Install Arc
Options

DEVs nerfbat hit Tau Dewa

Comments

• Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    At some point in time, someone at Cryptic is going to appreciate the irony of starting a Dilithium Bonus weekend by applying a patch that takes Dilithium rewards away. :P

Well the Dilithium was only awarded once you hit "level 110" which means you needed to hit 60 then go up another 50 "levels" before you actually got it.

If people were actually exploiting that, then how fast were they freaking leveling?
  • Options
    alexrichardsalexrichards Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    catjarrett wrote: »
    For next week's patch:

- All PVEs and patrol missions will have a 20 hour cooldown so people will stop grinding them
    - All DOFF assignments will no longer reward XP or Dilithium. Ever.

If that doesn't work:

- All systems are being shut down except for Delta Quadrant and Earth Space Dock. If you're KDF or Rom, TFB

NOW GET TO PLAYING THAT DELTA AND SPENDING REAL MONEY ON SHIPS AND DILITHIUM ALREADY.

Thank you for your patience and continued patronage,
    PWE and Arc Games

Shh, don't give them any ideas :O
    Admiral Alex 'Grumpy Cat' Richards
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What you looking @ Admiral?"
  • Options
    adorenkoadorenko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Just wait till tomorrow, when they finally realize that Dino-Tagging + Dil. Weekend is actually an Exploit ... and shut down the whole BZ :P

Shut up, they're gonna take that away next. JK
    Looking for more info on Dilithium Rising? Click on the link below:

[SIGPIC]Click here to visit my STO YouTube channel[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If they are themselves scaled down in level too, alongside the NPC's, where is the exploit? If the system has me fight at lv 10, you bet I'd want lv 10 NPC's too! I only see an exploit if they could continue to play at their 50+ level vs. severely leveled-down NPC's.

Yes, because of course your boff abilities, weapons, captain abilities, and all the other goodies acquired from leveling up all drop down to the amount you had at level 10. :rolleyes:

Yes you still out match lower level NPCs.

What did you think the side kick system wasn't borked and level 10s are still not very useful at level 50.

I would have though level 10s getting screwed over by level 60 Starbase alerts made that very clear.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    Well the Dilithium was only awarded once you hit "level 110" which means you needed to hit 60 then go up another 50 "levels" before you actually got it.

If people were actually exploiting that, then how fast were they freaking leveling?

Far faster than I ever could. :) I have about half of my Specialization tree filled, so am nowhere near the point where I was to get Dilithium.

Still, I don't get why the Dilithium reward had to be removed. If they fixed the (alleged) exploit, then why remove the Dilithium rewards now?! Unless, what the cynic in me suspects, getting Dilithium in the first place WAS considered the exploit.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Unless there was an exploit with the refining cap, I don't see what the problem was.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    sinn74 wrote: »
    Unless there was an exploit with the refining cap, I don't see what the problem was.

this ^^^^^^^^^^^ but out of all this i got the message loud n clear play the game PWE way or dont play at all
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Far faster than I ever could. :) I have about half of my Specialization tree filled, so am nowhere near the point where I was to get Dilithium.

Still, I don't get why the Dilithium reward had to be removed. If they fixed the (alleged) exploit, then why remove the Dilithium rewards now?! Unless, what the cynic in me suspects, getting Dilithium in the first place WAS considered the exploit.

No, getting Dilithium by constantly running a 5 man elite Tau Dewa patrol was the 'exploit'. A good team could probably ding and get Dilithium every 2 runs with each run taking no more than 5-10 minutes...

You begin to see Cryptic's problem. They introduced a reward but left in place a system easily used to farm Dilithium because of it. Finally realizing their mistake, they close the loophole, label it an exploit and remove the present they gave us.

Short sightedness killed the good thing, as usual player base gets the blame for Cryptic's not seeing the potential for abuse of the system...

All the 'exploiters' (though they only get called this because cryptic made a mistake) did was use a system Cryptic had in place, until Cryptic declared it an exploit (and locked down Tau Dewa) it was all good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    A good team could probably ding and get Dilithium every 2 runs with each run taking no more than 5-10 minutes...

You make it sound like that's supposed to be something special, which can't be done without powerleveling Tau Dewa ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    You make it sound like that's supposed to be something special, which can't be done without powerleveling Tau Dewa ...

It was the fastest route essentially. More exp than the elite stf's in a shorter amount of time. (Mainly due to various coding errors etc on Cryptic's end.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Unless they were giving REFINED Dilithium i really dont see the problem, there is still the god dam 8k refinement cap which im pretty sure everyone in STO has hit and then some most days they are on.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    grtiggy wrote: »
    Unless they were giving REFINED Dilithium i really dont see the problem, there is still the god dam 8k refinement cap which im pretty sure everyone in STO has hit and then some most days they are on.

PWE dont want you to hit that cap why with every major release nerf stuff that give it out
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    No, getting Dilithium by constantly running a 5 man elite Tau Dewa patrol was the 'exploit'. A good team could probably ding and get Dilithium every 2 runs with each run taking no more than 5-10 minutes...

You begin to see Cryptic's problem. They introduced a reward but left in place a system easily used to farm Dilithium because of it. Finally realizing their mistake, they close the loophole, label it an exploit and remove the present they gave us.

Short sightedness killed the good thing, as usual player base gets the blame for Cryptic's not seeing the potential for abuse of the system...

All the 'exploiters' (though they only get called this because cryptic made a mistake) did was use a system Cryptic had in place, until Cryptic declared it an exploit (and locked down Tau Dewa) it was all good.

So, essentially, being proficient is now considered an exploit!? I mean, there are many ways, in-game, to farm Dilithium (granted, those opportunities are rapidly dwindling). Before DR, ppl primarily just solo-ed things. But after DR, and its outrageous Dilithium requirements, ppl got organized, and decided to cooperate, so they could farm more efficiently. And this is now 'verboten'!? How petty! And how contrary to the very nature and spirit of an MMO, even.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    catjarrettcatjarrett Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So, essentially, being proficient is now considered an exploit!? I mean, there are many ways, in-game, to farm Dilithium (granted, those opportunities are rapidly dwindling). Before DR, ppl primarily just solo-ed things. But after DR, and its outrageous Dilithium requirements, ppl got organized, and decided to cooperate, so they could farm more efficiently. And this is now 'verboten'!? How petty! And how contrary to the very nature and spirit of an MMO, even.

Reality is irrelevant when the profit margin is threatened.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    But after DR, and its outrageous Dilithium requirements, ppl got organized, and decided to cooperate, so they could farm more efficiently. And this is now 'verboten'!? How petty! And how contrary to the very nature and spirit of an MMO, even.

Unfortunately because it had the potential to hurt the bottom line, that's exactly what it is :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    strykewolf67strykewolf67 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tuskin67 wrote: »

There were folks who hit 60th 4 hours after launch. They even started threads about how fast they did it here on the forums.
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

Sarah Knightly - Co-leader; Frontier Explorers - U.S.S. Witchblade
    Rias Gremory - Leader; Frontier Marauders - I.K.S. B'ullwinkle
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Aka just like the one click foundry missions caused them to remove the officer reports mission. Then they added dilithium to actual foundry missions, and then brought it back and made you have to run actually foundry missions to get it.

So you'll excuse me if I'm not going to shout doom and gloom since they can alwasy bring it back after they exploit proof it.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Three runs (might have been 4), my ship was mastered.
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

• Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited October 2014

So on the one hand, you talk about "the potential for abuse of the system, and on the other hand, you deny that such abuse is exploiting? :eek:

Edit:
    I'm not saying everyone who did it did so with malice aforethought; obviously at least one player found it quite by accident, while doing exactly what most of the playerbase was doing (power-levelling in Japori). Others may not have been so innocent. Intention is an important consideration, but blaming it all on the Devs is a bit rich, don't you think?
  • Options
    kara445kara445 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I see most of player here miss the big picture of cryptic,

Since a long time now they cut more and more all the in-game income, as I remember (and maybe not in the good order) :

They put a lot limitation
    They decrease the value of the trash at the vendor
    They delete many part of the game ( exploration, galaxi tour ...)
    Now they cut by half the sft reward ( it was the main income for many player) and increase the time for finish it
    They increase the HP of all the npc and seriously they are clever enough for know that just increase the HP don't make it more difficult but make just longer to kill.

All of that is a plan from cryptic for make the grind longer, the player income lower, that create more impatient player so more money for cryptic. And of course they let the possibilities of grind all of that so when you come complain you have some player come and say you are stupid you can do it without pay ....

so all what happen is for make you more and more impatient, discourage and start to pay.

Look what happen since the last patch note arrive, every bodies is so focus on what happen in Tau dewa than nobodies talk any more about the nerf of the stf reward. That the cryptic way.

And by the way i have a question, what about the exploration in game ? some weeks ago many player clain cryptic delete it from the game because they plan to make it back and better in this extention, but everyone forget about it again, cryptic way.

So is time to take the power in thing game to fight all together or we will fall in a phone game model for STO.
  • Options
    lordkhoraklordkhorak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    *LMAO*

Pathetic. Oh not Cryptic, you guys.

And this is why. Yes, Cryptic introduced a reward. Cryptic, not being completely omniscient, failed to account for players deciding to completely undermine that reward by running an exploit.

Oh but of course, it's somehow not an exploit because it's in the game, putting aside all logic and the actual applicable definitions of the word exploit of course. That being "make use of (a situation) in a way considered unfair or underhand". It's all big, bad, evil Cryptic's fault for not being all-seeing Gods.

Your post is completely correct, right here:

"You begin to see Cryptic's problem. They introduced a reward but left in place a system easily used to farm Dilithium because of it. Finally realizing their mistake, they close the loophole, label it an exploit and remove the present they gave us.

Short sightedness killed the good thing...."

Right there, that is all completely correct. They introduced a reward, but because they're not currently employing Odin's ravens to whisper in their ear (he gives a great health plan), left in place a system easily used to farm dilithium because of it. They realised their mistake, labelled it an exploit, because it is, and removed the reward because it was being exploited.

Short sightedness most certainly killed a good thing, but the true petty patheticness of it is trying to pretend the players aren't to blame, that the shortsightedness isn't theirs because Cryptic didn't manage to stop every avenue of abusively exploiting it BEFORE players could abusively exploit it! *LMAO* Cryptic have to out-crowdthink a couple hundred thousand people and if they don't, it's THEIR FAULT.

This is hilarious. This is literally the argument that you are in no way responsible for your own behaviour. It is entirely the fault of someone else that they did not stop you from finding a loophole in the rules and using it to break the rules, before you found it and abused it. Find that completely legal minutiae that lets you murder a guy, and you're not to blame for using it to murder a guy.

I'm off to tell my mother she's the worst person in the world, because of all those times she didn't manage to think of every way I could be naughty when I was young, and prevent me doing it before I could do it. It's her fault. She's responsible for me being naughty.

Bathe me in flames, call me a Cryptic fanboy. Go on, you know you want to. It's standard procedure. Anything so you can be the victim instead of the offender. Anything so it's not your fault that when Cryptic smiled and gave us a cookie with a happy heart, you booted them in the shin and ran off with the packet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    royrogersxroyrogersx Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Exactly how much dil was given as a reward for leveling after specialization cap?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    And the vast majority, lordkhorak, were simply exping up so they could run the storyline in one, semi-coherent run. They were not looking to exploit anything. Patrols on elite have always been good exp...always.

• Options
    catjarrettcatjarrett Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Odin's Ravens? lolwut?

They are a gaming company. They should know their demographic at least.

Oh gee, a dil reward for this.

Guess what, gamers are going to find a way to hit "this" as much as they can.

You don't need a freaking crystal ball to know how gamers play. The fact that they didn't see this is, in fact, a fail on their part, not the community for doing what they do. This is basic gaming. The entire game is built around grinding, this community KNOWS how to grind, and knows how to find the best way to grind effectively.

If they had a working testing system in place, they would have caught it.

Sorry, this is on them.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    catjarrett wrote: »
    Odin's Ravens? lolwut?

They are a gaming company. They should know their demographic at least.

Oh gee, a dil reward for this.

Guess what, gamers are going to find a way to hit "this" as much as they can.

You don't need a freaking crystal ball to know how gamers play. The fact that they didn't see this is, in fact, a fail on their part, not the community for doing what they do. This is basic gaming. The entire game is built around grinding, this community KNOWS how to grind, and knows how to find the best way to grind effectively.

If they had a working testing system in place, they would have caught it.

Sorry, this is on them.

Heh, they really need to hire some of us 'old farts' that have been gaming for 20+ years, online.

"We have this idea."

'Yeah, was done with game X, this was what happened."

:P

• Options
    royrogersxroyrogersx Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lordkhorak wrote: »
    *LMAO*

Short sightedness most certainly killed a good thing, but the true petty patheticness of it is trying to pretend the players aren't to blame, that the shortsightedness isn't theirs because Cryptic didn't manage to stop every avenue of abusively exploiting it BEFORE players could abusively exploit it! *LMAO* Cryptic have to out-crowdthink a couple hundred thousand people and if they don't, it's THEIR FAULT.

[snipped wall of rant]

From what folks on tribble were saying, this was known and reported well before DR dropped. Tribble not only whispered in their ear, they told them flat out it would be a problem. So yea, Cryptic knew of the problem beforehand, knew players were aware of the potential for making mass amounts of unrefined dil and they chose to let it go forward. Only after they see the metrics do they call everyone doing it an exploiter and shut it down.

Still curious to know just how big the dil reward was. One post I saw referenced the reward being equal to the xp earned, i.e. 54k. That can just not be true.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    royrogersx wrote: »
    Still curious to know just how big the dil reward was. One post I saw referenced the reward being equal to the xp earned, i.e. 54k. That can just not be true.

The reward was 2880 dil. Not the massive 54k you heard.
  • Options
    gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    i think on tribble it was 480 or 540
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    *LMAO*

And this is why. Yes, Cryptic introduced a reward. Cryptic, not being completely omniscient, failed to account for players deciding to completely undermine that reward by running an exploit.

Oh but of course, it's somehow not an exploit because it's in the game, putting aside all logic and the actual applicable definitions of the word exploit of course. That being "make use of (a situation) in a way considered unfair or underhand". It's all big, bad, evil Cryptic's fault for not being all-seeing Gods.

Your post is completely correct, right here:

"You begin to see Cryptic's problem. They introduced a reward but left in place a system easily used to farm Dilithium because of it. Finally realizing their mistake, they close the loophole, label it an exploit and remove the present they gave us.

Short sightedness killed the good thing...."

Right there, that is all completely correct. They introduced a reward, but because they're not currently employing Odin's ravens to whisper in their ear (he gives a great health plan), left in place a system easily used to farm dilithium because of it. They realised their mistake, labelled it an exploit, because it is, and removed the reward because it was being exploited.

This is hilarious. This is literally the argument that you are in no way responsible for your own behaviour. It is entirely the fault of someone else that they did not stop you from finding a loophole in the rules and using it to break the rules, before you found it and abused it. Find that completely legal minutiae that lets you murder a guy, and you're not to blame for using it to murder a guy.

I'm off to tell my mother she's the worst person in the world, because of all those times she didn't manage to think of every way I could be naughty when I was young, and prevent me doing it before I could do it. It's her fault. She's responsible for me being naughty.

Bathe me in flames, call me a Cryptic fanboy. Go on, you know you want to. It's standard procedure. Anything so you can be the victim instead of the offender. Anything so it's not your fault that when Cryptic smiled and gave us a cookie with a happy heart, you booted them in the shin and ran off with the packet.

Struggling so hard not to insult you like you insulted the player base right there. It only became an exploit when Cryptic looked at their data and realized there was a very odd and probably quite large amount of Dilithium being generated by the system.

This was being used by a certain area of the player base using a pre-existing system to get their specializations because Cryptic made the DR patrols so damned boring! Add to that, Cryptic have admitted they made a mistake with DR regarding Tau Dewa because the npc's weren't scaling properly and giving out too much exp for the very little effort required.

This is nothing but Cryptic's fault ESPECIALLY when you consider THEY WERE TOLD by those who tested that the system was clearly open to a possible exploit... If it wasn't Tau Dewa, it was the mission in Cardassian space with the infinitely spawning npc's as long as you didn't progress the mission.

Bottom line: Their game, their TRIBBLE up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    (sorry to chop it all out, but just too much there)

Anyway...peraonally I'll neither bathe you in flames, nor call you a fanboy. I will however point out that since this problem (apparently), among many others were noted and ignored during DR's time on tribble. This does in fact make it entirely cryptic's fault for once again ignoring the people who are testing their content, game, code, whatever you wish to call it. Whatever you do choose to call it, it most certainly was not short sightedness that caused this, it was stupidity.

Was I leveling with friends in Tau Dewa? Yep, I sure was, but for the purpose of running the new story line without having to hit a level gap. Hell we didn't even know about the dil thing until mid-day yesterday. And even yesterday while Tau Dewa was shut down, we continued to level elsewhere.