test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Kobali Story gets worse. (spoilers)

pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
I decided to stop thinking for a while and just follow the white and green arrows on the map in the Kobali ground zone and see where they would take me, as the scenery itself is quite nice and shooting endless hordes of snake men isnt terribly boring. Then I read the story.

This is some of the most morally abject content I have ever endured in any form of literary entertainment. I cant decide if this is a terrible joke, bad writing, or a setup for something awesome.

We discover the Kobali are holding a lot of Vaudwaar in stasis. looming over them waiting for them to die so they can reanimate them, preventing the Vaudwaar from liberating them, studying their genetic makeup.

We know the Vaudwaar want their people back, and rightfully so... but we help the Kobali imprison them.

We discover that Vaudwaar have developed a means to prevent their own people from being reanimated, but we call this a 'Virus', despite the fact that it by definition is an innoculation. - So we hinder the Vaudwaar efforts to protect what is obviously a sense of their 'sanctity of life' - a theme not uncommon among our own present-day societies. Even in Star Trek lore there are races who wouldnt even let other species look upon their dead, much less reanimate them. (DS9: "Indiscretion")

To say nothing about the Prime Directive.

Moral fecundity aside, what happened to the Undine? How does Cryptic just drop the story arc they have invested so much in, to favor a story arc fabricated from a couple aliens-of-the-week that we could just as soon forgotten about?

What is a Planet Killer if it didnt ever kill any planets?

Please cryptic, Let the undine kill Kobali Prime. This story makes no sense.
Post edited by pulserazor on

Comments

• Options
    pennylongpennylong Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm not a fan of the Kobali space vampires either.

I actually found myself sympathising with the Vaadwaur and find the Federation's use of the Kobali as allies extremely distasteful. It feels more like an alliance of convenience than anything else and doesn't feel right that the Federation are getting involved with them.

As a plot device it does provoke discussion though, just for all the wrong reasons. :D
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    And don't forget that when your Admiral is talking to Harry about the situation a CAPTAIN comes up and over rules you into forgetting about it.

IMHO this situation is exactly the same as what Captain Picard faced in the TNG premiere episode with the space station/alien.

An Alien was captured and forced to assume the shape of a modern Station suitable for starfleet. when Picard found out he freed the alien and refused to help. Now we as Starfleet Admirals, find a Culture that has thousands of Prisoners that they are waiting for to die so they can be turned into Kobali, and when we try to question it we are overruled by an ostensibly subordinate officer. Then we have to continue supporting the entire fiasco.

Ahh well my sig says it all.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I agree with everything that precedes. From my point of view, the Kobali are far from being the poor victims the storyline would want you to relate to. I do not hate them per say, but i certainly cannot relate to them either.
  • Options
    prolegapprolegap Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I agree with everything that's been posted in this thread so far. I haven't had the time to do any missions on Kobali Prime yet, but after doing the Dust to Dust mission, I'll be actively avoiding doing any Kobali content in the future.

We've seen "body horror" in the form of Elachi and Borg in the past, but the Kobali are much worse. The Borg will leave your memories alone, they "just" "remote control" you through cybernetic implants. This means that there's a possiblity of liberation and recovery for you. Elachi seem to require living people to use as raw material, after which they're mercifully dead.

The Kobali on the other hand, reanimate previously living individuals so that they're for all intents and purposes alive again, slowly genetically modify them after the reanimation and gradually destroy a large part of their memories. All for them to act as a host for a new Kobali "individual", who has much less right to this new existence as the old one it's destroying to make space for itself, given that the old one has a past, memories and presumably loved ones.

This in effect makes the newly created Kobali into what's effectively a voodoo zombie, enslaved to its new host, with aspects of its old personality and memory remaining, but with the unfortunate difference of having no prospect of recovery from its current state.

It's claimed that the host normally retains no memory of its past, but some species, like humans apparently retain more of their memories. IF this is true, as the Kobali seem to have a propensity for lying about their true nature, their method of reproduction would only usually violate the sanctity of burial which seems common among most sentient species.

However, based on the Kobali-centered Voyager episode, they have a name for people who try to resist the procedure, and established methods for capturing and recovering those who try to escape. With or without their permission. This points to this being a much more common occurence than what the Kobali would have you believe.

This whole process is vile enough, that even the most totaliatarian conqueror species should realistically become fast allies with more peaceful ones in getting rid of the Kobali, given how common a concept just the sanctity of burial seems to be among otherwise wildly different species.

The only real moral dilemma to me seems to be what to do with the existing Kobali, as they too are in effect just past victims of other Kobali.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    Way off your intended topic here... but it always has grated on my nerves that the Undine of all races built a "planet killer" ship. The one species that doesn't need to invest in something like that because they already - in canon, and I believe it's shown in at least one cut-scene in game as well - have the capability to do so with their regular starships.
    Yes, but it requires what? No less than eight-to-nine of their ships to generate the power/direction needed? If even one is lost in the charging process, then the beam could go haywire (or worse, backfire).

Something with the same power but more defense can hardly be an unexpected development, or require that many more resources in the first place, considering the organic nature of them.

As for back on the Kobali topic, we all know they're in a morally grey area, period - the only thing is that, no matter your faction, it's not anyone's place to say their entire culture is wrong, or to demand that it be changed. Working with current actions and behaviors as per orders and courtesy, sure, but not to state opinions on the matter (least publicly)
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    theredcomettheredcomet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I concur with aliens of the week comment - there's plenty of baddies where there is room to expand on their respective plots. Adding races that were footnotes in one show seems bewildering.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    You skipped bits or perhaps it allowed you to play bits out of order?
    pulserazor wrote: »
    We discover the Kobali are holding a lot of Vaudwaar in stasis. looming over them waiting for them to die so they can reanimate them, preventing the Vaudwaar from liberating them, studying their genetic makeup.

We know the Vaudwaar want their people back, and rightfully so... but we help the Kobali imprison them.

That's not quite how things were there. The Vaadwaur had disappeared. The Vaadwaur had been a threat to the Delta Quadrant. They were defeated by the Turei Coalition. They went into stasis to try to return later after hoping the Coalition would fall apart and they would be able to conquer the Delta Quadrant. There was a technical malfunction and they remained in stasis.

The crew of Voyager in their typical bumbling through the Delta Quadrant making things worse fashion discovered the Vaadwaur. The Vaadwaur tried to take Voyager so they could once again start their conquest of the Delta Quadrant. Obviously they had to fail in that, show was called Voyager after all, and so the Vaadwaur fled into Underspace.

So the Vaadwaur were not around...there were stasis pods on Kobali Prime...and the Kobali actually were looking after them. They weren't just waiting for a pod to fail, looming over them or anything of the sort. But yes, if one happened to fail - they would go all Kobali on the corpse and a new Kobali was born...yadda, yadda, yadda.

The Vaadwaur once again return to the Delta Quadrant...equipped with technology they had not displayed previously. Not their to liberate those stasis pods. They returned once more to conquer the Delta Quadrant.

If the information about the stasis pods on Kobali Prime were revealed, that would be that many more soldiers the Vaadwaur would have for their assault on the Delta Quadrant. So the information was kept secret. The stasis pods were prisoners of war, well treated, etc, etc, etc.

The Federation/Klingon/Romulan's concern in the matter would be the potential threat that the Vaadwaur would pose to the Alpha Quadrant with the sheer numbers and the new technology.

Course the bit about the neural parasites being behind the latest attempt by the Vaadwaur to conquer the "Universe" comes to light, the Vaadwaur splinter, and we defeat the "bad" Vaadwaur - the neural parasites.

With the Vaadwaur threat removed, the stasis pods are no longer prisoners of war, and the Kobali return them to the other Vaadwaur.
    pulserazor wrote: »
    We discover that Vaudwaar have developed a means to prevent their own people from being reanimated, but we call this a 'Virus', despite the fact that it by definition is an innoculation. - So we hinder the Vaudwaar efforts to protect what is obviously a sense of their 'sanctity of life' - a theme not uncommon among our own present-day societies. Even in Star Trek lore there are races who wouldnt even let other species look upon their dead, much less reanimate them. (DS9: "Indiscretion")

That's not what we discover in the least. The Vaadwaur virus does not simply prevent their own people from being reanimated - it prevents any species from being reanimated. They want to commit genocide...have the Kobali die out unable to reproduce.

So yeah, wow, your post...hrmmm...how did you miss so much and get so much wrong? :(
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    trek21 wrote: »
    As for back on the Kobali topic, we all know they're in a morally grey area, period - the only thing is that, no matter your faction, it's not anyone's place to say their entire culture is wrong, or to demand that it be changed. Working with current actions and behaviors as per orders and courtesy, sure, but not to state opinions on the matter (least publicly)

This here is unmitigated bullpucky. If they were doing what they do in isolation it would have some merit, but as long as they're using other cultures' deceased to practice theirs(against their will, no less), those cultures are well within their rights to have a say about it. "It's my culture!" isn't an unlimited license to do whatever you want, if your actions have an effect on others.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There is an issue, imho, that arises when you consider the interaction with the APU vs. that of the Kobali. With the APU, we're given the option to destroy their means to reproduce. Curious, eh?
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There is an issue, imho, that arises when you consider the interaction with the APU vs. that of the Kobali. With the APU, we're given the option to destroy their means to reproduce. Curious, eh?

The Kobali used to have the ability to reproduce but lost it due to a genetic experiment gone wrong.

The APUs were never meant to reproduce. The Pralor and the Cravic knew there was a chance they could go rogue and made sure they wouldn't pose a significant threat to the galaxy if they did. If some of the APUs were willing to forgo their war and form a proper civilization, maybe the situation would change. But until then, they're just weapons of mass destruction running amok.

I think "Dust to Dust" did a good job deconstructing the Kobali culture. They do believe that their way is superior, and they're starting to figure out that not everyone likes that. They're taking steps to make sure they don't repeat the mistakes of the past, and we (the players and the Delta Alliance as a whole) are a big part of the reason why.

I don't see anything inherently wrong with that. During World War II the Allies teamed up with the USSR to take down Hitler. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" and all that.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    mondoidmondoid Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They weren't killing the Vaadwaar(?) they were just converting the ones whose stasis tubes had failed. As for Harry Kim's phased clone, well he was a dead body in space up for grabs. I do feel a little sorry for the Vaadwaar(?) their leadership being taken over by parasitic space bugs does suck.
  • Options
    doktormarengodoktormarengo Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I find all the Kobali hate a little mind boggling. This species may basically have the key to physical immortality. They can reconstruct even the most catastrophically dead bodies into a living state again.

Of course the Federation would be interested in the process. It's one part of the storyline I'd liked to see explored.

The medical benefits alone that could be learned from understanding their reanimation process - could be a huge boon.
  • Options
    doktormarengodoktormarengo Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, and their wild about the forced mutating into another race. As well as the brainwashing, theft of your life and alienating friends and family. :rolleyes:

It's a dead body. Or formerly dead body. The same dead body that various microorganisms would break down and turn into food or use to reproduce. Heck some larger organisms well devour and eat a dead body left out in nature.

It' s honestly no different. This is simply the way the Kobali reproduce.

And the Kobali have technology that allows them to heal traumatic wounds, restore function to dead brains, and heal just about any injury. That would be of great interest to Star Fleet.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yes, but it requires what? No less than eight-to-nine of their ships to generate the power/direction needed? If even one is lost in the charging process, then the beam could go haywire (or worse, backfire).

Something with the same power but more defense can hardly be an unexpected development, or require that many more resources in the first place, considering the organic nature of them.

Yeah, the captain who interrupts you is simply reminding you of Starfleet policy concerning the matter. Besides.... the Vaadwaur would be attacking even if there were no stasis pods. why? because they're conquerors. It's their way of life.
    prolegap wrote: »
    This here is unmitigated bullpucky. If they were doing what they do in isolation it would have some merit, but as long as they're using other cultures' deceased to practice theirs(against their will, no less), those cultures are well within their rights to have a say about it. "It's my culture!" isn't an unlimited license to do whatever you want, if your actions have an effect on others.
    to paraphrase Jhetleya.... "and that's worse than being dead?"
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    to paraphrase Jhetleya.... "and that's worse than being dead?"

Have you read none of the posts in this and other Kobali theads describing the implications of the process? I did see you posting in some of the threads.

To many people it would be. Many people consider Alzheimer's disease a fate worse than death. This isn't just that either. Your past and who you are as an individual is being wiped in front of your eyes, and you're being forcefully integrated into an alien culture.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Have you read none of the posts in this and other Kobali theads describing the implications of the process? I did see you posting in some of the threads.

To many people it would be. Many people consider Alzheimer's disease a fate worse than death. This isn't just that either. Your past and who you are as an individual is being wiped in front of your eyes, and you're being forcefully integrated into an alien culture.
    "some people"

And the person whose opinion matters most can't give it to you....

Also, we have no reason to believe that everyone had as traumatic a rebirth as Keten. From what was said in the Voy ep, it would seem that most simply wake up with amnesia.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Besides.... the Vaadwaur would be attacking even if there were no stasis pods. why? because they're conquerors. It's their way of life.
    Even if it hadn't been, Dust to Dust shows up that whatever non-Imperialistic parts of their culture they had, it's been wiped out by their leader. They tossed out most of the teachers and artists, it's almost all military.

It's also highly doubtful the Vaadwaur even bothered to just ask the Kobali for the active stasis tubes. See how well the Talaxian's attempt at parley worked.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    "some people"

Not "some people". "Some people" would be weasel words, implying that there are some unnamed mythical people somewhere who allegedly agree. I wrote "many people". This is because it's a commonly expressed sentiment that getting Alzheimer's disease is a fate worse than death. Also, there are multiple threads on this board where a large number of people express distaste towards the Kobali, and the sanctity of burial is a commonly held concept around the world.
    And the person whose opinion matters most can't give it to you....

This means that the only ethically sound course of action is to not create a situation where there's a chance they were brought back against their will. Since they can't give permission, it's more ethical to assume that they aren't giving one.

If they stay dead, their life has run its natural course, whether they died accidentally or not. Bringing them back will just increase the net amount of suffering in the universe, and only benefit the selfish needs of the Kobali "parents" who want to exploit their remains.
    Also, we have no reason to believe that everyone had as traumatic a rebirth as Keten. From what was said in the Voy ep, it would seem that most simply wake up with amnesia.

We do know from the same episode that victims waking up with memories is common enough that the Kobali have established procedures and name for dragging back the escapees and coercing them into integrating to their society. So it can't be that uncommon. As has been pointed out in multiple occasions, the Kobali also have a tendency to lie, so their word can't especially be trusted on the issue.
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Virus, don't sugar coat it. The Kobali were holding onto the stasis pods WATCHING them fail so that they could claim justification when reanimating the dead bodies the failed pod produces. Any other species with any morals to speak of would maintain the pods so they didn't fail or revive the people from the pods. At the very least, they wouldn't sit there rubbing their hands together in anticipatory glee as the Vaudwaar died slowly and painfully one at a time.

It's deplorable in EVERY sense. The entire thing is TRIBBLE-poor writing in full effect.

The storyline rams terrible morality tales down your throat (rather forcefully) and is horrible on top of that. The Kobali are an evil psycho freak of nature "species" (virus) that corrupts and co-opts other in the same vein as demonic possession.

Just taking the technology by itself, it's pure fantasy magic. Oh, we'll just inject a dead body with this virus and it will reanimate no matter how damaged the body was or how long it's been dead, oh and on top of that the body will retain total recall of all things before its death and be perfectly functional.

How idiotic is that? Adding the whole "oh and we'll painfully strip memories from you so that you're aware it's happening while trapped in a mental death" is a terrible torture to put somebody through. Look at Alzheimer's patients for a related tangent. Further, if they had this magic "restore people from the dead" they wouldn't need convert them to Kobali. Just use it ON THE KOBALI! No need to reproduce is mitigated by the fact that death isn't permanent and the population doesn't diminish.

TRIBBLE the Kobali storyline. Not worth the effort they gave it and the way Cryptic is trying to paint them as the gentle Savant good guys is just sickening most times. Another sign that Cryptic doesn't get it. They just don't get it.
  • Options
    sathyannesathyanne Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Even if I do not like the Kobali and would not want to have them as allies, I did like the Kobali story arc.

I like story arcs that challenge my own values and morality.

The Kobalis are not good guys or pseudo princess waiting for the fed white knights to come save them: they are a species on the verge of extinction and they do resort to extreme measure to survive.
    Does escaping the ultimate end of their species make them good?

The Vaadwaurs are not just bad guys: they are a species that was pushed to extinction by the Turei coalition.
    When Voyager found them, they were survivors of a long gone interstellar global war. Who would have known that they were a supremacy trying to enslave the entire quadrant.

Yet, the Vaadwaurs are attacking Kobali Prime to get the stasis pod of their people back.
    Does saving their people make the Vaadwaur bad?

The Federation is not goody two shoes space explorers: Starfleet is an armed military forces and Section 31 did some pretty shaddy things.

Not everything is black or white ...
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    sathyanne wrote: »
    I like story arcs that challenge my own values and morality.

The Kobalis are not good guys or pseudo princess waiting for the fed white knights to come save them: they are a species on the verge of extinction and they do resort to extreme measure to survive.

First, it doesn't not challenge you in any way. It's an affront to morals, NOT a challenge to them. There is a difference.

Further, you apparently haven't paid any attention to the story. That is EXACTLY how they are portrayed. They're snivelling little pacifists being attacked by the evil bad guys, no noez! Come, save us Starfleet! We're so inept our best "warriors" are untrained, unguided, crying babies that wander around without any combat effectiveness. War is too hard on us, we can't take the strain! Save us, you fearsome awesome warriors!

That is 100% exactly how the story starts. They are the princesses in need of saving -- from a fight they started by war crimes atrocities.

There is no reason other than bald-faced lies that don't stand in the light of day, for Starfleet to ever have stepped in.

The entire storyline is bad, and the motivations fall apart and the fiasco spirals downward from there.
  • Options
    forthegamerforthegamer Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It does challenge you. It takes a situation in which someone would be comfortable with, saving people who are being attacked for no reason, to there being a reason, to there being a thing they withheld from you that can and is questionable.

It isn't something that most people are comfortable with. A person you love has died, yet another race takes that body and uses it for their own reproduction. A lot of people would feel squeamish about it and understandably so.

Yet, these are dead bodies. Do we right now not have donor cards so that people can give up pieces of their body so that others may live? The only difference between this and that is that the entire body is used.

Now, as for the way they handled it, no I agree that it wasn't right nor good. But look at what happens during the storyline. The Kobali don't fully understand why other races would have a problem. They do understand there is an issue, after all, they hide things from outsiders, but it isn't until they interact with another race(s) that they begin to understand the complications that arise with it. They begin to change their policies due to the complications and are striving to make things better.

Is it a perfect story? No. I agree it could've been better. There are parts that fall short of what was needed to make it better.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    You're making more out of it than it really has to offer. It really is as superficial as it seems. Starfleet is aiding and abetting the lying manslaughtering pseudo-species that no longer exists in nature and only propogates via deadly horrifyingly mentally scarring virus injection that strips away your very identity step by step so you notice it happening in real-time pain.

That's not challenging your morals. Not in the slightest.

You don't seem to understand what the phrase means. That's no more challenging your morals than watching the psycho-of-the-week on a weekly murder sleuthing TV show kill its victims. There is no challenge. It's just an affront. Discomfort does not equal challenge.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Virus, don't sugar coat it. The Kobali were holding onto the stasis pods WATCHING them fail so that they could claim justification when reanimating the dead bodies the failed pod produces. Any other species with any morals to speak of would maintain the pods so they didn't fail or revive the people from the pods. At the very least, they wouldn't sit there rubbing their hands together in anticipatory glee as the Vaudwaar died slowly and painfully one at a time.
    Painfully? I'm pretty sure that if you die due to a stasis pod malfunction you won't be awake enough to feel anything....
    It's deplorable in EVERY sense. The entire thing is TRIBBLE-poor writing in full effect.

The storyline rams terrible morality tales down your throat (rather forcefully) and is horrible on top of that. The Kobali are an evil psycho freak of nature "species" (virus) that corrupts and co-opts other in the same vein as demonic possession.

Just taking the technology by itself, it's pure fantasy magic. Oh, we'll just inject a dead body with this virus and it will reanimate no matter how damaged the body was or how long it's been dead, oh and on top of that the body will retain total recall of all things before its death and be perfectly functional.
    Except they aren't... no case has ever been shown to have the subject remember everything from before they died. Everyone seen has some level of permanent amnesia. In Jhetleya's case she tried to be who she was before until she realized she couldn't remember her childhood or parents. NOT because she was losing her memory. She just hadn't realized yet before she returned to Voyager.
    How idiotic is that? Adding the whole "oh and we'll painfully strip memories from you so that you're aware it's happening while trapped in a mental death" is a terrible torture to put somebody through. Look at Alzheimer's patients for a related tangent.
    As has been pointed out many times.... the memory loss happens BEFORE the person wakes up.
    Further, if they had this magic "restore people from the dead" they wouldn't need convert them to Kobali. Just use it ON THE KOBALI! No need to reproduce is mitigated by the fact that death isn't permanent and the population doesn't diminish.
    That's the way the space "magic" works. It can't reanimate Kobali, and without it the people that the Kobali reconstruct would stay dead.
    Not "some people". "Some people" would be weasel words, implying that there are some unnamed mythical people somewhere who allegedly agree. I wrote "many people". This is because it's a commonly expressed sentiment that getting Alzheimer's disease is a fate worse than death.
    Also weasel words, since "many" implies that it's numerous. Some does not imply that it's numerous.
    Also, there are multiple threads on this board where a large number of people express distaste towards the Kobali, and the sanctity of burial is a commonly held concept around the world.
    more weasel words, and implying that the dislike is greater than like.
    This means that the only ethically sound course of action is to not create a situation where there's a chance they were brought back against their will. Since they can't give permission, it's more ethical to assume that they aren't giving one.
    I'd go with the other course of action. There is some real-world precedent here. emergency medical services always act under the approach of "heal first, ask for permission later". Why? Because by the time they get permission it may be too late for permission to matter. And yes, there are several groups that in real life object to things that are considered by most to be normal medicine.

In this case, ost of the time it probably doesn't matter since the new Kobali wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
    If they stay dead, their life has run its natural course, whether they died accidentally or not. Bringing them back will just increase the net amount of suffering in the universe, and only benefit the selfish needs of the Kobali "parents" who want to exploit their remains.
    The same argument can be made for blood transfusions and most other forms of emergency medicine. EMTs make their living helping people who are often in no condition to state their preferences.
    We do know from the same episode that victims waking up with memories is common enough that the Kobali have established procedures and name for dragging back the escapees and coercing them into integrating to their society. So it can't be that uncommon. As has been pointed out in multiple occasions, the Kobali also have a tendency to lie, so their word can't especially be trusted on the issue.
    The fact they have a word for something has no bearing on whether it's common. AND it's been pointed out many times that they DON'T force people to stay.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What interests me about this story are the parallels to modern, real-world scenarios:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1299456
    To gain insight into the problem of whether transplant patients themselves feel a change in personality after having received a donor heart, 47 patients who were transplanted over a period of 2 years in Vienna, Austria, were asked for an interview. Three groups of patients could be identified: 79% stated that their personality had not changed at all postoperatively. In this group, patients showed massive defense and denial reactions, mainly by rapidly changing the subject or making the question ridiculous.
    A less scientific look at the same:
    http://guardianlv.com/2013/06/organ-transplants-cellular-memory-proves-major-organs-have-self-contained-brains/

But to get at the broader issue:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_transplantation#Forced_donation
    In October 2007, bowing to international pressure, the Chinese Medical Association agreed on a moratorium of commercial organ harvesting from condemned prisoners, but did not specify a deadline. China agreed to restrict transplantations from donors to their immediate relatives.[65][66]

In May 2008, two United Nations Special Rapporteurs reiterated their requests for "the Chinese government to fully explain the allegation of taking vital organs from Falun Gong practitioners and the source of organs for the sudden increase in organ transplants that has been going on in China since the year 2000".[67]

People in other parts of the world are responding to this availability of organs, and a number of individuals (including U.S. and Japanese citizens) have elected to travel to China or India as medical tourists to receive organ transplants which may have been sourced in what might be considered elsewhere to be unethical manner.[68][69][70]

For myself, I see the kobali as revealing interesting things about people. To be horrified or offended by them, one has to believe that the reanimated corpse somehow is the same original person. In effect, that there is no soul, and human life is nothing more than animated protoplasm and memory. Or if there ever was a soul, that it gets yanked out of whatever afterlife and stuffed back into the body with no memory of said afterlife (as opposed to near death experiences or similar phenomena)

If neither of these two premises apply, then the body is definitively not that of the dead person and the memories are nothing more than muscle/organ memory. Making the kobali a variation on the tarantula wasp or zombie fungus that need a host body to reproduce in, except unlike those they don't kill they recycle. And in such a case they are not doing anything to the "person" who died, just their body. As the Hindu uppanishads say, the jiva (soul) changes bodies just like the body changes clothing. Generally people don't have an issue with someone fishing old clothing out of the trash and wearing it.

If either of those hypothesis DO apply then the kobali are doing horrible things to a sentient beingbeing as documented here in this thread and others like it, so I'll not rehash.

Given the primary audience of star trek are geeky by nature, and less prone to think about souls, or the phenominon new agers call "walk-ins", I'm not surprised to see many people on the forum dislike the kobali.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Some view the Kobali's entire basis as evil and nothing will change that, some think their rebirth as the exact opposite, others understand it even as they're discomforted, others work in-between the two aforementioned extremes, and so on.

This is the reason we have different opinions; we also have different morals, and how to react to them. Because the Kobali rebirth process is a highly sensitive moral topic, that's why there's so much divide. I'd like to believe it's that simple
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Painfully? I'm pretty sure that if you die due to a stasis pod malfunction you won't be awake enough to feel anything....Except they aren't... no case has ever been shown to have the subject remember everything from before they died. Everyone seen has some level of permanent amnesia. In Jhetleya's case she tried to be who she was before until she realized she couldn't remember her childhood or parents. NOT because she was losing her memory. She just hadn't realized yet before she returned to Voyager.
    As has been pointed out many times.... the memory loss happens BEFORE the person wakes up.

That doesn't hold water. As somebody said in another post, the Kobali are known liars and schemers. They "say" that nobody remembers, but so many do that not only do they have procedures in commonplace use to handle the people revived as they struggle with their old memories, but they have full-time teams/squads that hunt down the "escapees". It's so common place it happens all the time.

As for the "choice?" Hah. No choice at all. It's the illusion of choice. That's the same kind of choice battered housewives make to stay with their spouses, or gang members make to stay in a life they hate. That's the same kind of choice that North Koreans have to look upon their leader as a Sun God. A choice based on lies, ignorance, and brainwashing is no choice at all. It's a corruption of a logical thought process.
  • Options
    paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Some view the Kobali's entire basis as evil and nothing will change that, some think their rebirth as the exact opposite, others understand it even as they're discomforted, others work in-between the two aforementioned extremes, and so on.

This is the reason we have different opinions; we also have different morals, and how to react to them. Because the Kobali rebirth process is a highly sensitive moral topic, that's why there's so much divide. I'd like to believe it's that simple

I would add that too many people here are looking at the Kobali from the perspective of human morality - a particular flavor of human morality, at that - and trying to apply that to an alien culture that has reanimated exactly two humans.

Just because some of us humans find Kobali reanimation distasteful doesn't mean other Fed cultures (or other Alpha/Beta Quadrant cultures) do. More to the point, it certainly doesn't mean the Kobali's Delta Quadrant neighbors (from whom they presumably get the lion's share of their non-Kobali bodies) do either.

Apart from the Vaadwaur, we know almost nothing about what any other Delta Quadrant culture thinks of the practice, or whether they would approve of their own people getting Kobalized. The biggest clue we have is the fact that the Kobali are not already hated or treated as pariahs by the other races seen in Delta Rising. That tells me they either don't have a problem with Kobali reanimation in the first place, or have merely not seen fit to do anything to stop it beyond the most obvious measures like, well, not disposing of their own dead anywhere that the Kobali can get their hands on them.