Options

Official Discussion Thread: Season 9.5 Crafting Update

Comments

• Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    Wow. My comment was deleted.

It wasn't disparaging to Cryptic or others, AFAIK.

I just pointed out that the F2P system drives development.
    That's not necessarily bad, obviously the game needs to make money.

A quick couple of points.

Discussing moderation is a non-no.

Secondly, you're not the only one who is wondering who is wandering about with a big eraser.
  • Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    rinkster wrote: »

Secondly, you're not the only one who is wondering who is wandering about with a big eraser.

I think Cryptic is resorting to erasing messages as they appear that goes against the whole crafting revamp which is bad.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have to agree with you two also. DL devalues the crafting system completely and the new system is an even larger DL sink than the current one. If no one bothers with it, they will either have to change it or scrap it. Sadly, the dev team hasn't realized that a lack of things added to the original crafting system let that fade and the DL requirements further added the nails in the coffin for the current one.

I will give credit where it's due on one thing.

As far as I see two things killed the old crafting. The Dilithium cost first and foremost and from two angles, first the fact that it cost dilithium at all the second you could get almost all the gear from the Dilithium store for less dilithium. It was actually more expensive to craft.

Two, the fact that all of that crafted gear topped out at MkXI.

Then all the rep gear came at MkXII + Fleet Gear and you didn't even need a fork it was done like three day smoked barbecue, the meat just melted off the bone.

So I'll give them credit that the new crafting system at least goes to MkXII and has unique items wholly separate in abilities from established gear offering choice.

With the added features that will launch with the expansion especially mod selection we could have something nice. But modular construction should be the backbone to begin with.

As it stands now, it's a nice menu but the prices are terrible. Hawk has said that the dilithium costs are coming down so it's a wait and see about where they finish out. It's still not everything they could get out of a crafting system though.

htingram wrote: »
    I'm a bit PISSED that the Aegis set that was a universal set is now unto converted top a MKXII and thus no longer universal. I would craft this set as a way to not have to keep assembling TRIBBLE onto a ship while leveling up. indeed I am using it now on lev 20 and 30 characters for little more then farming, these are characters tht I dont give two ****s about normally cause I do nothing with them except use them for farming marks or dilithium or faming MK VI purples to sell on the market. If they get to 50 I often delete them and craft a new set for a new lowbe. That your now removing the only truely universal set is once again a kick in the mouth NERF to those that PAY YOU to play instad of the fre to play leeches. frankly this is the last draw, My suscription is done and I have zero reason to pay you a dime ever again. Just you remeber that as you go foward punishing those thaty have been loyal subscribers all these years that EARNED their reputation and sets by doing what yuou demanded we do, GRIND. Now you turn around and say your too powerful. I say then whats hte point of reputation if we can not USE what we earned!?! And now your going to frceabily make a change to ageis set? Whats next removing all the crafted and Fleet and embasy kits from the game cause we that have them find your new kit system repugnat? You hav ruined this game, uterly and completly ruined it. ***** a great franchise and soiled it with dysfunction and illogical changes that do noing but PUNISH players that played and paid, and rward those that are lazy and did nothing for years in teh game but ***** that they had to grind reputation or spend money to attain lobi crystals to get gear they wanted.

You know it's interesting as I never even considered that myself.

Most of the complaints I heard about the Aegis set was that it was inferior to the rest of the top sets in the game and indeed, the Aegis' stats were apparently Mk X.5, not even full MkXI.

Since I don't make that many characters using the Aegis as a leveler's set didn't dawn on me.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    I think Cryptic is resorting to erasing messages as they appear that goes against the whole crafting revamp which is bad.

You may say that, i couldn't possibly comment.

Except to say that, on the whole, I've been broadly supportive of the changes.

I have but one, concrete issue.

The randomness of result, coupled with five figure layout of dilithium.

I consider that a fundamentally poor piece of design.

However, I'm looking forward to the rest of it......provided I'm not required to gamble with multiple days worth of refined dilithium to do so.
  • Options
    phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Thanks for the heads up.
    captaind3 wrote: »
    You know it's interesting as I never even considered that myself.

Most of the complaints I heard about the Aegis set was that it was inferior to the rest of the top sets in the game and indeed, the Aegis' stats were apparently Mk X.5, not even full MkXI.

Since I don't make that many characters using the Aegis as a leveler's set didn't dawn on me.

That totally slipped my mine too. I did the exact same thing when I crafted the Aegis set: gave it to a new sci char to get going until Rep gear.

That appears to no longer be possible.

The poster may have been a bit emotional, but he has a good point.
    However, I'm looking forward to the rest of it......provided I'm not required to gamble with multiple days worth of refined dilithium to do so.

The one thing I do like is customizing modifiers. That and the omni beams.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • Options
    htingramhtingram Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The curent Ageis universal Set is best used for between lev 10 till about lev 30 then you go to Dominion sets. then at 50 start on reputation. but with the removal of MK XI reputation sets that last step is a little further away then it was before... Indeed we now can get a freee MK XI Reman Shield but never get the MK XI Engine and Deflector cause they removed them from the reputation system in favor of MK XII only versions.

AGEIS Universal sets were not great, they were not ment to be great but they were useful for those that maxed out their crafting cause for about 45k dil they could quickly craft a set for fleet mate or new lowbe of their own to use for a long period of time without needed to change it. Thats all it was good for. Now it just being turned into a crappy set with little use to no use. And those with it now will be STRIPPED of its ability to be used on lowbes. Thats just wrong. period!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    htingram wrote: »
    The curent Ageis universal Set is best used for between lev 10 till about lev 30 then you go to Dominion sets. then at 50 start on reputation. but with the removal of MK XI reputation sets that last step is a little further away then it was before... Indeed we now can get a freee MK XI Reman Shield but never get the MK XI Engine and Deflector cause they removed them from the reputation system in favor of MK XII only versions.

AGEIS Universal sets were not great, they were not ment to be great but they were useful for those that maxed out their crafting cause for about 45k dil they could quickly craft a set for fleet mate or new lowbe of their own to use for a long period of time without needed to change it. Thats all it was good for. Now it just being turned into a crappy set with little use to no use. And those with it now will be STRIPPED of its ability to be used on lowbes. Thats just wrong. period!

First I agree with the ability to use it as a leveling set totally.

I disagree with the idea that it wasn't great though. Before I was able to upgrade to MACO gear I used to tank pretty damn effectively in the full Aegis set, I still think it was an excellent investment. It would be nice if as a legacy feature you could still use the MkXII Aegis on lower level characters. I know, not gonna happen, but it would be nice.
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,800 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I made a brief study of the new crafting system.

I like the idea of being able to fabricate a ominidirectional beam array in polaron and plasma damages.
    I might even make one in tetryon if I ever use a ship that has a tetryon based weapons layout.

The TR-116B might also be worth fabricating.
    I'd have to make several of those, one for each character (4 at the moment).

But I'm still hesitant about a few things.

1. How much useless vendor trash will I have to fabricate to reach level 15 in beams and ground weapons? And what will be the cost in materials, energy credits etc to do so?

2. I don't like the idea of timers. It'll already be a substantial investment of time even without the timers on the projects.

3. Catalysts.
    When I read that word, my brain went blank, needed to reinitialize and when it started back up, there were a lot of curse words involved!
    I am well familiar with that concept from Champions Online and it is the main reason I abandoned crafting in that game!
    I didn't like the idea of paying money to craft, that's what Catalysts are, you are buying items from C-Store to make your crafting better/more successful.
    You can be assured if Catalysts are required, then I will do exactly what I did in CO and avoid Crafting forever!

4. Practicality will result in focussed efforts.
    Given the amount of work involved, I will focus exclusively on only what I need to do in order to obtain the items I desire.
    Which means I will ignore everything except beams and ground weapons, because I won't have the resources to do all the crafting fields to maximum level.

Anyway, that's my feedback so far.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I love the smell of censorship in the morning.

But seriously - no news, no patch notes, no patch? Okay then.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, we were warned...

...and then notified that we hadn't properly heeded the warning...

...and yet there is still negative feedback to be found concerning the crafting system. If (*ahem* allegedly) there were missing posts, those posts might (*cough* allegedly) not be in compliance with what we were (*harumph* allegedly) told could or could not be posted (allegedly)?

You realize that it wasn't for saying crafting sucks. It was for the people who out and out insulted players and Cryptic themselves.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    I love the smell of censorship in the morning.

But seriously - no news, no patch notes, no patch? Okay then.

Sorry - on a cell phone, but patch notes don't come until 8 EDT
  • Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Sorry - on a cell phone, but patch notes don't come until 8 EDT

Hm, my bad. I thought I saw a post somewhere about Maintainence.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    tilarta wrote: »
    I made a brief study of the new crafting system.

I like the idea of being able to fabricate a ominidirectional beam array in polaron and plasma damages.
    I might even make one in tetryon if I ever use a ship that has a tetryon based weapons layout.

The TR-116B might also be worth fabricating.
    I'd have to make several of those, one for each character (4 at the moment).

But I'm still hesitant about a few things.

1. How much useless vendor trash will I have to fabricate to reach level 15 in beams and ground weapons? And what will be the cost in materials, energy credits etc to do so?

2. I don't like the idea of timers. It'll already be a substantial investment of time even without the timers on the projects.

3. Catalysts.
    When I read that word, my brain went blank, needed to reinitialize and when it started back up, there were a lot of curse words involved!
    I am well familiar with that concept from Champions Online and it is the main reason I abandoned crafting in that game!
    I didn't like the idea of paying money to craft, that's what Catalysts are, you are buying items from C-Store to make your crafting better/more successful.
    You can be assured if Catalysts are required, then I will do exactly what I did in CO and avoid Crafting forever!

4. Practicality will result in focussed efforts.
    Given the amount of work involved, I will focus exclusively on only what I need to do in order to obtain the items I desire.
    Which means I will ignore everything except beams and ground weapons, because I won't have the resources to do all the crafting fields to maximum level.

Anyway, that's my feedback so far.
    1. http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=17727031#post17727031
    This post should help you. Brace yourself though. Of course those results are subject to change.

2. The timers would be much easier to swallow without the dilithium costs.

3. They haven't even unveiled crafting here. I doubt anything besides people not buying them will convince them to lose the catalysts.

4. That sounds like a wise strategy, I'm going in on beams myself.
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You realize that it wasn't for saying crafting sucks. It was for the people who out and out insulted players and Cryptic themselves.

Yes, if we were (*cough* allegedly) discussing moderation, which we are not, I may have been quoting the posts given to us by the devs (*snuffle* allegedly) outlining what we could and could not post, in response to some (*clears throat* alleged) concerns about (*clears throat a second time* allegedly) disappearing posts. If we were discussing the (*coughs again* allegedly) disappearing posts, those posts would not be (*ahem* allegedly) disappearing for negative feedback. ;)
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    kasrakenkasraken Member Posts: 213 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    3. Catalysts.
    When I read that word, my brain went blank, needed to reinitialize and when it started back up, there were a lot of curse words involved!...

In the Podcast at Priority One, Al Rivera said that he thinks the highest level catalyst adds 50.

So with the 33% max to crit on an item, plus the highest level catalyst, we would end up with about 83% crit chance.

If the "cap" does not allow catalysts to go past 33% (or some other hard cap number) then it would only be useful to bring us up to cap if we had a lower skill.

Note: There are two spots to add catalysts on the item, so 133% chance to crit?
    MacoShield_zpsus2ux3rw.png
    Operational Support Team
    Squishing Bugs for a better future
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    digby1957 wrote: »
    Junk the poor attempt at a crafting revamp and go over to Dark Age of Camelot and learn from their crafting system then come back and try again.....just saying :P
    If the DA of C wiki is any indication.... it's not widely liked in that game... and expensive.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    bombassdmbbombassdmb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I have the same question. I have read that there will be no Dilithium required to craft items MK X and below. Is this in fact the case? And will this be an efficient way of leveling up in the crafting schools even if it is not the fastest? I would like to save the Dilithium to craft items I am going to want/use.

Edit: Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but I have neither the time nor patience to read through 75 pages of posts...would be nice if we had a FAQ blog in the near future.
    SRS Fleet Recruiter
    Please feel free to contact me in game (@BombAssDMB) for information on the
    SPECIAL RECONNAISSANCE SQUADRON or visit our website: http://www.srs-fleet.net/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    bombassdmb wrote: »

Edit: Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but I have neither the time nor patience to read through 75 pages of posts...would be nice if we had a FAQ blog in the near future.

Sadly, a predictable artefact of the latest fad of compiling all threads into one.
  • Options
    bombassdmbbombassdmb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Sadly, a predictable artefact of the latest fad of compiling all threads into one.

What happened to each Blog getting its own thread? Is the internet running out of room or something? I'm sure we can put some of those cat pictures in storage somewhere right??
    SRS Fleet Recruiter
    Please feel free to contact me in game (@BombAssDMB) for information on the
    SPECIAL RECONNAISSANCE SQUADRON or visit our website: http://www.srs-fleet.net/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    What happened to each Blog getting its own thread? Is the internet running out of room or something? I'm sure we can put some of those cat pictures in storage somewhere right??

It seems to be a new policy.

Although, to what end, is rather unclear.
  • Options
    chaosgod777chaosgod777 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would just like to add my 2 cents about the xp grind in this system. I know it's been said, and I know that it's been refered to here at some point but I would again like to draw atention to the hard numbers of the level up xp grind in this.

As the system stands on tribble right now we get this...
    kasraken wrote: »
    Someone asked for this so here are some quick and dirty hard numbers from my time crafting under the new system.

With 600 being the standard XP received per hour (no matter what you craft ..other than the “special” items.. it comes out to 600xp per hour).

Here is the number of hours or XP to level up to 10th.
    0 to 1st = 0.05 or 30xp
    1st to 2nd = 0.38 or 260xp
    2nd to 3rd = 16.23 or 10,000xp
    3rd to 4th = 33.33 or 30,000xp
    4th to 5th = 30 or 48,000xp
    5th to 6th = 34 or 68,400xp
    6th to 7th = 42 or 93,600xp
    7th to 8th = 45 or 120,600xp
    8th to 9th = 48 or 149,400xp
    9th to 10th = 51 or 180,000xp

The above is if you don't use dilithium to "finish now". You also need to add the hours together to get a total time for going from 1st level to 10th in just that one school (in this case 300 hours).

Don't sound too bad ..right? Just under 13 days and you could be level 10!

Lets look at the numbers going from level 11 to 15.
    Finally.. you are level 10 and can make all the components, but you want to be able to make the special items from this school, so you need to get to level 15.
    10th to 11th =120 or 252,000xp
    11th to 12th = 135 or 333,000xp
    12th to 13th = 150 or 423,000xp
    13th to 14th = 165 or 522,000xp
    14th to 15th = 180 or 630,000xp

So 1050 total hours into crafting (if you don't "finish now") you are able to craft the special items. That's nearly 44 days if you keep on top of things and can manage the materials required to keep it moving.

You decide to max out the school but level 16 requires a hefty price, what most games call a "HELL LEVEL" It costs 420 hours just to go from 15 to 16!
    15th to 16th = 420 or 882,000xp
    16th to 17th = 450 or 1,152,000xp
    17th to 18th = 480 or 1,440,000xp
    18th to 19th = 510 or 1,746,000xp
    19th to 20th = 540 or 2,070,000xp

After 3450 hours (just under 144 days) and a minimum of 103,500 materials (3450 hourly projects consisting of 6 components per item with each component requiring 5 materials) you have mastered your first school.

Congratulations!

mind you that is just a single school of training. If, and I stress the if, nothing else about this system changes people looking to become master craftsman would have to put in years of work. How is that justified?! That is the worst grind I have heard of in any game I have ever played! Sure you can rush it but remember now each hour is about 1000 dilithium and dilithium equals real money in this game.
    It would take 3,450,000 dilithium or 23,000 zen or again if you paid money for the zen and converted it to dilithium its $230 US.

I expect experience values will be tweaked a bit to lessen the grind and burden but this is again cold hard facts as it stands now. I also half expect this post to be gone tomorow morning but whatever. nothing surprises me at this point. I'll just pay the multi milions of ec people are going to sell these items for...assuming there are any I want. They will put out something more overpowered in a year anyway. Have fun with this one all.
  • Options
    possiblyboredpossiblybored Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As someone who extensively uses the current exploration areas as a means of gathering crafting material in bulk, I beg you to reconsider your decision to remove this feature from the game.

One of my favorite things to do in this game is to visit the different nebulas and scan anomalies for crafting materials. I then craft materials for friends or our fleet--this is a great way to help new captains access decent gear early on. I love doing it and I'd happily scan all day long.

One captain's hated grind is another captain's Trek fantasy. I hope you'll consider adding a spot to each nebula where we can scan for materials over and over. Like the previous system, I'd be totally fine with each nebula having different materials, and having to visit them all to get all the materials.

Getting a few materials here and there from duty officer missions or from running battles isn't consistent or reliable. I flew to a few of the nebulas in Tribble just now and they didn't even have doff missions that reward supplies--only the usual sector space missions.

I'm willing to do whatever it takes to be successful in the new crafting system, but I'm very worried that I will not have enough supplies to participate.

Back to hoarding supplies on Holodeck! :-)
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have the same question. I have read that there will be no Dilithium required to craft items MK X and below. Is this in fact the case? And will this be an efficient way of leveling up in the crafting schools even if it is not the fastest? I would like to save the Dilithium to craft items I am going to want/use.

This, from the Official New Crafting System "Research and Development" Feedback Thread...
    You have inspired me to come up with that exact calculation. I did the calculation assuming you would add in the additional man-power as you progressed and assumed once you got to lvl 5 in one school, then you would level two other to lvl 5 to get the extra slot. Then knock them down one at a time to 20 beyond that (picking up the 2nd and 3rd school at lvl 5). The estimates are still just as daunting as yours and just continues to illustrate the tedium of the system they created. My calcs are based on making just Mk VI items (the 600 XP/hr/slot rate)

Here are mine:

First School

Number of Hours - 759
    Number of 24 hr Days - 31.6
    Number of 4 hr Play Sessions - 189.75
    Number of Items - 3,453
    Common Materials - 51,795
    Uncommon Materials - 51,795

Second and Third School (Taken to lvl 5 First for the 4th crafting slot, then picked up when lvl 20 is hit for first school)

Number of Hours - 701
    Number of 24 hr Days - 29.2
    Number of 4 hr Play Sessions - 175.25
    Number of Items - 3,451
    Common Materials - 51,765
    Uncommon Materials - 51,765

Fourth-Seventh Schools

Number of Hours - 690
    Number of 24 hr Days - 28.8
    Number of 4 hr Play Sessions - 172.5
    Number of Items - 3,450
    Common Materials - 51,750
    Uncommon Materials - 51,750

Total Investment w/o Dilithium shortcuts or Dilithium Subcomps

First School + 2xSecond&Third + 4xFourth-Seventh

Number of Hours - 4,921
    Number of 24 hr Days - 205.04
    Number of 4 hr Play Sessions - 1,230.25
    Number of Items - 24,155
    Common Materials - 362,325
    Uncommon Materials - 362,325

The whole system is designed punitively. There is no real benefit from leveling up in more than one because the time to level is only marginally reduced. Clearly there is no benefit to do this on more than one character just because of the tedium built into the system. I should go ahead and calculate the number of mouse clicks this will take just to show how ridiculous the current numbers are on Tribble. Not just the dilithium, but all of them, the XP breaks, the XP earned, the timers, the dilithium. All of it.
    My suggestion to you for leveling is to stick with the MKVI or below. Everything is scaled to 600XP per hour regardless. You will not level up faster because the XP/Completion time will always be 600/hr. While you are playing, make the MKVI or below. Now before you log off, if you can, craft an item with a longer timer.

...should answer your question. Basically, yes, you should rank up by making junk since the return is set at 600 crafting xp per hour of the project's duration.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It seems to be a new policy.

Although, to what end, is rather unclear.

It makes more sense to do it this way where all the major feedback is for the new system when it spans multiple blogs than having it in multiple threads.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    sythkainynsythkainyn Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Personally: I like the old system, but not most of its outputs; I dislike the new system, but like some of its potential outputs. Based on the current balance of system vs. outcomes, I think I'll miss the old one when the new one supplants it. At least we'll still have Defera (Yes, I checked; it will still be based on and advance your General Research Skill unless they mess with that in an upcoming Tribble patch).

I was originally looking forward to the new system for pretty much the same reason, more variety and choice of items to make and more of the item modifiers. Until I found out what was being done with it and the fact that the resultant items had a large portion of randomness to them. I didn't remember Defera had crafting, I'll have to check that out if it doesn't change too.

Not sure the post you responded to requires a resonse, though; it was the first post ever by a set of six random letters... meh.

Yeah... but somehow it struck me as one of those posts that if no one responded to would leave an implied and inaccurate 'admission' in some of the readers of it, that the old system wasn't of any use or in anyway superior to the new one.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Yes until MK X no Dilithium is required, but you can skip the 1h Projects for 900 Dilithium ... and that's what a normal person HAS to do imho ... (= several thousand items of Vendor Trash, btw)

Otherwise you'll have to play for ~1 year without sleep slotting 24x 1h Projects every day, to get everything to Level 20 ... if you want to sleep, go to work etc, you'll probably be an old man, when you finish crafting ...

I.E. : If you manage to play 4h EVERY day, you'll be done in 3,5 years ... in other words "completely insane"
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    hawkyenarasumashawkyenarasumas Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If the DA of C wiki is any indication.... it's not widely liked in that game... and expensive.

Where does it say that...? No matter. *Cracks knuckles* Sir, you just happen to have a bona fide expert on that subject. I have maxed out every craft in that game in my 10+ years of playing, and I do have a thought or two of my own.

Where to begin? Well, to start with, the crafting in DeeAyOhSee is universally recognized as USEFUL, from both a production and consumption standpoint.. It's the only game where to this day I can log in, quickly make some stuff, and sell it AT A PROFIT. I keep my in-game house paid off by logging on every once in a blue moon and making some potions to sell. Heck, I might still see requests for crafting when I visit Camelot City on a nostalgia trip. People want crafted items. They're actually requested. And why not? Combine the tradeskills in that game and you can get a full set of equipment tailor-made exactly the way you want it (to the point where templating became srs bsns), and potions that will give you a genuine edge, especially if you're flying solo.

Expensive? The investment capital can be rather substantial, yes. However, once you've maxed tradeskills out, it's a relatively small matter to make that money back and then some. I was able to buy the most expensive house in the game, back when it was still 100 platinum, using mostly money raised from tradeskills. The salvaging and trinketing that you can do makes it even more cost efficient when you can turn ROG loot that you'd vendor anyway into even more coin.

The one thing that shatters my rose-colored glasses on the subject was the time investment, which was brutal. Higher-level items can take 20-30 seconds apiece to make with no automation mechanic in place to speed things along.

...Wait, the R&D items are going to take how long?

Despite what Disgruntled Wiki User Number A has to say on the subject, a lot of games could learn from Dayock's very early example of how to do crafting right. Was the system perfect? By no means. And it had to make improvements over time to get there. But the fact that I haven't yet seen anything better says something.
    ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
    Admiral Hawkye L. Narasumas
    Commanding Officer, NX-91883 U.S.S. Harmony - Prometheus Class Custom Variant
    Fleet Commander, No Fate

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Can't craft warp cores?