What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 9 Dev Blog #29 - Exploration Cluster Removal

Comments

• Options
    dessniperdessniper Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Because the majority of players post on the forums? Hrmmm...might want to reconsider that. I don't claim to be in the majority, because there's no way for me to tell - nor is there any way for you to tell. Cryptic has the information they did and acted upon it...they'll have to deal with any consequences if it goes horribly wrong.

Clearly with 11,000+ posts you clearly know the player base far better then anyone and cryptics inner workings. Would you care to enlighten us with the fore told knowledge of such changes. *pulls up chair, grabs popcorn*
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've never seen so much melodramatic complaints and hyperbole...it's like a cliche omgherd tween TV show.

Said the guy with some absurd aversion to pickles & Exploration Clusters ... "Omg the Exploration Cluster, touched my Sirius Sector Block, now it's ruined, I can never go back there ..."
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    dessniper wrote: »
    Clearly with 11,000+ posts you clearly know the player base far better then anyone and cryptics inner workings. Would you care to enlighten us with the fore told knowledge of such changes. *pulls up chair, grabs popcorn*

Which part of the majority of players likely don't hit the forums did you miss...and thus...I'd have no knowledge of what they think or feel since it hasn't been shared? As for Cryptic's inner workings - not a current employee, not a former employee - no friends/relatives that work there - no idea about any of their inner workings outside of what they've shared...which uh...by the way, they have shared their reasons for removing the clusters. We're discussing it in the very thread for that dev blog. Curious, eh?
    Said the guy with some absurd aversion to pickles

So I say something makes me physically ill...not deathly ill...but physically ill, and your response is it is an absurd aversion? Curious...
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    So I say something makes me physically ill...not deathly ill...but physically ill, and your response is it is an absurd aversion? Curious...

If you're not allergic, and there is no other medical reason ... that's the textbook definition of absurd aversion (or even phobia) ... same with Exploration Cluster ...

... besides with Pickle-phobia you're basically afraid of Water & Vinegar ... let's hope for your sake, you never used any of them ... :P ... if it's the first I'd suggest to remove all Water from planet Earth ... this way you could also stop anyone from producing Vinegar ...
  • Options
    millybunmillybun Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I don't like pickles. Many places when you order a sandwich or burger with fries to go, they'll put a pickle in the to-go container. I really don't like pickles. Odds are, if there's a pickle there and I don't see it before I leave - I'll either ask somebody if they want it or I'll just toss it in the garbage.

Removing the pickle...is an example of removing something and improving it.

The "content" that Cryptic is removing, is like a whole jar of pickles to me...and...I'm happy to see it go.

Would I mind something being added? No doubt, would be great. But yeah, the pickle needs to go.
    It doesn't work that way. I don't remove the pickle. I toss the box. I don't like pickles. I despise them. The mere presence of them in the box is enough for me to toss the box. I don't want the scent of them anywhere near what I'm about to eat...much less the possibility any pickle juice has spread to any of the food items in the container.

*snip*

Think I'll stop with the pickle analogy - it's not going well for me physically.

The pickle/sandwich analogy isn't apt in this case anyway.

What you're saying is *you* despise the..."pickle"...exploration content in the form of Star Clusters.

Star Cluster content *doesn't* currently "leak" all juicy-like into other content, you can avoid it so completely as to never know it was even there to begin with.

Sure, maybe you've picked up a Star Cluster-related mission at one point, but you don't have to do it, you might even be able to drop it! Or if not (for some bug-laden reason), then just go on ignoring it. It literally can't hurt you. You can't taste it, you can't smell it, you can avoid gazing upon it completely. It won't give you an allergic reaction. It can't make you physically ill.

As others have mentioned, you can order a sandwich without pickles in it explicitly at a deli, for instance. But while you may order a sandwich without pickles, others may want and *will* get the pickles.

So in relating to the removal of Star Cluster content, no one of us partaking of STO has a choice in the matter one way or the other on an individual basis. We can't choose to continue enjoying Star Cluster content if we want to. The "pickle" has been wiped from existence. *You* may like that, but the people who want an order *with* the "pickle" would not.

As a deli wouldn't straight up stop serving pickles completely from here on out when they did originally (wouldn't be a very good sandwich deli if they didn't have pickles), not apt at all.

Just to keep going with the "pickle" theme anyway...

If the "pickle" is bad and people complain, wanting better "pickles," then perhaps instead of flat out removing "pickles," the "deli" should instead replace it with better "pickles." But that's not what's happening here. We aren't getting a replacement, and people still like the current "pickles" that are being completely removed.

It's one thing if a new "pickle" is announced to replace the old "pickle," but instead we can look forward to a future where people who like "pickles" can no longer enjoy "pickles."
  • Options
    dessniperdessniper Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
  • Options
    bazagbazag Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've thought about this, some and while I am neither particularly for or against here are a few things to consider.

1. If the star clusters were kept the devs would have to go into every single map and update the nodes. A lot of work for little gain.

2. In the end there are plenty of ways for people to get dilithium 1440 once per day from the Star Clusters in the end isn't a major problem. The biggest dililthium hurdle has always been the 8K refining limit. Sure there is the SFA Veteran and the Fleet mine DOFF assignments to refine additional but even that is limited.

3. Outside all of the rewards. Was the content fun? This is a question that everyone has to answer for themselves. For me, no.

4. A dry piece of bread is still a piece of bread but at some point you have to ask is it worth it to keep it? Even if we have nothing to immediately to replace it with?

5. What functionality are we maintaining into the new system? They are keeping the DOFF functionality the same or improving it, they are keeping crafting materials accessible but we are not keeping the Fly around in space instances or the mission instances of the Star clusters. What we are getting however is hooking up the star clusters into the foundry. Something that foundry authors have been asking for for some time. Is replacing foundry missions with the old star cluster worth it? That's for each person to decide but I'd say that initially not as there would be no, or extremely limited,foundry missions that use these doors but the worth would grow as foundry missions that use these doors grow.

6. Exploration. Star Trek is known for it's going boldly where no one has gone before. However, what exploration was there? Exploration is about dealing with the unknown. Reacting to it and learning from it. From strange finds, to civilisations to threats that may be encountered. What learning do we actually do? What is in these that is actually exploration?

So what does all this mean? Well, I'll leave you to answer that. This is everything that I can think of how the new system would affect how we play the game.
  • Options
    yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Congratulations Cryptic for removing the last hint of what Star Trek is about, exploration.

And BTW, i have another game mode that isn't up to Cryptics standards: PvP. :D
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • Options
    eurrsk47eurrsk47 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Rather disappointed about the removal of exploration clusters from the game... :/ It's nice that it will be opened for Foundry editors/players, however completely removing these cluster missions takes away:

- Diplomatic Investigations
    - First Contact Missions
    - Dilithium/expertise rewards from Non-Combat/Combat exploration encounters
    - Exploring randomly generated maps
    (Which some I've are quite stunning and beautiful).

It will take away the small immersive experience that genuinely made it like Trek. Exploration is such huge aspect of the Star trek philosophy: "to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before." The decision to remove exploration missions is rather unnecessary, since keeping these missions can be used as a stepping stone for further development and revamping of exploration in the future. <3

If the devs plan on revamping exploration, they better make it a much more immersive and in-depth system! Look at all the other games out there! Look at the competition of other big games coming out that involves exploration. Maybe a thing or two can be learned from these, and help inspire and develop a much better experience for our fellow explorers.

Make exploration BIG!! :cool:

Take a look at No Man's Sky a science-fiction game about exploration and survival in an infinite procedurally generated universe.

Or even Planet Explorers!

Or even EVE Online's beautifully vast cosmic space! They even have wormholes!

Just even look at the Star Trek universe! It's HUGE!! Make it so, PWE!
    Live Long and Prosper!
    Or Die Trying!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ==== Try my new Foundry Mission: "Operation Demon Storm" ====
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    eurrsk47 wrote: »
    Make exploration BIG!! :cool:

Take a look at No Man's Sky a science-fiction game about exploration and survival in an infinite procedurally generated universe.

Or even Planet Explorers!

Or even EVE Online's beautifully vast cosmic space! They even have wormholes!

Just even look at the Star Trek universe! It's HUGE!! Make it so, PWE!

At this point I'd settle for "Birth of the Federation" - Exploration ... ;)
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    fireseeed wrote: »
    or they could have spent their time improving the exploration content, tidying up the levels, adapting the stories to make more sense, adding depth with new missions that link together with you having to visit multiple planers, something I think most players would want rather than spending their time adding a new crafting system, no one wanted and no one was demanding and almost everyone hates already.
    They could do that, but then that would be their task for the next 3 years or so, ifnot far more, if they hope to make a dent into the existing exploration missions.

In a new season, they can touch up what - 3-5 missions, plus create another 3-5 unique missions or zones.

Even if there are only 100 missions in the Exploration Sectors, that would mean the next 10 seasons or so they'd be busy retouching exploration missions. And doing nothing else. No featured episodes, no reputations, just retouching exploration missions.

It may be better to create a new system and start from scratch.

And I think Foundry missions are more than adequate replacement for the existing exploration missions. Sure, the Foundry doesn't give players all the options the developers have when making a new mission, but the exploration missions are even more constrained, since they all follow a set of basic templates.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    AFKers will get slapped with a penalty. That's okay. I think we're getting angry about nothing, as usual. This is just the calm before the storm - I bet there's something larger on the horizon.

DOOOOOOOOOOOM ....
    Anyway, seriously, i have a feeling the Delta Quadrant is on the horizon... we'll say bye bye to Gorgans and welcome to Ocampa and Talaxians.
    Something like " explore the strange new Delta Quadrant " , something on the line of the series centred on a certain ship who's said it'll be revamped perhaps and maybe ;-)
    There's coffee on the upper right portion of the map.
    P58WJe7.jpg

• Options
    caltircaltir Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    saedeith wrote: »
    I just don't see how removing the cluster mat farm and daily improves the quality if the game when there is no replacement.

Precisely my thought. Nothing is never better than something, even if limited. Unless one is an obnoxious eugenics enthusiast.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    They could do that, but then that would be their task for the next 3 years or so, ifnot far more, if they hope to make a dent into the existing exploration missions.

In a new season, they can touch up what - 3-5 missions, plus create another 3-5 unique missions or zones.

Even if there are only 100 missions in the Exploration Sectors, that would mean the next 10 seasons or so they'd be busy retouching exploration missions. And doing nothing else. No featured episodes, no reputations, just retouching exploration missions.

It may be better to create a new system and start from scratch.

And I think Foundry missions are more than adequate replacement for the existing exploration missions. Sure, the Foundry doesn't give players all the options the developers have when making a new mission, but the exploration missions are even more constrained, since they all follow a set of basic templates.
    They could have gone the easier way, by releasing more and more mission variables (more things that could happen while a mission is running) and more basic missions to the old Exploration missions.
    I think that would have been way better than just throw them into the garbage can.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    larkkylarkky Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I confess to not having read through all 250 comments on this thread and I'm sure my remarks here will echo others who commented before me but perhaps repetition will help drive the point home.

I can appreciate and agree that the current exploration content is inadequate. However, to remove it entirely without a suitable replacement, is to gut this game of anything resembling what lies at the core of good Trek story telling: Giving the audience or in this case, your players, compelling drama wrapped in content they can't get anywhere else. Taking them to new worlds. Exploring new ideas. Being ABOUT SOMETHING.

There are plenty of games that deliver explosions. A great Star Trek game must be more than that.

With STO, there has been a huge amount of focus on combat since the beginning. By and large, it's well executed and fun. However, Star Trek is not exclusively a combat oriented story. I realize that conflict and as an extension of that, combat, is important to engage people in an online game. But people come to this game especially to be immersed in the Star Trek universe. That means it cant all be "Charge the phasers! Arm the photon torpedoes! KAAAAAAHHHN!".

STO NEEDS exploration and first contact missions to actually BE Star Trek. Otherwise, you're leaving players to grind through missions full of explosions. At that point, you might as well hand the conn over to Michael Bay. :P

Nobody wants to see that. ;)

I have faith that you guys intend to bring higher quality exploration back to the game at some point in the future but please don't leave your players in a drought in the interim.
  • Options
    pweverybodypweverybody Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    What TRIBBLE, Blah! Blah! Blah!...
    I am a single player and happen to make quite a bit from "exploring new worlds".
    Now you have taken that away too.
    Diplomatic ties cut as well?
    Those mission also involved the Clusters etc...

Ah! who cares...
    My Auto SUB was ended! around the 750th day because of your "lack of successful support".

Actually that's what it felt like reading about this news...
    a "useless explanation" & a "thank you for playing STO".
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    tilarta wrote: »
    Actually, I'm glad of their removal because there was no actual reason to go there.
    I did the exploration missions long ago and when I realized it was just infinite variations on 3 basic missions, I got bored and stopped.

Your line of thought makes no sense and is bad business.

You didn't do the missions. Others did. Leaving them there means the others that did them can continue to play that part of the game. And you can continue to play other parts.

Removing them doesn't affect your gameplay.

It affects others' though.

It's a negative. It doesn't improve the game. It takes content away.

Just like the State of Q mission, it's something that's gone. And not coming back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014

It can't be both ways. These missions can't be boring, monotonous redundant repeats ... AND take 3 years or more to tweak because there's just so many of them.

They're either too basic and shallow and only Kill X type missions. Which shouldn't take more than a day or two to actually go in and rework since they're soooooo so basic ...

Or they're huge, taking up tons of space and resources because of the sheer number and variety of them.

It's either or. Not both.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    bazag wrote: »
    1. If the star clusters were kept the devs would have to go into every single map and update the nodes. A lot of work for little gain.

Oh no, that's easy to work around. So much much easier.

Just remove the ability to transfer old materials into new materials.

People already are complaining that the process takes too long on Tribble anyways. And this crafting is supposed to be a brand new start. So go total clean slate.

Get all those materials built up as much as you want from the exploration clusters. But they can't be used in the new Crafting at all. And can't be trasnferred. They already don't vendor for anything.

Boom.

Done.
    3. Outside all of the rewards. Was the content fun? This is a question that everyone has to answer for themselves. For me, no.

It is just as fun as running ISE over and over and over and over again.

Which everyone on the forums seems to love and hold up as the paradigm of gameplay in STO.
    4. A dry piece of bread is still a piece of bread but at some point you have to ask is it worth it to keep it? Even if we have nothing to immediately to replace it with?

Yes. It is. Everquest still has Lower Guk and Splitpaw and the Qeynos sewers. It's all still there after 16 years.

This game can't even leave its own missions live, like State of Q.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    yreodred wrote: »
    They could have gone the easier way, by releasing more and more mission variables (more things that could happen while a mission is running) and more basic missions to the old Exploration missions.
    I think that would have been way better than just throw them into the garbage can.

This. I can't believe that there was *nothing* they could do to improv the experience in four years. Hell, at some point I even would be okay with "Exploration Expansion Packs" you have to buy, like a game add-on which adds more variables and unique encounters referring to the shows.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    captainjgeecaptainjgee Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As usual Crytpic has got it royally wrong. Star Trek is about exploration, but instead fixing a substandard system in the game they remove it. Season 9.5 should have been an exploration revamp not the substandard crafting revamp we will be getting in season 9.5. The only reason they revamped crafting was to monetize it as they are desperate for money and a vain attempt to keep players in the game with a mega grind system. :mad:

Yes the old current star cluster mission are substandard compared to the new missions, but consider how long it take Cryptic to do a single mission is just insane. Just because a mission is visually delightful doesn't mean it a good or popular mission. Look a the newest reputation PvE queued mission, “The Breach”, “Viscous Cycle”and “Undine Infiltration” there are constantly empty or take ages to fill, hell I've seen more players doing the daily missions in the star clusters.

Yes we might get some sort of exploration in Expansion 2 later this year related to the Delta Quadrant but judging by Cryptic record I'm no holding my breath. Also from what I've seen from the Battle zones, it will probably just a few similar missions just with better looking maps.

Tuffili Freighter warps to sector ok, but what about the crafting function, the main reason I bought it. What will we get in it's place? Nothing! Would have been nice if you could get an automatic bonus to the crafting missions if you crafted on the Freighter or say Memory Alpha, a real good reason to go there.

Cryptic you are making it much harder for me to want to stay in the game with these changes. It's getting less and less Star Trek with each change. :(
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    angrytarg wrote: »
    This. I can't believe that there was *nothing* they could do to improv the experience in four years. Hell, at some point I even would be okay with "Exploration Expansion Packs" you have to buy, like a game add-on which adds more variables and unique encounters referring to the shows.

Yeah, they could have spend a whole season to Exploration...
    Adding more basic missions, updating the old ones, adding more events that could randomly happen at each mission (like the Ent -F or a Borg Cube warping in, you get the point).

Personally i just don't buy their statement "there was nothing we could do". To me it seems just a lazy excuse so they can focus on their 1 mission per quarter policy.

I must say i am more frugal when it comes to missions, i don't need a full voice over and cut scenes (which i skip whenever possible TBH :o).
    Just give me something interesting to do and i'm happy.
    I miss the sense of wonder and the randomness, like "what will happen around the next corner (star)". Something like that completely falls away with the newer missions IMO.

A tale of two Picards
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The immortal works of Picard "Remember when we used to be explorers" With the removal of exploration means we are no seeking new life ane new civilization and boldy going nowhere. This game is no longer star trek and has become just a mediocre game. There is nothing in this game that actually makes me want to play the hpurs as I used to. And this will make this game even less playable for everyone who wants to play
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    picard99picard99 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Removing anything does not improve quality unless it's replaced, updated or not working and these are working just fine.Some of us actually do like these cluster missions.
  • Options
    vardariotaivardariotai Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Removing of exploration clusters & put them as PVE rewards & foundry?
    Wow, that's 1 less reason for me to keep playing the game!

I already do PVEs, why are you sweeping them into PVEs now? Everything is PVE, it's just boring! Why can't I have my changes of pace. If I want to be rail roaded & treated like a glorified idiot, I'll play the episode missions. If I want to blow things up & show off how awesome I am than other people, I play pugs. If I want to be accompanied by people who know what to do, I play teamed PVEs, If I want to show off without putting up with how incompetent most people are, I play battlezones, if I'm tired from all of that & just want to cruise around on my space ship, I go to clusters. Now where the heck am I supposed to go. How can I be sure if the foundry will stay up. Every time the game moves from Season to Season, the foundry will be down. If you move it to foundry, then that means I can't get as much anomalies as I want because it will be on drop cool down as well wouldn't it.

Maybe I'm not a Trek, but isn't exploring new worlds & meet alien species is a reason why Trekkies love Star Trek so much. Now all I see is shoot everything, I would've said I didn't know Star Trek is Call of Duty in space if I didn't play this game since the first day it went F2P. You said you're trying to improve missions, most of them is still shoot things, even story missions, they are simply more dragged on with pointless conversations which boils down to shoot things as always so why even trying.

The only thing to improve or remove off the clusters are ground missions there because I've end up doing exact same missions for multiple times. At 1 point, I did the "gather info. in the abandoned lab" 5 times in a row! Add new missions there would've helped a lot. But I guess that takes way too much effort.

After all, Trekkers would play anything with Star Trek slap on it.
  • Options
    annitaillannitaill Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thank God I still have on my shelf old ST games - Armada 1 and 2, Elite Force 1 and 2, Klingon Academy and more :)
    Killing spirit of voyages and explorations is just stupid.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    annitaill wrote: »
    Thank God I still have on my shelf old ST games - Armada 1 and 2, Elite Force 1 and 2, Klingon Academy and more :)
    Killing spirit of voyages and explorations is just stupid.

+1 ... I might even start to play "Birth of the Federation" again, to get my Exploration Kick ... sure the game is horrible & buggy, but at least you never know what's the next Species you'll meet is going to be ...
  • Options
    baragaulbaragaul Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    wayofdera wrote: »
    Cryptic,

That said, here is a suggestion I would leave with you. Why not Bring back endless exploration with allowing a sector for captains to flying, that plays random generator Foundry missions? These missions would be compiled by Cryptic, from submissions of players, who generator missions, content, and alien species that fits the Star Trek exploration of strange new worlds concept. As an incentive for players to spend quality and quantity of time make said missions, cryptic could give a reward to players, who's mission makes the cut into the repeatable random foundry mission list. Such a reward might be between 500-1000 Zen, or dilithium.

Thats actually a really good idea
    Pugio In Averso Belli
  • Options
    tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    I still support the removal of these things. They were awful.

Then don't do them. This is one of those statements I've heard in all the years of gaming. Between devs taking things out and modders taking things out of the games or taken parts of the mod out because they didn't like it.

If you don't like an optional feature then DO NOT USE IT, there is no reason to take something out or support taking something out just because you personally do not like it.
  • Options
    bazagbazag Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Oh no, that's easy to work around. So much much easier.

Just remove the ability to transfer old materials into new materials.

People already are complaining that the process takes too long on Tribble anyways. And this crafting is supposed to be a brand new start. So go total clean slate.

Get all those materials built up as much as you want from the exploration clusters. But they can't be used in the new Crafting at all. And can't be transferred. They already don't vendor for anything.

Boom.

Done.

Sorry, but what has this to do with what I posted? The places on the map where you pick up the old crafting materials will have to be replaced. So the devs will have to go in and spend however long it takes for just one map to remove the old crafting material nodes so that the old materials no longer drop and replace them with nodes for the new crafting materials. Then you have to test and edit to make sure that all nodes are accessible.

The process doesn't seem long but doing that for every single map in every single mission when there are probably thousands of them does take up a tremendous amount of time, that frankly can be better spend.
    It is just as fun as running ISE over and over and over and over again.

Which everyone on the forums seems to love and hold up as the paradigm of gameplay in STO.

Fair enough. Fun is objective not subjective whether it is this exploration star cluster missions, or PvE queued events, PvP, story missions or foundry missions. People simply have a different definition of fun. Something which I acknowledged in my post.
    Yes. It is. Everquest still has Lower Guk and Splitpaw and the Qeynos sewers. It's all still there after 16 years.

This game can't even leave its own missions live, like State of Q.

I have to agree with you regarding State of Q, I don't think that should have been removed. It should have been kept in game.

However I think with a system change as drastic as the Crafting System has undergone. Then you also have to think about the costs involved in changing missions to this new system.

The Star cluster missions are lousy with Anomalies, there are thousands upon thousands of maps and all of these maps would have to be updated to the new system. Which as I said is a lot of work.

This is just me, personally, but I'd rather these missions be removed and time allocated to a new exploration system than spending the copious amounts of time required to manually edit each and every single map to update it to the new system.
This discussion has been closed.