test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Galaxy class

Comments

• gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    gigaman123 wrote: »
    In (Yesterdays Enterprise?) Star trek TNG the ship is a Battleship during wartime. During peace, it is a Exploration Cruiser.

in chain of command when Jellico took command of the enterpise he had it set up as more as a combat vessel by shutting down non-essential systems in combat to raise it's combat effectiveness by over 20%

pretty much that is how jellico commanded the enterpise as a battleship. picard was a diplomat and explorer and used the enterpise as a mobile research facility and embassy
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    **** the Hangar bay. I like using Concentrate Firepower 3 on my T6 Galaxy. Hangar units clutter up my chances of getting the CF3 proc.
    Nice to see someone using torpedoes too!

I try to realize something unorthodox (for STO standards), namely a tetryon (yes tetryon :D) / torpedo combination. The thing is, i am not sure about which Captain Specialization combination offers the best synergy for that. Initially i thought about using Command Specialization because of the Torpedo exploit, but in combat i noticed that it is far to short to be of any great use.
    To be honest Captain Specialization became a bit too confusing so any help would be apreciated.

Idk if this is the right place to discuss this, but i'd be interested what kind of builds you guys use.
    (if it's not the right place then sorry and forget i ever asked)
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
    edited April 2015
    edalgo wrote: »
    Yea Jellico shut down nearly half the scientific and research labs by having Engineering reroute the EPS grid to the defensive systems.

It made sense as if the Cardassians invaded the Federation sectors they wanted the Ent-D would be on the front line and would be outnumbered and outgunned until a Starfleet taskforce could arrive.
    Indeed.
    But it showed how much the Ent-D (and GCS in general) could be improved in a couple of days.
    Now give them enough time and a Spacedock, i bet the ship could have been made much more powerful than those 20% they archived in a that short time.
    What we saw in TNG was just the tip of the iceberg of the power of a Galaxy Class imo.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rmy1081 wrote: »
    Since you all seem to be the experts on the Galaxy, in game and out, the saucer separation console states the saucer gets Engineering Team and EPtS but I've never seen it cast any of those ever. Has anyone else noticed the same? Is there a bug?

A saucer casting ET like the odyssey casting worker bees would be awesome :)

Do what I do when it comes to Console Pets / Separation Units:

They're dead as soon as you launch them. They don't do **** anyways.

Galaxy Saucer. Odyssey Chevron. Odyssey Aquarius. Haakona Dual Vector. Bortasqu' Hoh'Sus BOP. They're all useless implements in combat and likely took up a valuable Console slot that could have been of better use with something else.

If you insist on having the Galaxy Separation Console, then when you use it, treat the Saucer like it's already dead. Because it does next to nothing for you in combat anyways. Just take advantage of the different characteristics of your separated ship.
    yreodred wrote: »
    Nice to see someone using torpedoes too!

I try to realize something unorthodox (for STO standards), namely a tetryon (yes tetryon :D) / torpedo combination. The thing is, i am not sure about which Captain Specialization combination offers the best synergy for that. Initially i thought about using Command Specialization because of the Torpedo exploit, but in combat i noticed that it is far to short to be of any great use.
    To be honest Captain Specialization became a bit too confusing so any help would be apreciated.

Idk if this is the right place to discuss this, but i'd be interested what kind of builds you guys use.
    (if it's not the right place then sorry and forget i ever asked)

I'm flying the T6 Fleet Galaxy with EPTW3, CF3, BFAW3, HYT1, TT1. Bunch of single beams, Regent's Wide Angle Quantum, KCB. It works okay so far since the Wide Angle Quantum works perfectly with a Broadside build. When I have the CF3 working, the Quantums are firing in bursts every 2-3 seconds. Of course, when teamed up this is interrupted but the very short 2 second timer of CF3 is at least useful for the team and not just for me. Far better than CF1 or 2 with their much longer timers.

I very much like the combination possible in the T6 Galaxy with having the likes of EPTW3, BFAW, CF3, while still having the luxury of Weapon System Efficiency Cruiser Command. Not to mention still having ET2 and ASIF3 for heals. A nice, complete package.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Indeed.
    But it showed how much the Ent-D (and GCS in general) could be improved in a couple of days.
    Now give them enough time and a Spacedock, i bet the ship could have been made much more powerful than those 20% they archived in a that short time.
    What we saw in TNG was just the tip of the iceberg of the power of a Galaxy Class imo.

the enterprise D probably had like 100 science labs concerning dozens of disciplines, all running power hungry experiments at the same time, all the time. it was equipped with lavish quarters, the most sparten were still comfortable, fully equipped apartments, i doubt anyone not related to each other had to share a room. im kind of shocked the ship didn't have an official general ambassador on staff at all times, they might not have had one because picard was already as good an ambassador as he was a ship captain. any galaxy class configured this way would have had to rate as one of the top research institutes in the federation, even though its a star ship.

these things are the primary concern of the enterprise D, not its performance in combat, not its ability to be the anchor of a battle group. it still came with the biggest guns by far concerning both phasers and torpedoes to ever be mounted on a federation ship, but for the ship's mission profile these weren't optimized for peek performance, everything regarding science, diplomacy and exploration were.

during jelico's time, he changed all that the best he could in the field, and was able to considerably improve combat potential of the ship. being so epically modular, with 70% of its interior space hotswapable, the configuration the enterprise came with was hardly the 'stock' or 'normal' configuration, it was just the 'gilded age peace time flagship' configuration. if the ship was actually configured around its armaments, and not everything but, you would have a truly scarey powerful, big gun dreadnaught. those are what you see in the mid to late dominion war, steamrolling through fleets, and flanking dominion forces before even the hero ship defiant can punch through.

tl;dr

the combat performance of the enterprise D is the LAST thing you want to reference when rating a GCS's combat potential. when cryptic made the tier 6 galaxy, i'd like to think me and some others were finally able to convince cryptic to stop doing that.
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    One thing that Jellico did that always puzzled me was changing the shift rotation - right before a crisis that might develop into a shooting war. I've heard plenty of arguments for or against but it just seems to me a foolhardy thing to do, because it's the kind of thing that the crew would need to get used to and that would take time. Plus, he's played by Ron Cox - we're supposed to hate him.

But one good thing he did? He told Troi to wear a ******n uniform.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'd say the Galaxy Class is the federation's version of a first rate ship of the line, The T6 with it's Lt cmd tac slot makes a really mean broadside where as on the ships of the line most of the cannons were on the side of the ship for broadside warfare in mind.

If I was a Starfleet captain off to war, I'd want a Galaxy because they are tough and very resilient ships, perfect in the heavy battleship role with all that fire power not to mention as another poster mentioned a perfect planetary assault ship.

It has 20 transporter rooms with even more transporters in the cargo bays, that combined with the large shuttle capacity means you could in effect land ground forces a lot faster using both transporters and landing craft and still stay in orbit to provide support fire.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      edited April 2015
      the enterprise D probably had like 100 science labs concerning dozens of disciplines, all running power hungry experiments at the same time, all the time. it was equipped with lavish quarters, the most sparten were still comfortable, fully equipped apartments, i doubt anyone not related to each other had to share a room. im kind of shocked the ship didn't have an official general ambassador on staff at all times, they might not have had one because picard was already as good an ambassador as he was a ship captain. any galaxy class configured this way would have had to rate as one of the top research institutes in the federation, even though its a star ship.

these things are the primary concern of the enterprise D, not its performance in combat, not its ability to be the anchor of a battle group. it still came with the biggest guns by far concerning both phasers and torpedoes to ever be mounted on a federation ship, but for the ship's mission profile these weren't optimized for peek performance, everything regarding science, diplomacy and exploration were.

during jelico's time, he changed all that the best he could in the field, and was able to considerably improve combat potential of the ship. being so epically modular, with 70% of its interior space hotswapable, the configuration the enterprise came with was hardly the 'stock' or 'normal' configuration, it was just the 'gilded age peace time flagship' configuration. if the ship was actually configured around its armaments, and not everything but, you would have a truly scarey powerful, big gun dreadnaught. those are what you see in the mid to late dominion war, steamrolling through fleets, and flanking dominion forces before even the hero ship defiant can punch through.

tl;dr

the combat performance of the enterprise D is the LAST thing you want to reference when rating a GCS's combat potential. when cryptic made the tier 6 galaxy, i'd like to think me and some others were finally able to convince cryptic to stop doing that.
      Yeah, i think the biggest mistake one could do is to judge a Galaxy class according to its combat performance in TNG. Funny, but that is exactly what GCS haters and Cryptics devs where doing for 5 years. (unbeliveable imo)

Sure at TNG it was everything but optimized for Battle, and yet its crew was somehow a bit too confident in the ships abilities and became careless which accumulated in ST:7's disasterous final.
      Although those Klingons hags where cheating as much as they could, the Crew of the -D was simply incompetent at that day. I think someone like Jellico (no matter what we think of him as a person) would have never lost the ship then.
      Heck if they had to get rid of the -D, why couldn't they make it a heroic battle against 2 or 3 D'Deridex class ships?
      (i know the money but, grrr... :mad:)

stofsk wrote: »
      One thing that Jellico did that always puzzled me was changing the shift rotation - right before a crisis that might develop into a shooting war. I've heard plenty of arguments for or against but it just seems to me a foolhardy thing to do, because it's the kind of thing that the crew would need to get used to and that would take time. Plus, he's played by Ron Cox - we're supposed to hate him.

But one good thing he did? He told Troi to wear a ******n uniform.
      For that alone we should be THANKFUL to him!
      In retrospective i think the -D's crew needed a beefy kick in their asses, for that someone like Jellico was just the right man. If they would have made him a bit more likeable, it would have been fascinating to see how things develop. (Especially if they would have let Picard die and jellico became permanent captain.)
      That would have massively changed the tone of the series, idk for the better or not.

Yeah i didn't quite understood that shift rotation change too. Things like that only work if a crew has enough time to get used to it. But i think it's just as you said, the crew and the audience where supposed to hate him. They could hardly put in another likeable captain as replacement for picard, since the audience is supposed to want him survive of course. ;)

A tale of two Picards
      edited April 2015
      Do what I do when it comes to Console Pets / Separation Units:

They're dead as soon as you launch them. They don't do **** anyways.

Galaxy Saucer. Odyssey Chevron. Odyssey Aquarius. Haakona Dual Vector. Bortasqu' Hoh'Sus BOP. They're all useless implements in combat and likely took up a valuable Console slot that could have been of better use with something else.

If you insist on having the Galaxy Separation Console, then when you use it, treat the Saucer like it's already dead. Because it does next to nothing for you in combat anyways. Just take advantage of the different characteristics of your separated ship.

I'm flying the T6 Fleet Galaxy with EPTW3, CF3, BFAW3, HYT1, TT1. Bunch of single beams, Regent's Wide Angle Quantum, KCB. It works okay so far since the Wide Angle Quantum works perfectly with a Broadside build. When I have the CF3 working, the Quantums are firing in bursts every 2-3 seconds. Of course, when teamed up this is interrupted but the very short 2 second timer of CF3 is at least useful for the team and not just for me. Far better than CF1 or 2 with their much longer timers.

I very much like the combination possible in the T6 Galaxy with having the likes of EPTW3, BFAW, CF3, while still having the luxury of Weapon System Efficiency Cruiser Command. Not to mention still having ET2 and ASIF3 for heals. A nice, complete package.
      Don't get me wrong i'm not a fan of combat pets, i was just curious lately. I prefer a bit more tankyness instead of the saucer seperation. I use a similar combination like you with EptW3, FAW3, TT1 and of course the 180° quantums, although i'd prefer if they where a Phonton version of it or if there where more variants in general.

Does anyone use Structural integrity collapse or Overwhelm Emitters?
      I could imagine SIC as a APB substitute (for a pure torp build), but APB has many synergies (like "all hands on deck" and the Rom. Prototype Impulse Engine for ex.), so idk if it is really worth its money.
      Not so sure what to think about OE though.

What's the general opinion about "Command" specialization and Expose Weakness in particular?
      (isn't the expose duration a bit too short to be really useful?)
      But on the other hand "Achilles' heel" looks interesting tbh epecially combined with steady HY Torpedoes salvos

A tale of two Picards
    • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      Yeah, i think the biggest mistake one could do is to judge a Galaxy class according to its combat performance in TNG. Funny, but that is exactly what GCS haters and Cryptics devs where doing for 5 years. (unbeliveable imo)
      I disagree. I don't hate the Galaxy but I don't know why we shouldn't judge it by what we see - and unfortunately its performance is variable. Some episodes it gets owned, other episodes it gets the **** kicked out of it and keeps flying. I don't think it helps to ignore one in favour of the other.
      Heck if they had to get rid of the -D, why couldn't they make it a heroic battle against 2 or 3 D'Deridex class ships?
      I've always wanted to rewrite Generations with this in mind. I think Generations is a good film that's trapped inside a bad one - there's some good stuff in there, some good stuff to work with, but its plot is bananas.

I don't know how I'd end it but I always wanted to see Kirk die in the chair. And I think having the showdown be between the Enterprise and a couple of warbirds is too good to pass up. Certainly better than reusing Chang's bird-of-prey exploding. My idea would essentially have Kirk take command of the doomed stardrive section to buy the saucer time to get away to safety, and when it blows up he takes Sela and her warbird with him. It keeps Kirk dying to save others thing but does it in a better way - he dies on the bridge of that chair, making a difference (rather than dying because A bridge fell on top of him).
      For that alone we should be THANKFUL to him!
      In retrospective i think the -D's crew needed a beefy kick in their asses, for that someone like Jellico was just the right man. If they would have made him a bit more likeable, it would have been fascinating to see how things develop. (Especially if they would have let Picard die and jellico became permanent captain.)
      That would have massively changed the tone of the series, idk for the better or not.
      TNG near the end was getting a bit too self-absorbed IMO - and I think some of the writers knew that. The sixth season had moments where it seemed like the writers were toying with the idea of shaking up the show, although I don't think they seriously planned to ever have Picard die at the hands of the cardassians (it was originally meant to be a single episode but it was extended to a two-parter for budget reasons) they did 'shake things up' a bit by having Jellico in command for two episodes. And later in the season they introduced Thomas Riker, which suggested the writers were really grasping at straws and wanted to perhaps shake up the command crew line up. At one point I think the plan would have involved Will dying and Thomas joining the crew but he would replace Data or Worf at their stations while everyone got a bump up in rank. I don't know how I feel about that but it's an intriguing premise at least.
      edited April 2015
      i reember that data was suppose to become first officer and worf would get a promotion and replace data as second officer and operations

data would of been first officer and science officer still

another thing people tend to forget data was both the science officers operations officer. the D had a LTC in science. he just wore gold as it looked better on him then blue did. same reason worf and gordie switched from red to gold
    • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      gpgtx wrote: »
      he just wore gold as it looked better on him then blue did. same reason worf and gordie switched from red to gold
      No. Worf went to Security after Tasha died/left, thus he went to gold - Tasha wore gold when she was head of Security. Likewise, Geordi went to gold when he became the chief engineer.
      STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
      edited April 2015
      What's the general opinion about "Command" specialization and Expose Weakness in particular?
      (isn't the expose duration a bit too short to be really useful?)
      But on the other hand "Achilles' heel" looks interesting tbh epecially combined with steady HY Torpedoes salvos

Command Specialization Bonuses would have absolutely stomped Intel Spec's Bonuses if Achilles Heel did not have those damn 30 second cooldown timers. As it stands now, it's so-so. It has nice things but that long CD is a killer against Command.
      XzRTofz.gif
      edited April 2015
      Command Specialization Bonuses would have absolutely stomped Intel Spec's Bonuses if Achilles Heel did not have those damn 30 second cooldown timers. As it stands now, it's so-so. It has nice things but that long CD is a killer against Command.
      Yeah 30 seconds is a bit too much, but at Level III it lasts 10 seconds, i hope that evens it a bit. (sorry my bad english today)

A tale of two Picards
      edited April 2015
      thecosmic1 wrote: »
      No. Worf went to Security after Tasha died/left, thus he went to gold - Tasha wore gold when she was head of Security. Likewise, Geordi went to gold when he became the chief engineer.

that's in story reasoning they used to put them in those colors. worf was security before switching to gold (actaully he bounced around he never had an offical position untill tashas death as he did engineering, command, tactical, annd security offiliated tasks) and becoming head of security. and there where 3 chief engineers before gordie was made engineer in season 2 before that he was helm and navigation
    • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      stofsk wrote: »
      I disagree. I don't hate the Galaxy but I don't know why we shouldn't judge it by what we see - and unfortunately its performance is variable. Some episodes it gets owned, other episodes it gets the **** kicked out of it and keeps flying. I don't think it helps to ignore one in favour of the other.

TNG near the end was getting a bit too self-absorbed IMO - and I think some of the writers knew that. The sixth season had moments where it seemed like the writers were toying with the idea of shaking up the show, although I don't think they seriously planned to ever have Picard die at the hands of the cardassians (it was originally meant to be a single episode but it was extended to a two-parter for budget reasons) they did 'shake things up' a bit by having Jellico in command for two episodes. And later in the season they introduced Thomas Riker, which suggested the writers were really grasping at straws and wanted to perhaps shake up the command crew line up. At one point I think the plan would have involved Will dying and Thomas joining the crew but he would replace Data or Worf at their stations while everyone got a bump up in rank. I don't know how I feel about that but it's an intriguing premise at least.

I agree with both of these statements, with the exception of the Thomas/Will Riker part. I think that Thomas was supposed to be the mirror image of what Will Riker could have been ( more elaborated in DS9) if he wasnt as disciplined.

The whole thing with the combat potential of the Galaxy being all over the place, no matter what people say, was just another example of how weak the franchise is at keeping consistency. The show is about as much of a canonical mess as the Christian faiths scriptures , circa 200 AD (ie pretty much all over the place).
      edited April 2015
      Yeah 30 seconds is a bit too much, but at Level III it lasts 10 seconds, i hope that evens it a bit. (sorry my bad english today)

Here's the thing though, at least from my POV or maybe just because how I play.

Achilles Heel is based on you getting a crit, then lasting as you pointed out, to 10 seconds tops. Then it goes into a long 30 second CD. I can get decent crit rates so getting Achilles Heel to kick off with an endgame build isn't an issue. There's also the timing. When Achilles Heel procs, do you have all your stuff ready to take advantage of that 10 second window all the time?

On the other hand, Intel's Flanking, it's always there. Once you're in position, maintain that position one way or another and just pound until there's nothing left. Whether you're doing your standard series of attacks or have everything ready to surge your damage. Flanking is always going to be there no matter what, as long as you're in position.
      XzRTofz.gif
    • neo1nxneo1nx Member Posts: 962 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      greyhame3 wrote: »
      The problem with the longer array being more powerful weapon argument is that there's no in screen evidence to support it. Unless someone can find some.

it been a long time now that i read those arguments concerning this idea ( longer= more powerfull ).
      it been very enjoyable to read, really.

i saw the opinion of drunk, the one of others like edalgo who think that it just a way to get enemy in firering arc but not somekind of cumulative energy system.

drunk post a passage of the technical manual that describe it, and when i read it, i didn't see anything that was clearly, i don't known... demonstrate? show? that it was cumulating energy.
      i may didn't read it well, english is not my primary language, that totally possible, but the feeling it get me is that the idea of cumulating the energy was something that you could " deduce" or " extrapolate" from the description of the technical manual, but not something that was clearly state.
      in other word it could well be possible to just be a " fan bias" opinion ( no offense drunk:) )

however there is still something that bother me.
      well if this array only serve for the firering arc and that the energy feed that we saw constantly in the show are not a way to build up energy... why do they begin at one point of the array to then firing at the opposite point?
      if an emiter have the enemy in it "visual sight", why powering an other emiter, almost at the other side of the array, to then transfert the power all the way to the array that have the enemy in sight in the first place?
      i am sorry, but it just daesn't make sense, both in the time that it take and it the eventual lost of energy that would result in the operation when you compare it to just a direct shot of 1 emiter.

if someone got a credible, logical explanation for that, i really like to hear it.
      i mean everyone, even one of the creator of the show if they read this forum ( haha! i doubt it but we never known ).

i like the idea that the more longer the array the more powerfull it was, but after reading that passage in the technical manual, they were nothing ( to me anyway ) that clearly indicate that it was the case.
      exept for that tiny fx we see all the time that defies logic. until this is not sort, i could not prononce myself.
    • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      gpgtx wrote: »
      that's in story reasoning they used to put them in those colors.
      The TNG era colors were chosen by Gene long before they decide on all the characters. Ship Command wore Red, Ship Operations wore Yellow, Science wore the Bluish-Green.

Worf wore red because he was originally supposed to be a Command officer - just as Geordi was originally. When Denise decided to leave the show they moved Worf into her position as Head of Security. That necessitated a change in uniform from Red to Yellow. It had nothing to do with Worf looking better in Yellow - as he went back to Command and Red in DS9.

The position in Starfleet dictates the color. If Worf had gone into Science he would have been given the Bluish-Green uniform - just like Picard wore in Tapestry.
      STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
      edited April 2015
      Here's the thing though, at least from my POV or maybe just because how I play.

Achilles Heel is based on you getting a crit, then lasting as you pointed out, to 10 seconds tops. Then it goes into a long 30 second CD. I can get decent crit rates so getting Achilles Heel to kick off with an endgame build isn't an issue. There's also the timing. When Achilles Heel procs, do you have all your stuff ready to take advantage of that 10 second window all the time?

On the other hand, Intel's Flanking, it's always there. Once you're in position, maintain that position one way or another and just pound until there's nothing left. Whether you're doing your standard series of attacks or have everything ready to surge your damage. Flanking is always going to be there no matter what, as long as you're in position.
      Very true.
      From this point of view (which i tend to agree) Achilles' Heel seems more like a Alpha Strike tool, perfect for someone who likes playing battle leader in a escort-ish ship (hello devs-DS9 fans, lol).
      Additionally, how much Resistance debuffs can stack, without getting diminishing results in the end? Does it pay off to use so many of them together?
      Or wouldn't it be better to strive for some more tankyness or utility?
      (sorry if this is nonsense, it's been a loooong time since i last put so much attention into things like that)

It's a pity the andromeda didn't get a Intel BOFF station, so you can't use intelligence fleet BOFF power and the according Specialization ability.
      Using Intel officer specialization somehow feels not "round" combined with the T6 GCS, imo.
      thecosmic1 wrote: »
      The TNG era colors were chosen by Gene long before they decide on all the characters. Ship Command wore Red, Ship Operations wore Yellow, Science wore the Bluish-Green.
      Do you know why they changed command gold to red?
      (Some deeper reason?)

A tale of two Picards
      edited April 2015
      Very true.
      From this point of view (which i tend to agree) Achilles' Heel seems more like a Alpha Strike tool, perfect for someone who likes playing battle leader in a escort-ish ship (hello devs-DS9 fans, lol).
      Additionally, how much Resistance debuffs can stack, without getting diminishing results in the end? Does it pay off to use so many of them together?
      Or wouldn't it be better to strive for some more tankyness or utility?
      (sorry if this is nonsense, it's been a loooong time since i last put so much attention into things like that)

It's a pity the andromeda didn't get a Intel BOFF station, so you can't use intelligence fleet BOFF power and the according Specialization ability.
      Using Intel officer specialization somehow feels not "round" combined with the T6 GCS, imo.

By this point in time, I'm sure there are guys rolling around with Dual Intel & Command Masteries.

As for diminishing returns, off the top of my head, the only thing that gets hit hard by it is Damage Resistance. Offense has nothing restraining it in STO. Never too much Accuracy, Crit Hit, Crit Severity. Never too much Bonus Damage. Never too much Particle Gens for Exotic Damage builds. Never too much Subsystems Power if you can manage it. But resists? Different story.
      XzRTofz.gif
      edited April 2015
      neo1nx wrote: »
      it been a long time now that i read those arguments concerning this idea ( longer= more powerfull ).
      it been very enjoyable to read, really.

i saw the opinion of drunk, the one of others like edalgo who think that it just a way to get enemy in firering arc but not somekind of cumulative energy system.

drunk post a passage of the technical manual that describe it, and when i read it, i didn't see anything that was clearly, i don't known... demonstrate? show? that it was cumulating energy.
      i may didn't read it well, english is not my primary language, that totally possible, but the feeling it get me is that the idea of cumulating the energy was something that you could " deduce" or " extrapolate" from the description of the technical manual, but not something that was clearly state.
      in other word it could well be possible to just be a " fan bias" opinion ( no offense drunk:) )

just the explanation alone without the show's visuals to draw reference from would probably leave anyone confused. but its the manual that is explaining the show, the why of the moving glow effect, and the extrapolation of what it means. you also have to acknowledge what it says about the emitter segments, that they are all self contained phaser banks, they all have an EPS feed running to them, and they all have their own capacitor. the moving glow effect is the transfer of power each emitter segment holds to the fireing point, signifying that the more emitters in an array there are, the more powerful the arrays best shot can be. its all so air tight im baffled that this is somehow still being 'debated'.

neo1nx wrote: »
      however there is still something that bother me.
      well if this array only serve for the firering arc and that the energy feed that we saw constantly in the show are not a way to build up energy... why do they begin at one point of the array to then firing at the opposite point?
      if an emiter have the enemy in it "visual sight", why powering an other emiter, almost at the other side of the array, to then transfert the power all the way to the array that have the enemy in sight in the first place?
      i am sorry, but it just daesn't make sense, both in the time that it take and it the eventual lost of energy that would result in the operation when you compare it to just a direct shot of 1 emiter.

if someone got a credible, logical explanation for that, i really like to hear it.
      i mean everyone, even one of the creator of the show if they read this forum ( haha! i doubt it but we never known ).

i like the idea that the more longer the array the more powerfull it was, but after reading that passage in the technical manual, they were nothing ( to me anyway ) that clearly indicate that it was the case.
      exept for that tiny fx we see all the time that defies logic. until this is not sort, i could not prononce myself.

cause like i said, each emitter segment in an array has its own capacitor, a whole array doesn't have some large separate capacitor, if it did, then the pre fire moveing glow effect would make no sense, and wouldn't be there. but it is there in the show for 90% of the shots, its the only factor you cant 100% dismiss, so you have to try to justify its existence.luckaly you don't have to look far, or try to make something up explaining it, the tech manual has THE explanation for it.
      edited April 2015
      f2pdrakron wrote: »
      Its called division colors.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Operations_division

Its a long and detailed article, Tactical was NEVER a division but a operations department and never had specific colors, Security did had colors at some times but not during TNG era.

I wish people just linked to that instead of continue STO "tactical division" as having anu kind of reasoning behind "err ... we have Command, Science and Operations? too confusing to the players" and attempt to rationalize what can only be described as a arbitrary decision for reasons.

again that is in story. i am talking about behind the scenes even after worf took over as head of security he remained in red for the rest of season 1. they discovered the actors looked better in gold so they changed there costumes and as a result gordie became chief engineer and transferred to engineering (this also gave burton more work) worf sense he was a relief officer could of remain such and they could have gotten some one else to become security chief but instead they kept him as security so they could put him in a gold uniform

don;t need to link me to the articles i know what the colors mean it just had no bearing on why the producers wanted to put them in a different costume
      edited April 2015

Do you know why they changed command gold to red?
      (Some deeper reason?)

they wanted to get a way form the red shift joke

true story as well with interviews with the producers on the show and gene. gene hated the red shirt joke
    • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      f2pdrakron wrote: »
      Its called division colors.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Operations_division

Its a long and detailed article, Tactical was NEVER a division but a operations department and never had specific colors, Security did had colors at some times but not during TNG era.

I wish people just linked to that instead of continue STO "tactical division" as having anu kind of reasoning behind "err ... we have Command, Science and Operations? too confusing to the players" and attempt to rationalize what can only be described as a arbitrary decision for reasons.

I agree. STO really didn't help but confuse lots of people that aren't really that much into the "first layer" of fluff of Star Trek. The whole "Tactical" profession in STO makes no sense and is a obvious trinity based gameplay decision.

Captains should have been put into command from the very beginning, just being able to choose a "background" of Operations, Engineering, Science or Medical but not toying with the department colours like they did. It has bugged me from the very beginning that Security wore red once again. I reasoned it with that they just wanted to bring the redshirt joke back, but other than that it really irks me.

"Tactical" isn't a "thing" in canon, either. Yes, there are tactical officers, but that's shown as a senior position. There aren't "tactical officers" en mass running around the ships. Fighting operations have always been performed by Security, even highly sensitive operations like DS9s "To death" showe were performed by Security personnel and specialists, not "tactical" people, not "marines" or anything people come up with.

There is Starfleet Tactical, though. But it's a branch of Starfleet, not a department, and as such you have all departments be able to work for "Tactical". A ship's tactical officer though makes sense to belong to command and wear red - this was always the case with the exception of Worf and Tuvok and I think their position of head of security determined their colours.
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
      edited April 2015
      angrytarg wrote: »
      I agree. STO really didn't help but confuse lots of people that aren't really that much into the "first layer" of fluff of Star Trek. The whole "Tactical" profession in STO makes no sense and is a obvious trinity based gameplay decision.

Captains should have been put into command from the very beginning, just being able to choose a "background" of Operations, Engineering, Science or Medical but not toying with the department colours like they did. It has bugged me from the very beginning that Security wore red once again. I reasoned it with that they just wanted to bring the redshirt joke back, but other than that it really irks me.

"Tactical" isn't a "thing" in canon, either. Yes, there are tactical officers, but that's shown as a senior position. There aren't "tactical officers" en mass running around the ships. Fighting operations have always been performed by Security, even highly sensitive operations like DS9s "To death" showe were performed by Security personnel and specialists, not "tactical" people, not "marines" or anything people come up with.

There is Starfleet Tactical, though. But it's a branch of Starfleet, not a department, and as such you have all departments be able to work for "Tactical". A ship's tactical officer though makes sense to belong to command and wear red - this was always the case with the exception of Worf and Tuvok and I think their position of head of security determined their colours.

it just reminds me that if i had been making the calls about this games creation, i wouldn't have done everything entirely differently, basically the opposite of what they did, based mostly on actually capturing the essence of canon instead of making everything perfectly in line with an outdated, and stale a decade ago, RPG MMO model.

Operations, Engineering, Science would be the classes, as in your newly command track playable character's primary background. red shirts signify command personnel, period, no other color sits in captain chairs. you would start out as a LT that graduated 3 years ago, with a year of first officer experience aboard a rusty old frigate, your LTC skipper gets killed in the tutorial, field promotion, yada yada, level 40 is captain, an eventual level 60 MIGHT be rear admiral. story line takes a decade in universe to play out. as far as abilities go, ops would cover piloting, tactical and practical applications like tractor beams. eng covering power levels, sub systems, repair and engines. science covering debuffs, control, sensors, stealth and force multipliers.

bridge officers would not be tied to station powers, they would have been slotted like kit abilities from day 1. there would be no built in torp resistance on shields, a normal unbuffed torp launch would fire at least a burst of 4, and weapons would be much more minimalistic, 1 fired per hard point type only, and at later tiers when there are a lot of weapon slots, you would slot tac consoles there to kind of act like a blank weapon, or additional support equipment to make the 1 DHC or 1 beam array you have slotted more powerful. or a torp 'tac console' to make your launchers fire larger bursts. you would end up having weapons fire rate thats actually canon like, and every shot would mater, instead of the ugly and WRONG infinity spam of tickle hits from a disco ball, shaped like a star ship.

and that would be the most tiny tip of the iceberg, on what i'd do differently. correctly.
    • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      angrytarg wrote: »

The reason why the PCs arent just "command" is they wanted them to be specialized, they are essentially "command" but with a trinity specialization. I believe introducing "command" boffs did more to the confusion than anything else. I think the whole "tactical" aspect is the breakdown of respinsibilites that were Tasha Yar/Worf's, security and ship weapon systems operations. They didnt call it security because that was just the ground/internal ship aspect and tactical was just picked instead because the tactical officer on TNG did those encompassing duties. I am really not pressed either way.
      edited April 2015
      bridge officers would not be tied to station powers, they would have been slotted like kit abilities from day 1. there would be no built in torp resistance on shields, a normal unbuffed torp launch would fire at least a burst of 4, and weapons would be much more minimalistic, 1 fired per hard point type only, and at later tiers when there are a lot of weapon slots, you would slot tac consoles there to kind of act like a blank weapon, or additional support equipment to make the 1 DHC or 1 beam array you have slotted more powerful. or a torp 'tac console' to make your launchers fire larger bursts. you would end up having weapons fire rate thats actually canon like, and every shot would mater, instead of the ugly and WRONG infinity spam of tickle hits from a disco ball, shaped like a star ship.

and that would be the most tiny tip of the iceberg, on what i'd do differently. correctly.

That would be much better imo.
      I don't understand why Cryptic even made space combat like that.

I mean at early level Space combat looks much more like we know from Star Trek. But the higher the level gets the more confusing and cartoonish it gets.
      I'm not only talking about having 6 or 8 beams fireing at the same time, but why does every BOFF power and ability have a visual on the ship when activated?
      Heck why does my ship get pink when i activate a certain power? lol.
      I think it's brace for impact or something. A optional audio Feedback like someone saying "all hands brace for impact" would be much more immersive and less annoying imo. Of course that's just a example.

For me it would be enough to have a status display of all active powers/buff and one for debuffs seperated.

I know they made the visuals for the PvP guys but we should be at least have the option to turn them off when outside PvP (which is 99.9999% of the time for most players anyway).
      It's not even helpful imo, it's simply distracting and cluttering the view.

With a bit of good will and creativity i think Cryptics devs could remove at least 75% of all that annoying visuals (or at least make them optional).

A tale of two Picards