test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Intrepid Class Starship

Comments

• sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You know, my birthday is on Thursday when this comes out, it would make a really cool gift.....

*Cough Cough*

No? Ok then...
    y1arXbh.png

• c3141pwac3141pwa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Please show me on the TV where it was ever stated it was a light Cruiser

The Intrepid class is classified as a light cruiser in the Deep Space Nine Technical Manual which *is* considered canon as it was written by the people who worked on the television shows and used as a guide for writers.

http://s29.postimg.org/4maw3tsxj/cruiser.png

Given that the book was, in part, written by the guy who designed the ship (Rick Sternbach) and that it was used as a reference for writers writing episodes for the shows, I'm inclined to go with that definition and not Cryptic's.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Not gonna lie, that looks good...but no I can't buy the same ship again

My opinion as well.

I think it looks fantastic, but I can't support this rebuying retrofits of retrofits nonsense.

I really do think it looks fantastic though.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Interesting , this Pathfinder visual is certainly a departure from the standard design, but I like it
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    c3141pwa wrote: »
    The Intrepid class is classified as a light cruiser in the Deep Space Nine Technical Manual which *is* considered canon as it was written by the people who worked on the television shows and used as a guide for writers.

Given that the book was, in part, written by the guy who designed the ship (Rick Sternbach) and that it was used as a reference for writers writing episodes for the shows, I'm inclined to go with that definition and not Cryptic's.

Unless it was stated on TV, I don't care
    GwaoHAD.png
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    c3141pwa wrote: »

Books are not canon, no matter who wrote them.
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    you know, I usually never go off-topic in a thread, but now I have a reason:

your crew looks funny, you got that pic in a bigger size? :D
    lol not my crew , thats my fleet mates . a great bunch of wacky guys and girls .
    edited November 2014
    Will this ship be able to use the standard canon skin too, or that of the other intrepids?

Yes you can.
  • pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Just uploaded some great new screenshots of the new Pathfinder class beauty shots via our Twitter feed.

Check out the new design by Thomas the CrypticCat!

@TrekOnlineGame Twitter Page

~CaptainSmirk
    edited November 2014
    adverbero wrote: »
    Interesting , this Pathfinder visual is certainly a departure from the standard design, but I like it

Looks a lot closer then the Intel ships.
  • pherraspherras Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I was literally just about to upgrade my Avenger . Now ill just wait for the tier 6 version.
  • minmacdougalminmacdougal Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I got this feeling in my gut that tells me other ships are bound to get this treatment in the coming future. Will players be compensated with discounts/free (fleet) upgrades?
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    no they're not.

They... kind of are. Probably not intentionally, and almost certainly not maliciously, but they totally are. So far every secondary deflector ship they've put out has been paid or limited-time. Until I fire up the game and a secondary deflector pops up on my Luna... they're selling secondary deflectors.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The Pathfinder looks like how I would imagine Starfleet would design a ship based on found Dauntless schematics, instead of copying it completely
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited November 2014
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    Looks a lot closer then the Intel ships.

True, but the deflector is just Odd

Edit, upon further thought I realised the deflector is based closely on the Dauntless if I'm not mistken, which makes a lot more sense to me now since the blueprints of the dauntless will have opened up new options for deflector design techniques

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Finally a science ship worth having!!.. love it, must have it!! :D
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    adverbero wrote: »
    True, but the deflector is just Odd

Edit, upon further thought I realised the deflector is based closely on the Dauntless if I'm not mistken, which makes a lot more sense to me now since the blueprints of the dauntless will have opened up new options for deflector design techniques

Aside from that, Yeah it ticks all the right boxes

The Bellerophon has that style of deflector as well. In some ways it's nice that they're at least carrying over certain ship component styling; I'd much rather have something like this, which looks odd but somewhat unique to Cryptic designs, rather than the impulse engine designs they've been plastering on ship saucer sections recently.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    So wait, they have designed a new "Pathfinder" skin for this T6 variant and yet they didn't showcase it in the blog that announces the ship?? :confused:
    Excuse me while I go find a nice wall to bang my head against, since facepalms don't cut it anymore.

Cryptic, WTF is wrong with you?!?

Yeah. I'm a bit befuddled, too. I went back to reread the blog to see how that skin fits in. The blog is titled Intrepid Class Starship. When it should have included at least one of the Pathfinder images and been titled Pathfinder Class Starship. It's not too late to rectify that with some edits tomorrow.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If you think the capability of a science vessel is based on how many TAC consoles it has, you need to broaden your knowledge of the game. You have no idea how Science abilities work.

Sorry, even the regular T6 ships with 13 BOFF skills is worth way more than 1 Console slot.

You are forgetting that the Fleet Intrepid (T5 or T5U) has 3 tactical consoles. Why should we get a "downgrade" in tactical consoles for something that should be a better ship?

Oh well ... the devs will probably announce T6 fleet variants of all T6 ships 30 days from now with an added tac console. :rolleyes:

By the way, I am fully aware of how to use science abilities. My science toon is currently my MOST DEADLY toon in PVP matches ... but not in some weak ship that has only 2 tac consoles.

My point is that Delta Rising has increased the demand for sustained weapons DPS ... and that requires tac consoles. If you don't believe me, I welcome you to challenge my science toon in my Tal Shiar Adapted Destroyer with four tac consoles with your science ship that has only 2 tac consoles ... 1v1 in PVP.

PVE or team PVP doesn't require more than 2 tac consoles, but there is NO WAY you will dominate another "good" player (I'm not talking about a newb PVPer) in a PVP match 1v1 with a ship that rocks only 2 tac consoles.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    They... kind of are. Probably not intentionally, and almost certainly not maliciously, but they totally are. So far every secondary deflector ship they've put out has been paid or limited-time. Until I fire up the game and a secondary deflector pops up on my Luna... they're selling secondary deflectors.
    Either they have said it or they have not. There's no "kind of". If you or neoakiraii can't demonstrate by quoting the exact place they've said that, then I have absolutely no reason to believe either of you.
  • vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Enough Adding, Fix What Is Broken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm super disappointed in this, but then I'm not shocked. This is a blatent money grab by Cryptic with no concideration for it's players. In other words buisiness as usual.

I grabbed the Intrepid when it first came out paying money for it, then I went and bought the T5 intrepid when it came out... paying cold hard cash for it (since dilithium didn't exist then).

When the fleet Intrepid came out, I bought that as well.. using zen to buy the needed c-store only item to make it happen.

Then when DR came out, I bought an upgrade token... so that's even more money spent.

And now it's all gone. Now I have to spend money on yet ANOTHER Intrepid just to make it T-6, when I already have a T-5U.

What... seriously... I already spent a TRIBBLE ton of money on the Intrepid class, and now you expect me to spend more money on it with zero regard for the fact that I already upgraded my Intrepid to T-5U.

I want my ship upgrade token back... in zen... or cold hard cash. I want my fleet ship token back... in zen... or cold hard cash.

Or I want my fleet ship upgraded imediately to Fleet T-6 status and not T-5u status and the free console given to me.

As I write this I get angrier and angrier. Seriously this is just expected from Cryptic and Gecko. Zero regard for it's player base and zero regard those of us who remained loyal in the face of this pathetic stuff.

And whose idea was it a console and not a Pathfinder only hanger pet.
    edited November 2014
    amosov78 wrote: »
    The Bellerophon has that style of deflector as well. In some ways it's nice that they're at least carrying over certain ship component styling; I'd much rather have something like this, which looks odd but somewhat unique to Cryptic designs, rather than the impulse engine designs they've been plastering on ship saucer sections recently.

Hmm, I never noticed that before, Then I've never looked at it from that angle, good call though it does definitely share a similar shape

From what I understand this ship is the Artists First ship, so hopefully more great stuff to come

(Edit - correction first Federation ship, My mistake )

• mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You'd think that a blog that is showcasing (at least in part) the Pathfinder would have.. you know, some screenshots of the Pathfinder. :P

http://thomasthecat.tumblr.com/post/102919753440/this-is-the-pathfinder-class-starship-i-designed

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Stop adding to the game and fix what is broken first.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Either they have said it or they have not. There's no "kind of". If you or neoakiraii can't demonstrate by quoting the exact place they've said that, then I have absolutely no reason to believe either of you.

Follow me here.

If the only secondary deflectors we can get are being sold through the C-Store, than at present, they are only selling secondary deflectors through the C-Store.

The question isn't whether or not it's happening - it is - it's whether or not it's their intention to only offer them this way. That's what we have no confirmation or denial of.
  • archer7809archer7809 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Fairly new player here of about two months. Until now, I've not been motivated enough to post here on the forums. It boils down to feeling cheated.

Had you told us that the Intrepid would be offered up as a T6 ship, I wouldn't have purchased the upgrade for the Long Range Science Vessel that I also purchased through the c-store. You are selling/reselling me a ship in which I have already invested $32.

The reason I haven't purchased one of the current T6 ships is the if money is involved, then I should be proud to fly the ship. So, figured it would be prudent to wait until you put out something of which to be proud and this is what you've offered. You're asking me to pay $62 for the same hull with abilities that are underwhelming at best.

As it happens, the Ballaphon(sp?) is also in my shipyard, which would allow access to the set bonuses, but I have zero faith those bonuses will be worth it as they are dependant on the AI of the Aeroshuttle to use them effectively. Your track record with pets does not inspire confidence.

Sure, it has the intel station, but those abilities can be entirely ignored, rendering the station underwhelming. Frankly, would rather see a second non-engineer Commander station than all this new intel stuff that I don't have the hotkeys for anyway.

Bottom line is that you have screwed me out of money needlessly spent and it has soured my whole attitude toward your company and the game.

You can choose to make it right or not, but I will not spend $30, $20, or even $10 on this ship. Doing so would mean allowing myself to be swindled by tactics not that far removed from the Snake Oil salesmen of yesteryear.
  • sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You'd think that a blog that is showcasing (at least in part) the Pathfinder would have.. you know, some screenshots of the Pathfinder. :P

http://thomasthecat.tumblr.com/post/102919753440/this-is-the-pathfinder-class-starship-i-designed

Holy ****, Cryptic, I know you don't (seem) to have a QA team, but you don't even have an Editor to pre-review your press/blog releases?!

It would have been ALOT easier to understand why you are calling the Intrepid a Pathfinder...because IT'S NOT THE SAME!

P.S. It's still subpar for a T6.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    aoax10 wrote: »
    Stop adding to the game and fix what is broken first.
    They're not going to do this because they don't want the game to die.
    Follow me here.

If the only secondary deflectors we can get are being sold through the C-Store, than at present, they are only selling secondary deflectors through the C-Store.
    That doesn't mean that they only want to "sell" us secondary deflector slots. That assumption is absurd.
    The question isn't whether or not it's happening - it is - it's whether or not it's their intention to only offer them this way. That's what we have no confirmation or denial of.
    ...exactly. That's why I called neoakiraii on the assertion. We don't know what their intention is, so it's absurd to assume either way.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Okay, so here's a question.

If I buy the T6 Pathfinder, will the cool pathfinder skin be unlocked for my fleet intrepid upgraded to t5u to use?

Because THAT ship has three tac consoles..... and I really like the pathfinder skin.

Oh, and secondary deflectors, when are we gonna get em? Now that there's two new science ships that have em. Been using the Solanee one, but would like some choices, so that I may work on enhancing a build.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif