What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Galaxy class

Comments

• gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    edalgo wrote: »
    Best of Both Worlds part 1.

Shelley - Separate the saucer. Assign a skeleton crew to create a diversion.

Riker - No its too dangerous. We may need the power from the saucers IMPULSE ENGINES.

The impulse engines are powered by Fusion reactors.

Why didn't Riker say anything about the missing the large array? BC the array and subsequently the emitters on the array don't create nor store power.

Emitters do what? THEY EMIT!
    They are all about power output baby

Powe usage =/= power flow capacity
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    "Education"? We're talking about a sci-fi show from the 60's here. Most of the times the authors themselves didn't know how things work, that's why I mentioned the cringeworthy depictions of biological and genetic principles the show sports every single time that comes up.

I don't take sides in this discussion beyond what is shown on-screen is universal sci-fi language for a charged up beam. Captaind3 quoted some more TM explanations which state one emitter is capable of 5.1 MW, 200 would be 1.02 GW (via "charged up shot" as the effect suggests), both main arrays converged ont he same target would be 2.04 GW which is the order of magnitude the ship's shield are capable of withstanding at a signle point on the "shield grid", such a hit would let the shields collapse. I do share the sentiment that a Galaxy class would tactically be a steamroller or siege engine for that matter while other ships could use scatter fire across the board to weaken the "shield grid" at many points simultaneously to overload the shield, the TM states that this is the more efficient way to go I think.

To me that makes enough sense to accept it and move on. I basically have to accept that people can be injected with "genes" which makes their bone structure change in real time in this universe as well. In this theory array length would matter, but considering a phaser emitter can be anything from a flashlight to a energy transfer unit for a living space organism to a huge siege weapon carving out a Borg cube I have no problems accepting that you can use trek magic (or "tragic" :D) to overload a single emitter to the point of burning out if the situation requires it.

Maybe I am misinterpreting stuff as written text lacks some hints but I am getting the feeling that you and others are actually enraged about this whole issue, accusing DDIS of taking it to far while figururatively foaming from the mouth. DDIS comes across as reasonable and calm at least to me, even repeating his interpretation multiple times. Since the TM and the shows visuals don't clearly state one or the other (or maybe even a combination of both) theories are true, can't we just all calm down and just have fun discussing fictional concepts, agreeing or disagreeing with one another for this or that reason and shake hands?

I mean we're talking trektalk because it's supposed to be fun and relaxing. When we're seeing rage and namecalling (from either side) we're definitely taking it too far.
    I 100% agree and support your statement!
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2015
    At the end of the day its all about fun

Lets keep it that way
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    well that was the longest, most moronic, autistic, childish meltdown i ever read, about something not even real, and i thought i took this to seriously. were you even alive when tng first aired?

i don't have time for a long winded rebutle, but here's one thing i can totally debunk, for literally the hundredth time. "They are all about power output baby", is incorrect, because each emitter segment can only channel 5.1 MegaWatts, or 5.1 MegaJoules every second. you cant throw the output of your entire warp core through any one emitter, but you can throw quite a bit of it through say, 200 of them at once? thats why they even bother mentioning what each emitter segment in an array can output, that fact maters because there is a moving glow effect in the show that cant be anything but all those 5.1MW's being combined together.

i cant feel anything but embarrassment that this logic hasn't sunk in for certain people yet, and all the vitriol present in the incoherent rebuttals are like a further multiplier for the embarrassment i feel for them.
  • cdnhawkcdnhawk Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    TL;DR

I love the Galaxy, especially my T5-U Fleet Galaxy Dread, with all the Galaxy pack toys, the old Borg set (upgraded to Mk XIV), plus the Borg console and cutting beam, and all Fleet Mk XIV weapons. That being said, compared to my similarly equipped T5-U Tac Ody, it is hopelessly outclassed. Kinda feels like a completely upgraded WWI Super Dreadnought Battleship compared to the Iowa class BB's. It's good, until you see what good really is. I expect I will feel the same about my Ody once I get a T6, but I don't see myself putting any more real $$ into the game any time soon. Not because I don't want to support the game, but because I have other things that need to be paid for first, like my kids' college.

Do I think that my fleet Gal-X should be able to roflstomp whatever it comes up against? Hardly. But i'd expect that it would at least be less squishy.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ^Unless you're wedded to having three nacelles, seriously try the Andromeda. Way better ship, and you can still skin it as a GCS (with a much prettier model, no less). Seriously, I out-DPSed a Sarr Theln in ISA using quantum torps from the Delta rep and Mk X blue phasers I had fitted to my T4 Galaxy for RP reasons.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • mrtsheadmrtshead Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    well that was the longest, most moronic, autistic, childish meltdown i ever read, about something not even real, and i thought i took this to seriously. were you even alive when tng first aired?

You are defending something stupid, but that's not really my beef with you. My issue is that the line of reasoning you use is literally intellectual poison. You already have people saying that you sound reasonable, when, speaking as someone who professionally teaches critical reasoning and basic science, it's really just not reasonable at all. What you are doing is simply shifting your explanation and snookering others (and maybe yourself) into thinking it a coherent position because your conclusion hasn't changed. It would be laughable, if it wasn't so infuriating to watch you make people dumber.

Below will be an example, where you flip-flop on something you said earlier because I pointed out how it hurts your argument. Please feel free to not bother reading it either, since I see you are also part of that school of great thinkers who assume "too long" is a reasoned counter argument.
    i don't have time for a long winded rebutle, but here's one thing i can totally debunk, for literally the hundredth time. "They are all about power output baby", is incorrect, because each emitter segment can only channel 5.1 MegaWatts, or 5.1 MegaJoules every second. you cant throw the output of your entire warp core through any one emitter, but you can throw quite a bit of it through say, 200 of them at once? thats why they even bother mentioning what each emitter segment in an array can output, that fact maters because there is a moving glow effect in the show that cant be anything but all those 5.1MW's being combined together.

Yeah, no, see, the thing were you said that power throughput wasn't a limiting factor? That's what that was all about. You already conceded that if the firing emitter could handle the full power of the array from along the array, then it doesn't matter where that power comes from. Now not only are you contradicting yourself, you still aren't helping your position. It literally is all about the power. Either the emitter can handle the full power of the array at once (in which case it doesn't matter where the power comes from, it's just a matter of getting the power to the emitter), or else the emitter CAN'T handle the full power from the array, and thus it doesn't matter how many emitters you put in a series. In either case, the max power is a function of only two things - how much power the emitter can handle, and how much power it is being supplied. It is impossible for any other factors to matter, and thus it is impossible for your pet theory to be right.
    i cant feel anything but embarrassment that this logic hasn't sunk in for certain people yet, and all the vitriol present in the incoherent rebuttals are like a further multiplier for the embarrassment i feel for them.

log·ic läjik noun

reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity.
    a particular system or codification of the principles of proof and inference.
    the quality of being justifiable by reason.

You keep using that word. I don't think you know what it means.
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't hold any person agenda either except for making quality assumptions and deductions about what information is available.

It is infuriating when he spouts "well its universally accepted" or "I have done all the fact checking and research so it just is or "I see something so it must be true" So people just follow and begin regurgitate the same incorrect assumptions.

As someone who has taken high level engineering and physics courses in college I have an idea of what they're saying in the Tech Manual and interpret what we see and hear on the shows.

It's a relief to see someone else on the forums sees it as well.

I just want to say I appreciate you and MrShthd (sp?) for stepping up on this, I've been trying to make these points for some time, but wasnt as able to express it so well.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    (...)

As someone who has taken high level engineering and physics courses in college I have an idea of what they're saying in the Tech Manual and interpret what we see and hear on the shows.(...)

That might be the biggest problem, though. Fiction hardly follows real life science which you cannot deny considering the downright outlandish understanding of the sciences Star Trek depicts. They do lend terms or extremely simplified real concepts and do what fiction writers do best: extrapolate and create fantastic uses for it. Some fall easier apart than others, still they are true for the universe shown within this fiction.

We have the TM, we have what we see on screen and we interpret it. Obviously there isn't a universal interpretation, wether or not someone is a real engineer or scientist is irrelevant. It's supposed to be entertainment and anyone who takes this to cause bad blood is stepping over a line that's not healthy for anyone.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2015
    When in doubt I go back to the basics

The starship construction manual and the ship manuals

When its all said and done they are the prime source until some company makes new ones that still respects the Canon created by these...We can only hope

The officers manual...............Well Gene Robbenbury didn't like it too much so he snatched the product away from FASA for changing things he didn't want changed...Sad story I wish it had not happened
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
    edited May 2015
    Science Fiction not Science Fantasy.

If people are debating how the Universal Translator works well there's no way of proving 1 theory vs another since it's completely Vulcan tech/software.

But Capacitors and power transfers are tech we use today, TM description is firm in what it says and what it doesnt. The show correlates to either support 1 theory or debunk another. Much of Star Trek is based off of real Scientific Theory. Roddenberry wanted it that way. So it DOES help to know about physics and engineering.

Rodenberry wanted laser guns. A technical advisor told him "lasers don't do that". This is why we have phasers. They make stuff up and change it when it's necessary. Genes exist as well. But Star Trek's idea of genetics is hilariously nonsensical. The fiction doesn't necessarily work like it would in real life. That's something one should always keep in mind, it helps to not be "infuriated" at some point when we're supposed to discuss something we enjoy for entertainment purposes :)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    there is so much of trek tech that does not follow real world application though. trying to rely solely that is just asking to fail

i am also still waiting to be proved wrong so far i have not. you just brought up something about deflects which was unrelated just because they use the same amount of power means nothing. both my radio in my car and the rear window defrost use 12v there there is no way in hell the radio wiring can handle the rear defrost with out blowing out or burning up
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
    edited May 2015
    Rodenberry wanted laser guns. A technical advisor told him "lasers don't do that". This is why we have phasers. They make stuff up and change it when it's necessary. Genes exist as well. But Star Trek's idea of genetics is hilariously nonsensical. The fiction doesn't necessarily work like it would in real life. That's something one should always keep in mind, it helps to not be "infuriated" at some point when we're supposed to discuss something we enjoy for entertainment purposes :)

The problem that I have had is that there are people who read something from the TM and the show, made an interperatation, labelled it as "universally accepted" and has used it as gospel and has suggested those that disagree with it as incorrect and has judged the other interpretations( also based on TM and the show and using actual physics) as lesser.

This would not have escelated to "infuriation" if that persons interpretation (not even the real text) of the TM wasn't being used as a sort of canonic club on the heads of heretics.
    edited May 2015
    Isn't it possible to find a compromise all parties can agree on?

The way I see it: TM says one Type X phaser emitter is capable of a maximum output of 5.1 MW energy. The Ent-Ds shields operate at a maximum capacity of something around 2.6 or so GW. Even if we assume the Ent-Ds shields are exceptionally strong, a 5.1 MW hit would tickle most other ship's shields, especially those in comparable weight classes. However, phaser hits did disable many ships' shields on the first volley or downright destroyed the target. They also had prolonged fights and could not bring down the other shields. That means that single emitter shots cannot be the end to all and the arrays are simply to cover a bigger field of fire (which they also do, though). If one emitter cannot operate beyond 5.1 GW, a bigger number of emitters have to be capable of combining their output. And since the powerful shots are not large phaser waves emitted by 200 emitters AND the used FX is a typical Sci-Fi "charge up" animation we can assume that emitters can combine their firepower by somehow transfering their "shot" over the emitter surface to the neighbouring emitter, incresing the overall energy and are ultimately unleashed at the emitter that's best suited to take the shot. The enrgy, though, traverses the emitters on the surface, which is what we see. Now, real life physics might suggest that the glow alone is a safe sign of massive power loss, but this technology is so efficient that it's not an issue. This set up would make sense in so far as the numbers in the TM given for shield strength and weapon strength add up to reasonable dimensions. That means that array length does matter. However, a upgraded emitter that is capable of more than 5.1 GW or a emitter that is fiddled with to be able to deal with more can be stronger, which means a shorter array can deal equivalent damage to the Type X long array.

So, both theories can work together. Now, can we be friends again?
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited May 2015

The way I see it: TM says one Type X phaser emitter is capable of a maximum output of 5.1 MW energy. The Ent-Ds shields operate at a maximum capacity of something around 2.6 or so GW. Even if we assume the Ent-Ds shields are exceptionally strong, a 5.1 MW hit would tickle most other ship's shields, especially those in comparable weight classes. However, phaser hits did disable many ships' shields on the first volley or downright destroyed the target. They also had prolonged fights and could not bring down the other shields. That means that single emitter shots cannot be the end to all and the arrays are simply to cover a bigger field of fire (which they also do, though). If one emitter cannot operate beyond 5.1 GW, a bigger number of emitters have to be capable of combining their output. And since the powerful shots are not large phaser waves emitted by 200 emitters AND the used FX is a typical Sci-Fi "charge up" animation we can assume that emitters can combine their firepower by somehow transfering their "shot" over the emitter surface to the neighbouring emitter, incresing the overall energy and are ultimately unleashed at the emitter that's best suited to take the shot. The enrgy, though, traverses the emitters on the surface, which is what we see. Now, real life physics might suggest that the glow alone is a safe sign of massive power loss, but this technology is so efficient that it's not an issue. This set up would make sense in so far as the numbers in the TM given for shield strength and weapon strength add up to reasonable dimensions. That means that array length does matter. However, a upgraded emitter that is capable of more than 5.1 GW or a emitter that is fiddled with to be able to deal with more can be stronger, which means a shorter array can deal equivalent damage to the Type X long array.

That is way too reasonable, thank you.
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
  • mreeves7amreeves7a Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Also to be considered is the maximum, non-emergency tolerances of the individual emitter elements and their transfer mechanisms. It does zero good to have 1000 emitters chained together if the focal point can only handle the energies of 10 elements worth of phaser power.

The Galaxy and related ship's huge primary arrays are likely more about multipurposeness (after all, the phaser's trademark feature is its use as a tool, not just as a weapon) and adaptability than trying to play Death Star by combining a 100 little beams into one big one.

To me, the big arrays and little arrays are capable of similar levels of damage, but where the advantages of the big arrays come into play is when firing mulitple shots at the same target (DS9: Sacrifice of Angels features a scene where a Galaxy passes near a Galor and unleashes multiple blasts) or it's utility (TNG: A Matter of Time saw the Ent-D's saucer arrays used as titanic phaser drills and used to ionize a planet's atmosphere; the Antimatter Spread seen in Best of Both Worlds was deployed via the larger saucer arrays).
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    "Education"? We're talking about a sci-fi show from the 60's here. Most of the times the authors themselves didn't know how things work, that's why I mentioned the cringeworthy depictions of biological and genetic principles the show sports every single time that comes up.

I don't take sides in this discussion beyond what is shown on-screen is universal sci-fi language for a charged up beam. Captaind3 quoted some more TM explanations which state one emitter is capable of 5.1 MW, 200 would be 1.02 GW (via "charged up shot" as the effect suggests), both main arrays converged ont he same target would be 2.04 GW which is the order of magnitude the ship's shield are capable of withstanding at a signle point on the "shield grid", such a hit would let the shields collapse. I do share the sentiment that a Galaxy class would tactically be a steamroller or siege engine for that matter while other ships could use scatter fire across the board to weaken the "shield grid" at many points simultaneously to overload the shield, the TM states that this is the more efficient way to go I think.

To me that makes enough sense to accept it and move on. I basically have to accept that people can be injected with "genes" which makes their bone structure change in real time in this universe as well. In this theory array length would matter, but considering a phaser emitter can be anything from a flashlight to a energy transfer unit for a living space organism to a huge siege weapon carving out a Borg cube I have no problems accepting that you can use trek magic (or "tragic" :D) to overload a single emitter to the point of burning out if the situation requires it.

Maybe I am misinterpreting stuff as written text lacks some hints but I am getting the feeling that you and others are actually enraged about this whole issue, accusing DDIS of taking it to far while figururatively foaming from the mouth. DDIS comes across as reasonable and calm at least to me, even repeating his interpretation multiple times. Since the TM and the shows visuals don't clearly state one or the other (or maybe even a combination of both) theories are true, can't we just all calm down and just have fun discussing fictional concepts, agreeing or disagreeing with one another for this or that reason and shake hands?

I mean we're talking trektalk because it's supposed to be fun and relaxing. When we're seeing rage and namecalling (from either side) we're definitely taking it too far.

All very true sir.

I think with the injecting genes thing they always deployed those changes via viruses and retroviruses.

mrtshead wrote: »
    Yeah, no, see, the thing were you said that power throughput wasn't a limiting factor? That's what that was all about. You already conceded that if the firing emitter could handle the full power of the array from along the array, then it doesn't matter where that power comes from. Now not only are you contradicting yourself, you still aren't helping your position. It literally is all about the power. Either the emitter can handle the full power of the array at once (in which case it doesn't matter where the power comes from, it's just a matter of getting the power to the emitter), or else the emitter CAN'T handle the full power from the array, and thus it doesn't matter how many emitters you put in a series. In either case, the max power is a function of only two things - how much power the emitter can handle, and how much power it is being supplied. It is impossible for any other factors to matter, and thus it is impossible for your pet theory to be right.

That's....hmm, that's a good point.

Let me chew on this, cause I am having fun and working through these problems is great for my personal interpretation and writing (SCE til I die).

The only answer that I can come up with is the last two paragraphs of the phaser firing section of the manual Beam Emission.
    The Collimated energy beam exits one or more of the factes, depending on which prefire chambers are being pumped with plasma. The segment firing order, as controlled by the phaser function command processor, together with facet discharge direction, determines the final beam vector.

Energy from all discharged segments passes directionally over neighboring segments due to force coupling, converging on the release point, where the beam will emerge and travel at C to the target.

So according to the good book, the passing of the energy along the array literally takes place at the outermost and final emitter layer.

So if we're asking where the limiter is, what is the part that can only take 5.1 MW at a time, then I would say that it's the prefire chamber, which is the last segment engaged before the energy starts to travel along the array. So the actual trifaceted crystal that constitutes the final stage can process as much energy as you want, but each individual prefire chamber that actually makes the phaser beam itself in the Type X Phaser Array as deployed on the Enterprise-D can only do 5.1 MW at once. So, both are true.

I like it Targ I like it a lot.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
    edited May 2015
    You are defending something stupid, but that's not really my beef with you. My issue is that the line of reasoning you use is literally intellectual poison. You already have people saying that you sound reasonable, when, speaking as someone who professionally teaches critical reasoning and basic science, it's really just not reasonable at all. What you are doing is simply shifting your explanation and snookering others (and maybe yourself) into thinking it a coherent position because your conclusion hasn't changed. It would be laughable, if it wasn't so infuriating to watch you make people dumber.

you teach critical reasoning and you cant make out the difference between elaborating and pivoting? those poor students. do you also teach them to use, on purpose, appeals to authority? one of the most blatant and easy to spot logical fallacies? that sounds intellectual poisonous:eek:

your understanding of emitters is grossly incomplete, and HYPER simplified in the way you just assume they work. thats generally the problem with you two, there's a wealth of information that fits together in a very complex way, but you chose to remain ignorant of it, so it appears my conclusions don't make sense, or are illogical. now people are actually examining the information for themselves, are coming to the same early conclusions i did years ago, that are in line with what ive been saying all along.

just because i didn't start with the most complex, intricate description of how arrays work from post 1, does not mean that i'm pivoting, or adjusting positions. i'm ELABORATING. i start as simple and easy to understand as possible, and when aspects of it get challenged, i have to go deeper, get more technical, site more sources. nothing actually contradicts itself. what you brought up is a PERFECT example of this process. also a perfect example of the hyper simple way you assumed arrays function.

you might be on to something, if an emitter segment LITERALLY had only a single identifiable component. each emitter segment can channel 5.1 MW from it's EPS tap, that does not mean the top most discharge emitter plate cant handle more then that running over it or through it. the emitter has to actually converts the raw energized plasma into whatever phaser energy is, at a rate of only 5.1 mega joules per second, in addition to fireing it or feeding it down the array. emitters don't just shoot raw plasma like its a nozzle on the end of a garden hose, your hyper simplified assumed way they function, its 5.1 rating is what it's capable of converting into phaser energy. this is elaborated in this bit of techno babel.
    The TNG TM wrote:
    Energetic plasma is pumped to a prefire chamber made out of a superconducting lithium-copper. There, it undergoes a rapid nadion effect in which strong nuclear forces are liberated. A protonic charge forms and is released in pulses to the emitter made out of the same superconductive crystal. A beam of elecromagnetic energy is released from it, at the speed of light. On starships, energy for phasers originates from the EPS, while on hand units, the charge of energetic plasma is stored into sarium-krellide. This material is used because it can't accidentally release the charge of plasma. "

is it any wonder why the visible part of the array on a GCS is about twice as wide as it is on any other ship? its potentially got a lot more power that could run through it, having twice the emitter segments as the ship with the second longest array.

regardless of that elaboration,the surface discharge plate can handle all the power the whole array can generate, repeatedly, every second, for minutes on end. possibly more, thats all we have been able to observe. also, emitter segments can only channel 5.1 MW each, plainly stated in the manual. both of these are facts, gathered from ether the show or tech manual, they do not contradict each other, not even when i speak them.

here's a handy link to my 101 level description of how arrays work. do be sure to keep me honest if i ever contradict whats said there.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=23029901&postcount=1147

But Capacitors and power transfers are tech we use today, TM description is firm in what it says and what it doesnt. The show correlates to either support 1 theory or debunk another. Much of Star Trek is based off of real Scientific Theory. Roddenberry wanted it that way. So it DOES help to know about physics and engineering.

we do not power electrical devices with electro-plasma, today. the conduits that transport it in the trek universe have more in common with water pipes then copper wires.
    gpgtx wrote: »
    there is so much of trek tech that does not follow real world application though. trying to rely solely that is just asking to fail

90% of the fail in this thread seems to be about an assumption that any of the tech behind phasers is in any way relatable to any tech we use today.

The problem that I have had is that there are people who read something from the TM and the show, made an interperatation, labelled it as "universally accepted" and has used it as gospel and has suggested those that disagree with it as incorrect and has judged the other interpretations( also based on TM and the show and using actual physics) as lesser.

This would not have escelated to "infuriation" if that persons interpretation (not even the real text) of the TM wasn't being used as a sort of canonic club on the heads of heretics.

as far as i can tell, im the only one still on this forum that has the 'hoby' of trying to reason and rationalize trek tech, at least to this degree. there are quite a few others like me, but they operate elsewhere nowadays and abandoned this forum back in the beta days of sto. most of the recent debate is a retread of debates with those others that led to what i have been saying all along. everyone with the 'hoby' agrees more or less with the findings i have presented, its universally excepted by those that have thought about this the most. i wasn't trying to browbeat with this 'appeals to authority', i was trying to convey that what i present is the collaborative effort of years of reasoning by around a dozen folks, im not just asspulling on the spot.

i cant even take full credit for the finding i have presented, i didn't even originally form them, and i've only presented about half of the theory, that we all sort of agree on. in a way, the rest of the theory nerfs large arrays quite a bit, compared to even single emitter shots. though larger arrays are still going to be the most powerful, ships with smaller arrays don't just lose as hard. if anyone is interested in it, i could post the whole thing.
  • mrtsheadmrtshead Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    you teach critical reasoning and you cant make out the difference between elaborating and pivoting? those poor students. do you also teach them to use, on purpose, appeals to authority? one of the most blatant and easy to spot logical fallacies? that sounds intellectual poisonous:eek:

I admit, my credentials as a professional educator and expert on both the science and the logical reasoning in play here aren't nearly as impressive as... what did you credential yourself as in the last paragraph here again? A Star Trek Hobbyist? What is that, exactly, and how does it relate to something like "Ancient Astronaut Theorist"? If you are going to take issue with me for an appeal to authority, how do you reconcile that with your laughable attempts to establish your own expertise? If you are going to claim that you have special insight because you wasted endless hours rationalizing the conclusion you wished to draw, I'm totally inbounds challenging that claim to expertise with one of my own.

For the record, an appeal to authority is only fallacious logic when it constitutes the sole (or primary) reason to dismiss an interpretation. That's not what I'm doing here. I'm using it as one element of a multi-pronged analysis that finds, on balance, that your analysis is wanting. That's no more fallacious than asserting that if we want to understand how the pyramids are built, we should talk to an archeologist (or even historian), and not someone who is a self-styled expert on a pet theory about how aliens did everything.

Oh, and as far as pivoting goes, several posts ago you wrote:

"Most of this is more responding to NOT my position, but the part about there being a limitation on the power throughput that last emitter can handle, obviously isn't an issue. There have been full array moving glow discharges, power drawn from every segment on the largest array, and it fired it no problem. In BoBW, it did dozens of these, one every second or less, for like minutes. This is not a possibly a limiting factor."

This is pretty black and white- the throughput that the last emitter can handle isn't the issue. In fact, in your words, it cannot possibly be a limiting factor. This logically means that (as I pointed out) it's not the length of the array that matters, it's simply the amount of power you can deliver to that "final" emitter that matters. Now suddenly you're walking that claim back with how OF COURSE the emitter limit matters, because of "complexities" that you assert I can't understand, despite the fact that I clearly understand power flow and the associated thermodynamics far better than you. And the most damning thing of all is that you honestly don't even seem to be able to see yourself doing this.
    your understanding of emitters is grossly incomplete, and HYPER simplified in the way you just assume they work. thats generally the problem with you two, there's a wealth of information that fits together in a very complex way, but you chose to remain ignorant of it, so it appears my conclusions don't make sense, or are illogical. now people are actually examining the information for themselves, are coming to the same early conclusions i did years ago, that are in line with what ive been saying all along.

just because i didn't start with the most complex, intricate description of how arrays work from post 1, does not mean that i'm pivoting, or adjusting positions. i'm ELABORATING. i start as simple and easy to understand as possible, and when aspects of it get challenged, i have to go deeper, get more technical, site more sources. nothing actually contradicts itself. what you brought up is a PERFECT example of this process. also a perfect example of the hyper simple way you assumed arrays function.

you might be on to something, if an emitter segment LITERALLY had only a single identifiable component. each emitter segment can channel 5.1 MW from it's EPS tap, that does not mean the top most discharge emitter plate cant handle more then that running over it or through it. the emitter has to actually converts the raw energized plasma into whatever phaser energy is, at a rate of only 5.1 mega joules per second, in addition to fireing it or feeding it down the array. emitters don't just shoot raw plasma like its a nozzle on the end of a garden hose, your hyper simplified assumed way they function, its 5.1 rating is what it's capable of converting into phaser energy. this is elaborated in this bit of techno babel.

No, drunk, sorry, I understood that argument literally instantly. What you don't seem to get is the obvious fact that if the emitter is only capable of converting 5.1 MW energy into "phaser energy", then it doesn't matter how much power you provide that emitter - it will still only convert 5.1 MW into "phaser energy", and thus will not gain power by having it routed through other emitters. Multiple components doesn't help you either - if the power junctions or whatever are able to handle the throughput in the final emitter, then that's all that matters. Now, you are going to counter (if you are smart) with "Right, but obviously what's going on is each emitter transforms 5.1Mw of energy into phaser energy (which is a magical distinct form of energy), and then passes it down the line". There are several problems with that-

First, it's an entirely new concept that you haven't introduced ever before, and means that now your interpretation has to deal with an entirely new nonsensical concept of what energy is (similar to how you laughably attempted to appeal to "special" magnetic fields needed to contain plasma and antimatter earlier). On face we should reject this as a needless complication that serves no function other than to provide yet another post-hoc rationalization for the conclusion you seek to arrive at.

Second, it's still not helping you - all that does is shift the type of energy that you supply the final emitter. There's no reason to suspect that "phaser energy" can't be converted from an internal power system without the emitter plates attached, or that it can't be transferred around the ship by means other than a silly FX glow along the surface of the ship. You will, I'm sure, invent wholesale some reasons why the ONLY place the conversion can take place is in a phaser emitter, and the ONLY way that energy can be transferred is along the surface of the array, but it will be clear to everyone that those aren't things that you "figured out" - they aren't design principles that are deducible in any way from what we see in the show, nor what you claim to have (mis)read in a technical manual. There is not a shred of "evidence" to support those distinction, but I'm sure that won't stop you.

Third, even then, all that does is mean that someone else - another Trek writer, a "hobbyist", or whatever, can do the same thing you've done, and simply technobabble away your limitation. You say emitters are the only way to generate/transfer "phaser energy", and I assert the existence of a widget that removes that limitation, and thus decouples array length from power delivered. That just brings us back to my central condemnation of your "argument" - you don't have one, and you keep mistaking the things that you make up because they make sense to you (because you don't know any better) with things that are actually discoverable or inferable from actual evidence. You say I'm just making things up - I say right back at you. You say your theory is better supported by the show - I say that's a factual inaccurate claim. Round and round we go. This is what I was saying in my post before about how these technical details are irrelevant - they are all make-believe, and there's nothing in the show to support either one. At that point, if you want to admit that your theory is not actually a theory at all, but simply an aesthetic choice that you've chosen to make a stand on, that's fine - that's consistent with my purpose here. I don't care if you choose to believe untrue or silly things, I only care that you attempt to convince others that there is a level of intellectual value to them that simply isn't there.

I will say, though, that from a personal perspective, I would certainly advocate that if people are trying to decide whose worldview to follow, there are likely advantages to following the one that more closely mirrors actual knowable science and is still fully consistent with the canon and narrative themes of the show. YMMV of course.
    as far as i can tell, im the only one still on this forum that has the 'hoby' of trying to reason and rationalize trek tech, at least to this degree. there are quite a few others like me, but they operate elsewhere nowadays and abandoned this forum back in the beta days of sto. most of the recent debate is a retread of debates with those others that led to what i have been saying all along. everyone with the 'hoby' agrees more or less with the findings i have presented, its universally excepted by those that have thought about this the most. i wasn't trying to browbeat with this 'appeals to authority', i was trying to convey that what i present is the collaborative effort of years of reasoning by around a dozen folks, im not just asspulling on the spot.

And again, things that a group of non-qualified non-experts made up to find ways to rationalize the inconsistencies of the show in a way that lined up with their pet theory is not a sound basis for any kind of rational intellectual process. "Star Trek Hobbyist" isn't a credible title, and the fact that there's a groupthink consensus among your self-selected peer group proves only (once again) that you've confused rationalization with intellectual pursuits.

Don't bother posting the whole thing, drunk, because the world could really do with less
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    "Education"? We're talking about a sci-fi show from the 60's here...

...I mean we're talking trektalk because it's supposed to be fun and relaxing. When we're seeing rage and namecalling (from either side) we're definitely taking it too far.

The pointless dribble that's been going on in the last few pages is exaclty why Star Trek fans are generally considered to be nerds (in the bad conotation).
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited May 2015
    shpoks wrote: »
    The pointless dribble that's been going on in the last few pages is exaclty why Star Trek fans are generally considered to be nerds (in the bad conotation).

Well... Duh 😊 At least the big argument of the day isnt who shot first, Han or Greedo? Also, you havent seen some of geeking us gear-heads do, and thats one of the least nerdy groups out there.

As far as an outsiders view of Star Trek fans go, they think its negatively nerdy, they can take a hike. :p
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Han totally shot first!!

I hate the 2nd CGI'd travesty!

If Greedo shot first Han would be dead.

I believe Lucas said they only changed that to Greedo shooting first because otherwise the MPAA was threatening to upgrade A New Hope's rating from PG to PG-13 for showing one of the heroes committing second-degree murder. Even Lucas himself was photographed wearing a "Han shot first!" T-shirt. :D

/derail
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited May 2015

i cant even take full credit for the finding i have presented, i didn't even originally form them, and i've only presented about half of the theory, that we all sort of agree on. in a way, the rest of the theory nerfs large arrays quite a bit, compared to even single emitter shots. though larger arrays are still going to be the most powerful, ships with smaller arrays don't just lose as hard. if anyone is interested in it, i could post the whole thing.

Did you pay a membership fee for this "hobby", and get a "special snowflake" membership card? Time chatting abd reasoning with people similar to you for "X" number of years doesn't make you an expert. A dozen people does not make for a valid consensus, nor does it make the "theory" "universally accepted" either. Coming to a consensus with the same people doesn't make you an expert (BTW that's called group-think).

You might not be rear-end-pulling on the spot, but rear-end-pulling over time is just as bad, if not worse because of the time involved, but I will give you a gold star for effort.

Saying that using current science to refute what you are saying is a straw-mans argument, because then you (and your 12 genius special snowflake associates) become the only ones who can truly understand it, because you and your associates say its so. A person doesn't have to be able to build something to understand it. We can apply what we see with what science we have and draw conclusions, and science can be used to discuss or refute sci-fi.

I don't mean to be harsh, but really, don't you see how arrogant and incredulous you sound with some of your arguments? You aren't the only one, nor part of the only group that has thought and discussed all things sci-fi/Star Trek/etc. Your'e just the one trying to make it sound like it makes you an expert, above everyone else.
    edited May 2015
    Oh, and as far as pivoting goes, several posts ago you wrote:

"Most of this is more responding to NOT my position, but the part about there being a limitation on the power throughput that last emitter can handle, obviously isn't an issue. There have been full array moving glow discharges, power drawn from every segment on the largest array, and it fired it no problem. In BoBW, it did dozens of these, one every second or less, for like minutes. This is not a possibly a limiting factor."

This is pretty black and white- the throughput that the last emitter can handle isn't the issue. In fact, in your words, it cannot possibly be a limiting factor. This logically means that (as I pointed out) it's not the length of the array that matters, it's simply the amount of power you can deliver to that "final" emitter that matters. Now suddenly you're walking that claim back with how OF COURSE the emitter limit matters, because of "complexities" that you assert I can't understand, despite the fact that I clearly understand power flow and the associated thermodynamics far better than you. And the most damning thing of all is that you honestly don't even seem to be able to see yourself doing this.

you once again assume the actual emitter discharge plate, visible on the surface of the hull, and the output rating of each emitter segment are the same thing. the 5.1 is how much raw plasma each segment can receive, convert, pass on or fire on its own. there is no observed limit to how much throughput can pass through the surface discharge plate at once, that was the specific component i was referring to in that quote.

there is a shortage of terms to clearly illustrate what im trying to convey perhaps, but i don't want to go inventing any, cause i'd get even more undo grief for that. when i specifically say segments, that refers to everything between the EPS conduit and the prefire chamber, and every segment can handle it's 5.1MW. the literal emitter part of the emitter, the discharge plate that sticks out of the hull, has no observed limit to how much power can pass through it or fire from any point on it. i may have failed to explain this clearly yet, but i have not changed positions on anything, merely elaborated glossed over portions of the theory, that inevitably get called into question.

the tech manual description of all the components in each emitter segment can be found in the post i linked, you're welcome to read up on them, an understanding would be needed or surly what i'm writing would appear to be gibberish. not only would it allow you to be aconstructive participant, it would be polite to actually be on the same page, its on the detractor to understand the subject mater before he barges in and calls everything BS or illogical.

No, drunk, sorry, I understood that argument literally instantly. What you don't seem to get is the obvious fact that if the emitter is only capable of converting 5.1 MW energy into "phaser energy", then it doesn't matter how much power you provide that emitter - it will still only convert 5.1 MW into "phaser energy", and thus will not gain power by having it routed through other emitters.

its not being routed through the lower internal workings of each emitter, the part that receives and processes the raw plasma. the energy is discharged through the surface emitter plate, i may not have plainly stated that because i though that was OBVIOUS, seeing as you see that literally happening in the show, thats the moving low effect.

Multiple components doesn't help you either - if the power junctions or whatever are able to handle the throughput in the final emitter, then that's all that matters. Now, you are going to counter (if you are smart) with "Right, but obviously what's going on is each emitter transforms 5.1Mw of energy into phaser energy (which is a magical distinct form of energy), and then passes it down the line". There are several problems with that-

First, it's an entirely new concept that you haven't introduced ever before,

its more elaboration. i intentionally never mentioned per segment output in megawatts, among other things, because it makes what is being talked about more complex, less cut and dry. the insipid nitpicking is what drew it out, i would have preferred keeping it much more simple, because the more complex i have to get, the more hellish the debate becomes. i mean clearly, just look at this thread.

and means that now your interpretation has to deal with an entirely new nonsensical concept of what energy is (similar to how you laughably attempted to appeal to "special" magnetic fields needed to contain plasma and antimatter earlier). On face we should reject this as a needless complication that serves no function other than to provide yet another post-hoc rationalization for the conclusion you seek to arrive at.

right, this is once again something i just made up on the spot. did you ever even watch star trek? go ahead, try containing antimater in a box made of mater, tell me how that goes. a GCS, the yamato, was lost because 'special' magnetic fields stooped working all the sudden.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Antideuterium
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Antimatter_pod
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Magnetic_containment_field

Second, it's still not helping you - all that does is shift the type of energy that you supply the final emitter. There's no reason to suspect that "phaser energy" can't be converted from an internal power system without the emitter plates attached, or that it can't be transferred around the ship by means other than a silly FX glow along the surface of the ship.

no reason not, sure. but it doesn't. the manual tells us exactly what does the converting, its all self contained in emitter segments. plasma is routed through the ship, its the universal power source. the phaser energy, or rapid nadions or whatever, are created on site in emitter segments. they could do anything, anywhere, but instead they do it the exact way they describe. they can do that, because its not real, and the science is not real, and it all works the way they say it does, because its a tv show.
    You will, I'm sure, invent wholesale some reasons why the ONLY place the conversion can take place is in a phaser emitter, and the ONLY way that energy can be transferred is along the surface of the array, but it will be clear to everyone that those aren't things that you "figured out" - they aren't design principles that are deducible in any way from what we see in the show, nor what you claim to have (mis)read in a technical manual. There is not a shred of "evidence" to support those distinction, but I'm sure that won't stop you.

they do it were it says they do it, they do it were you see it happen, and it works the way it does because thats the way they say it works. i didn't decide any of that, take it up with the show producers if you dont like it.
    Third, even then, all that does is mean that someone else - another Trek writer, a "hobbyist", or whatever, can do the same thing you've done, and simply technobabble away your limitation. You say emitters are the only way to generate/transfer "phaser energy", and I assert the existence of a widget that removes that limitation, and thus decouples array length from power delivered.

cool, i believe its totally possible such a thing exists, that could turn my theory on their head, and i would accept it. i look forward to the screenshot or passage in the manual that talks about it, until then i'll stick to actual evidence.
    That just brings us back to my central condemnation of your "argument" - you don't have one, and you keep mistaking the things that you make up because they make sense to you (because you don't know any better) with things that are actually discoverable or inferable from actual evidence.

You say I'm just making things up - I say right back at you. You say your theory is better supported by the show - I say that's a factual inaccurate claim. Round and round we go.

i know we are dealing with make believe, but your post is an existential rollercoaster. none of what you say is right, because they could have done things in all these other ways! sorry, they didn't do things those ways, they didn't describe the components or functions in that way, they did them the way they did them.

This is what I was saying in my post before about how these technical details are irrelevant - they are all make-believe, and there's nothing in the show to support either one.

except all the shots having a moving glow effect charge up before the shot is fired

except the glow coming from both sides of the shot, implying 2 different bits of power being combined into 1 shot, implying its helpful to have at least 2 emitters in an array

except that there are only 2 arrays on the saucer, and like 10 on the secondary hull. does the aft fire arc of a GCS have 4 or 5 times more firepower potential then the forward arc, with just the 1 or 2 array?

why does this never happen instead
    of 1 shot at a time, if multiple emitter cant contribute power to each shot?

i think these questions alone make a solid case for array length/number of emitter segments having a cumulative effect on how powerful each shot can be. especially seeing as you literally see this accumulation in the show, and you have the tech manual that spells out over a bunch of techno babble that each emitter segment is its own phaser bank, and can output all by itself a certain amount of phaser power, or sequentially discharge it down the rest of the array. they wouldn't have mentioned each segment's output, if it wasn't a factor, a limiting factor, that would necessitate a group effort of many emitters for high powered shots.

At that point, if you want to admit that your theory is not actually a theory at all, but simply an aesthetic choice that you've chosen to make a stand on, that's fine - that's consistent with my purpose here. I don't care if you choose to believe untrue or silly things, I only care that you attempt to convince others that there is a level of intellectual value to them that simply isn't there.

I will say, though, that from a personal perspective, I would certainly advocate that if people are trying to decide whose worldview to follow, there are likely advantages to following the one that more closely mirrors actual knowable science and is still fully consistent with the canon and narrative themes of the show. YMMV of course.

And again, things that a group of non-qualified non-experts made up to find ways to rationalize the inconsistencies of the show in a way that lined up with their pet theory is not a sound basis for any kind of rational intellectual process. "Star Trek Hobbyist" isn't a credible title, and the fact that there's a groupthink consensus among your self-selected peer group proves only (once again) that you've confused rationalization with intellectual pursuits.

Don't bother posting the whole thing, drunk, because the world could really do with less

you know, i get the feeling a debate about magic future science, that has nothing you can relate with currency science, isn't really your cup of tee, it doesn't float your boat. thankfully, there are an infinite number of other things you could spend your time doing.
    edited May 2015
    Did you pay a membership fee for this "hobby", and get a "special snowflake" membership card? Time chatting abd reasoning with people similar to you for "X" number of years doesn't make you an expert. A dozen people does not make for a valid consensus, nor does it make the "theory" "universally accepted" either. Coming to a consensus with the same people doesn't make you an expert (BTW that's called group-think).

You might not be rear-end-pulling on the spot, but rear-end-pulling over time is just as bad, if not worse because of the time involved, but I will give you a gold star for effort.

Saying that using current science to refute what you are saying is a straw-mans argument, because then you (and your 12 genius special snowflake associates) become the only ones who can truly understand it, because you and your associates say its so. A person doesn't have to be able to build something to understand it. We can apply what we see with what science we have and draw conclusions, and science can be used to discuss or refute sci-fi.

I don't mean to be harsh, but really, don't you see how arrogant and incredulous you sound with some of your arguments? You aren't the only one, nor part of the only group that has thought and discussed all things sci-fi/Star Trek/etc.

cool hostility bro! well i tried to defuse that, but F it.
    Your'e just the one trying to make it sound like it makes you an expert, above everyone else.

you mean demonstrating i'm an expert. oops sorry, that was arrogant, i keep forgetting facts end were feelings begin.