test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why the T6 Intelligence Ships look like how they do (from the concept artist!)

Comments

• khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    I remember hearing that too. Whether the players will accept this explanation remains to be seen. There have been some explanations like how we can fly Undine ships that are just awful. Having the Undine ships as slaves to the Undine and some are staying with us due to gratitude towards being liberated is far better than the explanation they came up with. However, there are some people that will always complain no matter what explanation is used.

I am not a fan of every ship being playable by everyone but I also realize this game is an MMO and people like to fly what they like to fly.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    edited September 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    i dont give a stuff what explanation they have, the only ship i like the look of is the kdf raptor.

OK well don't fly them then
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    I am not a fan of every ship being playable by everyone but I also realize this game is an MMO and people like to fly what they like to fly.

True, but Cryptic could come up with better explanations than undergoing extensive modifications to make them usable by humans. These are living beings that deserve some respect instead of butchering them alive.
    edited September 2014
    True, but Cryptic could come up with better explanations than undergoing extensive modifications to make them usable by humans. These are living beings that deserve some respect instead of butchering them alive.

agreed....
    Your pain runs deep.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014

The have been engineering by the Undine.

Think of the milk cow. Careful breeding has created a cow that produces too much milk for its own good. If it wasn't milked regularly, it would actually hurt itself and die. All done without cyberware, without genetic manipulation on a celular level. Just breeding.

Now, someone comes along and thinks: "Hey, great animal. But uh, it's killing itself with all that milk. Let's implant some cybernetics to regulate the milk production to a safe level.

Or, say, take a dog meant for dogfights. Trained to fight, suffering from anxiety, that keeps its stress levels and aggressiveness high so it is willing to fight another dog to death for the entertainment of its creators.
    Now someone comes along and gives it a special cybernetic control collar that regulates its stress hormones. Suddenly, these creature knows calm and peace.

The same thing could be true for Bioships. They are designed to be combat vessels. Constantly willing to fight, managing countless of sensors and data, and always obeying every command the Undine tell them. They are trained to immediately react to some kind of signal to aid another ship in battle to form up and launch a powerful high energy attack, a signal affecting them so strongly they can't really control what they are doing (and for example check whether they are doing it for an Undine or a Fed).
    And now some technicians come along, and install computers and controls that take away some of the responsibilities of the Undine Bioship. Give it calmness and sense of peace it hasn't experienced before - but still offer a sense of purpose.
    What really gets me is they make a big deal about the cloak (and the stealth look in the OP) then also make a big deal about the powerful active sensor suite...

Because nothing says "stealth" like broadcasting your location with a powerful transmitter.

I'm aware that tech may change, but they decided to use modern english, and "active sensor" has a specific meaning in english.
    "Stealth to Contact", so to speak. At least the Federation ships don't have battle cloak, IIRC, so once they engage in combat, they can't easily cloak up again and instead power up their active sensor suite.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I can understand the idea of trying to sneak around. To gather intel or do a mission without being noticed as much. Which I can see why the ships are designed as such.

However when did StarFleet ever sneaked around? To me that is more Romulan. :rolleyes:
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The Intel Cruiser and SCI ship are still ugly.

The design is all wrong, and the deflector needs to be flipped to the other side for the SCI ship, that would change it for the better. The cruiser though, needs to be completely re-thought in design.
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    The thing that most people are overlooking was that these ships are being designed for a Stealth purpose. Which makes me wonder if a lot of Delta's content is going to require a lot of cloak & dagger stuff to max potential of success. Romulans will be well-prepared for this sort of thing but Klinks & Feds may have to adapt and think like Romulans there.

And doesn't the Treaty of Algeron strictly forbid the Federation from developing let alone using it's own Cloaking tech (the Defiant's case was a rare exception, and was used under strict Romulan conditions and only by a Romulan operator. Once it was damaged beyond repair at the start of the Klingon invasion of Cardassia it became moot)? Unless there's some mention in the game that the Republic is providing the actual cloaking hardware and waiving that Treaty provision, I'm sticking to geek canon.

Treaty Only applied to the Alpha Quadrant I think, and any way, the treaty was signed with the Empire, I reckon with their declining power, Shambolic Government and the Rise of a new Government recognised by the Federation, the treaty no longer stands
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    My problem is still that the Fed Ships can be easily ported into [Insert Random SciFi Game] and don't need anything to be changed to fit right in.

Stealth, Cloak and Intelligence can be achieved by making a design that plays with the familiar design AND fit right in with what canonically comes after (Wells Class, Enterprise J).
    These Ships look so foreign and (as someone said here) Un-Trek on purpose that it doesn't make fun to look at them and the fact that they needed to add Tron-Lines (and even call them that themselves) to make it easier for the player to see them doesn't help it.
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
    edited September 2014
    farmallm wrote: »
    I can understand the idea of trying to sneak around. To gather intel or do a mission without being noticed as much. Which I can see why the ships are designed as such.

However when did StarFleet ever sneaked around? To me that is more Romulan. :rolleyes:

I think there was an episode of TOS where Kirk worked for Starfleet Intelligence "The Enterprise Incident" and sneaked around.
    TNG "Chain of Command" Picard, Crusher and Worf went on a covert mission.
    Voyager - Tuvok went undercover to infiltrate the Maquis
    Your pain runs deep.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Now we have some more info on the new ships, I think I can live with them. The designs make sense, from an in-universe point of view.

Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

I might even buy me an Eclipse just to try it out.
  • quistraquistra Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm not a huge fan of the stealth aesthetic, but knowing the reasons why these ships look like that somewhat redeems them, in my view. Why they look like that makes a lot more sense now.
    The artist formerly known as PlanetofHats.
    Actual join date: Open beta, 2009ish.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    adverbero wrote: »
    Treaty Only applied to the Alpha Quadrant I think, and any way, the treaty was signed with the Empire, I reckon with their declining power, Shambolic Government and the Rise of a new Government recognised by the Federation, the treaty no longer stands
    Well, one of the other threads mentioned something that I found useful to know. Federation President Aennik Okeg officially declared the treaty null and void after the Hobus disaster and the subsequent Romulan civil war. He did however, as a gesture of goodwill, promise to continue following the treaty's terms. But that's all stuff that happened before the Romulan FE series.... He seems to have changed his mind since then....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well, one of the other threads mentioned something that I found useful to know. Federation President Aennik Okeg officially declared the treaty null and void after the Hobus disaster and the subsequent Romulan civil war. He did however, as a gesture of goodwill, promise to continue following the treaty's terms. But that's all stuff that happened before the Romulan FE series.... He seems to have changed his mind since then....

That is interesting

So basically the federation chose to uphold it of their own volition, but something obviously has them worried enough to change their mind

Interesting
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    That is interesting

So basically the federation chose to uphold it of their own volition, but something obviously has them worried enough to change their mind

Interesting
    Okeg did it to avoid going to war with Taris' Star Empire, but Sela went to war with the Federation anyways, so the federation keeping their hands out of cloaking tech in order to placate the Romulans really wasn't an issue by the time STO takes place. Not so much the Federation doing it because something has them worried enough to go back on their word, it's just there's no reason to uphold it any more.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I bet threads like this really grind their gears
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Yes, their need for moar $$$.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited September 2014
    I think there was an episode of TOS where Kirk worked for Starfleet Intelligence "The Enterprise Incident" and sneaked around.
    TNG "Chain of Command" Picard, Crusher and Worf went on a covert mission.
    Voyager - Tuvok went undercover to infiltrate the Maquis

Those was more missions like to get on a ship, or to see what was going on, or some other mission that required it. You didn't see their ships sneaking around cloaked, or them in a new "stealth" ship just sneak around. That is like something a Romulan would do.

edited September 2014
    Those was more missions like to get on a ship, or to see what was going on, or some other mission that required it. You didn't see their ships sneaking around cloaked, or them in a new "stealth" ship just sneak around. That is like something a Romulan would do.

Technically Sisko was given a ship equipped with a cloak to complete his mission of going to find the founders
    Your pain runs deep.
    edited September 2014
    Technically Sisko was given a ship equipped with a cloak to complete his mission of going to find the founders

Even that was under unusual conditions. And it came with strict limits and rules of use. At least when they first got it. Thanks to the Romulans. Even this proves that StarFleet don't go sneaking around.

Cloaking device used by Defiant:
    A special amendment to the Treaty of Algeron allowed the USS Defiant to be fitted with a Romulan cloaking device. (DS9: "The Search, Part I", "Defiant")

The Romulans loaned and allowed the limited supervised use of at least one cloaking device. Operation of the cloaking device was to be limited to the Gamma Quadrant and in return, the Federation would provide the Romulans any and all intelligence collected in the Gamma Quadrant and about the Dominion. (DS9: "The Search, Part I", "Visionary") The USS Defiant was the only Federation ship to be seen regularly operating a cloaking device. According to Sisko, a Romulan officer (T'Rul) was supposed to join the Defiant crew to operate the cloaking device and ensure its safekeeping. However, no Romulan liaison officers were seen aboard the Defiant after DS9: "The Search, Part II". It is of note, that soon after the cloaking device was brought into use the Dominion developed a way to penetrate the cloak using certain types of antiproton beams. The Defiant was especially vulnerable as the power of the warp engines in relation to the size of the ship led to a high power signature that wasn't fully masked by the cloaking device. It did however, at times provide a significant tactical advantage that was exploited on numerous occasions. (DS9: "The Search, Part I")
    This issue was later resolved, indicating that a modification was developed to defeat this detection method.

After the Defiant was destroyed by the Breen, her replacement, formerly the USS Sao Paulo, was not equipped with a new cloaking device. 1477
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Defiant_class

Even STO's own lore stats the Federation isn't supposed to sneak around.

In the video game Star Trek Online, set in 2409/10, the Romulan Star Empire collapsed due to the destruction of Romulus. The in-game lore [1] however states that the elected president of the United Federation of Planets, Aennik Okeg, proclaimed that the UFP and Starfleet are still bound to the contents of that treaty and all efforts concerning the research and/or developing of cloaking technology have been banned within the UFP (The Path to 2409: Volume 16, Chapter 2). This statement was a reaction to the exposed illegal attempts of Starfleet Security to develop cloaking technology of their own when the USS Kelso, fitted with a prototype cloaking device, was lost with all hands on Stardate 72487.91 due to a critical malfunction (The Path to 2409: Volume 16, Chapter 1).

Contrary to the games' own lore, Federation players are able to choose three ships with cloaking technology, the Galaxy-class Refit (named "Dreadnought Cruiser" in-game) as seen in "All Good Things..." and a retrofit of the Defiant-class, as well as the Avenger-classbattlecruiser, which is specifically designed to compete with comparable Klingon vessels. Non-player controlled (NPC) versions of those ships however do not show cloaking capability.

Due to this rule, no Federation ship under my command will use it. I have a Defiant R, Dread, and Avenger, which do not use cloaking to sneak around. If they kept true to lore even with STO. Fed ships shouldn't be able to cloak period as it illegal. Since its banned from use.

edited September 2014
    Even that was under unusual conditions. And it came with strict limits and rules of use. At least when they first got it. Thanks to the Romulans. Even this proves that StarFleet don't go sneaking around.

Cloaking device used by Defiant:
    A special amendment to the Treaty of Algeron allowed the USS Defiant to be fitted with a Romulan cloaking device. (DS9: "The Search, Part I", "Defiant")

The Romulans loaned and allowed the limited supervised use of at least one cloaking device. Operation of the cloaking device was to be limited to the Gamma Quadrant and in return, the Federation would provide the Romulans any and all intelligence collected in the Gamma Quadrant and about the Dominion. (DS9: "The Search, Part I", "Visionary") The USS Defiant was the only Federation ship to be seen regularly operating a cloaking device.
    It is of note, that soon after the cloaking device was brought into use the Dominion developed a way to penetrate the cloak using certain types of antiproton beams. The Defiant was especially vulnerable as the power of the warp engines in relation to the size of the ship led to a high power signature that wasn't fully masked by the cloaking device. It did however, at times provide a significant tactical advantage that was exploited on numerous occasions. (DS9: "The Search, Part I")
    This issue was later resolved, indicating that a modification was developed to defeat this detection method.

After the Defiant was destroyed by the Breen, her replacement, formerly the USS Sao Paulo, was not equipped with a new cloaking device. 1477
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Defiant_class

Even STO's own lore stats the Federation isn't supposed to sneak around.

In the video game Star Trek Online, set in 2409/10, the Romulan Star Empire collapsed due to the destruction of Romulus. The in-game lore [1] however states that the elected president of the United Federation of Planets, Aennik Okeg, proclaimed that the UFP and Starfleet are still bound to the contents of that treaty and all efforts concerning the research and/or developing of cloaking technology have been banned within the UFP (The Path to 2409: Volume 16, Chapter 2). This statement was a reaction to the exposed illegal attempts of Starfleet Security to develop cloaking technology of their own when the USS Kelso, fitted with a prototype cloaking device, was lost with all hands on Stardate 72487.91 due to a critical malfunction (The Path to 2409: Volume 16, Chapter 1).

Contrary to the games' own lore, Federation players are able to choose three ships with cloaking technology, the Galaxy-class Refit (named "Dreadnought Cruiser" in-game) as seen in "All Good Things..." and a retrofit of the Defiant-class, as well as the Avenger-classbattlecruiser, which is specifically designed to compete with comparable Klingon vessels. Non-player controlled (NPC) versions of those ships however do not show cloaking capability.

and these aren't unusual conditions?
    as per STO wiki:
    Although the Federation initially agreed to follow the treaty after the destruction of the Romulan homeworld, in early 2409 Starfleet was authorized to develop and implement cloaking technology on selected ships.
    Your pain runs deep.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Okeg did it to avoid going to war with Taris' Star Empire, but Sela went to war with the Federation anyways, so the federation keeping their hands out of cloaking tech in order to placate the Romulans really wasn't an issue by the time STO takes place. Not so much the Federation doing it because something has them worried enough to go back on their word, it's just there's no reason to uphold it any more.

The Federation's involvement with the RSE makes pretty clear where they stand with them now. The campaigns have shown us three major summits, and the RSE was left out of all three (Sela showed up at Khitomer, but it was made fairly clear they weren't invited).

It's not entirely clear if the Federation has officially adopted a One China Policy, but we are giving their summit invites to Taiwan, so it looks like it.
    edited September 2014
    and these aren't unusual conditions?
    as per STO wiki:
    Although the Federation initially agreed to follow the treaty after the destruction of the Romulan homeworld, in early 2409 Starfleet was authorized to develop and implement cloaking technology on selected ships.

So far I have found no conditions needed to cloak. I come in with my ship and deal with it. Just like they always have since TOS days. If I want to sneak around, I get on my Romulan or KDF. As for the new FEs in Delta Rising. I will be in there with my Ambassador Class dealing with it. There is no cloak on her what so ever.

• nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    important question only kinda related to cloak...

who do you think has more agents in starfleet section 31 or the undine?

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    edited September 2014
    So far I have found no conditions needed to cloak. I come in with my ship and deal with it. Just like they always have since TOS days. If I want to sneak around, I get on my Romulan or KDF. As for the new FEs in Delta Rising. I will be in there with my Ambassador Class dealing with it. There is no cloak on her what so ever.

Congrats on playing the game how you want. However on several occasions that I pointed out Starfleet Captains have on occasion 'sneaked around'
    Your pain runs deep.
  • happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Secrets aren't evil, But evil Loves secrets, Secrecy shields Evil intent, cloaks it, allows it to grow and proceed, and to act without opposition

Theres a good reason people don't like secrets

Don't confuse "good" people with "naive" people.

There are secrets that, if revealed, in some places can cause perfectly good people to lose their jobs, be shunned by friends and family, or get savagely beaten by the ignorant... simply because of the specific plumbing of who happens to give their hearts a warm fuzzy.

And then of course there's things like troop positions in war. Probably a not a good idea for "good" Amercians to be blabbing things like that where Germans could have heard them circa WW2, huh?

By the way, if your significant other's jeans make them look fat... take that secret to your grave. If you decide not to... make sure you have a pillow and blanket ready to deck out the couch for a few nights, or possibly an alternate place to stay. Consider it friendly advice...

There are many perfectly good people who have perfectly good reasons to keep secrets. Secrets and spying are tools. So is language. They should ALL be used responsibly.
    edited September 2014
    Congrats on playing the game how you want. However on several occasions that I pointed out Starfleet Captains have on occasion 'sneaked around'

Until they made an adjustment, Federation was not allowed to cloak therefore was illegal to sneak around. Going in undercover as a person is different. Than trying to sneak your whole ship in for dirty business. Only the Defiant was used for that purpose. Since then or before no other Fed ship had cloak. So I basically pointed out that they don't go sneaking around.

• admiralq1732admiralq1732 Member Posts: 1,561 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    to the concept artist. GO WORK FOR ANOTHER GAME! Your designs do not fit this universe.
    edited September 2014
    Until they made an adjustment, Federation was not allowed to cloak therefore was illegal to sneak around. Going in undercover as a person is different. Than trying to sneak your whole ship in for dirty business. Only the Defiant was used for that purpose. Since then or before no other Fed ship had cloak. So I basically pointed out that they don't go sneaking around.

It was never illegal to go sneaking around as Starfleet has sent their officers on sneaking mission on quite a few occasions. It was only illegal to use a cloak. Until recently.
    But then again that didn't mean Starfleet didn't have cloak technology as evidenced by the cloaked lab and personal cloaks in Star Trek: Insurrection...which featured Starfleet 'sneaking around'.

However the one constant about Star Trek is that things change
    Your pain runs deep.
  • happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Only the Defiant was used for that purpose. Since then or before no other Fed ship had cloak. So I basically pointed out that they don't go sneaking around.

The Enterprise Incident, TOS. Kirk stole a Romulan cloak and used it to evade the Romulans after hooking it into the Enterprise. An isolated event, sure... but another fed ship that had a cloak (though for a short time), and they used it specifically to sneak away in space with their ship...