test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ruinsfateruinsfate Member Posts: 58 Arc User
While clean, the new UI's individual mission bars are FAR too large. Previously, I could look at a list of up to and over a dozen missions on my laptop's 1366x768 screen. Now I fit 4-5. The requirements box also tends to overflow its very small size, where the old one was scrollable.

Personally, I find the old one more functional and usable, with far less scrolling up and down to find assignments. If you plan to continue with the current one, either scale it down significantly or make it scalable.
Post edited by ruinsfate on

Comments

• frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Season 9.5 has introduced substantial changes to the doff system. Here is my initial feedback.

1. You've drastically reduced the number of assignments available from exploration clusters. In each exploration cluster, assignments used to be available under "Current Map", "Personal", and "Department Heads". Now, each cluster offers only one tab with fewer assignments than available under "Current Map".

2. I can no longer filter by quality, traits, or specialization when an planning assignment.

http://i.imgur.com/4LOv5yD.jpg

Update: As of July 10, 2014, I still cannot filter by quality, traits, or specialization when selecting a doff for an assignment slot.

http://i.imgur.com/AcTFdlo.jpg

3. Why do I need to see crafting skill when I'm planning a normal doff assignment?

4. Assignments under "Current Map" and "Personal" are no longer organized by commendation category. This makes it hard to look for assignments belonging to a specific category. The same applies to department heads who offer more than one category of assignment. The same also applies to the new exploration cluster tab.

Update: As of July 10, 2014, categories have been added back to the assignment list, but the UI elements still look too large and clunky. Can we get the option for a more compact UI?

http://i.imgur.com/41G1oIJ.jpg

5. Please color-code the chances of critical success, success, failure, and disaster.

6. The rewards and requirements often don't fit in their boxes.

http://i.imgur.com/j4WmZKn.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/avEB42R.jpg

Update: As of July 10, 2014, rewards and requirements are still cut off by their surrounding boxes.

http://i.imgur.com/SHIudEC.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/ctQIXNq.jpg

7. I cannot buy doffs under the "Request More" tab.

http://i.imgur.com/CFzppoA.jpg

8. In the old UI, even before planning an assignment, I could see the specialization requirements as well as the traits which influence critical success, success, failure, and disaster. In the new UI, I have to hover my mouse over icons in the assignment list to read the specialization requirements, and the mouseover tooltips don't show the traits.

http://i.imgur.com/xPlPMrw.jpg

9. When I plan an assignment, the specialization requirement is hidden away in the slot's bottom right corner instead of being displayed prominently.

http://i.imgur.com/nOvoVwu.jpg

10. You've fixed the bug that allowed the same doff to be assigned twice, but the new behavior still has usability problems.

Doff can be assigned twice

Now, if you assign a doff to one slot and assign the same doff to another slot, the first slot will be cleared. However, the selection window does not indicate that a doff has already been slotted, so the user may try to select a doff that he has already assigned to another slot. For example, in the screenshot below, one cannot tell that Toss has already been assigned to the first slot.

11. The 's next to the bars for critical success, success, failure, and disaster serve no function. They are used in crafting to show the mouseover tooltips for potential outcomes, but they serve no function in the doff UI.

http://i.imgur.com/RkZaSbu.jpg

Furthermore, you are using dark blue for critical success and dark red for disaster against a black background. The contrast is rather low. Consider switching to lighter shades of blue and red.

12. The "Clear Slot" button is always grayed out, so the only way to clear a slot is to assign the doff in that slot to another slot. Of course, if the assignment has only one slot, then there is no way to clear it.

Edit: Updated with additional points from my later posts.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • ruinsfateruinsfate Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    From the 9.5 Patch Notes thread:
    erei1 wrote: »
    No offense, but the new DOFF UI is simply horrible. It's big, clunky, and searching for a specific assignment is a lot more difficult. Also, it's difficult to search for a specific commendations mission. For example exploration, military, espionage.... because it's all together, and only the small picture can differentiate this.
    Finally, when you select your DOFF, currently it's a nightmare. I can't see their traits, quickly search for the ones I'm looking for (using filters), etc.... All I have a is a list of DOFF, with absolutely no informations except for the rarity, name and +X crafting skill.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ruinsfate wrote: »
    From the 9.5 Patch Notes thread:
    Well I was going to re-post it here, but you saved me the trouble :D
    Thank you !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2014
    Happy to :) Making sure things get heard, I like doffing, but the UI is kind of a turn off.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Despite the now limited number of assignements offered, it's harder to find an assignement you look for.

Assignements take more place on the lists.

Non-ops Cluster assignements are gone!

Picking doffs for an assignement is a nightmare:

Overall, this is terrible. If this stays I'll possibly stop doffing. And doffing is what keeps me to log in every day, month after month.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • juganda47juganda47 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ruinsfate wrote: »
    the UI is kind of a turn off.

It ain't facelifted at all, it's facesmashed or facekicked right now. I already miss my user-friendly and intuitive old UI ;_;

again, The better is the enemy of the good
  • gralerongraleron Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have to echo the previous sentiments. The revised Duty Officer UI layout is a downgrade in functionality; the existing UI is far better to use.
    Vice Admiral Elaron, USS Hard Light
  • phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    I'm sorry that I can't provide any constructive criticism right now... but this is utterly ridiculous. You have killed the duty officer system or you are in the processing of dumbing it down so badly that it is not of any interest anymore.

I am absolutely astonished....
    edited June 2014
    Cross-posting for collation:
    denizenvi wrote: »
    Doff updates: Overall, I'm ok with the new UI for doff missions. A little getting used to where the information went, but I'll probably adapt to it. Sorting doffs by effectiveness for each spot is nice, though I'd like to still be able to see the highlighted pertinent traits when looking through options, not just for the slotted doff. It also seems this slot options system has replaced the old 'department head suggestions', though it can't be turned off by that toggle.

Just testing with Risian bird assignments, it seems Biologists still increase success at the expense of crit. Since success boost isn't even shown on the new UI, is it just going to be removed from all doff assignments? Or will it remain a hidden menace, only noticeable by looking closely at the available doff order or comparing crit chance?

Some odd things: it is possible to select the same doff in several different slots. The assignment can't start, and the crit chance suffers, but it's not immediately clear that the problem is the same doff. For people with duplicates this could get confusing.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Was there something wrong with just double clicking a DOFF to assign them to a mission before that I wasn't aware of? Because I don't understand why we need more windows/tabs, whatever, just to assign them to a particular mission with this new UI.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Terrible.

To start with the organization for finding that doff mission you are looking for has been destroyed. Previously you could see many different assignments, what they required, and they were organized by department.

Now it's just a generic list in alphabetical form with giant boxes that provide absolutely no useful information.

Previously it would asign less than optimal doffs as suggestions forcing me to seek them out from my roster sometimes and while it was a chore, I was alteast provided the tools to actually sort them and it let me know what traits and specialization to look for. Some of my toons have 300+ doffs.

Now it auto assigns sub optimal doffs and doesn't even tell me what specialization I should use for the best chance of success. Oh and the list, that is real fun to sort.

Doffing is one of the reasons I enjoy STO. Neverwinter's version is one of the reasons I only played it for a month. This really makes me miss Heretic, perhaps I should return to his work.

I'm trying to stay constructive but this is absolute garbage. And I know we are stuck with it because to do a crafting revamp the NW doff system is being mashed into our Doff system and I highly doubt it will be considered worthy of the development time it would take to merge them properly without destroying what we currently have.
    edited June 2014
    I'm quoting doffingcomrade from another thread, because this is a fairly big feature loss.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17566761&postcount=38
    I just realized it gets even worse.

There are are a fair number of chain missions that are found A: Only on your DH, and B: Only inside certain clusters.

Without the ability to enter the cluster and then pull up the department heads FOR THAT CLUSTER, those missions are now impossible to ever get and complete!
    qVpg1km.png
  • entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 546 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »
    Season 9.5 has introduced substantial changes to the doff system. Here is my initial feedback.

1. You've drastically reduced the number of assignments available from exploration clusters. In each exploration cluster, assignments used to be available under "Current Map", "Personal", and "Department Heads". Now, each cluster offers only one tab with fewer assignments than available under "Current Map".

2. I can no longer filter by quality and traits when planning assignments.

http://i.imgur.com/4LOv5yD.jpg

3. Why do I need to see crafting skill when I'm planning a normal doff assignment?

4. Assignments under "Current Map" and "Personal" are no longer organized by commendation category. This makes it hard to look for assignments belonging to a specific category. The same applies to department heads who offer more than one category of assignment. The same also applies to the new exploration cluster tab.

5. Please color-code the chances of critical success, success, failure, and disaster.

6. The rewards and requirements often don't fit in their boxes.

http://i.imgur.com/j4WmZKn.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/avEB42R.jpg

7. I cannot buy doffs under the "Request More" tab.

http://i.imgur.com/CFzppoA.jpg

I'll just double up everything said here (except Exploration Cluster stuff. I don't know for sure how that's working since I've not gotten to one yet).
  • ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm sorry that I can't provide any constructive criticism right now... but this is utterly ridiculous. You have killed the duty officer system or you are in the processing of dumbing it down so badly that it is not of any interest anymore.

I am absolutely astonished....

QFT

Let's look at 1 KDF Doff Assignment: Disable Vulcan Freighter

Holodeck:
    Tactical Sucess: Energy Weapons Officer, Projectile Weapons Officer
    Operations Sucess: Tractor Beam Officer

Tribble:
    Tactical "NO INFORMATION"
    Operations "NO INFORMATION"

On Tribble, the user is not provided the relevant information to use an Energy Weapons Officer or Projectile Weapons officer instead of ANY Tactical Officer.

On Tribble the user Interface obfuscates your roster. The "Select Button" provides no context or control of assigning DOFFs.

On Tribble you see a 2nd menu that just says Tractor Beam Officer WITHOUT their TRAITS. On Holodeck you assign DOFFS from your ROSTER and have access to all the information to make an informed decision.

At a minimum you need to add all the relevant information. Basically the Holodeck interface is superior. I'd prefer you'd revert back to the old Holodeck interface. It gets the job done.

My first thought was windows 8. Big tiles of useless information. :eek:I spend 90% of my time DOFFING but this new interface is going to push me to give up STO.:mad:

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I just saw the new DOFF UI for the first time and my first impression was literally "WTF".

First off it's insanely large, and it's not user friendly at all.

Second, they added more "Middle-men", where it's a longer process to actually start a DOFF mission. On Holodeck, I click twice to choose the mission and then click a few more times in choosing DOFFs and off they go. But not with the new system.

Third, the DOFF selection is incredibly horrible! That "Select Button" is misleading in that it looks like you are selecting a DOFF when in fact you are choosing the DOFF pre-chosen. And it goes into an annoying pop-up window that doesn't show any information, so you have no idea if a DOFF is better or Worse than the pre-chosen.

Fourth, the Current UI, everything was right there. This new one doesn't.

IMHO Cryptic - LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE! It's NOT BROKE, do not go messing with things that isn't broke. Nobodys been complaining about needing improvements to the DOFF UI. Please, JUST LEAVE IT ALONE!

If you wanted to Improve the UI, then add a button that let us buy commodities for missions right there and then, than us floundering in the Replicator or running to a vendor.

R&D UI: OMG! Send it to the pits of Hades where it belongs! It's atrocious!

Come on guys, this isn't crafting at all. It's Doffing. When people said they want to craft, they want to craft! Everquest, Age of Camelot, SWG!
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The new Doff UI is TERRIBLE. Whomever did the redesign seems to have forgotten the KISS principle of deign (IE Keep It Simple Stupid.)

Issues I have:

- Now you can't simply see the required officer types.

- To Select you need to scroll through your ENITIRE inventory; no more easy filtering with two clicks?

What? Did someone at Cryptic think players were Doffing too fast so they add all these layers of reduced 'at a glance' info and un-needed selection complexity? If this goes live as is, I just won't bother to Doff.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • sarek93sarek93 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I missed this thread when I made mine (didn't scroll down far enough apparently), so reposting here.
    sarek93 wrote: »
    I figured since there wasn't an official feedback thread for the doff UI revamp, I'd make an unofficial one. The new UI looks good, but I do have a few qualms with it:

1. The pop up for selecting a duty officer for a slot in the mission only shows the duty officer's crafting skill and not their traits. To figure out the traits you have to assign them and then see what the traits are and how those traits match up to what increase your crit chances on projects. For those of us with full 400 doff rosters, that can be a bit annoying: assign one, doesn't look good, assign again, doesn't look good. On and on until one comes up that has the right skills.

2. Sometimes when a lot of items or doffs are required for an assignment they get cut off by the box that they are displayed in on the mission lists. You have to click each one to go in and see exactly what is needed. In some cases, the item I'm missing is cut off, so I don't know that I can't run the mission until I click into it. There's no way of displaying it is unavailable on the list as it stands now the way it used to.

3. The grouping is annoying. The missions are all arranged randomly. The old system arranged by division type. I'd prefer either that or arranged by rarity. Just sort it some way. Right now it's just a random list. It makes it hard to easily locate specific division missions that I might want to run to boost xp in one particular division.
    "Insufficient facts always invite danger." - Spock
    edited June 2014
    Another thing that worries me is that the new doff UI consists largely of new code. It's probably not as well-tested as the old UI. There are rare bugs that cause you to lose doffs.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1131941

I'm afraid incidents like that will become more common.
    qVpg1km.png
  • ikuruyoikuruyo Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »
    Another thing that worries me is that the new doff UI consists largely of new code. It's probably not as well-tested as the old UI. There are rare bugs that cause you to lose doffs.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1131941

I'm afraid incidents like that will become more common.

That looks like someone trolling. The pic might as well have "photoshoped" in the corner.

Lists failure (but not "1 lost"), with extreme risk for a low risk task and has the reward show when you get nothing for a fail. As well as that doff not supposed to be able to slot in that project.
    edited June 2014
    ikuruyo wrote: »
    That looks like someone trolling. The pic might as well have "photoshoped" in the corner.

Lists failure (but not "1 lost"), with extreme risk for a low risk task and has the reward show when you get nothing for a fail. As well as that doff not supposed to be able to slot in that project.

All of these things were already mentioned in that thread. What makes you think it's trolling instead of a rare bug that allows you slot a doff you shouldn't be able to, causing the mission to fail and consuming the doff in the process?
    qVpg1km.png
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I am not a fan of the new doff UI in its current state. I dont mind it for crafting so much, but the doffing side seems to be more clunky than before.

You have to max the box really big to see all the requirements. when you plan a project you cant tell what each doffs traits are quickly other than the +30 bit which is kind of redundant anyway as the colour should be a big indication that a purple is better than a green. it all takes up a lot more room on the screen so its harder to quickly get an overview of what is available.

maybe we can get a toggle to hide the tasks with unmet requirements.

Also occasionally i would change the doff required and the plan task button would grey out. im not sure if its letting you pick doffs you should not be able to use or its just being glitchy?
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Holy **** what have you done?! You've murdered the ******* Doff UI. Whomever did this should be fired. Get out. :mad:

This, combined with the cluster assignments nerf will singlehandedly kill the Doff system. :mad:

Reactionary? Sure. But Cryptic's history shows that this is highly unlikely to get any iteration passes and it will probably go live in this state and never be changed.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • hodhedhelhodhedhel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Holy **** what have you done?! You've murdered the ******* Doff UI. Whomever did this should be fired. Get out. :mad:

I agree with the previous poster. If anything he is understating things and using too mild language.

Don't Change The Doff UI!
  • bobsisko47bobsisko47 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Cryptic, what have you done? This new UI is terrible in the worst kind!

Do NOT put the Doff UI from Tribble to Holodeck!
  • taya4svktaya4svk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Agreed on what was said, KEEP THE OLD UI FROM HOLODECK.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • defalusdefalus Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This is really really bad.... they've taken what Heretic made and ruined it. The new UI is horrible, I can't clearly see assignment type, I cant see doff traits/category when picking doffs and I can't sort doffs into categories when selecting doffs.

The new UI lacks the clarity of the current one.

Assignments - This on holodeck becomes this on tribble
    Doff Selection - This on holodeck becomes this on tribble.

That doffs are showing +crafting rather than traits is probably going to change to show traits anyway, but in my opinion, the current doffing UI should be left as it is with the R&D tab added for crafting.

Cryptic please please don't change the UI, the new one on tribble is a step back from what we have. What you have on tribble is clunky, cumbersome and somewhat counter intuitive compared to what it currently on holodeck.
    Yes, it's quite clearly worse: There's LESS information available than there was before. Where you used to see 6-7 doff assignments sorted by category, you now see 4. WHere you used to be able to see what traits and types were required, now you see...nothing. You've managed to create something to waste more screen space to show less information. If I didn't have most of this stuff memorized, I would be completely lost as to what I was even looking at in the second one. A grand total of zero people actually like this change. I have not heard a single person who actually thinks this is better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Doff UI, now powered by children's Mega Bloks.

Who needs pertinent information when you can have GIANT SCREEN WASTING BLOCKS instead!!?

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If you want the Assignments UI and R&D UI to be consistent, could you please make the new crafting UI function more like the old doffing UI? The Holodeck UI has a great deal of information available at a glance without clicking on every damn thing, and makes doffing simple and efficient; the Tribble UI buries information within unnecessary clicking menus and makes the entire process more cumbersome. For some reason the Tribble doffing UI seems to show everything clearly other than the doffs... and the doffs are kind of the point of doffing.

That and the loss of checking with Department Heads within the Clusters. I prefer a loading screen and more options over an interact and less options. Also, because the system requires doffs for crafting, that removes those doffs from the pool you can actually use for doffing while they are otherwise in use... meaning we'll need more doffs and likely doff slots if we choose to do both crafting and doffing. Is this intentional, or will the default Roster size be expanded?

Basically, the Holodeck doffing UI is just fine; please leave it be. In fact, the Tribble crafting UI could take lessons from it. :P
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • darkshadowstodarkshadowsto Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The new UI is just horrible :(
    It is a step into the wrong direction.

The new UI takes a huge amount of the screen, especially with the doff selection list right of the doffing window.
    Useful information has been removed, e.g there is no way to show the number of commodities you have when starting a mission.

Vertically, the number of shown doff assignments has decreased drastically, requiring a lot of scrolling to find a mission.
    Even with the really reduced number of doffing assignments currently available, it is really difficult to find a specific doffing mission.

It really needs the categories back. Please consider reducing the space taken by one doff assignment in the list or add a compact mode for the UI.

Showing the number of doffs which are required for a mission is not really useful and just wastes space on the screen and has some really interesting effects if you start for example a doff heavy mission like Holodeck Performance of Hamlet.

What should be the point of that in the first place ? Should the player mouse hover above each item and try to memorize, what doffs are required for a mission ? The old way with having the requirements printed inside the doff slot was way easier.

I also hope, that the AI for selecting doffs will be improved. With the additional window on the right side, it is rather impossible to select a certain doff.
    a) there is no rarity filter
    b) no filter to select doffs by traits
    c) no categories and no descriptions.

If you have larger doff roaster like 300+, it is rather impossible to find a doff.

My suggestions for fixing up this train wreck would be to split the doffing window back into the two main column view, on the left column the list of assignments, and on the right column the view with selecting the doffs / doff information etc.

My favorite solution to fix it, would be to just keep the old UI as it is and don't touch it, and just adapt the neverwinter style R&D tab to match the old UI.

The old UI is way superior to this one, it is usable, the new one is NOT