test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Welcome to the 1 year crafting grind. Let them know what we think.

Comments

• colonelsanderzcolonelsanderz Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    pompouluss wrote: »
    What they want you to do is actually craft stuff to make up the XP difference.

If you focus on a school and craft like a maniac it will actually go faster than it would with just the XP projects. Now, will I craft like a maniac? No. Am I happy about this? No. But I don't know who it serves to just pretend the projects are the only thing you can do with what is supposed to be a CRAFTING system. They want you to craft. Isn't it obvious?

I REFUSE to craft vendor trash items that NO ONE will want, let alone BUY, solely for the purpose of leveling... ESPECIALLY when the CURRENT iteration of the system is NOT complete and is more like a dilithium slot machine and not TRUE crafting.
    ?
  • theuser2021theuser2021 Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    In the past, I would think to myself, "I always liked STO because it wasn't as grindy as other MMOs" Oh irony of ironies.

I mean seriously, I don't know how much I can take, A lot of good things have happened to STO over the years, new ships, new stories, cool new spacedock, ground kits, etc. But, they keep adding incredible grinds to this game! First the incredible grind of leveling a starbase, and then the starbase expansions, then gear that used to drop from missions and STFs became only available from months of reputation grind. And now this! This feels so cruel.

At this point I would give anything for 9.5 to have never happened :(
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If there is any news on Expansion 2 it's gonna be overshadowed by the rage of stuff like this at Vegas.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    pompouluss wrote: »
    What they want you to do is actually craft stuff to make up the XP difference.

If you focus on a school and craft like a maniac it will actually go faster than it would with just the XP projects. Now, will I craft like a maniac? No. Am I happy about this? No. But I don't know who it serves to just pretend the projects are the only thing you can do with what is supposed to be a CRAFTING system. They want you to craft. Isn't it obvious?

What is the point of a level 50 player crafting sub-level 50 gears? It's completely useless. No-one while learning a trade or skill would just continuously make stuff to throw away as they got better via experience = it's a completely dumb system.

As Al Rivera said in the last podcast- it's primary design is just to get you logging into the game - that's it - that and a dilithium and time sink - nothing more.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As Al Rivera said in the last podcast- it's primary design is just to get you logging into the game - that's it - that and a dilithium and time sink - nothing more.
    There are better things to do than this. A huge grind will not make people log more.

Other mmo have a daily/weekly gift. And some of them have an increasing quality gift. Even NWN have it. That's much better, everybody enjoy a gift. Not everyone enjoy a daily grind with a hundreds of days goal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lol man seriously? i wanted to get that omni phaser beam so badly and well i guess im not gonna get it. After hearing this im gonna give up on crafting all together :mad:

I THINK that you couldn't equip it with the Voth AP Omnidirectional Beam Array you got as a quest reward anyway so there was little reason to try to craft in the first place (unless you wanted a weapon type other than AP).

Also, utterly stupid change (yet again) from Cryptic. First they made all lockbox keys Bind on Account over in Neverwinter (WITHOUT WARNING, mind you), then they screwed up 9.5 and badly in STO, and now they made things even worse.

Just such no logic they have.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This is r******d:
    7 schools is too granular, 4 would have been right
    - ship weapons
    - ship systems (shields, deflectors, efc)
    - consoles
    - ground gear (including weapons and kits)
    15 levels is too many, the 4 we had with the commendation system would have worked
    The required XP is excessive (but running multiple missions simultaneously made it almost okay)
    The gambling mechanic meant that I was never going to craft in the system anyway
    The special items, TBH, leave me underwhelmed
    Being unable to slot more than one mission per school will mean that I will stop all together with only one school at level 3 (obviously I was not in a hurry)

All of these reasons to not care and no reason to complete it, oh well, I waste less time on this (and spend less time ingame)
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited July 2014
    I also don't like this change nor do I see the need for it.

Crafting doesn't become more "fun" if it is getting lengthened so much, it's rather getting more frustrating. Especially compared to the otherwise much faster progress in anything else in this game.
    edited July 2014
    Explain to me how making something worse gets more players to log in?
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • firefox3178firefox3178 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Explain to me how making something worse gets more players to log in?

The same logic that says removing content from the game improves said game :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cryptic: If you think the bugs are bad, wait until you see our fixes!
  • sophus84atsophus84at Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    What the Frak?? i mean seriously it takes long enough now to get one school up to lvl 20 as it was... why does cryptic always try to reinvent the wheel... who does this sort of stuff? do the have a magical muffin elf on drugs that thinks out these "masterworks"??

we all thought it was working as intended as it was already taking long as heck... and now this??
    "Mei Borg is net deppat".....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2014
    I can only imagine the rage on ESD.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Y'know, I honestly think that people are going about this all wrong. People aren't taking chances here. They want results fast and right now, which is why they're raging about all of this.

This can be solved by doing one simple thing: stop hording your material for when you get to the very end and start crafting. You say those white Mk X Antiproton Beam Arrays are just vendor trash, but at the same time those are your tickets to getting this done faster.

Think of it this way - if you can blow a few minutes of your time slotting some Beam Arrays of higher quality without spending dil on it, would you rather have about 7-9k XP a day minimum and get that school done in about 2 months per school or would you rather go through the tedious task of 6k a day and getting it done in ~5 months?
    edited July 2014
    Y'know, I honestly think that people are going about this all wrong. People aren't taking chances here. They want results fast and right now, which is why they're raging about all of this.

This can be solved by doing one simple thing: stop hording your material for when you get to the very end and start crafting. You say those white Mk X Antiproton Beam Arrays are just vendor trash, but at the same time those are your tickets to getting this done faster.

Think of it this way - if you can blow a few minutes of your time slotting some Beam Arrays of higher quality without spending dil on it, would you rather have about 7-9k XP a day minimum and get that school done in about 2 months per school or would you rather go through the tedious task of 6k a day and getting it done in ~5 months?

It was still going to take a long time with the current XP method.
  • zztopperszztoppers Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I don't usually comment. However that said: this grind is way to long. And is it worth it??????
    edited July 2014
    zztoppers wrote: »
    I don't usually comment. However that said: this grind is way to long. And is it worth it??????

It was fine in the current state until now..
  • bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I did not thought that crafting was dead at launch but with this, congrats Cryptic you killed it.
    Bridger.png
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    What exactly is the game here? What makes any of this fun to do? What makes any of this enjoyable?

I could poke a hole in a bucket and religiously insert a penny for 233 days to get a silver penny. It is still a penny and it behaves like a penny. It looks like a penny. It acts like a penny. Except it is silver. Not worth the value of silver, mind you. It just looks silver due to a paint job.

I don't notice a difference when I spend that penny. What is the game here?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Just curious If anyone knows but how long does it take to get to level 15?

They did say that getting to 15 was for the casual player and was like a rep, and getting to 20 was for the hardcore. If 15 is still obtainable in say 6-8 weeks then it will at least be in line with what they told us. Is be ok with that. A year is longer than I expected for 20 though. Especially as there are 7 schools.
    edited July 2014
    Just curious If anyone knows but how long does it take to get to level 15?

They did say that getting to 15 was for the casual player and was like a rep, and getting to 20 was for the hardcore. If 15 is still obtainable in say 6-8 weeks then it will at least be in line with what they told us. Is be ok with that. A year is longer than I expected for 20 though. Especially as there are 7 schools.

Without using ANY OTHER CRAFTING to supplement it, it'll take 105 days to reach level 15. That number will drop if you decide to craft higher level items alongside it
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Rabble rabble! *waves pitchfork and torch*

Honestly, this is the first time I can remember actually being angry at Cryptic in the last two years. Nothing else has really bothered me, but this forcing me to spend a year to craft stuff that will be obsolete... I spent $150 on STO in the last month, but this massive reduction in possible advancement is seriously discouraging.
    edited July 2014
    Here is the math for you, from sirboulevard
    If anyone wants the math on this:

2,000,000 EXP per school, 7 schools and 6K daily.

2Mil * 7 = 14,000,000 14Mil/6K = 2333.3 Days or 6.4 Years (aka after STO's 11th Aniversary) 2Mil/6K = 333.33 Days or 11.1 Months to max out ONE school.

Now of course this calculating at only one project slot, but considering the 5th slot doesn't open up until one school is at Lv 15, we're still talking YEARS to max out the system.
    Bridger.png
    edited July 2014
    bridgern wrote: »
    Here is the math for you:

Do any of us think the game will be around for 6.4 years? If so, do any of us think the system will not be obsolete by then?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    It was still going to take a long time with the current XP method.

So does Reputations. So does the DOFFing assignments.

You see, here's the problem - everyone wants the solution NOW. They don't want to work for it, they don't want to expend anything, they want to have it now, for free, with as minimal fuss as it is.

My earlier post was wrong - using Mk X Items would net you 1,800 XP. Supplement it with the 6000 Assignment and the number shoots up. If I play my cards right, I could have 13200 XP per day using a 6k assignment and about 4 Mk X items. Again, if I play my cards right. I'd get done in a little more than a month doing that. But, it requires work.

But, people here don't want work and that's the bad thing.
    edited July 2014
    Why would we want to craft at LV 50 MK VI items.
    Bridger.png
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Without using ANY OTHER CRAFTING to supplement it, it'll take 105 days to reach level 15. That number will drop if you decide to craft higher level items alongside it

I can live with that. I don't mind having long goals to aim for and as long as getting to 15 is not too bad then I'm fine with having long targets to become an expert. Clicking a few buttons is about as easy a grind as I could expect. I've been grinding starbases for 2 years and they actually take some work.
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Pressing three buttons once a day is hardly a grind. It's a wait.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
    edited July 2014
    walshicus wrote: »
    It's a wait.

For what exactly?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2014
    So does Reputations. So does the DOFFing assignments.

You see, here's the problem - everyone wants the solution NOW. They don't want to work for it, they don't want to expend anything, they want to have it now, for free, with as minimal fuss as it is.

My earlier post was wrong - using Mk X Items would net you 1,800 XP. Supplement it with the 6000 Assignment and the number shoots up. If I play my cards right, I could have 13200 XP per day using a 6k assignment and about 4 Mk X items. Again, if I play my cards right. I'd get done in a little more than a month doing that. But, it requires work.

But, people here don't want work and that's the bad thing.

If I wanted it now...I would be saying the current wait is too long..The current time it would take with the xp values we have now would be fine..I t would still take many months..You cannot give me a valid reason how that is wanting it now considering we get reps faster....
  • jakal122481jakal122481 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    star trek online the rich and famous is the name of this game :D