test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tachyon Beam - Updated Values

Comments

• aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So ... , hull tanking is back in style or is that just wishful thinking ?

... Cuz hull tanking actually requires consoles other then the ones Cryptic's trying to sell you ... :)
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    110 Insulators dont really cut it against the whole mob. The problem isnt that a single TB does much, the problem it comes in mobs and the one with the dps will draw agro.

I propose: The Threatmechanic should be revamped: The one with the least dps should have the most aggro. That would make pugs even more fun. :D /irony
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    110 Insulators dont really cut it against the whole mob. The problem isnt that a single TB does much, the problem it comes in mobs and the one with the dps will draw agro.

I propose: The Threatmechanic should be revamped: The one with the least dps should have the most aggro. That would make pugs even more fun. :D /irony

Hrmm, if threat only worked off of actual threat...where it was actually DPS...and not me flying around with my [+Th] consoles, using Attract Fire, and so forth to inflate my threat artificially...

...it leaves me feeling like I'm a wee bird puffin' out my chest and telling yo momma jokes at the Borg. :(
  • leethorogoodleethorogood Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So what are you going to do about it??? some more?

The ways to resist it are there. The immediate action to take to STOP the drain is there. Or are you angry that you actually have to worry about your hull resists now? Are you angry that you have to take an immediate action against a serious danger and not just faceroll it?
    First of all I'm not angry, more like annoyed/irritated. I don't see the point in putting any more points into Power Insulators as the 150 odd points I do have don't seem to be having any kind of affect as it is now! :(

Could you elaborate further on where you stand on this topic as I'm finding it hard to understand exactly what your position is and therefore where your coming from with your arguments. :confused:
  • suzy32suzy32 Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Finally npc can fight back
    edited February 2015
    The PVP crowd should know what to do in these cases. There's enough Science players out there that fly Drain Boats as well as guys flying builds that land lots of effects and hazards on you in an attempt to debilitate you for an easier kill. The PVPers have long dealt with lots of hazards.

But not so much in the PVE crowd it seems :D
    Never mind my previous post I get it now! :rolleyes:
  • synthiasuicidesynthiasuicide Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, after experienceing this new drain, I changed a few things, First the Delta shield 50% Drain Resistance...hmm. not good enough.

Slapped on a Particle Field exciter with 40 Something Plasma resist. Changed a few skills, Added Rally Point III to my Command ship. And made sure to leave them Rally Points where a couple teammates would be for the Clusters.

Took in 70% of the Overall Damage and hits. And did 79% of outgoing heals and such. Felt good. Like a reason for a Healing/Tank to exist. lol.

And did 30k. So I like it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I find the situation.. slightly.. ironic?

I was concerned exactly about this (and inertial dampeners) situation happening whenever we get the skillpoint revamp, but it seems like the drain-spam issue has already surfaced by other means..

I'm still on the fence about the overall implications of the change; but it's clear that it benefits the (inflated) NPCs a LOT more than it does the players.
  • sharxtremesharxtreme Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Yup, sci captains playing pure sci in STFs are always frowned upon. I'd be perfectly fine if they did both of those.

FYI - The spheres do still use EPtE, but it was nerfed compared to the payers version in terms of length.

In ISA where i play i don't even notice EPTE on spheres. cant even read their buffs because of fast dying, but even if they do is not noticeable at all.

Try Elite patrol in delta quadrant with borg in. Well, those spheres are what i imagine borg should be in space combat.
    edited February 2015
    Hrmm, if threat only worked off of actual threat...where it was actually DPS...and not me flying around with my [+Th] consoles, using Attract Fire, and so forth to inflate my threat artificially...

...it leaves me feeling like I'm a wee bird puffin' out my chest and telling yo momma jokes at the Borg. :(

Well, at least ST can explain why you can enhance your threat like that and it is not magically bestowed upon you.
    edited February 2015
    If you adjust your build AWAY from your 30-50K DPS builds, your shields will do fine. Those [Pla] embassy consoles instead of the shield repair ones aren't doing you any favors. My ship ran two ISAs and its shields did fine.

I dont think slotting a single powerins doesnt affect dps that much :D That aside, I have seen today, that from 30-50k you dont really need shields. A silver of it maybe, but the rest you can just migitade and heal.

The shieldrepairs ones are laughable in their performance.
  • jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015

Let's base threat on ship size and number of weapons. Total volume displaced times number of energy weapons = threat. Or, bonus point if you make it % of target's viewscreen blocked out times number of visible shots leaving your ship at a time. That gives credit for distance to target and FAW. :P
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
    edited February 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    Well, at least ST can explain why you can enhance your threat like that and it is not magically bestowed upon you.

Yes, because I'm amplifying my weapons signature and you're trying (albeit unsuccessfully) to nullify yours.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

• warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Never mind my previous post I get it now! :rolleyes:

So you get how to counteract against the stronger NPC Tachyon Beams? Or are you going to be like many in this thread that will stamp their feet in anger that they have to do something else against these attacks?

I said what I said because it's a very simple and true observation. If it seems like a PVP vs PVE thing, it is... Because the PVP crowd is used to seeing very heavy hazards landing, in particular from some Science-heavy builds. If you didn't know how to resist and/or counter those, you were going to die. But PVE?... Other than the high end Borg Plasma DOTs, until now, what other Hazards in this game did the NPCs do on you on a regular basis that you had to take proper action against it or risk destruction?

NONE. ZILCH. ZERO.

Believe it or not, SPACEbar does not resolve all issues in STO's combat. The PVE in this game does absolutely NOTHING to prepare you for more serious threats, as this thread and the complainers has excellently shown. Most esp so with some coming from veteran players that have been around a while but seem to not be aware of how to clear a simple hazard, which Tachyon Beam basically is.

As I've said before, the means to counteract these drains are already there in the game, and can be done so with even Ensign level abilities. Not to mention the other means on removing hazards that have always existed in STO. Your shields will drop... Yes, but you can take immediate actions to remove the hazard and get your shields back up to protect your hull. Or you can have a variant on that and have your hull resists (remember those guys???) protecting you until your hazard removal abilities are back.

But by all means, continue to stamp your feet in anger.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    I have both I and II Reverse shields. Almost bloody useless as they almost drain the shields faster then it can buff. Same with Shield Regen.

Lol, well, if if they aren't shooting at you with energy beams then yes, that will happen. RSP is also useless if someone drains your shield power to zero.

#PvPLessonsForPvEHeroes
    edited February 2015
    Lol, well, if if they aren't shooting at you with energy beams then yes, that will happen. RSP is also useless if someone drains your shield power to zero.

#PvPLessonsForPvEHeroes

Oh, hey! There's that Command Spec ability for "Captain Save A Ho" that can be used to save someone's behind also :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    NPC mechanics are like players ones except for bosses. If their Tachyon Beam seems too much, throw a powerful Tykens 3 at the mob and the drain becomes negligible because of low to no Aux. If their Siphon Lasts too long (I wish they buffed it on Been NPCs) then hit Aux and the length it lasts gets drastically cut.

Frankly I'm very glad the spheres got a science buff. Makes people actually have to think a bit more than just FAW and destroy.

Hell, I'll give you a new one. Drop a couple of the fixed AA consoles after Thursday.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Let's base threat on ship size and number of weapons. Total volume displaced times number of energy weapons = threat. Or, bonus point if you make it % of target's viewscreen blocked out times number of visible shots leaving your ship at a time. That gives credit for distance to target and FAW. :P

Still find it funny that targetable torpedoes explode on contact with the hit box of an enemy on the way to the intended target while non-targetable torpedoes fry right through other enemies to get there. Yeah, the resource requirements to put a collider around everything would...cause problems.
    edited February 2015
    So you get how to counteract against the stronger NPC Tachyon Beams? Or are you going to be like many in this thread that will stamp their feet in anger that they have to do something else against these attacks?
    It seems to me you're the one with the anger issue, at least that's how your posts are coming across, as I said before I'm not angry, at most I'm frustrated. I can assure you there won't be any foot stamping, angry or otherwise where I am concerned! :P

Personally I would like to hear from the Devs about whether the buff to the Borg/NPC Tachyon Beam is working as intended. If it is then fine, if it's not then I would like to see the Borg/NPC version fixed/nerfed without undoing the buff to the player version. :cool:
  • lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So I did some tests now after reading all those advices here. Using HEM to clean shield drain did work on the borg shield neutralizer, but the neutralizer is a joke compared with the TB. TB seems not to be affected by HEM. I could be wrong about this, but I could not restore shields with HEM and non RSP shield heals.

Using those new command abilities is not an option on my dkora. Rep and personal traits do help a bit of course, but not enough to be a real tank. I could do some hull tanking, but I am always feeling a bit like gambling with this. I am getting too often more than one of those mega torp crits.

I dont like that change and have not the feeling that it does improve gameplay. But if players like it, that seems to be a problem on my side. So conclusion for me, I will simply unslot most of my heals, increase my DPS again and stop pugging.
    edited February 2015
    It seems to me you're the one with the anger issue, at least that's how your posts are coming across, as I said before I'm not angry, at most I'm frustrated. I can assure you there won't be any foot stamping, angry or otherwise where I am concerned! :P

Personally I would like to hear from the Devs about whether the buff to the Borg/NPC Tachyon Beam is working as intended. If it is then fine, if it's not then I would like to see the Borg/NPC version fixed/nerfed without undoing the buff to the player version. :cool:

I'm just pointing out how amusing it is how many players in this game, including some veterans players, have no clue what to do in removing a very basic hazard.

It's amusing! Esp with the complaints that it's a "major TRIBBLE you!" to the players. Or that it's a CONSPIRACY by Cryptic to make you buy the Command Cruisers or whatever.

The counters to hazards are there... Easy to carry out. Matter of fact, people probably already knew the basics to removing hazards already due to the Borg Plasma DOTs I mentioned and did not realize the very same thing will save you from these Tachyon Beams. Instead, people are flying around here that it's an affront to the players, it's a conspiracy by Cryptic to get you to get Command related TRIBBLE.

You don't even need Command vessels to counter this. You don't even need Command Specialization abilities to counter this. You don't even need one single point into Command/Intel to counter this. What one needs is knowing what their fundamental abilities do and what's happening to their ship, then acting on it.

I'm laughing at all the panic going on as if a bunch of Tovan Khevs are screaming that it's a conspiracy against them. It's Basic STO Gameplay 101 to remove hazards. Nothing fancy.
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited February 2015
    I'm just pointing out how amusing it is how many players in this game, including some veterans players, have no clue what to do in removing a very basic hazard.

...snip...

I'm laughing at all the panic going on as if a bunch of Tovan Khevs are screaming that it's a conspiracy against them. It's Basic STO Gameplay 101 to remove hazards. Nothing fancy.

You're right. Using ST/HE to remove Dots/Tachyon is nothing new. When that actually has no effect on my survivability, however, I start to take issue with it.

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

• millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I wasn't even aware that this was categorized as a hazard.

I'm not complaining about the changes; they're noticeable but not totally game breaking.

But, the game desperately needs better documentation found in-game, and the developers need to completely abandon the concept that keeping mechanics hidden is beneficial in any way.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    by no less than SEVEN spheres using TB on me at the same time.
    Yeah, that's an issue.

Similar to how crew seems like such a garbage mechanic, when really the NPCs populating content just have an overload of crew-slaughtering mechanics, with 1+ on low cooldown on every NPC.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What's this, a change that makes the Borg like the Borg? An unstoppable force?
    Now they just need to give each sphere 5 million hit points, an incredibly fast regeneration and a cutting beam that destroys your ship in 3 seconds and we'll really have some fun!!!!!
    edited February 2015
    deokkent wrote: »
    Maybe you need to change your tactics.

It's kind of hard to come up with a better tactic than having high base hull and shields, coupled with high shield and hull resist, high defense, high hull and shield hps, and ST/HE on global, when trying to tank the borg.

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

• xlesha911xlesha911 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Emergency Power to Engines 3...
    100+ speed Manasa (console from Astika), Delta rep trait 25% speed + trait forn Eclipce...
    Fly like an Angel :cool:
    edited February 2015
    You're right. Using ST/HE to remove Dots/Tachyon is nothing new. When that actually has no effect on my survivability, however, I start to take issue with it.

HE removes the hazard, just like it did even before DR when the Cubes landed Tachyon Beams. But it was so weak back then that you never did anything about it. What Hazard Emitters *DOESN'T* do is recover your lost shield points. That's where your... you know... actual shield heals then come into play. But Hazard Emitters does grant a bit of resists.

Now, if you were one to roll around with 0 resists anyways, that small resist bonus is equal to stopping a freight train with a paper bag as a shield if you have lots of fire coming your way. But if you have Polarize Hull, that goes a long ways in giving emergency resists while the hazard is cleared and your shields are down. It protects you more than enough with whatever is coming your way short of a Invisitorp of Doom or whatever that the game decided, "It's time for you to die."

You use HE, clear the hazard, THEN pop your shield heals. TSS, EPTS, RSP, whatever. Only after the hazard is cleared. Otherwise it's like throwing gasoline into a fire.

Basic STO Gameplay 101 shall continue if anyone wants.
    I wasn't even aware that this was categorized as a hazard.

I'm not complaining about the changes; they're noticeable but not totally game breaking.

But, the game desperately needs better documentation found in-game, and the developers need to completely abandon the concept that keeping mechanics hidden is beneficial in any way.

Yeah, that's an issue.

Similar to how crew seems like such a garbage mechanic, when really the NPCs populating content just have an overload of crew-slaughtering mechanics, with 1+ on low cooldown on every NPC.

When the changes went in and I dived into my first ISA PUG with those changes, yes, I'll admit, it was surprising to see the shields drop. Then I just defaulted back to my old PVP days. Clear the hazards, get my shields back, I'm all good with moderate damage.

No problem.

The game's documentation had always been terrible. Case in point? Where do you go to find the true difference between the bonus damage given by something like a TAC Console, compared to the bonus damage from AMP, 2 piece Nukara, 2 piece 8472 Weapon Set? How many people in this game really know the significance of these bonuses? It's long been an issue since Day 1.

I've said it already earlier in the thread, this game does not prepare you for whatever fancy attacks that may come. Again, I point to a bunch of longtime players in this thread that had no idea how to clear this simple hazard and are freaking the hell out. The only way I learned to have proper action was getting ROFLSTOMPED long, long ago by a guy in his freebie Lv40 Intrepid while I was tearing it up in my Hegh'ta BOP. All the normal actions I took with a standard "pew-pew" fight didn't work, because Science didn't play by the same rules I did. I dove into really reading what my abilities, what my stats did to find a counter or at least mitigate the problems.

PVP forced me to learn that. But the PVE in STO doesn't push you to do anything but simple SPACEbar Spamming for most parts. Granted, very few games (if at all) do in fact show you point for point what abilities do what and what counters what. It's usually left to manuals and wiki sites for players to rummage through and gain wisdom. The harsh thing with STO though is that the NPCs do so few abilities that PVE alone will not prep you for some of the rarer attacks.

Another example: This is an old one, esp. before Scramble Sensors got nerfed (hard). In the very few instances in this game that Scramble Sensors is used on the player's team, how many do you think out there know the dangers of that condition staying on and not be cleared? How many people do you think know what ability removes that specific danger? What stat reduces the duration of Scramble Sensors?

Very few, if any, judging by the number of times I see players pulverize a teammate as they continued to play SPACEBAR WARRIOR and wonder why the enemy isn't getting hurt by them.

The Crew Mechanics is a Day 1 issue that amazingly has never been resolved. The only solace I guess we can take is that a month or two ago one of the devs said they're aware of that issue. Only thing those of us with large crew ships can do is keep on playing.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It's kind of hard to come up with a better tactic than having high base hull and shields, coupled with high shield and hull resist, high defense, high hull and shield hps, and ST/HE on global, when trying to tank the borg.

I'm a 30k boat with about 76k hp and a decent resist...

I do fine there. heck i've even flown in there with no shields (forgot about that) and didnt die. and no the mission didnt fail
    edited February 2015
    I'm a 30k boat with about 76k hp and a decent resist...

I do fine there. heck i've even flown in there with no shields (forgot about that) and didnt die. and no the mission didnt fail

Yes. I usually have no problems. This is the build in question. It's a 40k+ ship with 106k hull and 16k shields, and a resting 50%+ resists.

That's exactly the point I'm making, that this new tachyon beam has made a ship that lived through HSE start to have problems in ISA. And that's why I'm not happy.

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

edited February 2015
    deokkent wrote: »
    Omg, this is so not an issue. Even high dpsers are complaining... Just learn to play guys, and change your tactics to adapt to the situation.

Use your brain cells a little, it's not all about the deeps.

I usually have no problems. This is the build in question. It's a 40k+ ship with 106k hull and 16k shields, and a resting 50%+ resists. It happens to do damage, but it's survivability has not been an issue anywhere until this change.

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki