What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

ExtraLife Gaming Charity for Children's Hospital

Comments

• Options
    kemchakemcha Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I thought about donating until Cryptic decided to NOT fix the launcher crash problem. Why should we support this effort if we cannot play the game?
    possibilities are a thing of hope, sometimes it drives us toward something better
  • Options
    suuperduudesuuperduude Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    kemcha wrote: »
    I thought about donating until Cryptic decided to NOT fix the launcher crash problem. Why should we support this effort if we cannot play the game?

So you feel warm and squishy inside? Why punish the charity for Cryptic's wrongs?
    --
    Lion Heart of Hammer Squadron
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    kemcha wrote: »

This is not Cryptic's charity. It is the same as if Cryptic were sponsoring an event for the Susan G. Komen Foundation, or St. Jude. Please read the link I posted about who Extra Life is and keep the game criticism where the game criticism belongs. I really, really don't think it's here. :-/

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    To everyone who donated last week and did not put your @handle info in, no worries, we will be contacting anyone who was missing that info so we can still make sure to get your items to you.

This will all be done the week after the charity drive ends.

Thanks everyone!

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It says it right in the blog he linked to.

We have three new exclussive in-game titles that will be unlocked for all who donate once we have reached our goal!

50% = ExtraLife Redshirt
    75% = ExtraLife Captain
    100% = ExtraLife Q-mander

If you re-read closely, that is for people who donate, not for everyone else who doesn't donate. So no, rewards for everyone when certain levels are reached are not itemized.
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    If you re-read closely, that is for people who donate, not for everyone else who doesn't donate. So no, rewards for everyone when certain levels are reached are not itemized.

And if you re-read closely, you'll see that this is exactly what Smirk was talking about. There are no rewards for 'everyone'. The rewards are only for people who donate to the charity, they are a thank you for donating, why would they give rewards to people who didn't donate? :P

We have rewards for generous donors starting at $1 and ranging all the way up to $1337, including our Goal Percentage rewards that everyone who donates will get, and the first two are already unlocked!
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Have a Happy Halloween everyone, and for those who can join us tomorrow, we look forward to bringing you some STO fun runs, a slew of prizes and gear, and our updated donation status for this fantastic charitable cause!

Take care and see you tomorrow!

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    We are at 22k and climbing! Right now we have our Forsaken World livestream going on with Domino from our BLR team, and Trendy in chat command.

Join us in just 2 hours for our STO Lvevstream for ExtraLife!

We have a boat load of prizes to give out, and will be streaming today from 12-2 PM PDT and 5-9 PM PDT, so you have plenty of chances to win!

Don't forget to check out our donations page on the ExtraLife Charity Website and make your tax deductible donation today to help kids in need, and help support the Children's Miracle Hospital network that does so much for families across the world.

We will update the thread with more news as we get closer to our broadcasts!

Thanks again everyone!

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,529 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm a bit surprised there isn't something like a Lifetime sub, LoR Pack, and DR pack all for the donation of $1701. :D A great cause and things are off to a great start! :)
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    avertyoureyessavertyoureyess Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Heya Captain Smirk,

I was chatting with some of my fleet members who donated into the ExtraLife Gaming Charity. We all kinda came up with an idea i wanted to throw out there to you and the Cryptic crew.

How bout getting a fleet project involved?

What i mean is.... we have fleet vanity projects that require upwards of 200k in dilithium. This dilithium can be converted to zen and equates to some monetary gain for PWE. What if you opened a fleet vanity project that when completed PWE would match that monetary amount in a donation on the back end? This way even the people who cant contribute real world currency can contribute in their own way.

Complete the project the fleet gets an Extra Life Charity logo like ornament (like the holiday one) and PWE makes a donation of X to Extra Life?

Everyone wins.
    The kids get the help they need.
    The players get a fuzzy warm feeling and an ornament
    The Devs get picked on for 20 seconds less that day.
    Cryptic and PWE get "cheeks in seats" and a tax write off

Thanks for listening. Cheers.
  • Options
    strobbinstrobbin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Complete the project the fleet gets an Extra Life Charity logo like ornament (like the holiday one) and PWE makes a donation of X to Extra Life?

/QUOTE]

Count me in!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    That's a great suggestion! We can recomend that for the next big charity drive we do. Our team would have to invent a tool/process to be able to do that, but it would be agreat ool to have! :)
    Heya Captain Smirk,

I was chatting with some of my fleet members who donated into the ExtraLife Gaming Charity. We all kinda came up with an idea i wanted to throw out there to you and the Cryptic crew.

What i mean is.... we have fleet vanity projects that require upwards of 200k in dilithium. This dilithium can be converted to zen and equates to some monetary gain for PWE. What if you opened a fleet vanity project that when completed PWE would match that monetary amount in a donation on the back end? This way even the people who cant contribute real world currency can contribute in their own way.

Everyone wins.

• Options
    bluehamster68bluehamster68 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It's reassuring to know that STO is prepared to do something like this for a good cause.
    Here in the UK,we have the "great ormond street hospital" which does something remarkably similar.
    I probably speak for the majority of my fellow British STO players when I say that if STO did a similar event in aid of great ormond street, I would be very inclined to be generous.
    Yes,that IS a hint lol!
    "I'm convinced there's intelligent life in the universe-it's simply too intelligent to come to earth"-Arthur C. Clarke
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    It's reassuring to know that STO is prepared to do something like this for a good cause.
    Here in the UK,we have the "great ormond street hospital" which does something remarkably similar.
    I probably speak for the majority of my fellow British STO players when I say that if STO did a similar event in aid of great ormond street, I would be very inclined to be generous.
    Yes,that IS a hint lol!

Thanks for letting us know about that Hospital! We can get in touch with our EU team and let them know that there is a closer hospital group that they can highlight for future lviestreams, and we can team up to help them raise some funds too :)

Great suggestion as we are always lookign for groups around the world to work with.

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for letting us know about that Hospital! We can get in touch with our EU team and let them know that there is a closer hospital group that they can highlight for future lviestreams, and we can team up to help them raise some funds too :)

Great suggestion as we are always lookign for groups around the world to work with.

~CaptainSmirk

May I suggest Doctors Without Borders?

We've got the ULTIMATE doctors without borders in STO; my sci has used medical tricorders freaking everywhere...:D

Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch are also big ones...you could do it as part of a special event with a FE where you save people in-game from captivity, and you could base the donation amount around the number of playthroughs of the mission in a week or something. That would be fun, and it could get even the players without free cash in on the action.
  • Options
    dixiemonroedixiemonroe Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Heya Captain Smirk,

Everyone wins.

That is a GREAT IDEA!! Everyone is involved, we all get to help and hell we all grind like a mad monkey so heck yeah with this kinda effort we can move mountains just to see a child smile.

Rack'em up Im in!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    We are at 25K and climbing folks!

Join us on TwitchTV for our 4 hour Livestream with Talaxians, Delta Quadrant missions, a look inside the Delta Expedition Lockbox and more!

Plus we have more STO collectibles and posters, as well as gaming gear from Logitech and Alienware to give out!

See you soon!
    ~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Another idea for a future charity drive: The Tourette Syndrome Association. As a TS sufferer myself, I can personally attest that this neurological disorder is no laughing matter. Plus it's often comorbid with ADHD and OCD, among other unfun conditions.

I could coordinate an in-game event or something, if you like. Maybe get a few thousand people together in a war against an OP dev-piloted NPC ship...
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Another idea for a future charity drive: The Tourette Syndrome Association. As a TS sufferer myself, I can personally attest that this neurological disorder is no laughing matter. Plus it's often comorbid with ADHD and OCD, among other unfun conditions.

I could coordinate an in-game event or something, if you like. Maybe get a few thousand people together in a war against an OP dev-piloted NPC ship...

i support that idea for the next drive.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Congrats everyone! We raised $27K!

Thanks again to all who contributed!

We will be in touch next week to give our rewards and stream prizes :)

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Congrats everyone! We raised $27K!

Thanks again to all who contributed!

We will be in touch next week to give our rewards and stream prizes :)

~CaptainSmirk

Woot, go team!

I had a fun 8-10 hours watching the live stream haha.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Woot, go team!

I had a fun 8-10 hours watching the live stream haha.

Indeed, for a person like me who for whatever reason can't stand loud parties, that was a really awesome evening.

Plus, Smirk reads my stories! :o I am so happy!
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The streams were well-done and helped me get through hours of terrible organic chemistry homework.

I finally won something for once too XD.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Indeed, for a person like me who for whatever reason can't stand loud parties, that was a really awesome evening.

Plus, Smirk reads my stories! :o I am so happy!

Yeah I know exactly what you mean, loud parties are not fun for me either for several reasons.

Haha, I thought you were going to explode at one point when people started slating SG. :P
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    The streams were well-done and helped me get through hours of terrible organic chemistry homework.

I finally won something for once too XD.

Congrats. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Yeah I know exactly what you mean, loud parties are not fun for me either for several reasons.
    While I like the fact that my college is so liberal that our fraternity was holding a TRIBBLE pride party for Halloween, I do not appreciate their loud heavy metal "music" and bass woofers at all hours of the night.

You win some, you lose some, I guess.
    Haha, I thought you were going to explode at one point when people started slating SG. :P

Actually, that bit was an act; I like SG a lot, but I'm not an absurd fanatic about it.

It certainly gave everybody a chuckle, though, so that was good.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    when can I finally see your Halloween costume :D
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    when can I finally see your Halloween costume :D

I didn't have one this year. :( I was going to be Kahless the Unforgettable, but I didn't have time to genetically modify myself into a Klingon, or to grow dreads, dip one of them in lava, and use the result to forge a bat'leth. :D
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I didn't have one this year. :( I was going to be Kahless the Unforgettable, but I didn't have time to genetically modify myself into a Klingon, or to grow dreads, dip one of them in lava, and use the result to forge a bat'leth. :D

well, it could have never worked altering you into a Klingon if you already look like a Gorn. :D

no dear mods, this was not insulting, that was love :o
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    well, it could have never worked altering you into a Klingon if you already look like a Gorn. :D

no dear mods, this was not insulting, that was love :o

Oh, sweetie, you always make me blush!

:D

To be fair, I probably would've watched the stream anyway--and it was well worth it, I won some stuff and got Smirk and Trendy to laugh and learned that Smirk reads my stories, so I had a great time. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Oh, sweetie, you always make me blush!

:D

To be fair, I probably would've watched the stream anyway--and it was well worth it, I won some stuff and got Smirk and Trendy to laugh and learned that Smirk reads my stories, so I had a great time. :)

I hope you guys didnt talk behind my back. I cant watch the whole show thanks to my i-speed.

what did you win? by the way, Smirk mentioned me twice in a show a few month ago and I finally confessed my love for trendy live :D