Install Arc
Options

Comments

• Options
    darkshadowstodarkshadowsto Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The new UI is just horrible :(
    It is a step into the wrong direction.

The new UI takes a huge amount of the screen, especially with the doff selection list right of the doffing window.
    Useful information has been removed, e.g there is no way to show the number of commodities you have when starting a mission.

Vertically, the number of shown doff assignments has decreased drastically, requiring a lot of scrolling to find a mission.
    Even with the really reduced number of doffing assignments currently available, it is really difficult to find a specific doffing mission.

It really needs the categories back. Please consider reducing the space taken by one doff assignment in the list or add a compact mode for the UI.

Showing the number of doffs which are required for a mission is not really useful and just wastes space on the screen and has some really interesting effects if you start for example a doff heavy mission like Holodeck Performance of Hamlet.

What should be the point of that in the first place ? Should the player mouse hover above each item and try to memorize, what doffs are required for a mission ? The old way with having the requirements printed inside the doff slot was way easier.

I also hope, that the AI for selecting doffs will be improved. With the additional window on the right side, it is rather impossible to select a certain doff.
    a) there is no rarity filter
    b) no filter to select doffs by traits
    c) no categories and no descriptions.

If you have larger doff roaster like 300+, it is rather impossible to find a doff.

My suggestions for fixing up this train wreck would be to split the doffing window back into the two main column view, on the left column the list of assignments, and on the right column the view with selecting the doffs / doff information etc.

My favorite solution to fix it, would be to just keep the old UI as it is and don't touch it, and just adapt the neverwinter style R&D tab to match the old UI.

The old UI is way superior to this one, it is usable, the new one is NOT
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited June 2014
    This is so not ready for holodeck

This has got to be the worst undate of all time for STO

I urge you cryptic to take this Frankenstein back to the Lab
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    signumpaxsignumpax Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have to say i am very disappionted about that new UI.

It toally wasted the aviable space and make the access to informations very had.

Allready the assignment selectation show that clearly. Now on a much bigger space u have information u not realy need to have at first sight, but therfore it takes u much longer to find the assignement u want. The old system click on it and then get info is way much better.

To add duties to the assengement is now a real pain. U use the biggest space on the page to show the acctuall duties,
    but put all selectable duties (can be more than 400 duties.....) in one tiny menu without showing any addtion information or make it possible the sort that list.

For me it look like someone took that crafingsystem of an other game (neverwinter? maybe work good there but not here) and somehow try to merge it with the sto system --> great mess in my eyes.

Devs with the old system u have done a great work, one of the best parts of the game.

It would be much better if u take what is already there, and try to add the craftingsystem to that.
    Also the cravtingsystem woudl benefit a lot form the well structured old UI.
  • Options
    aegon1iceaegon1ice Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The new UI is not even close to be called "better" or an improvement. The current UI is x-times better and offers all the information you need whereas the new one is the complete contrary. It is cluttered and not user friendly. Gives little to no information and has even less information and options.

Please keep the old UI!
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Additionally, I would like to point out that I hate floating windows that by all rights should be attached to their parent window instead of a separate object.

The quick equip window should really be like the exchange sell tab's inventory dropdown list when you click on the 'click or drag item' button.

The Doff info is now split into its own window, ew. The doff selector is a huge list that is its own window, and has no sorting or categories whatsoever. Oh ugh. Just all of the omg and the ugh. These should be embedded in their parent window like they are on Holodeck.

In fact, just keep the UI from Holodeck. This new system cannot be salvaged. Give R&D its own tab and leave everything else about the Doff UI exactly as it is.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »
    Season 9.5 has introduced substantial changes to the doff system. Here is my initial feedback.

1. You've drastically reduced the number of assignments available from exploration clusters. In each exploration cluster, assignments used to be available under "Current Map", "Personal", and "Department Heads". Now, each cluster offers only one tab with fewer assignments than available under "Current Map".

2. I can no longer filter by quality and traits when planning assignments.

http://i.imgur.com/4LOv5yD.jpg

3. Why do I need to see crafting skill when I'm planning a normal doff assignment?

4. Assignments under "Current Map" and "Personal" are no longer organized by commendation category. This makes it hard to look for assignments belonging to a specific category. The same applies to department heads who offer more than one category of assignment. The same also applies to the new exploration cluster tab.

5. Please color-code the chances of critical success, success, failure, and disaster.

6. The rewards and requirements often don't fit in their boxes.

http://i.imgur.com/j4WmZKn.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/avEB42R.jpg

7. I cannot buy doffs under the "Request More" tab.

http://i.imgur.com/CFzppoA.jpg

This new system sucks TRIBBLE, can only see 3 doffs at a time when planning a mission, not to mention the new ui just sucks with the new view of the assignments in the window itself.

Who the hell is designing this stuff, find out and sack him. You cant even see all the rewards in the same space allotted for christ sake.

Its also being split into 2 windows for what doffs you assign, your UI sucks TRIBBLE and causes massive FPS drops as it is, even the PVE que does this sometimes.

i5 3750k
    GTX670
    16GB System Memory

Stop messing with stuff you shouldnt, this is going to be worse than the whole outfit TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    sabremeister1sabremeister1 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's hideous!

Problem 1: There are only 4 assignments visible on screen at a time, half the amount you can see on Holodeck
    Problem 2: It doesn't tell you in before picking your DOffs which DOff types you need, nor what traits those DOffs need for a critical success. Nor does it let you know what traits your DOffs have when you are selecting them
    Problem 3: If there's more than 3 DOffs/items needed, it doesn't show you what inventory items (ie. Shield Gens) you need, or how many total DOffs
    Problem 4: Some of the missions are just plain wrong - Analyse Probe for Alien Artefacts shows you need 4 DOffs, but when you run it it only requires 2. It also shows a Special Bridge Officer as a reward, not any crafting or R&D supplies.
    Problem 5: Sometimes in-progress DOff missions bleed-over into the R&D missions, so you can't start a R&D project. For example, I had an "Entertain Foreign Dignitaries" mission running, I started an "Item - Torpedo Launcher" project, and it showed me the lead DOff from the EFD mission, with a button spend 5k dil to complete the mission immediately instead of waiting for five-and-a-half hours
  • Options
    jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Additionally, I would like to point out that I hate floating windows that by all rights should be attached to their parent window instead of a separate object.

You mean like that pain in the TRIBBLE equipment window that pops up when you are outfitting a ship.
  • Options
    kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The new UI for listing DOff-assignments (and R&D projects) needs some tweaking.

1) Required materials and rewards should be listed in a more comparable way, i.e., one coloumn per type of requirement (e.g., dilithium). Maybe it is even possible to make such a coloum-based table sortable... so I could sort my assignments/projects according to their requirements/rewards of certain resources.

2) The boxes for each assignment are too big. Right now they are bigger than the associated thumbnail pictures. At least decrease the box size to fit the picture height, better decrease the picture size, too.

3) I really miss the the small subtitles/descriptions of each assignment in the general list. You won't see it until you select an assignment. From what I see, that 1 line of text should easily fit within those new boxes listed, even if you decrease their size a bit. The descriptions add a lot of flavor to the entire DOff system, and should definitely NOT be hidden away within the individual assignment pages.
  • Options
    jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What the HELL was wrong with a coloured PIE-CHART to describe the potential outcomes of your mission.

When you have a total 100% divided into a number of different categories a pie chart is almost always the right way to do it.

IF.
    IT.
    ISN'T.
    BROKEN.
    DON'T.
    FIX.
    IT.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • Options
    artfulmerkageartfulmerkage Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This is absolutely disastrous. The duty officer UI was perfectly fine and for some UNKNOWN REASON you folks have seen fit to completely butcher everything accommodating and enjoyable about it.

This system is one of the few reasons I log in to the game. Seriously, do you people understand the first thing about design? It's to do with communication, ease of use, simplicity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Valdus | Charn | Costello | Typhus | Thyran
  • Options
    mikiiymikiiy Member Posts: 216 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Those changes are horrible.

- can't invite other to bridge anymore to pick up colonial chains.. a really bad change.

- losing a 2nd chance to pick colonial chains up on department heads, another bad change.

- the current map/assignments list is horrible now. All the important info is now gone (cathegorie, success chances, pie chart, special description to indicate potential doff loss etc..) and the rather unimportant informations (rewards, requirements) are huge. worst change ever, the ui was so much better before!

- selecting an officer when planing an assignment has no filters anymore.. can't filter em for purples/cathegory and all which isnt all that great when someone has hundrets of doffs to slot.

All i can say about those changes really is... rollback! Everything was way better before.
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I really hope this isn't even close to it's final state.

It's way less convienient than before.

- the number of assignments showing is lower than before
    - Doffs aren't showing their attributes anymore (just the crafting skill info),
    - it's showing me doffs that are currently on assignment as a suggestion
    - the seperate window for doffs is horribly inconvienient and annoying
    - unimportant information ("bound to character") displayed as if it were a trait
    - the commendation categories are gone
    - fluff texts for each one of the assignments seem to be gone
    - some of the more important filters are gone (try looking for the one uncommon doff you want to send to a doff exchange in a 500-strong doff roster now...)
    - the little boxes showing which doffs and prerequisites are needed are completely unalligned, whenever there is more than 2 or 3 doffs involved.

Currently, there isn't a single thing about the new UI where I'd say it's an improvement, a good idea or a good start.

Why break something that has been working alrigjht for years now? Who is the evil person who is responsible for that abomination of a doff UI?
  • Options
    mav75mav75 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Bad. Go back to the previous version.
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I like doffing on holodeck n hate the new one on tribble for same reasons ppl have all said here bin this n start again but keep everything we like about the old one.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Please don't do this. The old UI is so much better. Please don't change it. Please.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ruinsfate wrote: »
    While clean, the new UI's individual mission bars are FAR too large. Previously, I could look at a list of up to and over a dozen missions on my laptop's 1366x768 screen. Now I fit 4-5. The requirements box also tends to overflow its very small size, where the old one was scrollable.

Personally, I find the old one more functional and usable, with far less scrolling up and down to find assignments. If you plan to continue with the current one, either scale it down significantly or make it scalable.

Agreed. It seems very wasteful.
    Also, I don't find it easy to read, either. The Requirements only showing as symbols is actually not all that helpful - it are just too many symbols to expect people to memorize them.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    where the hell is the Fan boi defense team !

Thats right cryptic even they wont protect you for this

This is so poor its not a upgrade its a nerf to your own product

Its like a outside attack from a hostile company attacking cryptic

• Options
    galadimangaladiman Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Seeing video of the new DOFF interface, I agree with many of the above posters that it is much less efficient than the old interface, way too large and clunky, and needs significant improvement and streamlining.
    Please reconsider ARC. Please make it optional, at the least. PLEASE.
    It seems the vast majority of your most active players (forum regulars) hate the idea... and while that's a small subset of the playerbase, I think it's an important constituency.
    THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT THIS.
  • Options
    ceekayzeroceekayzero Member Posts: 411 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    In addition to the accurate things everyone else has said, two things I've noticed about the new DOFF UI:

1. You can use the Crafting "buy it now" feature on regular DOFF missions through a glitch; I think if you start a mission while something is being crafted.

2. The "salvage alien artifacts" missions still reward old crafting materials. Probably needs to be fixed.
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Here's an idea for restoring the lost doff assignments from exploration clusters. Clicking on the button near an exploration cluster should open a tab similar to the "Department Heads" tab. It should show all the department heads (including the first officer) and a new button labeled "Cluster Map". Clicking on the "Cluster Map" button should bring up all the assignments which used appear under "Current Map" within the exploration cluster. Clicking on a department head should bring up all the assignments which that officer used to give in the exploration cluster. This should restore most of the functionality lost with the removal of exploration clusters as separate maps. However, it will not address the complaints that owners of Tuffli Class Freighters and Suliban Cell Ships can no longer invite people to their bridges in order to share assignments within an exploration cluster.

Of course, I'd much prefer that the exploration clusters be restored. That would solve the issue with the Tufflis and Suliban Cell Ships. It also seems that some people really enjoy the exploration missions:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17564381&postcount=9
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17563831&postcount=7
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    yellowalertyellowalert Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »
    Season 9.5 has introduced substantial changes to the doff system. Here is my initial feedback.

1. You've drastically reduced the number of assignments available from exploration clusters. In each exploration cluster, assignments used to be available under "Current Map", "Personal", and "Department Heads". Now, each cluster offers only one tab with fewer assignments than available under "Current Map".

2. I can no longer filter by quality and traits when planning assignments.

http://i.imgur.com/4LOv5yD.jpg

3. Why do I need to see crafting skill when I'm planning a normal doff assignment?

4. Assignments under "Current Map" and "Personal" are no longer organized by commendation category. This makes it hard to look for assignments belonging to a specific category. The same applies to department heads who offer more than one category of assignment. The same also applies to the new exploration cluster tab.

5. Please color-code the chances of critical success, success, failure, and disaster.

6. The rewards and requirements often don't fit in their boxes.

http://i.imgur.com/j4WmZKn.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/avEB42R.jpg

7. I cannot buy doffs under the "Request More" tab.

http://i.imgur.com/CFzppoA.jpg

I'm just going to quote this post because it's everything that's wrong with the DOFF menu at the moment. I hope this doesn't turn into Cryptic's "CU" or "NGE".

Also, while changing things up, I'd still like to see something changed so that we can tell if a quest is part of a chain at a glance. Perhaps since the lower left corner is colored depending on rarity of the quest, the upper right corner can be colored yellow to indicate a quest chain mission.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    As someone who gathers requirements for large scale projects for a living I am forever amazed at developers/companies who refuse to openly ask their users what they need and what they want thinking instead they have all the answers.

The result, nearly everytime, is a horrible product which has already been developed and must be delivered to satisfy someones timetable and ego.

Get from under your rock, post a thread asking for feedback, develop several low cost options, get more feedback then proceed WELL BEFORE DECIDING ON A DELIVERY DATE.

As it stands now you have a system which you plan on going live in about a month that the community doesn't like which you have been designing in a vacuum.

Well done.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    rekurzion wrote: »
    As it stands now you have a system which you plan on going live in about a month that the community doesn't like which you have been designing in a vacuum.

Well done.

....which is mostly working quite well. A few minor changes is all it needs, not a complete overhaul. This is akin to changing the engine on a car when all you need is to change the oil filter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    As someone who gathers requirements for large scale projects for a living I am forever amazed at developers/companies who refuse to openly ask their users what they need and what they want thinking instead they have all the answers.

The result, nearly everytime, is a horrible product which has already been developed and must be delivered to satisfy someones timetable and ego.

Get from under your rock, post a thread asking for feedback, develop several low cost options, get more feedback then proceed WELL BEFORE DECIDING ON A DELIVERY DATE.

Well done.

Well said

SWG did the same thing........................Then droped the NGE on the players in the end they ( jhon smedley ) SOE destroyed the best star wars mmo ever

suits dont know squat about gamming soe proved that

looks like STO s use the same playbook SOE used on SWG

• Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I know it's in the early stages, but I don't see any sort of benefit from this new UI. You're overhauling something that honestly doesn't need an overhaul.
  • Options
    rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ....which is mostly working quite well. A few minor changes is all it needs, not a complete overhaul. This is akin to changing the engine on a car when all you need is to change the oil filter.

Perhaps i'm being a bit dramatic, but UI can make or ruin a well designed widget.

As it stands now with the current Doff mechanic I can access everything I need to on one screen easily viewable on a variety of screen sizes and resolutions. The new crafting mechanic isn't adding anything to the doff system that is technically new. That is, pick an assignment, assign some doffs, maybe some items and tally ho. So why add so many new features and display changes? I don't recall too much compaint about how it was designed.
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Perhaps i'm being a bit dramatic, but UI can make or ruin a well designed widget.

Your not being dramatic. It is the truth. A quick look at semi recent software releases will illustrate that quite well. In fact I would go so far as to say it should be considered 'common sense' among developers.
  • Options
    sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    This is the first public release of 9.5. You guys are thinking doomed before anything is even finished. There are many bugs and misconceptions here. You cannot buy DOFFs on Tribble because you can't buy any in the C-Store. The UI is obviously bugged - it displays Crafting Skill instead of Success traits on the DOFF UI when Crafting Skill should only be restricted to the R&D UI.

You are being overdramatic - We have plenty of time before 9.5 releases. There are many bugs that need to be fixed. Be patient. I don't agree with some of these new changes, but only time will tell if this update is a disaster or if it's not. Patience, this is only one update.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

As it stands now with the current Doff mechanic I can access everything I need to on one screen easily viewable on a variety of screen sizes and resolutions. The new crafting mechanic isn't adding anything to the doff system that is technically new. That is, pick an assignment, assign some doffs, maybe some items and tally ho. So why add so many new features and display changes? I don't recall too much compaint about how it was designed.

I completely agree. The only thing I'd change about the current set up is putting an indicator on the main DOFF screen to let us know if a mission is part of a mission chain. Otherwise, it works fine the way it is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]