test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Welcome to the 1 year crafting grind. Let them know what we think.

Comments

• fakefivefakefive Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Granted, the time/dil gate is terribad.
    What I find the most amusing about the entire scenario though is that at least Half of the naysayers to the crafting system on these forums are rapidly on their way maxing out their various crafting levels while drafting these comments.
    (first)

That way they can sell the beams 'n whatnot upwards of 200 million ec.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Think all in all crafting revamp is a solid addition to sto. The pay dil button is a bit ridiculous for me personally but that should everybody decides for himself. As far as I am concerned I don’t mind a long term advancement system like the doff one. It does not need much effort either.

The one and only thing I’m a bit disappointed in is the fact that they removed the ability to concentrate the XP advancement projects in one discipline. Players who run this game enthusiastically for years and demonstrate that by running multiple alts should be encouraged further and not limited.

I am greatfull for the effort the devs have put into 9.5. I think it’s a cool addition and much more appreciated one than yet another reput system with a “daily grind” involved if it is to be maxed out on multiple toons.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Since I just read some posts about the time gating and the dil "Pay your way," I have to say 18k dil for a 20 hour project is ridiculously high. I can see 7-8k since 8 is the max we can refine on one character a day under most circumstances (Yes, I know about the Fleet Mine and the LTS benefit). I know they are looking to control the gain from those projects, but 18k is just screaming DON'T GO FASTER! I do feel bad for the whales that dropped all that real cash just to get ahead on the R&D system. Sorry, but there is no way many of us are dropping 50m on one of those Omni directional beams. Just not worth it.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • adorenkoadorenko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Crafting is dead again!!! I'm sure its been mentioned in this thread already but crafting has turned into to another cash grab. The change made to prevent you from running more than one of the same school type project is a joke. But no one is laughing about it. They must have looked at the metrics and didn't see enough dilithium being spent or zen being spent on the new R&D boxes.

Good job Cryptic, you really screwed the pouch on this one!!It would be nice to get something for FREE in this game, well I guess I can get it for free I just have to wait for year to get my skill up.

not really :mad::mad:
    Looking for more info on Dilithium Rising? Click on the link below:

[SIGPIC]Click here to visit my STO YouTube channel[/SIGPIC]
  • mal00mal00 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Not sure why people are saying 6.4 years to level all 7 schools to 20 as you unlock slot 2 on reaching lvl 2 and slot 3 at lvl 5 on one school, slot 4 at 3 schools getting to lvl 5 and slot 5 on getting to lvl 15 at most your looking at around 2 years to max all 7 schools, assuming you don't actually do any crafting and you don't want to spend dil and get no critical successes and you log on daily.

To reach lvl 15 on all seven schools to unlock all craftable items and traits will take around 200 days again assuming you don't actually do any crafting and no crits.

Even at lvl 7 when crafting lvl 6 items for exp you will get blue or purple items (white and greens are vendor trash) around half the time which can still sell on the exchange for around 20-500k ec, the exp project crits 39% at this lvl (if your using a purple doff),

I don't really understand all the rage at the new crafting system with some saying they will quit playing. If you don't like it you don't have to do it, and any crafting material you get from mission rewards you can sell on the exchange as an additional ec source. You can get 1-5 k for each white or green material and around 15-25k for blue and 100k+ for purple,

There also no need to do it on multiple toons as crafted items are bind on equip unless you want to unlock the trait for that school or if your are preping you toons for advanced schools.

However I do feel that they should increase the exp reward from 6k to maybe 10k and crit from 7k to 12/13k, another solution could also be adding a 1hr exp project which give 1k exp to alleviate all the people who don't want to craft items for exp
  • x10110100x10110100 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mal00 wrote: »
    Not sure why people are saying 6.4 years to level all 7 schools to 20 as you unlock slot 2 on reaching lvl 2 and slot 3 at lvl 5 on one school, slot 4 at 3 schools getting to lvl 5 and slot 5 on getting to lvl 15 at most your looking at around 2 years to max all 7 schools, assuming you don't actually do any crafting and you don't want to spend dil and get no critical successes and you log on daily.

Oh, only 2 years of logging in daily... wow that's awesome, hear that guys we can all rejoice it's only 2 years!!!1!!

/sarcasm
    edited July 2014
    x10110100 wrote: »
    Oh, only 2 years of logging in daily... wow that's awesome, hear that guys we can all rejoice it's only 2 years!!!1!!

/sarcasm

If you read paragraph 2 of my post then you will realise that you only need to get to lvl 15 to unlock everything in all 7 schools, which will take around 200 days if you don't crit or craft (this drops to around 150-180days if you crit), if you do a moderate amount of crafting you can cut this time by half if not more. That's 2 year to max out all 7 schools (lvl 20) you don't need to max out each school.

I also suggested that the dev's increase the amount of exp earned for the research project.

They do need to make it so we can make stacks of components rather then 1 at a time.
    edited July 2014
    They do need to make it so we can make stacks of components rather then 1 at a time.

No no, that would cut into their profit margins. I'm sorry sir but you'll have to come back in an hour and resubmit that request. Have a nice :D

• ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I want cryptic to know that this thread doesn't represent the entire STO community. This thread boils down to one thing. These players are impatient and don't want to wait for the ability to create max level gear so they can start overcharging for it on the exchange. Nor do they want to spend dilithium to make it go faster. Instant gratification is all they desire.

For me, the change is a good ones and one that common sense says was supposed to be there in the first place. And when you think about it, the timeframe for completion is roughly equivalent to what it takes the average player (one who has a job and a life outside this game) to complete the story from beginning to end and max out their character. I don't see this as a grind, I see it as a new way to get the items I want at each level of a new character without having to spend ec at the mob bank that is the exchange, or hoping to get it from enemy drops. So now, not only do I have a real reason to start up a brand new character, I have a reason to do stfs again on my old one.
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If you read paragraph 2 of my post then you will realise that you only need to get to lvl 15 to unlock everything in all 7 schools, which will take around 200 days if you don't crit or craft (this drops to around 150-180days if you crit), if you do a moderate amount of crafting you can cut this time by half if not more. That's 2 year to max out all 7 schools (lvl 20) you don't need to max out each school.

I also suggested that the dev's increase the amount of exp earned for the research project.

I don't understand your math.

Getting to level 15 in just one school takes 100+ assignments(personally I think the crit mechanic is broken - I am at LvL 6 in one school use a purple doff and have gotten none yet)

so you open the second slot at lvl 2 and can start another - then another slot at lvl 4 and a 4th slot when 3 schools make it to lvl 5

all and all after 150 days you should have 3 schools to level 15 and another one half way

I don't see the math of how to get all schools to level 15 in just 200 days??

And of course lvl 15 is so far far below lvl 20 - which you have to reach 2 million plus Xp

so to go from 650k xp to 2 million takes 1 year+++

So to max out all schools to level 20 WOULD take more than 2 years - TWO FREAKING years - every day of your life(or NON-LIFE) to level up crafting to max is not reasonable.

The current system is a failure - it needs some major tweeking.

We need - more XP per assignment

We need to be able to craft stuff - good useable stuff for Level 50 toons right from the beginning. Crafting Vendor trash for weeks is not acceptable to most people - if it was - no-one would be able to sell anything as the exchange would be flooded with low end gear.

No the current system will not succeed.
    edited July 2014
    ghyudt wrote: »
    I want cryptic to know that this thread doesn't represent the entire STO community. This thread boils down to one thing. These players are impatient and don't want to wait for the ability to create max level gear so they can start overcharging for it on the exchange. Nor do they want to spend dilithium to make it go faster. Instant gratification is all they desire.

For me, the change is a good ones and one that common sense says was supposed to be there in the first place. And when you think about it, the timeframe for completion is roughly equivalent to what it takes the average player (one who has a job and a life outside this game) to complete the story from beginning to end and max out their character. I don't see this as a grind, I see it as a new way to get the items I want at each level of a new character without having to spend ec at the mob bank that is the exchange, or hoping to get it from enemy drops. So now, not only do I have a real reason to start up a brand new character, I have a reason to do stfs again on my old one.

Ok no fair Cryptic employee, making a fake account to bump the other side. By the way your about the only one.

• spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited July 2014

To me I hear one thing - I spent 1.9 million dilithium on getting a school to Lvl 15 and don't want too much competition for me selling $100 million EC Omni beams??

Your case makes Zero logic - if someone has a "Life/Job" and was only to do this a few times per week it would take 3 to 5+ years!! to level up crafting - and you say this is what it takes for that player to complete the games story content?? I think you are posting in the wrong game forums - even if you only did one story mission a week it would not take you years to level a character to max.

So I default back to - you rushed the "pay to win" button and want to hold a monopoly for as long as possible.
    edited July 2014
    To me I hear one thing - I spent 1.9 million dilithium on getting a school to Lvl 15 and don't want too much competition for me selling $100 million EC Omni beams??

Your case makes Zero logic - if someone has a "Life/Job" and was only to do this a few times per week it would take 3 to 5+ years!! to level up crafting - and you say this is what it takes for that player to complete the games story content?? I think you are posting in the wrong game forums - even if you only did one story mission a week it would not take you years to level a character to max.

So I default back to - you rushed the "pay to win" button and want to hold a monopoly for as long as possible.

Yep that sounds about right.

• ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Do you even realize how long of a wait it was with the previous time tables? You do realize that the market is being overcharged right now? The few elite rich or exploiters have the market at their mercy. Go check the ultra-rare prices if you don't believe me.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
    edited July 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Do you even realize how long of a wait it was with the previous time tables? You do realize that the market is being overcharged right now? The few elite rich or exploiters have the market at their mercy. Go check the ultra-rare prices if you don't believe me.

Oh he knows, he knows. He's one the people doing it right now!!

• walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    I've come to the conclusion that selling blue components and *maybe* a few purples (god forbid) on the exchange is the only way to make something of this mess. So, in a matter of speaking, I have been crafting. For profit. I mean, I still run STFs and I'm finishing off my 8472 rep, so I might as well make a few bucks of the side, right?

As far as actually leveling goes...seriously even if I had the DIL it costs I STILL wouldn't do it purely out of principle.

So you're engaging with the system and profiting then? Sounds like a win.

Crafting should be about creating an ecosystem and clearly it's done that for you. Some people sell raw materials. Other people sell components. Some sell useful DOFFs. A few sell finalised items. Win.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Make no mistake, crafting is ONLY for big dil spenders.

That's evidently not true, since daqhegh (and others I'm sure) hasn't put any dilithium into the system and is using it to make money selling components.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
    edited July 2014
    adorenko wrote: »
    Ok no fair Cryptic employee, making a fake account to bump the other side. By the way your about the only one.

You have been really unlucky with the crits, I've critted 3 times,

You want some math's then fine

650000/6000=108.3 round up to 109, assuming no crits.

Slot 1 School 1 - 109 day to 15 - School 6 day 218 to 15
    Slot 2 unlock on day 2, School 2 day 110 to 15, School 7 day 219 to 15
    Slot 3 unlock on day 5, School 3 day 114 to 15
    Slot 4 unlock on day 13, School 4 day 122 to 15
    Slot 5 unlock on day 109 School 5 day 218 to 15

Somebody else has already done the calculation for the day when each slot gets unlocked earlier in this thread.

That's why I suggested that the exp reward should be increased to 10k, then it will come down to 65 days to lvl 15 one school for people to lazy to craft. Which is a bit more reasonable.
  • lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Plz share what you are smoking...You do realize that you can level a player from 1-50 in a weekend if it is double XP. Without double xp, maybe a week and that is maybe playing 1-3 hours a day. Next with the sponsorship tokens, you can do Rep in 3 weeks and 625 Marks. That is 4 weeks and you are full rep and max level. Now it may take another month to do enough to gear your alt but it doesn't certainly take 11 months even 6 months.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This sums up STO Crafting here
    HzLLhLB.gif

• lordkasulordkasu Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited July 2014

The quoted post operates on the assumption that one of the devs had not specifically said that the time to complete one school was to be comparable to completing a single rep to 5. However, a Dev did in fact say that, which indicates that everything was working as intended before the Nerf.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    adorenko wrote: »
    Oh he knows, he knows. He's one the people doing it right now!!

I was thinking about that. The only people I could see supporting this are either very ignorant, or they want to keep their hold on the market for as long as possible.

I see Omni-beams going for as much as 80-100m.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Captains,

The tone of some of the posts in this thread are starting to edge into Flaming/Trolling territory.

Please don't.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Captains,

The tone of some of the posts in this thread are starting to edge into Flaming/Trolling territory.

Please don't.

Constructive feedback is ignored.
    Flaming/Trolling feedback at least gets a response.

It's along the lines of the child that acts out, not saying that we're children or anything of the sort - simply making the analogy of the child that acts out because it's the only time the child gets any attention. The child gets attention from their negative behavior, they attach the value to themselves that comes along with that.

So the only way to feel that one matters to Cryptic is to get warnings, violations, temporary bans, and permanent bans from going off the deep end...cause otherwise, one is just ignored. The only attention comes from behaving badly...

...and that's sad.
  • olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Captains,

Please don't.

The previous poster does have a point. It's been a couple of days and no word from them on if they would like to work this out with the player base. You can only ignore people so long till tempers start to flare. I understand there are rules here.

Still, if you don't "answer your phone" for 2 days while you are a business, people start to wonder if you even care.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, wasn't a case of condoning it...trying to rationalize it...just looking at a possible reason behind some of it. Heh, I may have thought about going with a Guy Fawkes avatar...but haven't gotten there yet. ;)
    edited July 2014
    I was actually referring more to the player vs player byplay.

If you're operating a nightclub, patrons fighting each other in the foyer is not good for business. Similar principle here.

And this is the last time you will ever hear me identify with a bouncer. :)

I would submit that getting yourself banned does not get you any Dev attention. What you get, essentially, is attention from a volunteer with no direct line to the Devs and a CM who doesn't have the time to deal with you.

But yeah, a little ranting and raving here and there... s'all fine if you don't cross the line.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    edited July 2014
    And this is the last time you will ever hear me identify with a bouncer. :)

Nope, nope, nope...too late. A certain club on a certain map is going to end up with a bouncer named bluegeek. ;)
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Nope, nope, nope...too late. A certain club on a certain map is going to end up with a bouncer named bluegeek. ;)

I like that idea.

I vote for Bouncer Bluegeek.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
    edited July 2014

Okay... just make sure he's pale, unathletic-looking, and completely non-threatening. And blue.