test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Upcoming changes to Hangar Pets and Separation pets.

Comments

• Options
    jadenmiajadenmia Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    trek21 wrote: »
    But considering the thousands-only level of health in Hanger Pets, compared to ships, that's dangerous high health for a pet to have - and certainly above anything intended.

So it's not really a nerf, because their usual values will remain intact (even get a little stronger at lvl 60 than at lvl 50); this overscaling will simply be corrected. The fact that the player could kill it easily (his own pet, not an enemy mind you) is irrelevant imo

It is relevant cause it shows his intent for posting is not genuine.

What makes you believe the pets are over scaling, out side of a possible miscalculation in team level matching and STF level matching up-scaling? Because of that other posters picture? Because you don't like seeing a dumb hanger pet with more hull then your ship to compensate for the pets lack of since? Because you heard a dev say "we need to nerf this?" Are you a paid troll receiving a paycheck to propagandize things? Are you a hobbyist troll who simply sees it as an art forum?

When all the facts are considered about the technical abilities of the hanger pets and how things usually go for most players, there simply is no reason to down scale the pets, outside of a bugged level matching up-scaling problem.

You do realize that player is only showing his hull points right? He has his menu open showing his ships base hull in the ship character sheet while targeting himself and with the mouse scroll over showing the difference in how his targeting reticule shows his hull health as 76,677 while his ship stat sheet shows him with 56,730 hull. You do realize that right?

He isn't targeting a hanger pet.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    jadenmia wrote: »
    It is relevant cause it shows his intent for posting is not genuine.

What makes you believe the pets are over scaling, out side of a possible miscalculation in team level matching and STF level matching up-scaling? Because of that other posters picture? Because you don't like seeing a dumb hanger pet with more hull then your ship to compensate for the pets lack of since? Because you heard a dev say "we need to nerf this?" Are you a paid troll receiving a paycheck to propagandize things? Are you a hobbyist troll who simply sees it as an art forum?

When all the facts are considered about the technical abilities of the hanger pets and how things usually go for most players, there simply is no reason to down scale the pets, outside of a bugged level matching up-scaling problem.
    I don't know how you can assume that angle as releveant, or what reason you have for the sudden hostility during a genuine argument, but I don't really agree.

When it comes to pet health scaling, they've been consistent at the levels, being at thousands-level health, with small increases every level. That is a fact. Now suddenly at lvl 60 or similar, they have high ten-thousands of health, which small increases could not (and should not) account for. I call that over-scaling, certainly believe it's not intended, and should be corrected imo, my personal feelings about the high health aside.

And besides, where is your proof that Geko's gonna nerf their usual values in addition to the overscaling issues?
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I don't know how you can assume that angle as releveant, or what reason you have for the sudden hostility during a genuine argument, but I don't really agree.

When it comes to pet health scaling, they've been consistent at the levels, being at thousands-level health, with small increases every level. That is a fact. Now suddenly at lvl 60 or similar, they have high ten-thousands of health, which small increases could not (and should not) account for.

I call that over-scaling, certainly believe it's not intended, and should be corrected imo. And besides, where is your proof that he's gonna nerf their usual values in addition to the overscaling issues?

Well, you got an entire community that is fetup with how weak the pets used to be nearly nothing more then cannon fodder for enemy NPCs too shoot at as a distraction for only a moment. So if that accidental up-scaling made them more useful then cannon fodder for once and not in a game breaking way, then why "FIX" something that by accident fix another problem that existed to begin with? ESPECIALLY when you have bugs that are very clearly game breaking, that have been around for a while and likely have more then enough bug reports to have been replicated over and over and over again to where that bug should have been patched out a long time ago and still isn't.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Well, you got an entire community that is fetup with how weak the pets used to be nearly nothing more then cannon fodder for enemy NPCs too shoot at as a distraction for only a moment. So if that accidental up-scaling made them more useful then cannon fodder for once and not in a game breaking way, then why "FIX" something that by accident fix another problem that existed to begin with? ESPECIALLY when you have bugs that are very clearly game breaking, that have been around for a while and likley have more then enough bug reports to have been replicated over and over and over again to where that bug should have been patched out a long time ago and still isn't.
    Maybe you don't consider 'some Pets out-performing Player ships' as game-breaking, but either way, those values were completely out-of-line with their previous ones. That I call a bug

Them being more useful is a good discussion, and should be pursued, but it should be done with intentional changes - not short-term bugs we can exploit imo. And I kinda liked the high health as much as anyone, but sometimes that's not enough

Plus as far as the other bugs, they've got priorities, limited time, orders, etc etc to deal with in addition to the whole 'need to replicate the bugs themselves to start to know how to tackle them' angle - it's a complicated issue, and certainly more than it appears to us
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I'll just say this for the sake of information, when people on reddit post that their mobulais have 115k hull, do 10 to 15k DPS and have crits between 20 and 30k you know that something is definitely way off with the pets and how they scaled. Now enter the recent level increase in the equation and it's very obvious where this originated from.

And in case you're wondering about my intentions as well, first of all I'm a KDF player so that should tell a lot by itself. :D Secondly you can ask around if I'm a Cryptic fanboy, I've bashed them on multiple ocassions when they've wronged - especially Geko. What I see here is a bug fix. It may not be a popular one for some relevant reasons, but it still is a bug fix.

The effectiveness of the carrier pets should be discussed if carrier captains feel strongly about their prefomance or lack of, but being angry at the devs. about a bugfix because it provided a buff that was unintended is poor form. We've been screaming at them to fix stuff and when they decide to fix something our response shouldn't be being angry at them for that.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Maybe you don't consider 'some Pets out-performing Player ships' as game-breaking, but either way, those values were completely out-of-line with their previous ones. That I call a bug

Them being more useful is a good discussion, and should be pursued, but it should be done with intentional changes - not short-term bugs we can exploit imo. And I kinda liked the high health as much as anyone, but sometimes that's not enough

Plus as far as the other bugs, they've got priorities, limited time, etc etc - we don't control which get fixed and when

Who is being out preformed?
    Why are they being out preformed?
    Did they make a science crowd control build not meant to deal DPS?
    Do they not know about all the querks of there skills to know how to stack the buffs to maximize their DPS?
    Are the people being out preformed because they are mixing energy types and not buffing it up with matching tactical consoles?

If Cryptic is being like the Obama administration, they may very well be using players who DPS is low do to those players lack of understanding about their ship builds. at that point we are being strait up lied to and given a bogus excuse to scale down the hanger pets.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Who is being out preformed?
    Why are they being out preformed?
    Did they make a science crowd control build not meant to deal DPS?
    Do they not know about all the querks of there skills to know how to stack the buffs to maximize their DPS?
    Are the people being out preformed because they are mixing energy types and not buffing it up with matching tactical consoles?

If Cryptic is being like the Obama administration, they may very well be using players who DPS is low do to those players lack of understanding about their ship builds. at that point we are being strait up lied to and given a bogus excuse to scale down the hanger pets.
    I still think you're missing the point; this overscaling is not intended, by any means and should be corrected - the effectiveness of players' builds has little to do with such a core issue imo. And it will be corrected, but the hangers usual effectiveness at lvl 60 will be left the same.

You want them to be more useful, which is great and your right to want so, but this is not the way to go about it (by exploiting bugs, and demanding that a bug which misguidedly does so in your opinion be kept).
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    I'll just say this for the sake of information, when people on reddit post that their mobulais have 115k hull, do 10 to 15k DPS and have crits between 20 and 30k you know that something is definitely way off with the pets and how they scaled. Now enter the recent level increase in the equation and it's very obvious where this originated from.

And in case you're wondering about my intentions as well, first of all I'm a KDF player so that should tell a lot by itself. :D Secondly you can ask around if I'm a Cryptic fanboy, I've bashed them on multiple ocassions when they've wronged - especially Geko. What I see here is a bug fix. It may not be a popular one for some relevant reasons, but it still is a bug fix.

The effectiveness of the carrier pets should be discussed if carrier captains feel strongly about their prefomance or lack of, but being angry at the devs. about a bugfix because it provided a buff that was unintended is poor form. We've been screaming at them to fix stuff and when they decide to fix something our response shouldn't be being angry at them for that.

And how is the Xindi Console set bonus being calculated into that? You do know that those ships and that console set bonus has a powerful AoE effect, that gets multiples by how many ships are in the local area right?

It is very possible that the DPS gained from the Xindi console set AoE is the reason for those higher DPS numbers and not the Mobulai it self. why have we only heard of this happening with the Mobulai?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    It is very possible that the DPS gained from the Xindi console set AoE is the reason for those higher DPS numbers and not the Mobulai it self. why have we only heard of this happening with the Mobulai?

It's not only the mobulai. From what I read on a reddit thread, it's other pets as well. Off the top of my head I remember people mentioning their mesh weavers are vastly overpreforming as well.
    What it seems though, is that the bug doesn't happen to everyone. It still needs a fix though, being a bug and all. I'm one of the lucky ones to not be hit by the tray reset bug. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I still think you're missing the point; this overscaling is not intended, by any means and should be corrected - the effectiveness of players' builds has little to do with such a core issue imo. And it will be corrected, but the hangers usual effectiveness at lvl 60 will be left the same.

You want them to be more useful, which is great and your right to want so, but this is not the way to go about it (by exploiting bugs, and demanding that a bug which misguidedly does so in your opinion be kept).

Even if it is a bug, why prioritize such a small one over other far more game breaking bugs in which a lot of time to identify has passed to have replicated those bugs several times, more then enough time and room for testing to have fixed those larger game breaking bugs that yell kick and scream higher priority?
  • Options
    tankfox23tankfox23 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It may be a bug, but it was nice to have my pets last more than five seconds. It would be have been nicer if they would have announced that they were going to improve pet AI. I can't begrudge folks getting angry over this. Oh well.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    It's not only the mobulai. From what I read on a reddit thread, it's other pets as well. Off the top of my head I remember people mentioning their mesh weavers are vastly overpreforming as well.
    What it seems though, is that the bug doesn't happen to everyone. It still needs a fix though, being a bug and all. I'm one of the lucky ones to not be hit by the tray reset bug. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed.

It sounds far too much like it is specific pet issues and not all hanger pets wide.

The Mobulai can be connected to the Xindi set
    The Mesh weaves connected to the attack pattern beta's stack-able effect.

Even if the up-scaling is an unintentional thing, it seems that it should be simply replaced with a designed up-scaling of pet abilities, WITHOUT using it as an excuse to downscale them then sell epic quality pets that end up being as powerful as the pets are now.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Even if it is a bug, why prioritize such a small one over other far more game breaking bugs in which a lot of time to identify has passed to have replicated those bugs several times, more then enough time and room for testing to have fixed those larger game breaking bugs that yell kick and scream higher priority?
    Because they prioritize what they can fix in the here and now, with the time they have, over those that they have not replicated/have-replicated-but-don't-have-a-fix-for-yet, etc. From experience, this is what I've observed, and it is essentially the reality - what they can fix varies wildly, yes, but even still.
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    It sounds far too much like it is specific pet issues and not all hanger pets wide.

The Mobulai can be connected to the Xindi set
    The Mesh weaves connected to the attack pattern beta's stack-able effect.

Even if the up-scaling is an unintentional thing, it seems that it should be simply replaced with a designed up-scaling of pet abilities, WITHOUT using it as an excuse to downscale them then sell epic quality pets that end up being as powerful as the pets are now.

Like I said, aparently it's happening at random as it does with bugs often.
    Here are 2 replies from another thread, these numbers are obviously broken:
    In my previous posts I was checking the HP numbers in the Sol. Dyson Sphere. Now I'm sitting in the Jenolan Sphere in Delta Quadrant and I see these numbers:

Jem'Hadar Dreadnought: 84,684

Advanced Jem'Hadar Attack Ship: 87,133
    Type 10 Shuttle: 7,311
    Advanced Peregrine Fighter: 7,802
    Elite Obelisk Swarmers: 5,288
    Elite Scorpion Fighters: 7,802
    Elite Tholian Widow Fighters: 7,311

So, yea I see what you mean about the frigate pet health. The fighter health seems low enough though.
    stonewbie wrote: »
    Well since we are sharing numbers and everything...

Level 60 scaled to level 50 (undine space BZ)

T5U Vesta
    36967 hull

Advanced Danubes
    0 stars 21217 hull
    1 star
    2 stars 21557 hull
    3 stars 21727 hull
    4 stars 21896 hull
    5 stars 22066 hull

level 60 and scaled to level 60 (DQ patrol)

T5U Vesta
    52627 hull

Advanced Danubes
    0 stars 52280 hull
    1 star 52698 hull
    2 stars 53116 hull
    3 stars 53534 hull
    4 stars 53953 hull
    5 stars 54371 hull
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Because they prioritize what they can fix in the here and now, with the time they have, over those that they have not replicated/have-replicated-but-don't-have-a-fix-for-yet, etc. From experience, this is what I've observed, and it is essentially the reality - what they can fix varies wildly, yes, but even still.

Well they got too many bugs that should have been able to have gotten fixed for a while now. and it seems those bugs messing with their data enough that a dev said things the wrong way about patrol mission maps being cut off. It seems like they got a build up of neglected bugs they should have fixed, could have fixed, didn't fix when they still can and have the time, that is now coming back to bite them in the butt.
  • Options
    omgbamf00omgbamf00 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well they got too many bugs that should have been able to have gotten fixed for a while now. and it seems those bugs messing with their data enough that a dev said things the wrong way about patrol mission maps being cut off. It seems like they got a build up of neglected bugs they should have fixed, could have fixed, didn't fix when they still can and have the time, that is now coming back to bite them in the butt.

I must interject and say that almost 99% of your posts in this thread are full of assumptions and conjecture. You need to be more objective and less subjective.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    As far as there being a buildup of bugs, you're right on the mark (that buildup has been the reality for some time)

I personally don't mind that stated reality too much, even as I work to call attention to bugs as I come across them - but I realize that's just me.
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    generalklanggeneralklang Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm trying to remember *anyone* demanding carrier pets be nerfed. Your numbers surely show just how few people *use* carriers (compared to say cruisers, sci ships, or escorts)...

I tried a Klingon vo quv...briefly, with the dil store advanced "carrier specific" BOPs...two missions later it was back in the shipyard.

My falcheon uses advanced drones. They do better, but I only get two of them. If they sucked any worse, it wouldn't be worth the time to call them.

While this is a minor problem for a falcheon, many carriers depend heavily on their pets (crappy as they are) and I'd think needing them at this point would be I'll advised. I reiterate: I have *never* heard complaints of carrier pets being overpowered in the time I've been playing. Not once
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    omgbamf00 wrote: »
    I must interject and say that almost 99% of your posts in this thread are full of assumptions and conjecture. You need to be more objective and less subjective.

If I don't be subjective and expose the possible routes of deception, those routes could get far too easily used. This way it cuts those routes off or makes it harder to use them narrowing Cryptic's options to being more strait forward and honest. Or using even worse and far more well designed deceptions.

Letting them off easy and not pressuring them into more strait forward honesty and focus on fixing bugs is partly why these past couple major events have happen.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I'm trying to remember *anyone* demanding carrier pets be nerfed. Your numbers surely show just how few people *use* carriers (compared to say cruisers, sci ships, or escorts)...

I tried a Klingon vo quv...briefly, with the dil store advanced "carrier specific" BOPs...two missions later it was back in the shipyard.

My falcheon uses advanced drones. They do better, but I only get two of them. If they sucked any worse, it wouldn't be worth the time to call them.

While this is a minor problem for a falcheon, many carriers depend heavily on their pets (crappy as they are) and I'd think needing them at this point would be I'll advised. I reiterate: I have *never* heard complaints of carrier pets being overpowered in the time I've been playing. Not once
    Well, that's because even with the stated bug, they're not overpowered; just incredibly over-scaled in the HP/Shield values. Hasn't been happening to everyone, more at random, but still - seen here: http://i.imgur.com/EWK9fzS.png

And it's this unintended overscaling they're dialing back, not their usual values
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    giveroffacialsgiveroffacials Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Nerfing hanger pets because the math seems to show them being too strong without considering the big picture is a big mistake. The peregrine fighters in particular are just trash. The Swarmers are better as are the xindi destroyers BUT in the big picture the bad A.I. the fighters more than makes up for any mathematical excesses.

I'd even go so far as to speculate the excesses are there as a quick fix to balance out the bad A.I., and that removing them could have a very pronounced negative effect on the game.
    Space the final frontier. These are the voyages of [your name here] on a five year mission to gain one level after the delta rising xp nerf.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Well, that's because even with the stated bug, they're not overpowered; just incredibly over-scaled in the HP/Shield values. Hasn't been happening to everyone, more at random, but still - seen here: http://i.imgur.com/EWK9fzS.png

And it's this unintended overscaling they're dialing back, not their usual values

Why do you keep using the picture of someone targeting them self?

That player is not targeting a hanger pet.
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited November 2014

His separated pet has 20k more hull than he does, maybe that's why. :o
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Maybe Geko is confused and means the NPC pets as they tend to have 5x the HP as my ship. :P
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    qjunior wrote: »
    His separated pet has 20k more hull than he does, maybe that's why. :o

Then that is an issue specific to his Advance Escort separator console in which each one of those has a different hull value and they always have. On top of the ability to choose which section of that ship you want, which means the player can choose one of the lesser hull pieces making this picture a non-issue and invalid for reference.
  • Options
    cosmicsunwindcosmicsunwind Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Pets need a buff not even more nerfing! Pets die like flies and barely plink the enemies hull and shields these days. Guess I have even less reason to choose the Vesta over other hangarless science vessels now or ever touch carriers again which move like molasses. But I guess that's the point since they're not trying to market them so much anymore....

Right? pets need a buff everyone knows this. if someones pets were outperforming the players ship then i'm sorry but they must have had white items equipped and been rolling their face across the keyboard because there's no way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Then that is an issue specific to his Advance Escort separator console in which each one of those has a different hull value and they always have. On top of the ability to choose which section of that ship you want, which means the player can choose one of the lesser hull pieces making this picture a non-issue and invalid for reference.
    If it is specific to the Advanced Escort, why is it being seen on other carriers with pets? I'm sure you don't want to admit it, but this looks like a widespread (if somewhat random) bug

No, it isn't, but it is a separation pet (which the thread title also mentions) - this issue is also affecting them, with it having more health than the player's ship.
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    annah wrote: »
    I am thinking the majority of whiners here aren't 60 with their char yet.

My T5-U scimitar has 75,393 hull points and the Elite drone ship i launch has: 87,131 hull points.

That a tiny drone ship has 11,738 hull more than the huge TRIBBLE scimitar that launched it is ok?

Geko also didn't say how much the pets were going to change.

While i love that i don't have to resummon my pets every 20 secs atm, it's not really feasible that my pets are sturdier than i am. If Geko would just reduce the hull points some, and perhaps speed them up slightly so they can avoid hull breaches more, then it would prob be a change for the better not worse.

Edit: and to answe why elachi ships and kazon ships are there. Most likely due to NPCs being just as effected by it as players are.
    i'm lvl 60 and my drones do not have more hull hp then my scim so please for the love of god do not touch them as for the elachi carrier pets i do not remember seeing elachi carriers in any romulan story mission so yeah lol. but BREEN CARRIER!!! FTW!!!!! can't wait.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    If it is specific to the Advanced Escort, why is it being seen on other carriers with pets? I'm sure you don't want to admit it, but this is a widespread bug

No, it isn't, but it is a separation pet (which the thread title also mentions) - this issue is also affecting them, with it having more health than the player's ship.

Even if there is a bug involved, it is of such trivial value that it should not take any where near priority. Each referenced over preforming deviation also has other parts that could easily explain why those specific things are more powerful then expected. But then you also have many other things that seem to be far more OP, that have been known for a long time that never get touched and those get called as bugs and exploits as well. So why all the focus on altering the hanger pets now, especially when they have a history of never being OP to begin with and highly complained about being too weak? Especially with the fact that so little time has passed to even look into it?