv Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm really excited for the Iconian things, but I always like to think ahead. I was thinking, the origins of the Borg is unknown. I thought that it would be cool if after the whole Iconian thing there could be something on the Borg again. Maybe like exploring into their origins. Maybe a powerful species that is trying to build or create a new army or improve on the Borg. Since the Borg where kinda defeated and crippled, they want to come back to power, even though the Borg where their face and no one knew of their existence. Anyone else think that's a good idea???
  • Options
    captainmikeccaptainmikec Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The Heralds are not a servitor race. They were not conquered, coerced, subjugated, bargained with, or grown.
    There are probably billions of Heralds. The Iconians have had hundreds of centuries to breed them and build their army.

I see a contradiction there....

And i have to agree, the trek is starting to feel more halo-ish....
    "Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us, shall we not revenge?"
    -General Chang
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So now brutes with energy hammers.

Halo - check

Mass effect - check

Starship Troopers - Check

Star Wars - Check (crystalline sword)

Tron - Check

Can we get some Battlestar and Buck Rogers added?

:rolleyes:

Give them time they will work BG and Buck Rogers into thier list of things to make since they lack originality to come up with something uniquely their own.

Halo

Starship Troopers

Star wars

Tron

Yeah i cant wait to hop around the trek verse in a battlestar or basestar
  • Options
    ailmereailmere Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I just hope that the player's characters are thanked more besides getting a promotion then being pushed away to make room for the bloke who did one thing against the many things you did. Only the pedestrians thank the players for saving them multiple times.
  • Options
    giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Originally Posted by sentinelblue View Post
    So now brutes with energy hammers.

Halo - check

Mass effect - check

Starship Troopers - Check

Star Wars - Check (crystalline sword)

Tron - Check

Can we get some Battlestar and Buck Rogers added?

For Buck Rogers, we've got the new Radiant ground armour, as well as TMP uniforms. 1970 space fantasy pulp is just the coolest.

Also, those Cylons from Voyager lockbox ships are Basestary. A pity we can't play as androids in STO.
    Greenbird
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    daxn8jrv wrote: »
    I'm really excited for the Iconian things, but I always like to think ahead. I was thinking, the origins of the Borg is unknown. I thought that it would be cool if after the whole Iconian thing there could be something on the Borg again. Maybe like exploring into their origins. Maybe a powerful species that is trying to build or create a new army or improve on the Borg. Since the Borg where kinda defeated and crippled, they want to come back to power, even though the Borg where their face and no one knew of their existence. Anyone else think that's a good idea???

Actually the origin of the Borg isn't unknown... well, unless if you read the non-canon stuff.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Borg_history

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/V%27Ger

In some strange way the Borg are connected to VGER and a race of "Living Machines" in some way.

There is some info about the iconians and their rise and fall and all that other stuff.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Iconian

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

• Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Breeding them =/= growing them.

One implies test tube laboratory genetics, aka the clone army from Star Wars, the other is just making sure they fudge.

So what you're saying is ... we'll be facing some horny bast@rds !!! :eek:

... ooohhh myyyy ...
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    So what you're saying is ... we'll be facing some horny bast@rds !!! :eek:

... ooohhh myyyy ...

Then may the most handsome folk in the alpha quadrant stand up and prepare to make love, not war? ;)
  • Options
    megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    e1im wrote: »
    I thought Iconians are called that way because they come from the planet Iconia. Since the Heralds also are native to Iconia, this officially makes them "Iconians" as well. So, now we have 2 types of Iconians? Or is there any other reason that Heralds cannot be referred to as "Iconians", except for not to confuse the two species? It's a writing mess, IMHO.

Correct, Haralds are Iconians, they are from Iconia so they are Iconians.

The devs should have just went with calling them an Iconian sub-species or something along those lines.
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    The borg are suggested to have come into contact with V'ger in STO.

Several borg ships look like scaled down versions of V'ger.

Yeah like the Unimatrix 0047 Command Ship which is a smaller version of V'Ger.

"The design and weaponry of the ship is an obvious allusion to V'Ger.
    Executive producer Daniel Stahl is an outspoken fan of V'Ger. Why the ship is there and what it represents is left to speculation at the moment. Two options on the subject have been suggested in the past:

- Gene Roddenberry once hinted at the possibility that V'ger's ship was constructed by the Borg. Hence Spock saw a virtual image of the Borg homeworld and melded with the hive mind. This idea was later revisited by William Shatner's novel The Return.

-The back story of the game Star Trek: Legacy speculated that V'ger was an integral part in the creation of the Borg Collective in his quest for knowledge through assimilation."

"V'Ger took its mission to heart and learn everything it could to extremes, as it absorbed everything it was exposed to, and having learned everything, wanted to return to Earth to impart its knowledge (by old-style radio waves) and join with its creator. Realizing that the fate of Earth was in their hands, Commander Willard Decker joined with the entity and programmed the information it needed to transmit its data. Once the two were joined, the entity evolved onto another plane of existence and headed for the Andromeda Galaxy. (TOS movie: Star Trek: The Motion Picture; TOS - Star Trek II Short Stories short story: "To Wherever")"

• Options
    rjoy79rjoy79 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Y o Y does 1 of those Herald ships remind me of a Reaper from Mass Effect?
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rjoy79 wrote: »
    Y o Y does 1 of those Herald ships remind me of a Reaper from Mass Effect?

Because you haven't played enough Halo to see the more obvious inspiration material (Herald=Forerunner, only with more eyes and better looking ships). :P
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bjornfried wrote: »
    Well acording to TOS. Iconians a threat to all of our galaxy!? Not plausible. Kirk once met peacefull beeings with allmighty power, that stoped a beginning war between the Klingons and the federation just with theyr love for all living beeings.
    The Organians.
    So, scrap that bullcrap and get back to star trek.
    Thanks.

Oh really?

Then what was all the fuss about here?
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    daxn8jrv wrote: »

It's occurred to me that they might have been created by the Vaadwaur. According to Gedrin, they only controlled a few star systems when the Supremacy was at its height. Given the rate they spread, I wouldn't be surprised if they were very new to the galactic table at the time.
    bjornfried wrote: »
    Well acording to TOS. Iconians a threat to all of our galaxy!? Not plausible. Kirk once met peacefull beeings with allmighty power, that stoped a beginning war between the Klingons and the federation just with theyr love for all living beeings.
    The Organians.
    So, scrap that bullcrap and get back to star trek.
    Thanks.

The Organians ignored the Dominion War. They don't give a TRIBBLE about what happens to us.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    i1100101i1100101 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think it's A good tsiwt on everything in STO. Well, that's if you're me and haven't really played anything other than STO, Trackmania, and RollerCoaster Tycoon 3. Maybe there will be some new foundry content involving heralds. I knew it right from the start. Right when uneasy allies came out, and I saw the delta recruits start and end dates on the calendar, I knew that "late spring" would possibly be May 21 in reality. Get ready, for heralds and their fury. I'm predicting (and not to sound like ancient aliens here) that one herald will be some sort of "breakaway herald" and will "share" technology to fight against the Iconians. And somehow develop an untried way at the last minute to make the delta allaince's "adapted" tech a little better than the herald's tech. And/or the character somehow "infiltrate" the main "base" of the Iconians. Probably the Dyson sphere in the Andromeda galaxy, as storywriters often connect other plotlines to intertwine and "soap opera" them up. STO Season 10 Predictions from me.
    <01100101>
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,769 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jake477 wrote: »
    Honestly guys, this doesn't even LOOK like Star Trek....try Mass Effect:

Less superstitious nonsense and more...SCIENCE.

The Borg achieved Godlike powers through pure tech and that is a PURE STAR TREK enemy.

Pardon my snip.

Law Three.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm sympathetic to the view that the Heralds seem more like fantasy creatures than sci-fi aliens.

But really... Q runs around snapping his fingers and making things happen, and that's okay in Star Trek because he's an "advanced" race. We've even seen things like that before in TOS. Does Trelane ring a bell? How about Apollo?

What's more believable? That aliens are able to teleport at will and use gravity weapons shaped like staves and clubs? Or that the Organians were able to make every kind of weapon in the entire Neutral Zone hot to the touch instantly and without any apparent effort?

Now, I'm not necessarily giving Cryptic a pass on this. I want to see how it unfolds.

But I have some ideas.

One, having 'shock troops' that are capable of devastating close combat is good for intimidation. That sounds like an outcome the Iconians would like to have.

Two, you can wipe out a planet from orbit but you can't control the population that way. Unless the goal is complete eradication, you need boots on the ground. Which suggests that perhaps the Iconians don't just want to win. They want to become masters of the galaxy again, complete with as many subjugated races as they can get.

Three, I think the Klingons scare the Iconians more than anything else because Klingons have no problem with the idea of close combat, are fine with the idea of dying in battle, and are in complete opposition to being ruled by non-Klingons. It explains why the Iconians manipulated the Undine into trying to destroy Qo'NoS and why the Iconian appeared there to try to throw a scare into the Alliance. The Iconians' shock troops simply aren't going to intimidate the Klingons into submission.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    captainfelidaecaptainfelidae Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I actually feel sorry for the Iconians... The Klingons are too dumb to be scared of them, And the Feds are going to take about 10 minutes re-engineer/subvert/neutralise their tech and find a way to use it against them.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    I don't mind their abilities per se. It's their design. Seeing the Heralds doesn't evoke "Star Trek" to me. They look more like they should be in World of YouKnowWhat or some other generic fantasy game IMO.

Sure, that's a valid complaint. I'm not overwhelmed by the design myself. They're not going to change the looks at this late date, of course.

I'm curious, though. Given what's been shared about the Heralds so far and understanding that their powers are going to focus on teleportation, portals, and gravity control in close-combat...

I'd like to see some fan artists' takes on what they think the Heralds ought to look like.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek