test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Difficulty Feedback (was "Terrible Elite Mode")

Comments

• Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    they can keep the stfs like they are but without the optional.

optional failed = you loose and kicked from the stfs, not very friendly :P

i have finished viscous cycle elite, wow this is crazy, this stf was already hard, but now vila battleships are very very very very strong, same thing for the dromias.

i think that the new advanced elite are not for ships with MK XII or MK XIII gears
  • Options
    darkdog13darkdog13 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    In my view, the best option going forward is not to nerf the difficulty but to raise the rewards across the difficulty levels.

Running normal should get you all you need to finish a rep and get rep gear.

Advanced and elite versions need to be a challenge and, for a while now, they simply haven't been.

Something to aspire to in both terms of gear and team work is a very good thing.

However, making it next to impossible for the less, shall we say, aggressive player to get the fun gear is a serious mistake.

Imo normals should be like the old elite stf quite easy to do as a pug and gets you the marks and other items need to grind rep and purchase rep items. As it is now you will spend a ton of time getting the marks to level your rep up but you never get the implants to buy the gear.

Advanced should be harder but give more marks and implants and should be able to be completed by a well geared or coordinated group.

Elite should be for the epeen club give them some extra marks and a pony.

Also undo the dilithium nerf as it stands you now have to 17 advanced stfs to reach your daily cap meaning even if you did them in 10 minutes it would be 3 hours of straight stf everyday.
  • Options
    mandarsmashmandarsmash Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm totally fine with the difficulty. Endgame queues deserve to be a real challenge.

The problem is the rewards. They're not worth the hassle, as there are better ways to earn right now.

Up the rewards to match the difficulty of the content properly and we're good.
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    These STFs are harder to get through than the entire canon of Tek War.
  • Options
    oridjerraaoridjerraa Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Progression is now pay only, even for those who pay like me(I'm Gold). Cryptic dose not want players getting very rare mats or dil, they want you to buy them. I won't bother pugging anything anymore because it is no longer worth wild. Normal awards a Christmas stocking full of rocks and Advanced in a good fleet group is no longer FUN.

May as well scrap the quick join option on the pve panel, its dead Jim!

PS

I want to level up MY choice of starship, the CROOK that deemed only T6 ships can level masteries is burning bridges.

Brody
  • Options
    rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Advanced is not just a little harder than what was called elite yesterday. Not only that, fleet alerts are failure after failure. My well geared out Mat'Ha took 3 passes to kill a Bird of Prey!

On the other hand, I have not been killed tonight. I just feel like I am trying to kill a dreadnought with a full aux, quarter weapons power Nebula without any offensive science powers.

I hear the same complaint from player after player. Good competent players. Is there any ship that is not gimp today?
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What some people are forgetting is it's supposed to be tough at level 60 and elite is supposed to be very challenging for level 60, so obviously a T5 or T5-U level 50 player is going to take longer on advanced stfs, as you level up they will get easier. Currently the kiddie mode is TRIBBLE easy, so stick to that for a while if you're struggling.

Personally I'm lovin the challenge and thanking Cryptic for listening to us finally, I just hope those that can't build ships or play the game to an adequate level don't get it dumbed down again.

I do agree the slashing of the dil reward was just mean.

This thread is not about ELITE play.
    It's about ADVANCED.

So I hope you've got lots of money, because if things don't get somewhat nerffed for Advanced play, your going to be one of the very few, still playing the game.

They should have left Advanced alone and just made the ELITE queues far harder for folks like you.

Then everybody would be happy.

Making this drastic a change in the game over all, at this late stage of it's history, is exactly what SWG did with the NGE..., and we know what that led too.

<shrug>

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    agentsorchusagentsorchus Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Twitch highlight from earlier today.

Not too bad, far closer to what it was like in season 6. Someone with Gravity well is almost certainly going to be necessary though, and it won't be a turkey shoot like it has been the last 3 seasons.

And yeah on a good day this character gets around 5k dps.
  • Options
    tcostiktcostik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well, they've certainly increased the difficulty level of "Elite" (now Advanced).

Was this intentional, or did they accidently transfer the actual "Elite" settings into "Advanced".

Knowing Cryptic, I wonder....

Considering they told us that advanced would be similar in difficulty to the old elites, I'm hoping its a bug. 10x HP is no where near similar.
  • Options
    jihashimojihashimo Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Has no one been paying attention for the last couple of months?

I take it your the one that hasn't been paying attention in the past few months. I have, of course. What I can tell you is that I agree with the OP in that advanced is just way to difficult for what it's supposed to be. Cryptic told us that advanced will be more like the old elite, and the new elite will be even tougher. They said nothing about beefing up the advanced STFs to the point where they are all but impossible to beat. Frustrateingly difficult seems to be what they are striveing for. That, or just brainlessly careless on the dev's part.
  • Options
    azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    My well geared out Mat'Ha took 3 passes to kill a Bird of Prey!

On the other hand, I have not been killed tonight.

Right.

It seems like Cryptic has decided to make enemies super tanks. They aren't packing any more punch against our upgraded (to at least lvl 60) status, so we're not dying... but neither are they. It's just a big dumb painful 'beating a dead horse' scenario.
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tcostik wrote: »
    Considering they told us that advanced would be similar in difficulty to the old elites, I'm hoping its a bug. 10x HP is no where near similar.

"In the new Advanced versions of the queues you will see a similar level of challenge in the enemies that you are used to when the queues were labeled Elite."
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Y'know, I decided to play the Advanced Queues by hopping into Crystalline Catastrophe Advanced. I bailed after getting stuck at 60% HP with that thing and told my friend (Who's played MMOs, but not STO) about how hard it was. You know what he told me?

"Welcome to The Burning Crusade."

Delta Rising has become our Burning Crusade.
  • Options
    sanokskyratsanokskyrat Member Posts: 479 Media Corps
    edited October 2014
    I am so mad! I get so make them harder and i knew they talked about nerfting dil. I wrote about that as well in my fleet but there was NOTHING in the patch notes about the amount. But doing ISA with that cube with 7,150,000 health was just insulting for 480 dil!

Sure keep make it harder but 480dil is just insulting. You guys should feel ASHAMED!
    1368747308047.cached_zpsl4joalbs.jpg
  • Options
    rustychatrustychat Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So we get to go back to the 'good old days' where if you weren't specced for DPS (ie, not in a sci ship) you'd almost universally be reviled in a STF? Yay. And we get half as much for doing even more? Fantastic!

I guess I'm going to strike doing a couple of STFs off my daily list of things to do. Going to really suck for new players though.
  • Options
    majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Sorry, I'm all for more difficulty, but what we have now is a bug. It seems like Cryptic just moved everything over one decimal place to the right and that really doesn't make things more interesting. I mean I had to spend 15 minutes to kill a group of 2 probes with 250k hull each and who knows how much shielding? The probes couldn't even hurt me so I was just sitting there pressing buff after buff. It was so...boring...and slow...and tedious.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • Options
    phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    to the people saying advanced is harder, please... it isn't, its basically the same dumb thing x 5 , you gotta do the exact same everything you used to, except, more of it, for less reward(lol), that's not hard, that's boring.
  • Options
    xraiderv1xraiderv1 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    has anyone gone and used the contact support option here to submit a ticket/feedback?
    https://support.arcgames.com/app/games/detail/p/100/c/47

the best way to register dissatisfaction is to contact them directly.
    Murphy's laws:
    1- Murphy’s Law tells us that anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    2- And anything that does go wrong will get progressively worse.
    3- And if you survive the first two laws it’s time to panic.
  • Options
    xraiderv1xraiderv1 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    has anyone gone and used the contact support option here to submit a ticket/feedback?
    https://support.arcgames.com/app/games/detail/p/100/c/47

the best way to register dissatisfaction is to contact them directly.

the devs WILL listen if enough people speak up.
    Murphy's laws:
    1- Murphy’s Law tells us that anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    2- And anything that does go wrong will get progressively worse.
    3- And if you survive the first two laws it’s time to panic.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Cryptic should never have touched the classic Borg STFs known as ISE, KASE, CSE, IGE KAGE & CGE in my opinion.

They have been iconic STO missions for years now. For many of us the most fun aspect of this game. They rewarded dil and gave everybody a good time. True... due to reputation, traits and gear they grew more and simpler with each upgrade. For inexperienced players they were challenging and for veterans a fun platform to set up records or test ones own abilities to the max. In a fleet environment I was always able to decide if I go in with an advanced group to earn dil for fleet projects fast while having a good time (no felt grind) or if we do practise runs for players new to the game. I know most of my fleeties well and could estimate if three experienced players can handle a STF on their own while teaching it to two newbies or casual players. This is gone now and a disappointing setback and the “you can still do normal” argument a joke.

Don’t get me wrong here! I was hoping for a newer and higher difficulty setting but it should have been OPTIONAL and not something implemented at the expanse of what we had and played for. It was enjoyed by vast majority players according to queue lists.

And now?

All these MK XIV upgrades… all these new Tier 6 ships… all the new captains powers to level 60 and beyond… where do they get us?

We do not play the game in order to enhance or get better and stronger but only to regain something we ones had at best and what was simply patched out over night.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I was able to complete ISA today with a PUG group, but I won't be doing it again.

We failed the time objective, because it's pretty much only obtainable with 5 max geared Scimitars, but we did complete it.

It took 25 minutes and gave 480 Dilithium. So now, the que takes 10 times as long as it used to, for half the reward. It's extremely unimaginative to 'increase difficulty' by just upping HP and leaving it the same otherwise. That's not making it harder, it's just making it take much longer.

I agree with others, the old "elite" should have been untouched and renamed 'Advanced.' Put your ridiculous 7mil HP cubes in the new Elite for people that like that type of thing, but these changes are horrible.

I like a lot of the expansion, but sadly once I finish the story line I think I'll be done since running STF's is no longer fun.

I think I'm going to give it a week or two and see if they fix it, of not then instead of getting mad I'll just play something else. Fighting for a half hour for 480 Dil is just not my idea of fun.

I used to enjoy this game because it was a fun, causal experience that I could just boot up and enjoy. Now it's getting to where I load it up, and can't think of anything to do that's actually fun.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Bull****e. It's unplayable, unable to be completed by players that were quite adept at Elite missions only yesterday.

Just because you personally cannot, doesn't mean it is impossible.
  • Options
    x10110100x10110100 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Just accept it, if your not willing to spend hundreds of dollars if not thousands you should probably just quit playing Cryptic games. The Advance and Elite serve one purpose to weed out people not willing to pay. (and pay a lot not just a little)

Just like the crafting system, the upgrade system is for people who are willing to spends hundreds of dollars in a RNG lottery.

I personally came to the realization today that I am done with STO, I've been playing since before it was free to play, I have even paid more than i'd like to admit. But the crafting system plus Delta Rising have shown me the the cost of this game is far more than I am willing to pay.

I'll probably be done with Neverwinter next update as well.

I'll continue with Guild Wars 2 and Eve Online and Final Fantasy.
  • Options
    crypticgekocrypticgeko Member Posts: 87
    edited October 2014
    We did warn you that Elite is not for everyone. Its pretty extreme. Seriously, most players should not be able to do it.

But please note, that have already had some pretty well organized fleets blazing through Elite with apparent ease. It kinda blows me away honestly. We have a lot of diversity on skill in STO, so finding the right balance point may take time. We want to make a real challenge for our top players, so if players are succeeding easily (and they are), expect it to probably get harder.
  • Options
    phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    We did warn you that Elite is not for everyone. Its pretty extreme. Seriously, most players should not be able to do it.

But please note, that have already had some pretty well organized fleets blazing through Elite with apparent ease. It kinda blows me away honestly. We have a lot of diversity on skill in STO, so finding the right balance point may take time. We want to make a real challenge for our top players, so if players are succeeding easily (and they are), expect it to probably get harder.

Geko, Please ride it out. We need something to separate the men from the boys, were you need to use your brain. Stick to your guns! The only thing is that I wish the rewards were bumped up a bit for the extra challenge.