test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Welcome to the 1 year crafting grind. Let them know what we think.

Comments

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So, 13 days or so until you're able to crank out 2400 XP an hour doing Mk VI's...so you'd get 8400 a "cycle", cutting it down to 66 cycles from 92 cycles. You'll be using Common/Uncommon mats to do so.

If you went with Mk VIII's or Mk X's using Rare mats, say the Mk X's and you skipped doing Research Projects in other schools...slotting one Research Project and 3x Mk X projects (3 hour CD with 1800 XP), you'd be looking at 11400 XP a "cycle". So you'd be looking at ~49 more cycles instead of the 66 or 92...but you're using up Rare mats (which you got screwed over on the conversion with the Particle Traces).
  • yamato4745yamato4745 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    One of the replies mentioned a dilithium event this weekend. is it me, or am I wrong in suspecting that they will set this back to how this is now once the event is over. either way, it still stinks.:mad:
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This game is so hardcore!

You actually have to poosh butan to get things done!

Woe is us!!
  • grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Cryptic/Perfect World Entertainment I love you, I spend money on this game just spent $50 today but honestly you need to take this patch off and write this one off as a business loss. Working as intended or not it was released as such and should be kept as such.

The entire community felt it was perfect the way it was. Level 20 was already enough of a real time constraint for all schools but this...this really turned me off, and now I need to rethink this whole crafting thing.

Personally, I think some folks got wind of fleets already setting up master crafters for specific schools to craft for fleet members...there goes that idea out the window...
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Really? Really? Really??????

THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA.
  • john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The 20 hours need to be changed back to the 10k XP they originally where and left so you can slot 5 from one school if you damn well please. This crafting system is tedious and boring and this patch just makes it even worse. Stop trying to force us into year long grinds just to cover for your lack of willingness to design good, difficult, content. Whoever came up with all this has there head wedged tightly up there back side, as does anyone who chooses to participate in this farce of a crafting system.
    edited July 2014
    1. Add new currency
    2. Nerf the rest
    3. ???
    4. Profit!
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,536 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Really? Really? Really??????

THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA.

I love it when you're happy! :P
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
    edited July 2014
    I love it when you're happy! :P

You and everyone else. :mad:
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The problem isn't the multiple research projects, it's that the research projects take too damn long. Cryptic should make a compromise and reduce the time from 20 hrs to 10 hrs and keep the dilithium rush cost the same.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    wow this is evil
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited July 2014
    Introducing crafting ... because fleet holdings were too easy! (TM) Cryptic
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,536 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This makes me glad I gave up on crafting with the new craptacular DOff/crafting UI. I also gave up on DOff'ing as well because the UI is just too bloated, large, and and serious degradation of what we previously had.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • lamyrslamyrs Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think we have the world longuest crafting system here :D
    I am from Belgium and english isn't my main language, sorry if I make mistakes.
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So, 13 days or so until you're able to crank out 2400 XP an hour doing Mk VI's...so you'd get 8400 a "cycle", cutting it down to 66 cycles from 92 cycles. You'll be using Common/Uncommon mats to do so.

If you went with Mk VIII's or Mk X's using Rare mats, say the Mk X's and you skipped doing Research Projects in other schools...slotting one Research Project and 3x Mk X projects (3 hour CD with 1800 XP), you'd be looking at 11400 XP a "cycle". So you'd be looking at ~49 more cycles instead of the 66 or 92...but you're using up Rare mats (which you got screwed over on the conversion with the Particle Traces).

Or, for leveling with crafting, using mk 6, I picked ground weapons for example, you need to make 1,050 ground weapons (any type, they all take the same items and give the same xp). To do so, you would need to gather the following:

Magnesite (common) 3,150
    Hydrazine gas (common) 2,100
    tritanium (uncommon) 6,300
    Verteron particles (uncommon) 4,200
    Hexafluorine gas (uncommon) 12,600
    Thoron particles (uncommon) 12,600

Again, that is for ground weapons. Have fun finding all of that, put the best way would to probably be find the story missions that have those materials in them, since I don't think the type of materials change.

As bad as waiting 105 days per school is, that material list is worst. Between the two, I'll wait.

Cryptic has made their decision, and after my initial rage, well, doubt they are going to change it. All that's left is to deal.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • rankin0bassrankin0bass Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    dark4blood wrote: »
    The new Cryptic NERF bat came out this patch, and it basically brings crafting to a halt. My question is, why is Cryptic so fast on nerfing instead of at least LISTING game breaking bugs. We still have the BOFF ship removal issue when you beam into some STO maps, we still have the dilithium stuck on market issues, and the exchange is a buggy/slow mess, but they are not even listed as KNOWN problems.

Yet when 300+ people max out their crafting in the first 3 days by paying dilthium, they see an opportunity to "help" the others who wanted to progress normally do the spend the same. Then there are the nerfs of the Xindi Lockbox traits and BOFF powers, man I feel sorry for those who spent all that zen just to have them nerfed 2 days later.

The people who maxed out crafting would still be able to do so after this "fix". It doesn't matter how many missions you run at once if you're hammering the "finish now" button.

All this does is hamper casual play and does nothing to slow down more hardcore players.

Also, the critical success needs to add a few thousand more XP, getting 7k instead of 6k is not exactly a "critical success", more like "earned a gold star".
  • commodoreshrvkcommodoreshrvk Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Being able to slot three after one gameplay session was good and probably the last thing that kept this system viable. You change it to one and you have returned this system to being DOA. What is the goal here? To waste time and $$$ making a system that you know will fail so you can say we don't need to invest in crafting because no one uses it??? or Make a usable, crafting system in the first place. I am completely confused by this. It will not change the people who do the "cash out" because they will just constantly load the one mission and buy out of it. This change seems unnecessarily punitive.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    malkarris wrote: »
    ...the mats...

Nah, nah...see while all the folks are focusing on the Dil for speeding things up - Cryptic knows it's going to be that with the folks buying the R&D Packs.

Cryptic has researched and developed new ways to make money...R&D. ;)
  • heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
    edited July 2014
    Welp, there goes any interest I had in the crafting system. It seems that only the derelicts who spent 2m dilithium will get to see any benefit from it.
    I AM WAR.
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The entire crafting system is terribly designed.

The Components first off, what actual purpose, beyond adding clicks, do these add I must ask? They don't have an opportunity cost in slots or time because they only take a few seconds. A better system would have these components take quite a bit of time (1 to 4 hours per) and still offer a good amount of EXP. This would introduce a middle man crafter option for the market and allow casuals to simply build components to sell on the exchange to those others who have the high quality doffs and max crafting skill to create the actual items to sell.

The research option is stupid cost effective. Honestly it is too effective in a resource to EXP conversion. But the fix is not a limit of one. It is to apply a reasonable resource cost to them.

I am not going to log in every single hour to fill up slots, be it via gateway nor the actual client. Nor do we need another grind similar in length to starbases that only offers side-upgrade traits and gear.

I just got done listening to CtC talking about the Doff UI and was actually semi excited and happy with the future improvements that would hopefully be on their way. Then I read about this. Ugh.

Stop releasing things before they are ready! Ensure every component of the system actually serves a freaking purpose. Stop trying to make every part of every release appeal to every type of player! Instead make a part of every release appeal to the various player types. Stop half assing it with every release. On that note where are my daily mark box cooldowns? Will those ever be displayed anywhere by chance?

The old console doff crafting, while extremely crude in it's implementation had brilliant design concepts that appealed and benefited a variety of player types. Casual and Hardcore. It even fit the F2P model of Time VS Money. An extremely basic concept. And now it is completely forgotten upon the drawing board.

Yes this is more rant then feedback. That's what happens when a customer has a bit of emotional investment in a product and the developer does something disagreeable. And believe it or not that emotional investment is something most companies desperately attempt to gain from their customers.

Bah.
  • cwrichesonzenocwrichesonzeno Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If the company's goal is to sell items to allow me to more easily craft end-game items, then I don't understand why the company is further pushing out the time it takes to reach this point. It seems counter to everyone's interests to so substantially delay players from reaching a higher rank in a single school. In fact, allowing early specialization in one school seems to be to everyone's benefit as it allows a trickle of specialization that results in ongoing demand over a lengthy time.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    bareel wrote: »
    The Components first off, what actual purpose, beyond adding clicks, do these add I must ask? They don't have an opportunity cost in slots or time because they only take a few seconds. A better system would have these components take quite a bit of time (1 to 4 hours per) and still offer a good amount of EXP. This would introduce a middle man crafter option for the market and allow casuals to simply build components to sell on the exchange to those others who have the high quality doffs and max crafting skill to create the actual items to sell.

I personally find it insulting that they differentiate common vs uncommon item crafting by making one take 5 secs vs 15 secs for a pittance of XP. Really? You're going to time gate me like that after I have to click and scroll over and over through a horrible UI just to get one part?
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm...honestly not even surprised at this point.

Over 2 months (presuming you have all 5 slots on it) to get from 0 to 20 was long, but reasonable.

Over 3 months (only using 1 slot per school) to only get 15, and nearly a YEAR for 20? That's just ridiculous.

And they didn't even increase the xp per mission or anything.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    meh.
    short term its a niggle, long term its a zero sum game sine in the end, it still takes the same amount of time to hit lvl15 in all schools.

my only REAL concern, is that with all these time gated systems, its going to prove a much higher leveling curve for new players than the established ones.

just imagine being a fresh 50 again, with no gear, no rep and no dil, and having all these time gated hurdles to go through all at once.

Here's the kicker: it less time to run all of the Reputations sequentially than it does to finish one crafting category!
  • sabrevt1100sabrevt1100 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I had decided to give the new system a chance for crafting. Never messed with it under the old system. Guess this latest grind out pretty much kills my interest in attempting it under the new system. I've been playing this since March 2010. It used to be fun if a bit repetitious. I'm kind of thinking it isn't as fun anymore. I'll keep playing because I love Trek but I don't know that I'll do crafting. That's really a shame because I was really thinking about trying it. I think I'll see what I can get for all the stuff I converted from the old traces on the exchange.
    "Bite Me! It's Fun." - Crow T. Robot
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    If the company's goal is to sell items to allow me to more easily craft end-game items, then I don't understand why the company is further pushing out the time it takes to reach this point. It seems counter to everyone's interests to so substantially delay players from reaching a higher rank in a single school. In fact, allowing early specialization in one school seems to be to everyone's benefit as it allows a trickle of specialization that results in ongoing demand over a lengthy time.

Accolade: Completed all crafting schools (Arriving 2017 if the game is still around then)
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    puttenham wrote: »
    yes, but this is leaps and bounds different in scope of how it effects the masses. one just made a slight inconvenience that really didn't effect too much..

this change makes it so it takes longer to level crafting than it does any rep in the game.. and ill say this, i just barely made it to maxing out my rep on one character.. im only entertained by a carrot on a stick for so long before i move on..

Plus didn't the devs mention that a school was supposed take about the same time as a reputation to complete?
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Here's the kicker: it less time to run all of the Reputations sequentially than it does to finish one crafting category!

I sure am having an enjoyable time latching onto the Boatswain Whistle addition to the queue pop-up windows as the only great thing about Season 9.5 that I love and adore.

I wonder how the dev team feels about creating something for the game that won't be fully enjoyed for a year or more.

Not to mention the bugs in said system that won't be discovered for a year or more. And won't be fixed until after people start unlocking said parts of the system in a year or more.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • galadimangaladiman Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm wholly against this move. Grind plus power creep. Not in favor.
    Please reconsider ARC. Please make it optional, at the least. PLEASE.
    It seems the vast majority of your most active players (forum regulars) hate the idea... and while that's a small subset of the playerbase, I think it's an important constituency.
    THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT THIS.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Do not add this change, Cryptic! You are going to kill the system!
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png