test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why the T6 Intelligence Ships look like how they do (from the concept artist!)

somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/2fh905/sto_concept_artist_here_amaish/
Hello guys this is Hector Ortiz, concept artist for STO and I’m here to talk about process, decision making and to answer some of your design related questions about this IP we love. This post will mainly be focused in T6 ships. BTW this a personal post and doesn’t necessarily reflect Cryptic’s view of things. Let’s keep it serious and professional and we’ll all have an informative thread! I’ll start with some points to get the ball rolling.

Why are the Intelligence ships designed like that? The intelligence ships were designed after the modern visual language of stealth jet fighters. Intelligence gathering has always been a gray zone in governments. Sometimes their hands get somewhat dirty to acquire it (intelligence) and for that reason Intel ships have that “darker” tone. Their plating hints of some alien tech exchange. It has always been strange to me that somehow tech doesn’t seem to cross over species in ST. Even on Earth what one product brand does influences the others. I’m not saying this will be a trend in STO design, but something to think about as an open minded fan.

When it comes to “mechanics” these ships were designed to have a minimum energy profile. Nacelles are narrow, yet longer proportionally. Bussard collectors are also minimized for the same purpose, stealth. Design wise the blue “Tron lines” were done to “draw” the ship against the darkness of space. Stealth jet fighters barely have windows. There’s simply no need for them. The same was decided for Intel ships, which is why we traded them with the “tron” lines. It was a gameplay related decision. As you can see one thing leads to another. Dark stealthy ships that need player visibility, but couldn’t rely on windows for it. Later I might post some other concepts, but it’s not a promise eh!

This is only a part of the entire article (and look through the thread itself for more posts from the concept artist).
Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
Razira's Primus Database Page
Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Thanks for the link!

Edit: everyone should read the comments, hector and jamjamz pretty much confirm that variations of classic designs as customization for the Intel ships are in the works! I'm on a tablet so quoting is not doable, but some retyping:

Hector: I just asked my ship guys and they tell me that yes classic variant ship skins are on the way.

Jamjamz: classic materials will be available but any variant geometry parts will retain the Intel look.
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Cool to hear it from the Concept designer

Though I kinda already had that feeling thats where they were going with them.

I like a little Espionage, some stealth and subterfuge in a story, Though I'll be honest and say I don't like the characters such as Sloan and Drake, I want to Disentegrate them ( But that kind of proves the point that they are well written, Good characters get reactions from the audience)
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • mandarsmashmandarsmash Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm honestly looking forward to these ships. I'm almost certainly going to change the ship material and play with the variant parts, but as long as this series of ships is kind of a one-off, I'm very happy with them. If all future ships started looking like these, I'd be less than happy, but looking at how they're releasing the Guardian, my guess is these intelligence ships are a limited class.
  • havokreignhavokreign Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm excited to hear skins may be on the way to replace the jigsaw puzzle.

Also stealth fighters/bombers don't glow in the dark. :rolleyes:
  • curmecurme Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Still ugly as hell, no matter how they try to tap dance their way out of it. A flying stick just doesn't have personality.

If they were really trying to go for a stealth look, the nacelles should have folded down while in warp.

Hell, even the borg cubes look better.
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited September 2014
    Hmm... well, 3-4 ships will not cover every ship skin in the game. So, some people will still be unhappy.

Phantom could be a Defiant, a Guardian could be a Galaxy, a Eclipse could be... Heavy Cruiser?

Not even sure about the Science Intel ship...
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I appreciate all the effort but, taking design inspiration from 4-500 yr old "crude stealth designs" is ludicrous.

I'm sure that SOME elements of "stealth" remain constant, but seriously? There is no way designs from today are still going to be relevant 4-500 years from now.

Given the sophistication of ST sensors that can sense astoundingly vast quantities of information from light years away, there is no way that modern stealth physical design is going to still be effective or relevant.

As stated I appreciate the effort and am looking forward to the new ships. abilities and areas to play in but the design inspiration for these new vessels is completely ludicrous and off base.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    curme wrote: »
    Still ugly as hell, no matter how they try to tap dance their way out of it. A flying stick just doesn't have personality.

If they were really trying to go for a stealth look, the nacelles should have folded down while in warp.

Hell, even the borg cubes look better.

Agreed a very nice tap dance. But from what i'm hearing the only players that will need this ships are pvpers. So i won't waste money on them.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I thought the Tier 6 Cruiser was based on Stealth Fighters and it is nice to see that I was proven right.

As far as modern Stealth designs being used is ludicrous, Science Fiction is filled with using modern ideas or common shapes for future starship designs like using fish, spiders, or 1950s spaceship designs. Obviously most of the designs will never happen in real life, but they certainly look interesting.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well, I've been around this dog and pony show enough that I should realize the issue is always less with the artist and more with a mix of the planning and the presentation.

If they just had one term, Tier 6, most of this brouhaha would have been moot. But separating the tiers as 5U and 6 implies trajectory. Heck, if they'd called it Tier 6 and Tier 6I, you'd see considerably less controversy.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Funny they give these faction skins but refused to do it for Dyson ships
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Funny they give these faction skins but refused to do it for Dyson ships

True words
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    corelogik wrote: »
    I appreciate all the effort but, taking design inspiration from 4-500 yr old "crude stealth designs" is ludicrous.

I'm sure that SOME elements of "stealth" remain constant, but seriously? There is no way designs from today are still going to be relevant 4-500 years from now.

Any sensors that aren't complete handwavium are going to be based on one of three core concepts:

1: Detect particle/wave emissions from the target (e.g. heat signatures)

2: Detect target's interaction with a field in space (e.g. target moves through a planet or star's magnetic or gravitational field)

3: Bounce particles/waves off of the target and analyze the return (radar-like--most active scans)

Now, the basic principles of having as-low-as-possible energy emissions (or directing emissions in specific directions--e.g. dumping nearly all of your heat through the engine exhaust) is not going to change no matter what the technology level--though cloaking graviton emissions is going to take extreme finesse with generating exactly enough anti-gravitons to cancel your own ship's mass.

Also, making your ship as non-reflective as possible to whatever your opponent is scanning you with (electromagnetic waves of whatever part of the spectrum from radio to X-ray, or particle beams, or whatnot) is likewise not going to change--only the methods of rendering it non-reflective will change. Absorbing as much of as many wavelengths and particle types as possible instead of reflecting them will help (i.e. you are "black" all over), and angled rather than rounded surfaces (to make sure that you will only reflect a beam directly back to its source when the beam hits you perfectly "flat-on") will aid in this.
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Given the choice between these T6 designs, and Flying a Vogon Ship. I'll fly the Vogon ship.

Until they give me the ability to fly a T6 Regent, (Even if it is just a skin), Ill hang on to my money, and my Dilithium.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Yep. There's no getting around they simply look like ****. "Stealth" design is an idiotic concept too. Cloaks have existed for 50 years in the IP. Ships that could cloak never needed "special hull material" and "no windows" in order to become completely invisible and undetectable. Now all of a sudden, they do?

And Starfleet may as well update their mantra of "boldly going" to "sneaking around". But I guess this wouldn't be an STO update if Cryptic didn't **** on canon some more. Far and away the worst ship designs I've ever seen.
    Agreed.

Let's be honest here, they only made the ships like that, because they thought it would look "cool".
    It's sad to see game developers systematicly deconstructing an IP and being proud of it doing so.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited September 2014
    Love how some players are 'experts in trek technology' and know exactly how things should look.

I like 'em. Tron lines and all.

Keep in mind these are just the first ships in the T6 category. Intelligence vessels.... I can only imagine what they will come up with next.
  • corelogikcorelogik Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Any sensors that aren't complete handwavium are going to be based on one of three core concepts:

1: Detect particle/wave emissions from the target (e.g. heat signatures)

2: Detect target's interaction with a field in space (e.g. target moves through a planet or star's magnetic or gravitational field)

3: Bounce particles/waves off of the target and analyze the return (radar-like--most active scans)

Wow! You should play the stock market. You're able to predict what military technology and concepts will be important and "core" in use 500 years from now, you should be able to clean the hell up on the market where you only need to predict a few weeks/months in advance.

On a serious note, your predictions are probably true, based on our CURRENT understanding of physics and science. Who's to say that by the time we actually attain warp drive, meet the vulcans and start exploring the galaxy, our understanding of fundamental principles won't be totally changed.

Scientific theories, principles and methods are being changed, discovered, proven/disproven all the time. I expect a lot to change in the next 500 years.
    "Go play with your DPS in the corner, I don't care how big it is." ~ Me
    "There... are... four... lights!" ~Jean Luc Picard
  • saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Unless Cryptic Designers think, people in 2410 still find ships by friggin looking out of a godforsaken window... "Looking Stealthy" is completely irrelevant and has nothing to do with what they talk about besides "It looks cool, man!"
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • drmoxdrmox Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Ultimately if your either an "open minded" Star Trek Fan or not I think any future design atempts on Fed ships will be decided to some degree by the "wallet vote" for STO though there is a caveat to that and it maybe interpreted for some as a kind of light blackmail over the Starship Trait system. Where serious $ spent by the consumer in future ships and lockbox keys may really ramp up.

The fact that these Intel T6s have a Trait to grind to collect and fit on those Trait Slots for your character might well be the process some people may feel they have to do and then discard the ship, rinse, repeat for another trait as they go through these ships for the trait level alone. So they could design a flying brick for all they care and still get sales from folks after the Trait ignoring the ship. It is cynical.

I guess this was the point of why 5U can be still viable after grinding out Traits from T6 ships you dont like but are necessary to grind if you want to acquire the Trait for your character.

So design wise it maybe a moot thing for people with large wallets who plan on upgrading their favourite T5 ship with the knowledge somewhere along the way they will end up buying unappealing designs just to pump up their pay to win desires.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Wow! You should play the stock market. You're able to predict what military technology and concepts will be important and "core" in use 500 years from now, you should be able to clean the hell up on the market where you only need to predict a few weeks/months in advance.

On a serious note, your predictions are probably true, based on our CURRENT understanding of physics and science. Who's to say that by the time we actually attain warp drive, meet the vulcans and start exploring the galaxy, our understanding of fundamental principles won't be totally changed.

Scientific theories, principles and methods are being changed, discovered, proven/disproven all the time. I expect a lot to change in the next 500 years.
    Quite simply - it's very unlikely.

Science doesn't make leaps that suddenly turn stuff totally around. And even if there is some fantastic uber-tech that doesn't rely on passive detection, reflection or interaction with fields, there still is non-uber tech that relies on it, and it would suck to be invisible just to the fancy-pants sensor technology but get detected by a radar signal.

But it's also fact that they never really showed some of these fancy-pants sensor technology that doesn't rely on the basic principles outlined above.
    Subspace emissions could be tracked. Plasma could be detected. Distortions in magnetic fields.

And Cloak was often shown to be imperfect in some way. In TOS, Romulan cloaked vessels could still be detected enough to know they were there, even if they couldn'T target them. In Undiscovered Country, the ship left behind plasma. In TNG, Warbirds were detectable at Warp and with Tachyon Detection (an active sensor technology). In DS9, the Dominon managed to scan for the cloaked Defiant, and the station could detect something weird going on when a cloaked Warbird was sitting on it.

The only one that was called perfect was the Scimitar cloak - but that might no longer hold true due to more advanced technology. (A player's Scimitar cloak definitely is not perfect, it can be detected with Science Captain Sensor Scan and high Auxiliary Power).

You don't know what the enemy uses to detect you, so you try to cover your bases.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • maxdredmaxdred Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I don't care if these are supposed to be intelligence ships or not. That doesn't excuse the fact that these are incredibly UGLY ships and very un-Star Trek. I find it insulting that you would try pass these off as presentable ships. And the whole thing just sounds like an excuse for a reduced polygon budget, because that's exactly what this look like. Either that or there's just no imagination and talent going into these designs.

Most people are here for Star Trek. So get back to selling Star Trek to us.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well I still don't like them and what's way worse and a huge problem, they are un-official fake designs.

Unofficial lore, unofficial ships? Do you see the problem?
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    vestereng wrote: »
    Well I still don't like them and what's way worse and a huge problem, they are un-official fake designs.

Unofficial lore, unofficial ships? Do you see the problem?
    No, I do not see the problem.
    If you want official lore and official ships, TNG and TOS ares out on Blu Ray and digitally remastered now. I am really hoping DS9 gets the same treatment.

Cryptic has no choice but create new lore and new ships if they want to continue the show You don't have to like them all.
    It's not like all of the official lore and ships were all well liked by every Trek fan.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well in my opinion the 'stealth' look of the Wells and the Mobius are a much more aesthetically pleasing sight than the T6 monstrosities.

Also, the ships have cloaks. Doesn't that mean that to be stealthy they would be cloaked, so their look 'outside' cloak doesn't matter.

Another thing I take from thi thread was a comment that really hits the nail on the head...

Rename T5-U as T6
    Rename T6 as T6-I

Job done everyone satisfied no problem move along now...

Actually I wouldn't stop there - my feedback would be that the only difference between T5-U and T6 (or T6 and T6-I) should be the ability to have Intel BOFFs. They should have matching consoles (ie T6 have one extra console to 11) and matching # of BOFF slots (ie T6 has one less BOFF power). T6 Intel ships can keep the Ship Traits that they get, but other T5-U should be given their own traits at lvl5 mastery (lock box ships could all have one for each type - Cardy, Ferengi, Jemmy, Temporal, Tal shiar, Elachi, Hirogen, Voth, Undine, Xindi), faction fed, kdf and rom would all have the same trait.

That way the whole T6 debate would boil down to this:
    Want to use Intel Boffs/powers? Fine buy an Intel ship.
    Don't? Then you can get your current ship upgraded to T6 at a cost and don't lose out.
    Have a lockbox/event/vet ship? Upgraded to T6 for free :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    yreodred wrote: »
    Agreed.

Let's be honest here, they only made the ships like that, because they thought it would look "cool".
    It's sad to see game developers systematicly deconstructing an IP and being proud of it doing so.

Oh and thats different to any fictional ship how? Very few sci fi ships actually make any engineering sense, since they were designed by artists and not engineers thats hardly surprising
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • kerriknightkerriknight Member Posts: 274
    edited September 2014
    Seriously.

A grown man wrote that?

Sounds like a little kid grasping at straws, offering 3 completely unrelated explanations for their behavior and all of them totally contrived.

Flimsy rationalizations don't cut it. Especially ones that make you look ignorant of the IP you're trying to sound supposedly knowledgeable about.

How many Klingon and Romulan ships cloak? How many of them have windows? How many rely on dark-colored hulls? How many require a low radar cross-section?

If you're invisible while cloaked, what flippin' difference does it make what you look like otherwise?!
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Cryptic has no choice

I sympathize with their situation but way I see it before you were renting official star trek license and now you are not.

The cost of renting a few pixels on your screen could be rationalized with it being official design.
    It cost money because it was a copyrighted product.

Just like the whole game could be aswell - everyone hates the story missions and forced to cope but at least flying a star trek ship, you could live with it.

With everything that was terrible at the end of the day you had your picard ship or whatever you personally liked.

Now you are not even flying a star trek ship anymore so what's left? A handful of sound effects from the shows?

"They can't do anything about it now", well no one can do anything about cancer or the obesity epidemic now, does that make it awesome not really

That being said, when they release a t6 carrier with 5 forward weapons and 3 hangar bays I will probably accept flying a fake ship
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited September 2014

This, pretty much. Especially when you're making something in fiction that already has established background and basic rules.
    But their design is far from the only thing that is ludicrous. Another example is the lack of windows. There are living, breathing, sentient beings aboard those, right? So they're telling me the these living beings don't like gazing at the wonders of space and are perfectly content to stay locked in a submarine environment for months, even years in deep space, just because? Are these ships manned by droids?
    And black hull....lol :D Yeah, nothing says "stealth" as black hull......with huge glowing stripes! :rolleyes: That's why the Klingons and Romulans painted all their ships bl.....oh wait! :eek:

Seriosuly, I apreciate the attempt for an explanation, but....lol :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hm, yeah, the explanation is a bit thin.

We made them black so they are thematically hard to see.

Then we added the glowing Tron stripes, because players could not see them anymore. Make up your mind. ;)
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yeah I'm not buying that explanation either. A good attempt though.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter