What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Server Outage, December 31st

Comments

• Options
    gruven999gruven999 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Looks like that at least the login servers are working again....at least I was able to overcome the launcher and was just before accessing the toon list.
  • Options
    ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    tongfe wrote: »
    First off, before everyone gets their knickers in a knot, I actually DO know what I am talking about since I've been a SysAdmin for almost 20 years now.

With the resources you folks have, I'm shocked this kind of issue can happen. I'm sure you rake in the dough so why don't you have redundant servers? I'm managed gaming servers before. Its not rocket science. Use EasyDNS to shift and manage your DNS and you're left with a grand total of 5 minutes of theoretical downtime.

If this is a dDoS, then why aren't you mitigating already? I'm sure your NOCs have this in place. If they don't, for a company of your size, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Also, before the flaming begins, I may not be a 'monthly subscriber' but I just dropped money on this game buying updates. So yeah, I do have quid invested just like many of you.

Get your S#17 together folks...

There's 10, 25 year server admins in the other thread in general....I'm guessing you are not the only one who knows what they are talking about.

But redundancy seems to be redundant around here at times. :D
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • Options
    saxifrsaxifr Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    would a chinchilla help?
  • Options
    kriskringle3kriskringle3 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I know what it is:

"Q" is at this best..... Seeing if the STO community is worthy of Ship Discounts.
  • Options
    triny83triny83 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Happy New Year, everyone!
    Go to a party now, leave the STO fun for later... :)
  • Options
    tongfetongfe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    These types of issues...the one now, and the ones I've read in this forum post from the past, are the types of issues that happen to an Indy Garage game. Not from a professional house that has the ST franchise.

I haven't bothered to take the time to analyze where the IPs of this game route to, but I certainly hope they aren't using some BS data center like LiquidWeb, Level3, iWeb, or RackSpace. Please, God no, not RackSpace.
  • Options
    maleciahmaleciah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    For me, it allows me diverse options for ships to have them. I keep them and it is helpful to have options. I hope they get the servers fixed soon. I have today off and the fleet starbase is so close to the next tier. We have about 2000 marks left to go before we start that process.
  • Options
    ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Be a good time to apply that fix so our alts can get their ships for 40 Q pics.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

• Options
    hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    tancrediiv wrote: »
    Server stability patches aren't.

Sorry for your hamsters. I have a nice ferret if that will help get the servers back up and running.

Happy New Year :D

You do realize the ferret will probably eat the hamsters right? BAD TAN BAD!!!

And yeah, this did happen last year too XD
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • Options
    mrspam404mrspam404 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This is the same TRIBBLE that made me quit playing for the last two years. Its good to see not much changes around here.
  • Options
    m4tkem4tke Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Just something to make you all lol, while we sit here hoping and waiting for servers to be back up soon.

According to these forums record in the top right, I last visited them on the 12-31-1969!!...I wasn't even born then :D
  • Options
    purplesplatpurplesplat Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Seems to be back up now....

But while everyone's ********... anyone else loosing EC for no reason? I've lost about 500,000 EC over the last week or so. I've lost 100,000 today alone.
  • Options
    djkbluedjkblue Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ravin wrote: »
    Be a good time to apply that fix so our alts can get their ships for 40 Q pics.

Or check out star citizen which looks so damn cool if i had 10k to burn i probably would. That game makes me want to throw all my money to them and STO is helping me decide to with this ****. I have been playing since closed beta and its never gotten better my love of trek keeps me coming back but that's stretching real thin atm.:confused:
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    First off, before everyone gets their knickers in a knot, I actually DO know what I am talking about since I've been a SysAdmin for almost 20 years now.

With the resources you folks have, I'm shocked this kind of issue can happen. I'm sure you rake in the dough so why don't you have redundant servers? I'm managed gaming servers before. Its not rocket science. Use EasyDNS to shift and manage your DNS and you're left with a grand total of 5 minutes of theoretical downtime.

If this is a dDoS, then why aren't you mitigating already? I'm sure your NOCs have this in place. If they don't, for a company of your size, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Now over the Christmas holiday, a much larger company (Sony) had their Playstation network brought down by DDOS attack for over 2 days. And even Microsoft's XBox network was taken down with a DDOS as well, so its not as if you are qualified to say who should be ashamed of themselves...
  • Options
    cappattoncappatton Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    With the problem on holodeck go, play on Tribble.
  • Options
    moonwater2moonwater2 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    launcher came up server shows down. Tried to load for the heck of it and got into the game only to find I was completely alone, for about 30 seconds. Chat Only shows LOCAL, can't pm anyone or fleet chat etc. Something is seriously wrong, oh well. You think they could afford some new hamsters after all the money I spent on them this month XD
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Seems to be back up now....

But while everyone's ********... anyone else loosing EC for no reason? I've lost about 500,000 EC over the last week or so. I've lost 100,000 today alone.

Nope... haven't lost any EC. Also, server status is still red.
  • Options
    mikoto123amikoto123a Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Happy Hogmanay and a Prosperous New Year to all when it Comes...
  • Options
    otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Remember when this happened every Sunday? Things have gotten better since then, tndhey will get better this time too. Thank you DEVs and all of the other people working to make STO better.
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    This just proves my point! My God folks. I sincerely hope someone is getting fired for their TERRIBLE TERRIBLE job.

And do you think the people who have actually financially contributed are going to get anything for this inconvenience? Hell no. Again, if I hadn't paid anything I certainly wouldn't be complaining. What would I have to complain about? But when I DO actually pay money for something, I hold you accountable to deliver!

And shoddy network administration, at its core, is inexcusable. We should ALL be demanding SOMETHING. If not EVERYONE, then at least those of us who have actually paid real money for something witht his game!

Take some ownership Cryptic!
  • Options
    crazymike117crazymike117 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    djkblue wrote: »
    Or check out star citizen which looks so damn cool if i had 10k to burn i probably would. That game makes me want to throw all my money to them and STO is helping me decide to with this ****. I have been playing since closed beta and its never gotten better my love of trek keeps me coming back but that's stretching real thin atm.:confused:

Well while we are waiting on Star citizen which should be released by late next year. Elite Dangerous looks good to from the previews its a little slow but when combat happens if can be real fun.
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    And shoddy network administration, at its core, is inexcusable. We should ALL be demanding SOMETHING. If not EVERYONE, then at least those of us who have actually paid real money for something witht his game!
    This gets trotted out at every problem. Read the EULA, which you agree to by playing. They don't owe you jack. Sad, but true.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    tancrediivtancrediiv Member Posts: 728 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You do realize the ferret will probably eat the hamsters right? BAD TAN BAD!!!

And yeah, this did happen last year too XD

I am ok with replacing all hamsters with ferrets via predatory attrition. Ferrets are more fun, are higher in the food chain, and they like to play games.:D

And yes, it has happened the last 3 years, IIRC. The last 2 at least. I actually blame the all week holiday parties that Tacofangs throws in the server rooms at Cryptic. :D

Player and forumite formerly known as FEELTHETHUNDER

Expatriot Might Characters in EXILE
  • Options
    iwontsayiwontsay Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    And the second post after the announcement JUST underlines what I always say.

They post something - players fly into a rage.
    They post nothing - players fly into a rage.

So no wonder they usually simply spare themselves the effort.

Reading here (as in: wading through all that after the OP) makes me wonder if they had it right at another MMO, where they simply locked the entire forum when the servers were down.
  • Options
    crazymike117crazymike117 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This gets trotted out at every problem. Read the EULA, which you agree to by playing. They don't owe you jack. Sad, but true.

They may not owe us jack but we sure as hell can move on and that EULA of theirs wont mean jack when no one plays their game.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,541 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    tancrediiv wrote: »
    ...I actually blame the all week holiday parties that Tacofangs throws in the server rooms at Cryptic. :D

How dare you sully the name and reputation of Forum Overlord Tacofangs! Burn, Heretic! :P
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    They may not owe us jack but we sure as hell can move on and that EULA of theirs wont mean jack when no one plays their game.

Well Said!
  • Options
    ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    djkblue wrote: »

I'm in the Elite: Dangerous camp. I already threw my money at them.
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet