test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

WBC goes to picket Leonard Nimaoy's funeral. Calls it off because they got lost along

Comments

• Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    And I misread that to say that you guys ate Sharpies. THAT would do it... :eek:

Still not sure what Sharples is.

The dining hall on campus. >_<

Yeah, it...wasn't pleasant. My roommate's an awesome guy, he woke up at 1 AM and helped me with the...uh...alimentary tract inversion. Great guy.
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    artan42 wrote: »
    Which is wrong, no matter who said it.

Religion tells people what to think, whatever their particular 'truth' is. Science teaches people how to think. If it can't be tested, then it's irrelevant to science, i.e. the accumulation of knowledge.

I am well aware of the scientific method. What Einstein was saying is that there is room for both, the spirit and the mind. If you dont believe in it, thats up to you. Not my issue there.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Religion and Philosophy is good at explaining why things are the way they are, but sucks at explaining how things are the way they are. Science is good at explaining how things are the way they are, but sucks at explaining why things are the way they are.

Science says that the universe was created with a Big Bang, but it doesn't explain why the Big Bang occurred. Personally, I think Family Guy has the best explanation for why the Big Bang occurred.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    worffan101 wrote: »
    True, but frankly, I'm burned out from 2 big papers, a midterm, and a nasty bout of food poisoning.

Maybe not right now?

You have no right to complain about being burned out form any subject once you have taken or are taking Organic chemistry :P.

When a subject makes people change majors, there is a problem.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Religion and Philosophy is good at explaining why things are the way they are, but sucks at explaining how things are the way they are. Science is good at explaining how things are the way they are, but sucks at explaining why things are the way they are.

Science says that the universe was created with a Big Bang, but it doesn't explain why the Big Bang occurred. Personally, I think Family Guy has the best explanation for why the Big Bang occurred.

science does not say the universe was created with a big bang...it's a theory. religions like most all myths explain nothing. they give pat answers and no proof and expect you to believe. magic is the rule for those kind of myths not science. science searches for answers without resorting to magic as the answer.
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    You have no right to complain about being burned out form any subject once you have taken or are taking Organic chemistry :P.

When a subject makes people change majors, there is a problem.

Trust me, Bio 2 made 16 people out of 50 change majors in the first class.

Not because of the professors, who are great, but because it's f*cking hard.
  • Options
    ddplattddplatt Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Westboro is an extremist group, enough said. They do not represent the majority of Christians.

With that said, this post proves to me the OP only wishes to incite more political debates.

Also, this has nothing to do with STO.

The hole point of a forum is to debate and talk, what a jobs worth you are.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    science does not say the universe was created with a big bang...it's a theory. religions like most all myths explain nothing. they give pat answers and no proof and expect you to believe. magic is the rule for those kind of myths not science. science searches for answers without resorting to magic as the answer.

A theory is accepted as fact until future observations disprove it. So it is possible that some other theory might give a better explanation for how the universe was created, but right now Science states that the universe was created through the Big Bang. To say otherwise would degrade theories to the same level as opinions.

As far as religion and myths explaining nothing, that is completely wrong. Lots of myths explain why some natural phenomenon occurred without the resources for a more reasonable explanation. Just look at Greek mythology. Greek mythology stated that lightning bolts were thrown by Zeus. At that particular point in time, there was no way to prove that they were actually electrical discharges. So someone living in the sky throwing lightning to the ground was a decent explanation for the people at the time. The Greeks gave an explanation why lightning occurred, but they never gave an explanation of what lightning is.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    A theory is accepted as fact until future observations disprove it. So it is possible that some other theory might give a better explanation for how the universe was created, but right now Science states that the universe was created through the Big Bang. To say otherwise would degrade theories to the same level as opinions.

As far as religion and myths explaining nothing, that is completely wrong. Lots of myths explain why some natural phenomenon occurred without the resources for a more reasonable explanation. Just look at Greek mythology. Greek mythology stated that lightning bolts were thrown by Zeus. At that particular point in time, there was no way to prove that they were actually electrical discharges. So someone living in the sky throwing lightning to the ground was a decent explanation for the people at the time. The Greeks gave an explanation why lightning occurred, but they never gave an explanation of what lightning is.

This.

/10char
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    A fail of truly biblical proportions.
    jellico1 wrote: »

Or a Jem Hadar
    Don't forget the Vorta.

What about my Iranian Shiite character Jaleh Khoroushi? I've made her faith a key part of her character and I've gone to great lengths to portray her practice of Islam accurately and positively.

I prefer an entirely different interpretation of the Federation. It's not an atheist state, it's a secular one. When you enter the Federation Council or swear the oath of enlistment in Starfleet, check your scriptures at the door: you're not a Christian or a Hindu or a Wiccan or a Bajoran Prophetist, you're a Federation citizen.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited March 2015
    'Haters gonna hate'.

I feel sad that by giving groups like WBC or SD (yes, they are the same) airtime by chatting up their antics, we impart legitimacy in some form. Theres nothing wrong with any one persons beliefs until it becomes a practice that impacts others.

And it's in that act that they gain some form of personal empowerment.

Where we can ignore, it's far simpler and more powerful. By not acknowledging their actions they are forced to push the boundaries to maintain that empowerment, or go away. It's in that line they cross that we can rid ourselves of them.

Whether it be someone misrepresenting a 3500 year old tome as divine scripture, or saying their actions represent their 'Dear Leader's wishes', they are individuals we should - and rightly - ignore.

Last point. No sense in conflating the actions of a few as somehow representing an entire group or movement. Society is full of dicks and idiots. Some just dress better than others ;)

My Two Bits

Admiral Thrax (within the boundaries of the TOS).
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Same with how I write the Romulan Republic, starsword.

Though in that case, it's because the main non-Rihan characters are all on D'trel's ship, and D'trel's a mama bear who frankly scares those in Command who would be dumb enough to raise a stink.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    'Haters gonna hate'.

I feel sad that by giving groups like WBC or SD (yes, they are the same) airtime by chatting up their antics, we impart legitimacy in some form. Theres nothing wrong with any one persons beliefs until it becomes a practice that impacts others.

And it's in that act that they gain some form of personal empowerment.

Where we can ignore, it's far simpler and more powerful. By not acknowledging their actions they are forced to push the boundaries to maintain that empowerment, or go away. It's in that line they cross that we can rid ourselves of them.

Whether it be someone misinterpreting an overly edited 3500 year old tome again, or saying their actions represent their 'Dear Leader', they are individuals we should - and rightly - ignore.

My Two Bits

I disagree. I've always been a fan of Mel Brooks' attitude to Adolf Hitler, which is to reduce him to an object of ridicule so that nobody can ever possibly take his ideology seriously ever again.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited March 2015

a theory is NOT accepted as fact...where the hell did you dredge up that stupidity at? that's why they're called THEORIES. eg, best guess with available or known evidence extrapolated.

zeus and lightning bolts...are you seriously trying to use mythology as in anyway pertinent to modern science? really? /facepalm. though in one way it works...that was the greeks THEORY, it wasn't fact except to a few who believed in the myths of the greek gods...very few. it was unproven and could not be proven...no one saw zeus throw thunderbolts.

but hey, that kind of thinking is still here in modern times...trying to use myths and magic to explain what they cannot understand. next time you want to post a rebuttal of any sort think it through. myths explain NOTHING. they are worse than theories as there is no scientific method behind them...things just are the way they are with no explanation, no science, nothing.

higgs boson was a theory...until it was discovered...lets see you find zeus k? don't know whether to laugh or be saddened by that kind of willful ignorance. insanity...believing in things that aren't there. believing in myths as if they were real...sheesh

protip, type into google 'define theory' be educated.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    I prefer an entirely different interpretation of the Federation. It's not an atheist state, it's a secular one. When you enter the Federation Council or swear the oath of enlistment in Starfleet, check your scriptures at the door: you're not a Christian or a Hindu or a Wiccan or a Bajoran Prophetist, you're a Federation citizen.

This is my view of the Federation as well. The TOS Enterprise had a non-denominational chapel aboard and it is possible that TNG Enterprise and Voyager did as well or the Holodeck was used as a temporary chapel, but religion never had a major impact on Star Trek due to Gene Roddenberry's beliefs.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited March 2015
    I disagree. I've always been a fan of Mel Brooks' attitude to Adolf Hitler, which is to reduce him to an object of ridicule so that nobody can ever possibly take his ideology seriously ever again.

Hence this late addition:
    Last point. No sense in conflating the actions of a few as somehow representing an entire group or movement. Society is full of dicks and idiots. Some just dress better than others ;)

My Two Bits

While I won't be one to disagree with Mel Brooks, I don't ever remember him saying that in an interview or in his books. I could be wrong.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    While I won't be one to disagree with Mel Brooks, I don't ever remember him saying that in an interview or in his books. I could be wrong.

Last place I heard him say it was when American Masters did a bio on him a couple years ago. Also came up in an interview in '01.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    spockout1spockout1 Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Agree on the secular part, but I would think that you don't really check your scriptures at the door per se. You would still be allowed to practice your religious beliefs, just not be able to impose them on others. Separation of church and state - as it were.

Maybe this is what you were saying and I misunderstood.
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. Except for a T5 Connie. That would be f*%#ing awesome." - Mr. Spock
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    what is the WBCs grievance with nimoy of all people?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,369 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Same as their grievance with comics; paying attention to anything but their own rather idiosyncratic interpretation of Scripture constitutes "idolatry", and is therefore sinful. And even worse, Mr. Nimoy starred on a TV series in which creatures claiming to be divine were invariably shown to be fakes of one sort or another (ancient supercomputers, creatures which were merely highly evolved, that sort of thing).

Then again, the WBC hold that everyone is horribly sinful and we're all going to Hell, even them. They seem positively gleeful about the prospect.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,043 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015

Either what jonsills said... or just any excuse to protest against anything they don't believe in and since it would be a high profile event, they'd get media coverage for their stupidity.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    spockout1 wrote: »
    Agree on the secular part, but I would think that you don't really check your scriptures at the door per se. You would still be allowed to practice your religious beliefs, just not be able to impose them on others. Separation of church and state - as it were.

Maybe this is what you were saying and I misunderstood.
    Yeah, that's what I had in mind, except they're better at it than the US is.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Simply being involved in a franchise which is considered to be mostly democratic/liberal in terms of ideals and such.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    I am well aware of the scientific method. What Einstein was saying is that there is room for both, the spirit and the mind. If you dont believe in it, thats up to you. Not my issue there.

No he wasn't. The quote was simply classic apologist talk trying to stop religious people being critical of science by suggesting the two are interlinked. Spirituality has as much to do with science as sub-prime mortgages have to do with plumbing.
    a theory is NOT accepted as fact...where the hell did you dredge up that stupidity at? that's why they're called THEORIES. eg, best guess with available or known evidence extrapolated.

Really? Then please jump off a building, sit in the San Andreas fault, or walk around a infected site without a mask and tell me that gravitational theory, tectonic theory, and germ theory are not fact :rolleyes:.
    zeus and lightning bolts...are you seriously trying to use mythology as in anyway pertinent to modern science? really? /facepalm. though in one way it works...that was the greeks THEORY, it wasn't fact except to a few who believed in the myths of the greek gods...very few. it was unproven and could not be proven...no one saw zeus throw thunderbolts.

but hey, that kind of thinking is still here in modern times...trying to use myths and magic to explain what they cannot understand. next time you want to post a rebuttal of any sort think it through. myths explain NOTHING. they are worse than theories as there is no scientific method behind them...things just are the way they are with no explanation, no science, nothing.

higgs boson was a theory...until it was discovered...lets see you find zeus k? don't know whether to laugh or be saddened by that kind of willful ignorance. insanity...believing in things that aren't there. believing in myths as if they were real...sheesh

protip, type into google 'define theory' be educated.

Try Google the word hypothesis mate. Then have a wee look at how real scientists (of which there are a few on these forums) use the word theory, then look at how you think it's used, then realise you are wrong.

Also try rereading the posts you quoted, I don't think anyone equated the Higg's Boson to Thor.

They are dicks and he's a public figure known worldwide.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited March 2015

A) They're morons.

B) The WBC may be best knowm for homophobia, but they're also anti-Semites and Nimoy was Jewish. The Vulcan salute is based on a Jewish gesture of blessing.

C) He's closely associated with a franchise that has historically been extremely critical of xenophobia in all forms.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited March 2015
    A) They're morons.

B) The WBC may be best knowm for homophobia, but they're also anti-Semites and Nimoy was Jewish. The Vulcan salute is based on a Jewish gesture of blessing.

C) He's closely associated with a franchise that has historically been extremely critical of xenophobia in all forms.

Add to that:

The WBC likes sh*tting on sad things. Because they suck.
  • Options
    grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The way I see it, religion is less of a hassle if you just ignore it. People are entitled to their beliefs and
    myths, just don't go around shoving them down the throats of the people who don't find them necessarily or at a guys funeral.
    Nobody take offence to this, but I see religion as something that started thousands of years ago to combat the fear of death. It is easier to believe you will go some place nice if you are terminated than simply living with the fear of uncertainty of what will happen. Since then, hundreds of wars have arisen that killed millions, all because both sides had different views on death.

Just my two cents:).
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Really? Then please jump off a building, sit in the San Andreas fault, or walk around a infected site without a mask and tell me that gravitational theory, tectonic theory, and germ theory are not fact :rolleyes:.

that's sheer stupidity. attempting to argue that a known quantity even if not completely understood (like gravity, biology however is understood and not a theory) is somehow equivalent gravity exists, so what if it isn't completely understood? you feel it everyday..if you had a point somewhere i fail to see it...just sophistry. they are heories because as of yet there is nothing that can completely account for everything that occurs. or, the actions cannot be seen or quantified.

nice try, borrow some IQ next time and think things through instead of trying to be clever.

Try Google the word hypothesis mate. Then have a wee look at how real scientists (of which there are a few on these forums) use the word theory, then look at how you think it's used, then realise you are wrong.

Also try rereading the posts you quoted, I don't think anyone equated the Higg's Boson to Thor.

They are dicks and he's a public figure known worldwide.

lrn2read, the original was to zeus you need to read whom i replied to. or did you get lost thinking you were being clever? a theory is a GUESS. a best guess but still a guess. deal with it. scientists on these forums...lol. no matter how YOU disagree a theory is as i stated...deal with that as well. it's always meant that it's not a complete answer and may be changed as new evidence is discovered.

if you choose to redefine it that's your problem. not mine.

and fyi, just because something works and isn't completely understood doesn't make how and why it functions any less of a theory.

i swear i've seen some stupid **** on these forums...but you take the prize tribble. trying to claim a theory is fact just because natural laws work. ignoring the fact that they are theories because they aren't completely understood how they work.

maybe you should put down douglas adams and read some non fiction for a change.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,369 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Okay, dead, try it this way.

The Big Bang theory fits all the available data, including some that didn't exist when it was first theorized. No other theory so far has fit the data. Therefore, we can treat the theory as factual - with a scientist's usual version of skepticism, which involves abandoning the theory should more data come to light that doesn't fit. See phlogiston and aetheric theory for examples.

Interestingly, the Big Bang also fits the Abrahamic tale of creation, if you regard those tales as metaphors dumbed down for the consumption of people with no concept of numbers larger than maybe two or three hundred (because seriously, who has more goats than that?). This may, of course, be coincidence. As Elim Garak once observed, coincidences happen all the time.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    that's sheer stupidity. attempting to argue that a known quantity even if not completely understood (like gravity, biology however is understood and not a theory) is somehow equivalent gravity exists, so what if it isn't completely understood? you feel it everyday..if you had a point somewhere i fail to see it...just sophistry. they are heories because as of yet there is nothing that can completely account for everything that occurs. or, the actions cannot be seen or quantified.

nice try, borrow some IQ next time and think things through instead of trying to be clever.

Those things are all theorys, germ theory is a scientific theory the same as tectonic theory, elovutanry theory, big bang theory etc. Just because you only understand some of them or think you are only able to observe some of them, it dosn't make them any less of a theory.

I don't need to try be clever, 'I'm (not to be imodest) am.
    lrn2read, the original was to zeus you need to read whom i replied to. or did you get lost thinking you were being clever? a theory is a GUESS. a best guess but still a guess. deal with it. scientists on these forums...lol. no matter how YOU disagree a theory is as i stated...deal with that as well. it's always meant that it's not a complete answer and may be changed as new evidence is discovered.

if you choose to redefine it that's your problem. not mine.

and fyi, just because something works and isn't completely understood doesn't make how and why it functions any less of a theory.

Do you know what grammer is or is it one of those concepts (like a dictionary) that seems to be beyond you?

A theory is not a guess, you seem to be mistaking the scientific definition for one of common ussage, that sort of argument is usualy followed by a statment about the Earth being only 6000 years old.
    i swear i've seen some stupid **** on these forums...but you take the prize tribble. trying to claim a theory is fact just because natural laws work. ignoring the fact that they are theories because they aren't completely understood how they work.

maybe you should put down douglas adams and read some non fiction for a change.

And you win the tribble for thoroughly unpleasant chap. Also that you for taking note of my choice of reading material, it's nice to see good literature reconised occasionally.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
This discussion has been closed.