test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

WBC goes to picket Leonard Nimaoy's funeral. Calls it off because they got lost along

mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Ten Forward
Cannot make this sort of LOL up, folks!

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/mar/03/leonard-nimoy-funeral-westboro-baptist-church

The Westboro Baptist Church were foiled in their attempts to protest at the funeral of Star Trek actor Leonard Nimoy on 1 March, because of their failure to find it.

— WBCVideo (@WBCVideo) March 1, 2015
Leonard Nimoy's funeral is today, but nobody is sharing WHERE. So Westboro AND @WilliamShatner can't attend :(https://t.co/FBwkrfmEGM

:D:D:D
Post edited by mhirtesc on

Comments

• Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Westboro is an extremist group, enough said. They do not represent the majority of Christians.

With that said, this post proves to me the OP only wishes to incite more political debates.

Also, this has nothing to do with STO.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Westboro is an extremist group, enough said. They do not represent the majority of Christians.

With that said, this post proves to me the OP only wishes to incite more political debates.

Nimoy has nothing to do with STO?
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    honestly, the fact that those people are not already in prison is a testimony to the cultural and intellectual degeneration of the USA. They are like the mold on a decaying loaf of bread, a visual indicator that it is time to throw the bread away.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It would seem "their" God loves Leonard more than He loves them.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    Nimoy has nothing to do with STO?

Does not matter who they are targeting, a radical extremist group has nothing to do with this game.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    To me, the bit about WBC wanting to picket Nimoy's funeral is old news.

They are simply trolls. Just like a certain fleet that I won't name.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    To me, the bit about WBC wanting to picket Nimoy's funeral is old news.

They are simply trolls. Just like a certain fleet that I won't name.

What disturbs me is how they have children wearing shirts saying"God hates f*gs*
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Haha, troll FAIL by the WB"C"!!!

And yeah, they do not represent my faith at all. Had I been in that part of the country I would have seriously considered counterprotesting. No insults, no signs, just a cordon to keep them at a distance. I would, however, give them the LLAP sign. Somehow I suspect they would be too ignorant to know where that comes from.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    gulberat wrote: »

And yeah, they do not represent my faith at all. Had I been in that part of the country I would have seriously considered counterprotesting. No insults, no signs, just a cordon to keep them at a distance. I would, however, give them the LLAP sign. Somehow I suspect they would be too ignorant to know where that comes from.

They'll call us fake Christians then for being against them XD.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    baudl wrote: »
    honestly, the fact that those people are not already in prison is a testimony to the cultural and intellectual degeneration of the USA. They are like the mold on a decaying loaf of bread, a visual indicator that it is time to throw the bread away.

I think the fact that these clowns have not been set on fire on top of a mound of tires is proof as to how much our country respects freedom of speech. If they acted up like this in any other country, they'd either be in a rubber room or in a gulag by now.
    gulberat wrote: »

The WBC tried to picket Comic Con once a few years ago. The photo of the counter-protestor in a starfleet uniform holding a sign that reads "God Hates Jedi" and "God Needs A Starship" are my favorites.

http://urbanprankster.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/tumblr_l618crcbrl1qz7ebao1_500.jpg

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/articles/48000/lgbt_48555_6.jpg?cache=1279951825
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    I think the fact that these clowns have not been set on fire on top of a mound of tires is proof as to how much our country respects freedom of speech. If they acted up like this in any other country, they'd either be in a rubber room or in a gulag by now.

The WBC tried to picket Comic Con once a few years ago. The photo of the counter-protestor in a starfleet uniform holding a sign that reads "God Hates Jedi" and "God Needs A Starship" are my favorites.

http://urbanprankster.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/tumblr_l618crcbrl1qz7ebao1_500.jpg

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/articles/48000/lgbt_48555_6.jpg?cache=1279951825

WHo the heck pickets comic-con ?_?.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    They'll call us fake Christians then for being against them XD.

Haha, probably so.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited March 2015

I though everybody hated the Westboro Baptists?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    hartzilla wrote: »
    I though everybody hated the Westboro Baptists?

Everyone but themselves probably.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    Yeah... there was also a group of counter-protesters from a local Christian church (I personally know several people who were present as part of that group).

Counter-protesting Westboro? I approve.
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Everyone but themselves probably.

Still, the likelihood of those nutjobs posting on this board to "debate" us are so incredibly improbable, you'd probably need a quantum computer to calculate the odds.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Never heard of them and like any other religious groups I don't want to hear of them, religion has no place in Star Trek.

You ignore a lot of species' cultures then. What happened to 'diversity" hmm?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Counter-protesting Westboro? I approve.

Me too. As mentioned before, had I been in the area I would have been up for a counterprotest myself. The LLAP would be my "weapon" of choice. They want to play at what they think is their "literalist, fundamentalist" Christianity? I would show what the big part they forgot, to bless those who curse you or otherwise do not agree with you, literally looks like. (Of course, it should go without saying that if they took their faith seriously, they would not have been able to arrive at such sick, extremist positions to begin with, but I will say it anyway to make sure it is absolutely clear.)

I suspect they would be too ignorant to realize that the LLAP gesture is in fact a Jewish blessing, a fact that Mr. Nimoy himself explained...and in the interview where he explained that, he got a kick out of the fact that people were blessing each other without even realizing it. Now THAT would be a way to do honor to his legacy! :D

• Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    baudl wrote: »

Don't get me wrong I HATE Westboro Baptist church just as much as Muslims hate Terrorists, and for the same reason. They are extremists who give all Christians a bad name! That being said, they aren't doing anything illegal and do have a right to freedom of speech even if we don't like them. I dislike a lot of people, Extremist Liberals, Extremist Feminists, Marxists etc. but they have a right to freedom of expression as long as they stay within the bounds of the law.

In my opinion, trying to take away someone's freedom of expression is a far more evil crime than being a bigoted *******.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I mean in the Federation, other cultures sure, but by the 24th century I hope that like wars and disease they are a thing of the past.

This line of reasoning, taken towards people's cultural and religious beliefs, can very quickly snowball into people using it as rationale for acts every bit the match of religion's worst cruelties.

• Options
    ssargonssargon Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    They must be stupider than I thought if they'd try to do something that'll TRIBBLE off Trekkies. Particularly the Klingon LARPers that have and know how to use a Bat'leth.

...Actually, that'd be kind of fun to see.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    They're an extremist group who claims they are Christian and make the news about once a week due to their hateful picketing. Often they picket military funerals and claim that the soldier's deaths are justified due to the government's failure to ban homosexuality... etcetera.

Honestly, they have no place in a religious discussion either. In this case it's only tangentally related to Star Trek because of whose funeral it was.

What makes it worse is they try to proclaim it's all part of God's plan.
  • Options
    sal1111sal1111 Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    samt1996 wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong I HATE Westboro Baptist church just as much as Muslims hate Terrorists, and for the same reason. They are extremists who give all Christians a bad name! That being said, they aren't doing anything illegal and do have a right to freedom of speech even if we don't like them. I dislike a lot of people, Extremist Liberals, Extremist Feminists, Marxists etc. but they have a right to freedom of expression as long as they stay within the bounds of the law.

In my opinion, trying to take away someone's freedom of expression is a far more evil crime than being a bigoted *******.

That isn't 100% true. There is such a thing as hate speech laws.

In Canada what the church in question does would be called hate speech and they would not be legally allowed to continue.

In the country they operate in... the politicians have failed to include everyone in there laws. Cause lets be honest they feel to many of you secretly side with such thinking.

Anyway I'll bow out now... didn't intend to jump into a politics debate.

Human kind will solve the issues facing it when it decides to set aside religion completely. Until then it is what it is.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    No reasoning there at all, I just hope religion like wars and diseases is ancient history by the time we reach the 24th century. I personally feel that religions around the world have done nothing to further the human species and indeed have held it back for millennia. Everyone has a right to their personal beliefs, these are mine, please don't take offence.

Suffice it to say I consider that a very selective reading of history, whereas a comprehensive reading instead shows both good and bad. Human nature is such that people will use any excuse they think they can, to justify their own selfish or malicious desires. They try to twist religion to serve them because they think that makes them somehow unassailable. It doesn't.

• Options
    ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Never heard of them and like any other religious groups I don't want to hear of them, religion has no place in Star Trek.

You're right if you mean in a discussion like this. But in Star Trek? Well yeah, it has a place.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.