test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is the Federation still bound by the 'Treaty of Algeron'?

wdwormack214wdwormack214 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Federation Discussion
Sinnce the Romulan Homeworlds no longer exist, and the Romulan Government, and prople are serioudly divided. Is the Federation still abiding by the treaty agreement that forbids them from equipping Federation vessels with 'Cloaking Tech'?

Since the situation has 'changed' considerably for the "empire', are the they in any position to forbid/restrict the use of 'cloaking tech'?
Post edited by wdwormack214 on

Comments

• anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    As for the Romulan Empire - That still exists, in the form of the Tal'shiar, and I am sure they want the federation to follow the treaty.

If the Treaty had been bound to a single government, it would have been void when the at the latest when the government that created Shinzon was overthrown, and we know that did not happen, as they stole Picards DNA while (or shortly after) he was still in command of the Stargazer (based on the physical age of Shinzon before his ageing started to accelerate).

The republic is another matter though.

At this point the Federation seems to acknowledge that both are legal governments, as they refer to The Romulan Empire, and the Romulan Republic respectively, and refer to both entities sovereignty, and as such must feel bound to follow the treaty.

However, to our knowledge, the treaty dosen't prevent the federation to have other governments install cloaks on their ships, just that they aren't allowed to develop their own... So in theory, the Republic or the Klingons could technically supply the federation with cloaks, without the federation breaking the treaty.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Do you really expect the intel ship cloaks to get a canon based explanation? We can theorize about the state of the Treaty of Algeron all day long but I higly doubt it will be even mentioned in the game.
  • danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I believe the current status is that the Treaty is considered void because one side of the agreement (the Romulan Star Empire) became actively hostile to the other, nullifying the purpose of the Treaty, which was to prevent hostilities.

It should be noted the Federation has no trouble using cloaked ships (as evidenced by both the effort they expended to obtain it in TOS and its use on the Defiant in DS9), just that most times the cloak is more trouble than it is worth in the kind of operations Starfleet normally carries out. Given that a cloak is far from perfect, that both the Romulans and Klingons are more advanced in this area of technology, and a ship travelling under it is running with shields down, most Starfleet commanders would consider the device too risky when their missions require them to show themselves in almost all cases (assistance to vessels or colonies in need, deterrence of hostile forces, exploration of regions of space that are natural hazards, ect).

So, except when a ship's mission specifically calls for a need for stealth, Starfleet would rather have a shield between their ships and danger than an imperfect stealth system they would only rarely use.

The Federation, therefore, is not bound by the Treaty any longer, but does tend to avoid placing cloaking systems on the vast majority of its ships for the reasons above.
  • dknight0001dknight0001 Member Posts: 1,542
    edited September 2014
    There is in game evidence saying the Treaty is gone it's part of the Path to 2409.

It was replaced with an Executive Order from the President of the Federation saying we won't use or deploy Cloaking tech. There are obvious exceptions to this order. And the new Intel ships are those.

The Treaty only covered the Alpha/Beta Quadrant, the Federation can have all the Cloaking Devices they want in the Delta Quadrant even if the Treaty is still in place.

If Cryptic wanted to be realistic your Cloaking device would not be useable in the Alpha/Beta Quadrants. But that technology doesn't exist in the game engine so it's up to the players of these ships to abide by the Federations beliefs (As in Roleplay a Starfleet Admiral).

I really want them to clear this whole thing up with an in game speech or something. Have a Diplomatic meeting between all the Factions with the player their and outline what the rules are these days.
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
  • hydrafacehydraface Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    How about this: remember in season seven of next gen, there was a planet of whinging lose-jobs who's planet suffered everytime a ship exceeded warp six or something? From that point on, it was a huge deal to go at max warp, and they had to get special dispensation to do so in subsequent episodes? Then they always DID get permission to go full warp, 'cos otherwise it would have sounded like they weren't really doing anything important and the episode would be really boring, BUT, at the same time, it kind of made it also sound like the accrod was just a nuisance that no-one really gave that much of a TRIBBLE about. it was like after two episodes of continuing this through-line, the producers kind of pinched the bridge off their collective noses and sighed with frustration 'cos it was a stupid idea and then it didn't really get mentioned in the other shows or movies? So my question is...what was up with that? I like to think that everyone I hit the transwarp button, I'm ballsing up that stupid planet and its population of failures just a leeetle bit more...
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Do you really expect the intel ship cloaks to get a canon based explanation?
    Since "canon" means "the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art", I think the better question would be "Why should we care what's canon?"

I care about continuity, not canon. And if it fits into STO continuity without a major inconsistency, it's fine with me.
  • starsider32485starsider32485 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    While Admiral Pressman from the TNG Episode "The Pegasus" was an TRIBBLE, I've always thought he had a point that it was stupid for the Federation to leave themselves tactically vulnerable by denying themselves cloaking technology while letting the Romulans run wild with it. However, and this is novel canon only mind, the reason the Federation even accepted those terms in the treaty was because just before the treaty was hashed out, they got caught with their pants down in a botched black op against the Romulans.

However, with the way things are going with the Undine and the Iconians, the whole 'Denying ourselves cloaking tech is stupid' mentality has come to the forefront again, and for good reason. Between Sela's disappearance the Tal Shiar's beheading, and the fact that NO ONE seems to be on their side, the Romulan Empire is pretty much null as a super-power anymore. With relationships with the Klingons (mostly) patched up, and with the Romulan Republic as a firm ally, and the Neutral Zone non-existant in any case, sticking to the treaty, especially a treaty with a nation that is either unhelpful with the current crisis at best and in league with the enemy at worst, would just be suicidally stupid when cloaking tech adds a major tactical advantage in a time where they're gonna need all the advantages they can get.

TL;DR, it's stupid for Starfleet to deny themselves cloaks when the Romulan Empire is on the outs, and they need every advantage they can get against the Iconians and other threats.
  • aleaicaleaic Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I question the current 'existence' of the Romulan Empire, in the political format it was once known as. I say this, because currently in the 2410 timeline calender of events, the Romulan Empire is essentially not even mentioned in the game, as it all a sense that the Tal Shiar are running things, barely at that, as Sela is currently abducted by the Iconians, and focus seems to be that the Federation and Klingon Empire, recognize the Romulan Republic, as the 'Romulan' entity to conduct business with.

If the Romulan Empire still exists, at this point, the game makes it's existence really muted in feel. Almost like the Tal Shiar are treated as interloping pirates anymore, than a true threat. At least, compared to what it once was. Shadows feel like they have more dire import to them. Even the Hirogen, in way. Maybe the future story-lines (official) will change this perception, but until then, feel like the old Romulan Empire is defunct. Course I could be wrong. The lack of 2410 based evidence, leads me to this current iota.

As for the Treaty, I hope the devs put something official in, to explain why the Intel ships have cloaks now. Beyond this, the real objection might come from the Klingons. In either case, the new ships having cloaks, didn't get them from thin air. Given the Defiant and Gal-X classes can use them, in 2409 (via console,) it may be the Treaty is seen as defunct, regardless of the current political climate. Using them on the new ships therefore, might be simply seen by Starfleet, as logical, considering they are entering a really lawless expanse. Ship's bigger than their own. WEIRD Delta Quad nuttiness, all around them. Might bee too much of a case of: we better use all we can get, even if there is somehow a Treaty still. (And it feels like there isn't one, anymore.

I'm probably missing stuff here, but there's my 20-40-60 hindsight to inject napalm onto the kerosine blaze, this thread consists of.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    To the OP: No.

From my point of view, the Feds don't need it. It's better to find ways to seek through cloak, then to copy it.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Since LoR (long after Okeg's administrative order that the Federation would still abide by the treaty), a lot of the quadrant seems to have adopted a sort of "One China Policy" with the Romulans, where everybody recognizes one government or the other as the rightful successor to Romulus and the legitimate authority over all of Romulan space. And most of the quadrant seems to have decided the Republic is the One Romulus, and left the Empire persona non grata.

To that end, the RSE seems to have been left out of all three summits we've seen in-game. The Khitomer summit involved the status of a good chunk of their population and territory, and they had to crash it uninvited just to have their say. The DS9 summit involved fleet activity in their space, but they were left out while other non-participants were at least brought in for a formal heads-up that Task Force Omega would be blowing up Borg in their space (Romulan Republic participation in this one is a bit weird since it's a pre-LoR mission, but it is still in their campaign so they were there sort of). The Jenolan summit didn't involve them, but it didn't involve the Cardassians or Ferengi, either, and they both got invites.

When the world did this between China and Taiwan, most countries took all their preexisting treaties with them to whichever government they recognized. The Treaty of Algeron suddenly has a very different context when it's between allies than between belligerents, particularly when both allies profess to be dedicated to a long term alliance and not just a partnership of convenience like during the Dominion War.

There's a lot of looking the other way in the alliance. Even moreso now that it's a three way alliance and not an awkward arrangement with Romulans allied on both sides of the Klingon-Federation War. Romulans have thalaron weapons, Klingons have protomater torpedoes and have pressed a conquered people into military service, and the Federation is siphoning manpower off of everyone around them with their generous dual citizenship program for getting foreigners into Starfleet. Everybody spies on everybody and nobody can or should be trusted beyond the immediate needs of the current conflict.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    For the record:
    It took three months for Federation President Aennik Okeg to convince the Romulans and the Klingons to send representatives to a summit to discuss the situation. When the meeting finally began, Okeg made the Federation's position clear. He apologized for the experiments into cloaking technology, and said that he had signed an executive order banning all research into or creation of Federation cloaking technology.

"The narrow legal view may be that the Treaty of Algeron ended when Romulus was destroyed," Okeg said. "The Romulan Star Empire we knew is gone, and you are a new people. What has not changed is the Federation's commitment to peace."

So legally, the Treaty of Algeron ended a while ago.

(Also, Executive Orders need to be backed by statute or the Constitution, which meansthe thing Okeg signed doesn't actually mean anything. I'm sure it sounded important while they were trying to make nice, but it didn't actually have much of a legal effect. Sneaky!)
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Is the Federation still bound by the 'Treaty of Algeron'?

Since the lore of STO says yes, at the moment. Despite the pending release of new Fed ships with cloaks, the answer is yes. They haven't changed the lore through story line yet, though I expect them to when DR finally releases.

So as much as people will dislike my answer, and argue it to no end, none of which I will participate in, it's the truth. Until they make changes through stroy, the existing story takes precedence. And THAT story to date, is yes, Fed is still bound by the Treaty of Algeron.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
    edited September 2014
    corelogik wrote: »
    Since the lore of STO says yes, at the moment.

Perhaps you missed my post, 'cause you were posting? The in-game text explicitly states that the "narrow legal view" is that "the Treaty of Algeron ended when Romulus was destroyed".

Path to 2409: Volume 16
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,903 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Look! it's another fed cloak thread!!!

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/9089434.jpg
    sig.jpg
  • hydrafacehydraface Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Keep in mind the real reason The feds don't have cloaking: Gene Roddenbury was simply strongly opposed, thinking it violated the principles of what Starfleet was about. "The Federation didn't sneak about" was his line. Does that still hold? I think so, it differentiates Starfleet from the other factions, giving them more character and different tactics.Or it might at least if there weren't so many cloaked fed ships...
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Can I say 'yes' for the sole purpose of watching the faction-supremacist morons throw a sh**-fit?
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    As I understand it, "officially" the treaty ended after the destruction of Romulus but Starfleet decided to be nice guys and keep their end of the agreement anyway. Once civil war broke out in Romulan space and the Imperials began getting more and more hostile toward the Feds, they threw it out for good.

If Cryptic does revamp the Romulan story arc, they should add a line about this to lay the subject to rest.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I just want a cutscene or something in game telling about what the deal is. That way it helps add to the story. And shows they care about lore and attempt to explain things. Instead of here something new, buy it, and enjoy.

I think they will explain it, so far they usually do to a degree.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,452 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    I believe that officially, the Treaty of Algeron was seen as officially defunct when Emperess Sela was abducted in the Brea system and the Tal Shiar pretty much took over. Although Romulus was lost , the Star Empire was still technically a superpower. Now the Star Empire is blantantly hostile, supporting a hostile power, and without a real leader.
    The Treaty was ment to preserve the peace between the Federation and the Star Empire. Technically... the remnants of the Star Empire broke their end of the Treaty.

Short Version: The events at Brea III opened the door to Fed Cloaks. Personal Headcanon says the Avenger was comissioned long after Brea III, and the Intel ships shortly after that.

Even Shorted version: Play Cutting the Cord.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Honestly, it doesn't matter. They (be that the devs, or PWE, or even just specific people like Geko) are gonna do what they are gonna do. Whether or not they decide to tell us anything, be it here or in the game somehow, it entirely up to them.

It's moot to talk about the Treaty of Algeron, because in the end, it doesn't matter.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited September 2014
    Thought this thread was necro'd.. no wait... it's the second thread on the same topic.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Sinnce the Romulan Homeworlds no longer exist, and the Romulan Government, and prople are serioudly divided. Is the Federation still abiding by the treaty agreement that forbids them from equipping Federation vessels with 'Cloaking Tech'?

Since the situation has 'changed' considerably for the "empire', are the they in any position to forbid/restrict the use of 'cloaking tech'?

if the treaty meant anything at all the devs wouldnt give federation intel ship ships cloaking devices at all. so the very fact that federation ships have such devices means the treaty doesnt mean anything. lets not forget the defiant, galaxyfail x and any other federation ships with cloaks.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I hope the devs have added a clause in the new storyline that the Romulan republic allows the federation research into and use of cloaks.

This is simply to rid ourselves of this eternal debate about the treaty of Algeron.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • chezmazterchezmazter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Think of it this way... these cloaking ships are made for Starfleet Intelligence. Think of Starfleet Intelligence like the CIA. Say there was a treaty between the United States and another country, which prohibited the use of technology which can make a plane or a ship invisible. Do you really think the United States government would hinder their secret service over a stupid treaty? Especially for planes and ships meant for stealth operations? Now think of that in terms of Starfleet.
  • kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I just want to bring this up... no one is BOUND to a treaty. They can honor it.. but a treaty is not binding. Anyone can pull out of a treaty at any time.

As far as the Treaty it self. The RSE that the treaty was written with is no more. It was taken over in a coup by the Tal'Shiar. The government that the treaty is with is no more. Even if that coup didn't happen the new RSE has openly attacked Federation ships voiding the treaty anyhow.

The RR is a totally different goverement and there is no new treaty with them as well about cloaks. So no there is no formal treaty that the Federation has signed that still in existence banning cloaks for the sake of peace.

The only thing that's there Okeg's executive order. That in a internal mater for the federation has nothing to do with the RSE, RR, KDF or some invalidated treaty. But it is the only thing that was holding Federation cloaking back and is the only unanswered question.
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Obviously cryptic doesn't think so.

In my view with where Cryptic has taken the in-game story line the Romulan Republic is an entirely new entity so any treaties made with the Romulan Star Empire not longer apply. Both the United Federation of Planets and the Klingon Empire seem to view the Romulan Republic as the new legitimate Romulan Government. The evidence of that being the latest in-game content where all three governments are clearly working together. What remains of the Romulan Star Empire is mostly Tal Shair and who would want to deal with that when you can deal with the warm and fuzzy Romulan Republic?
    Tza0PEl.png
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    darkjeff wrote: »
    Perhaps you missed my post, 'cause you were posting? The in-game text explicitly states that the "narrow legal view" is that "the Treaty of Algeron ended when Romulus was destroyed".

Path to 2409: Volume 16

If you're going to quote, quote the whole thing;
    When the meeting finally began, Okeg made the Federation's position clear. He apologized for the experiments into cloaking technology, and said that he had signed an executive order banning all research into or creation of Federation cloaking technology.

"The narrow legal view may be that the Treaty of Algeron ended when Romulus was destroyed," Okeg said. "The Romulan Star Empire we knew is gone, and you are a new people. What has not changed is the Federation's commitment to peace."

There by enforcing the Treaty. I really don't understand what is so hard for people to understand. In this context "may" is might be, not is.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you're going to quote, quote the whole thing;

There by enforcing the Treaty. I really don't understand what is so hard for people to understand. In this context "may" is might be, not is.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Cloaking_Device
    Although the Federation initially agreed to follow the treaty after the destruction of the Romulan homeworld, in early 2409 Starfleet was authorized to develop and implement cloaking technology on selected ships.

In-game material says that, in 2409, the Starfleet started implementing cloaks. Your quote was from a time before the Tal'shiar became hyper-aggressive towards the Federation. They broke that treaty first anyway, so the whole argument is moot.

I really don't understand what is so hard for people to understand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2014
    If you're going to quote, quote the whole thing

I did. :rolleyes:
  • wdwormack214wdwormack214 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Wow! Talk about 'Keep It Simple Stupid!

I just wanted to know if Federation/Starfleet Starships can use cloaking devices. I did't mean to put 'tribbles in the quadritriticale'. No offense meant guys, but I kindly suggest major 'shore leave' for everyone. Go outside, meet some girls, (preferrably not 'green-skinned'), get a drink, or two, (no Mtn Dew), and for Pete's sake, GET SOME SUN WILLYA! TROTFL:o