What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gear Upgrade Event (Now Ended)

Comments

• Options
    cbob312cbob312 Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This whole thing is really making it hard to be a non-crafting captain...
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    cbob312 wrote: »

The entire game makes it even harder to be a captain that crafts...
  • Options
    tcgrandpa#3038 tcgrandpa Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    potasssium wrote: »
    actually as the father of a newborn baby, not even 3 weeks old, it works well for me. I log a character in, and while I wait for all the projects to cycle, I have enough time to give him a bottle and change his diaper.

it's what I call multitasking.

congradulations!!! enjoy
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    rsoblivion wrote: »
    Hmm so it looks like unless people went Shields, Engineering, Science and their weapon of choice (usually Beams atm) we are utterly screwed for upgrading before 2017...

There needs to be accelerators added to the catalyst range which can double XP gain otherwise the time sink is ridiculous, not to mention claiming that Dil can accelerate is just a method bordering on extortion. To get to lvl 15 is roughly 100-110 days of research. That's well over 3 months, when you are limited to 4 slots for 80-90% of that time it gets worse, even moreso that you only get an "extra" slot at your first lvl 15.

Getting to lvl 20 is just unattainable in roughly 11 months without use of Dilithium. I'm all for creating content that draws players in, but this does exactly the opposite, it pushes players away as they have to wait for 20hr cooldowns OR spend ridiculous money (real or time based gathering the dil) to accelerate the process. When you can have 4 processes requiring 18K dil to accelerate with a limit of 8-9K refined Dil per day it starts to get really silly, even offensive.

TBH I really think the content of the game needs to be reconsidered first giving players a real reason to play in higher level instances (think more like a WoW raid which is roughly 20-30mins long with high risk/reward potential) and storylines.

I dont see why all of this is news for anyone. We already knew that the new crafting system is a dilithium eater, and a lot of people will just charge zen to fill that dilithium cap on the crafting system. It is another strategy to "force" some players to charge zen and trade it for dilithium for the crafting system.

But we ALL already knew this, for god sake.. and now, we NEED the crafting system to upgrade items that NEED to be upgraded to be competitive.. yeah, now the strategy is even more clear. I guess a lot of people will stop playing in the next few months asking emselves "y the hell im playing this game anymore?" lol. Fortunately some guys we already know this was going to happen, and just wait for the next expansion.. just wait... xD.
  • Options
    ashlotteashlotte Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I Hope they have normalized the Tech Points while testing cus they are to damm high on Tribble

The rent is is too damn high!
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Like a government tax deduction, Cryptic doesn't give something unless the cost incurred prior was greater! Crafting, upgrades to ships & now gear & captain specializations are so overcomplicated and overpriced, that Cryptic feels the need to ease te pain with some free materials to help us along. This was the case with the crafting boxes added to PvE queues, the 4-week long experience point bonus, and the prior dilithium bonus.

The dilithium costs associated with buliding serviceable ships, gear and DOff rosters has doubled in the last year, with no end in sight. Some of this is driven by the constant yammering of min/maxers wanting more (for free), some from the PvP'ers who need another pimp to their OP'd gunships, and Cryptic taking advantage of both for a cash grab.

This is more of an observation than a complaint, but it's a fact of economics that once one charges more for something than the market will bear, one will see the market auto-correct, and find a better value elsewhere. Cryptic/PWE are really skating to the thin edge of the pond here... :(
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    cbob312 wrote: »

If you had bothered just to keep your ship in space, kicked off the scan/analyze doff assignments, and kicked off the daily research assignments, you would have had 1 school at 15 around DR's release and 3 more getting there a week to a week and a half later. Two toons, and you would have been all set.
    Some of this is driven by the constant yammering of min/maxers wanting more (for free), some from the PvP'ers who need another pimp to their OP'd gunships, and Cryptic taking advantage of both for a cash grab.

As one of those min/maxers in the science department, I've openly told the OPvP crowd, if they want kits, they can get them from me as long as they provide the input for them. Frankly, it's a mutually beneficial arrangement since I get XP off it to get to level 20 quicker.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I dont see why all of this is news for anyone. We already knew that the new crafting system is a dilithium eater, and a lot of people will just charge zen to fill that dilithium cap on the crafting system. It is another strategy to "force" some players to charge zen and trade it for dilithium for the crafting system.

But we ALL already knew this, for god sake.. and now, we NEED the crafting system to upgrade items that NEED to be upgraded to be competitive.. yeah, now the strategy is even more clear. I guess a lot of people will stop playing in the next few months asking emselves "y the hell im playing this game anymore?" lol. Fortunately some guys we already know this was going to happen, and just wait for the next expansion.. just wait... xD.

From my point of view we desperately need to get rid of a ton of dilithium in the game - maybe as much as 50%. I would love to change 2 million to zen right now myself. I'll happily use it on the upgrades, however, until the value of the dilithium returns to a decent amount.

I have always had plenty of dilithium and not enough EC. Not sure why. I use the dilithium wekeends heavily but at other times don't come close to 8000 a day.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    dilithium Hard to come by! Plus taking forever to keep grinding daily to get enough to use. Buying Intrepid Class which was on discount prior! I was able save some. But I wanted the ship so I got it! :)

Now, Crafting for some and others not what they had expected from STO. So much push for it. Of course my R&D inventory keeps growing each day. Why can't we have option to just get the loot from drops, missions and Rep system (which-by-the-way seems to be adding other things like special extra tokens) along with a lot of marks over 1K and higher amounts of refined dilithium Things I need and some things I didn't need but now can't be traded in for dilithium only for low amounts of EC.

Anyway just have to make do with what I have get and keep on testing the gear so they can be more effective than non-effective. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Would have been nice if you had included just WHERE Commander Shelby would be on ESD!

:rolleyes:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    daveyny wrote: »
    Would have been nice if you had included just WHERE Commander Shelby would be on ESD!

:rolleyes:

"In the appropriate Ground Equipment Requisition Area" according to the Blog. In other words, go where you buy ground gear and Shelby should be around there.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Does anybody know what happens to a weapons visuals when you upgrade it? Can you, for example, upgrade a Mk I weapon up to Mk XII and beyond and keep it's original appearance?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Does anybody know what happens to a weapons visuals when you upgrade it? Can you, for example, upgrade a Mk I weapon up to Mk XII and beyond and keep it's original appearance?
    Alas, you can not do that. Appearance is tied to Mk.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    hmm, I can make and use superior but when I try to use improved kit for an upgrade the button is greyed out. Anyone else have this?

I get the message no tech upgrade slotted when trying to upgrade field generator with the correct science tech.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    where is Lieutenant Tirar at New Romulus Command
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I just want to say thanks for the upgrade events prior to DR. I hope I'm able to take advantage of them and I'm going to encourage my two sons who play STO to take advantage of it as well.

Cryptic didn't have to be generous enough to do a special bonus event. I get that it's also a bit of PR hype to encourage people to take part in the upgrade system, but freebies are still appreciated by this player. And my unemployed sons definitely like freebies!

From merriam-webster....
    gen·er·ous adjective \ˈjen-rəs, ˈje-nə-\

: freely giving or sharing money and other valuable things

: providing more than the amount that is needed or normal
    : abundant or ample

: showing kindness and concern for others

I wouldn't call Cryptic 'generous' by any meaning of the word.....
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Okay! I had gave this a shot.

Before
    Ground Gear Pistol Mark 11 Very Rare 118.2 DPS

150,000 EC for Basic Ground Tech Upgrade (15x)
    700 Plus Dilithum x 15

After
    Ground Gear Pistol Mark 12 Very Rare 122.9 DPS

1 hr to complete or another 700 Plus Dilithum

This can get really costly I say.. This weapon was less than 50K EC Mark XI Very Rare Purple just ot get it to Mark 12 cost way to much. This was just a test. It wasn't too hard to do although need more resources. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    zombiedeadheadedzombiedeadheaded Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Sorry, but this is insane. I have never seen such a naked attempt to bleed money from a game community, and with added Tedium thrown in free. I actually feel sorry for all those poor Star trek 'devotees', who be converting their Credit Cards to Dilithium.
    Ever thought of , you know, making a better game, with more content, and attracting more players, instead of being so content to bleed a minuscule core of Star Trek die-hards? (I am not one of these poor benighted souls, but c'mon, give them a break.)
  • Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Okay, what am I missing?

I'm standing next to Lt Shelby, I've talked to them and read all the little points about the upgrading process but I'm not getting anything saying where I can claim these free items we're supposed to get.

Is it just too early and it's not completely live yet? The time frame in the blog says it starts "about 10 AM PDT on September 25..." and it's past that now.

Just curious what's going on.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's looks like server is overworked - i just got kicked out of game
    by "server not responding" and now i can't get back to the game :mad:
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    OK folks.

It seems you have to GET A MISSION to talk to your contact. I got mine in orbit of New Romulus.

BUT

It was only AFTER I'd beamed down to find my contact. Could NOT FIND contact ANYWHERE. SO I GAVE UP.

When I beamed up, this mission comes out of nowhere. SO I beam down again. CONTACT is STANDING right in the MIDDLE of the ROOM with nothing but a giant ! mark up over her head. NOt her name mind you. It's not even on the MAP. Mad as hell right now. Yep. MAD.

Cryptic needs to make a map I can follow in my house to the bathroom. I need only walls and doors. with the toilet having a sign over it saying 'toilet'. your maps couldn't even get me to the crapper Cryptic.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    thetanine wrote: »
    where is Lieutenant Tirar at New Romulus Command

In all Faction Locations, you go to the Faction hub (ESD, Qo'nos or Romulan Command) go to where the ground gear is sold and look for the appropriate guy to pester.:)
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)

• Options
    ussboleynussboleyn Member Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    My pre-revamp Aegis set can not be upgraded :-(

/\
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    ussboleyn wrote: »
    My pre-revamp Aegis set can not be upgraded :-(

Is that Character Level 50? If so, then that is a bug and please report it.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I thought the prices for the event were free. it turns out that we still need to pay dilithium for an upgrade.. and it is not cheap... well, fortunately i saw this coming.. lol. Ow, so much dilithium that people will waste .. and we still have the cap in 8500. I wonder if someday cryptic will realize that we cant keep using dilithium for EVERYTHING and in so expensive ways. Well, they expect people to increase the zen charge of course, but seriusly?? i mean. I thought, that the mechanics were -> once you have the acelerators and the tech upgrades, you can upgrade your item FOR FREE. So, you still need to pay dilithium?? loooooooooool. :P
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    And now an R&D weekend. How nice.
    coolheadal wrote: »
    Why are there limits on upgrades going from Mark 12 Very Rare to Mark 14 Very Rare just a small margin from the image posted.
    Because MkXIV requires higher than level 50 (I would imagine full Admiral), so if we got it now we wouldn't be able to use it.
    ashlotte wrote: »
    The rent is is too damn high!
    It is.
    From merriam-webster....

I wouldn't call Cryptic 'generous' by any meaning of the word.....

Cryptic also has given away multiple Z-store items two summers in a row and for a fair amount of the events over the past few years have given away free starships (Amabassador R, Kamarang R, Dyson Science, base Odyssey and Bortas, Breen Cruiser and Raider). So saying they're incapable of being generous is also false.

One might think they're financially bipolar.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    sisteric wrote: »
    Is that Character Level 50? If so, then that is a bug and please report it.

I think i still have the old aegis set (it comes with the auto-levelling symbol) and i am not able to upgrade it either. No option for it. Anyways, seeing how expensive are the prices to upgrade anything, i guess i will forget about it.
  • Options
    roninfelroninfel Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    iamynaught wrote: »
    Okay, what am I missing?

I'm standing next to Lt Shelby, I've talked to them and read all the little points about the upgrading process but I'm not getting anything saying where I can claim these free items we're supposed to get.

Is it just too early and it's not completely live yet? The time frame in the blog says it starts "about 10 AM PDT on September 25..." and it's past that now.

Just curious what's going on.

I had that issue too. Just change instance and the mission should appear and then you can collect the mission rewards.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Has anyone else tried to upgrade a Field Generator science console. This seems to be the only think I can't upgrade that should. Or is it on a banned list?

• Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    On Tribble crafting an upgrade kit gave 6000+ crafting xp and on a crit 2 extra kits. During this great and generous event it gives 150 XP and 1 extra kit. I will play nice and not say where they can put the kits they give away for "free"...:rolleyes:
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.