What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

post now (500 dilithium)

Comments

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The system has always had a 30 second non-post function to keep people from spamming the forum. My guess is that something is bugged on the forum and that was accidentally reset to 300 seconds. And there is nothing which requires anyone to pay to post.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Didn't I read somewhere that Egypt shut down the internet in an attempt to thwart further unrest during their revolution? That worked great, BTW
  • Options
    bortensbortens Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    “It’s a bold move Cotton, let’s see if it pays off.”
    Didn't I read somewhere that Egypt shut down the internet in an attempt to thwart further unrest during their revolution? That worked great, BTW

yeah turkey did it too this year, with same awesome results. :)

was about protests about a public park getting closed or something, no less. (iirc)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yep, just as I thought. More forum nonsense, timer only :P
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yes, they did (have a friend who experienced that)

But as thecosmic1 said, there's always been a 30 second lockout, even way before this happened. Now it's suddenly 300 seconds; easily could be bugged
    This is a new low cryptic.

-snip-
    Funny how it's instantly assumed to be intentional. As I've said above, there's always been a 30-second lockout, which has suddenly become 300 seconds. Easily something that can get bugged without warning
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited October 2014
    I wonder if this has to do with a vendetta against the forum community... You know, they call us a name, we be mean to them, they be mean back.
  • Options
    potencethe1stpotencethe1st Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This is a new low cryptic.

Yet another method to fragment the community and zero communication. I ain't paying or playing but I do enjoy the forum meltdown in the same way I enjoy a good train wreck: there is this awful terrible thing happening but I just can't pull myself away from watching things crash and burn.

I do applaud your exit strategy for getting rid of the Star Trek liscence and milking the players before shutting it down. It's Mephistophelean in nature and pretty devious but I gotta admit it's pretty clever way to get a lot more money from people before thy realize they've been swindled.
  • Options
    divvydavedivvydave Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    testing :)
  • Options
    rswfiredotcomrswfiredotcom Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Let me guess: "Obviously Bugged!"

Please.
  • Options
    sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    I got charged 10 years to life without parole!!!

(on the penal colony of Rura Penthe)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Let me guess: "Obviously Bugged!"

Please.
    But it does happen; you can't assume everything is intentional. Better to just take it as it comes, and wait to see which it is first before reacting
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    buddha1369buddha1369 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    trek21 wrote: »
    But it does happen; you can't assume everything is intentional. Better to just take it as it comes, and wait to see which it is first before reacting

On these forums? Funniest thing I have read all day.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It ain't a train wreck because no help is coming.

Watching the developers delete their own game is like watching a baby throw its own pacifier out of the baby cart to demonstratively penalize you

Like you give a flying f***
  • Options
    strykewolf67strykewolf67 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I find it rather amusing...asinine but, amusing. Sorta describes most of the posts I read, including my own. :P
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

Sarah Knightly - Co-leader; Frontier Explorers - U.S.S. Witchblade
    Rias Gremory - Leader; Frontier Marauders - I.K.S. B'ullwinkle
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,486 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    But it does happen; you can't assume everything is intentional. Better to just take it as it comes, and wait to see which is is first before reacting

Bingo ^ right here. We simply dont know the full story at this time, best to wait, watch, and see if we get an official answer or explanation. There is always more to things than people realise in this game or forums when something occurs.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    But it does happen; you can't assume everything is intentional. Better to just take it as it comes, and wait to see which is is first before reacting

The likelihood this is a bug is exceedingly low. Just because it used to be 30 and now it's 300 doesn't mean there was a math error or something. This is a value you set in a control panel and hardly ever touch or see. I just don't buy it. If it is a bug, these people are unbelievably incompetent that I'd just change my rage to that instead, ha.
    foxman00 wrote: »
    Bingo ^ right here. We simply dont know the full story at this time, best to wait, watch, and see if we get an official answer or explanation. There is always more to things than people realise in this game or forums when something occurs.

If no one said anything, the "supposed bug" would go unfixed as they wouldn't know about it. If no one said anything, they would say, "Hmm, we actually go little criticism from this stealth change; let's keep it!"
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I lol'd

I like Tovan. You can't change his name, but you can dismiss him, can't you? Each faction has at least one default bridge officer whose name is permanent but they can be dismissed.

I'm actually editing my post repeatedly due to this timegated reply "feature."
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Meh. How many people actually have that much worth saying anyways? Hopefully less "help help I'm being repressed!" more shop-talk.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Its in no way coincidental that the timer jumped to 300 seconds *now*.

An accident...that has never happened before in my memory...happens *now*?

Right. That happened.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Its in no way coincidental that the timer jumped to 300 seconds *now*.

An accident...that has never happened before in my memory...happens *now*?

Right. That happened.
    You realize parts of the ARC website still does not function properly from the issues they had 3 weeks ago. Plus PW is in the process of changing the website to no-longer need to transfer Zen between games. I have seen Cryptic/PW make too many stupid mistakes to assume anything around here is done intentionally. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    The likelihood this is a bug is exceedingly low. Just because it used to be 30 and now it's 300 doesn't mean there was a math error or something. This is a value you set in a control panel and hardly ever touch or see. I just don't buy it. If it is a bug, these people are unbelievably incompetent that I'd just change my rage to that instead, ha.

If no one said anything, the "supposed bug" would go unfixed as they wouldn't know about it. If no one said anything, they would say, "Hmm, we actually go little criticism from this stealth change; let's keep it!"
    Well believe me, website code (including this forum) is a more complex than you might think; even the slightest error or change, even without realizing it, could make something in particular fall apart at the seams.

And fact is, we don't know the reason, and we can't assume one based purely on it happening.

Edit: in answer, then you know how easily something can get bugged, right? They do happen
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited October 2014
    | New sig
    \/
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ..... One post every 5 minutes is insane.. Half that would be tolerable, barely, but 5 minutes? That's ludicrous. I generally browse several sections of the forums and respond to multiple threads about widely-varied subjects in a short order of time but this makes that impossible.
    Well believe me, website code (including this forum) is a more complex than you might think; even the slightest error or change, even without realizing it, could make something in particular fall apart at the seams.

And fact is, we don't know the reason, and we can't assume one based purely on it happening.

Having admin'd several websites and forums running everything from phpbb and IPB to vbulletin (the last of which, this forum uses) I doubt that entirely. This is a control panel config change.

-edit- Granted, it may have been inadvertent, some clueless person poking around in the control panel without knowing what they're doing, and I'd even believe that a config change that was intended for a different PWE forum has also affected the STO forum, but I don't buy for a second that it was a random bug or that it wasn't a deliberate (if clueless) change to the specific setting for posting frequency.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

I've been programming for nearly 30 years. Since GW-BASIC and Pascal.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Meh. How many people actually have that much worth saying anyways? Hopefully less "help help I'm being repressed!" more shop-talk.

It does not distinguish.

You see a few questions you could answer in different threads - cause you're the kind of person that spends the majority of their time actually trying to answer questions, discuss mechanics, and the like. You have to decide which person gets their answer right away and which person isn't going to see an answer for 10 minutes or more...cause who knows, another question might come up in the interim that might be more pressing, eh?

Hell, I'm going to go smoke while I wait to be able to post this reply after having answered a question somebody had about knowing which facing they were attacking...
  • Options
    stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well this is going to be fun to watch...
  • Options
    jack24bau3rjack24bau3r Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    testtttttttttttttttsdse4t
  • Options
    janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Must say haven't seen it myself so it can only have been within the last eight hours. Either which way, I've said everything I think I can say so doubt I'll say much outside of clarifying anything now.

But if there's DilGate happening, then that's just another Cryptic Cash Grab. Making money out of your own customers' rage? That's a Scrooge Move worthy of RyanAir, congratulations.
  • Options
    bortensbortens Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    10 ecs say this is preparation for dangelows third post.
    lets see who gets punished this time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,865 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    betayuya wrote: »
    looks like a crackdown ladies and gentlemen, brace for impact!

Its targetted to F2P...have not seen it to LTS subs. Still its due to flaming topics :P
    DUwNP.gif

This discussion has been closed.