test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Discussion Thread: Season 9.5 Crafting Update

Comments

• futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    What will happen to existing Aegis set pieces? Updated to the new specs, or not?
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You already decided what crafting is going to look like,you don't want or "need" our approval or feedback.

I know right? It's almost as if they're the developers of the game :rolleyes:

Joking aside, the new Blog did catch my attention but as ever, I feel left with more questions than answers.

So there's a 360-polaron Beam you can make - can you make 360 versions of all energy types?

So you can make wide-arc AP cannons - can you make wide-arc cannons of all energy types, etc etc. Same for the Torpedo launcher you showed off, and the consoles.

The Aegis is another thing that I felt needed more explanation. Glad to see that it's going to be a Mk XII item, but seeing as I already grinded the old system to get it, will my old sets get upgraded to the new stats or will I be expected to grind my behind off again to get the newer set?

As for the TR-116 - Well, that's just awesome. Red Matter Capacitor while you're at it?

So yeah. Intrigued but ultimately not excited just yet.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So you are adding unique modifiers to crafted gear but what's the point if lets say you want the arc cannons but you are limited to one per ship? Again, what's the point?

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Q
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    So there's a 360-polaron Beam you can make - can you make 360 versions of all energy types?

So you can make wide-arc AP cannons - can you make wide-arc cannons of all energy types, etc etc. Same for the Torpedo launcher you showed off, and the consoles.

You can make 360 beams of each of the standard energy types. Same with the 90 DHCs. You can only equip a single 360 beam though, can't equip multiples or multiple varieties. Same for the 90 DHCs.

Plasma Torp was the only one there...

Consoles were the only ones there...

Might see more as time goes along, but that's what's been on Tribble so far.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You can make 360 beams of each of the standard energy types. Same with the 90 DHCs. You can only equip a single 360 beam though, can't equip multiples or multiple varieties. Same for the 90 DHCs.

Ah, good. The beams thing makes sense - the AP one is tremendously popular.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, lets see. First, why is this dev blog dated the 25th? And buried a few items behind current?

Second, no mention in the blog about the beam turret and wide arc duel cannons being one of that weapon type per ship, instead of one per energy weapon type, like it could be implied. I assume that it is still one per weapon type, so only one beam turret of any energy type for instance?

Nothing about the Exotic particle field exciter?

Also about both the exciter and the RCS console, the when healed, does that count if we heal ourselves, or only if someone else does it?

TR-116B, best borg weapon in the game I think. Only thing worth crafting at this point for me.

Traits, hmmm, on the beam and cannons, is it even possible to activate three beam or cannon skills in 20 seconds? I mean global cooldown is 15 seconds, and that can't be reduced so I don't think so. As for the rest, power creep much?

Modifiers, again with the chance? So, we have a chance to get rare materials to craft with. We have a chance to get purple. And now we have a chance to get over powered mods.

You know, I should have thought of this earlier, and even so, I know that you probably wouldn't have done anything, but for what it is worth, my ideas on how to make a better crafting system than this and still have your money sinks. These are based on other crafting systems I've seen in the past in other games.

Idea one. Mostly the same, but the rarity of the item being crafted is totally dependent on the skill of the crafter, plus the doffs used. So a low level crafter can craft Mark XII, but could only manage white, for instance. But a max level crafter can craft purple items. Here is the dilithium sink. That beginning level crafter can craft purple level items if he pays more dilithium. The max level crafter can get a purple level item with one of the special mods only if he pays some dilithium. This is over the dilithium in the materials. This way, the crafter knows what he is getting before hand, no gambling, and you get dilithium sales from everyone wanting it now, and everyone wanting these overpowered items.

Idea two. Mostly the same, but the level of the crafter determines how many items one needs for an item. So a beginner level crafter can craft a Mark XII item, and can choose the rarity, but for Mark XII purple, he would need to shovel out say 4 times the amount a max level crafter would. But if he pays enough dilithium, the beginning crafter can use less materials, including less rare items. A max level crafter could craft a Mark XII item with not additional dilithium besides what is in the materials, but if he pays more, he can also skip the rare materials. Again, crafters get what they want, no gambling, and you get a dilithium sink.

Anyway, my top level feedback, please see the tribble patch notes threads for more specific feed back on the version on Tribble right now.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    FAW cool down duration and that beam trait are still incompatible, you will never get more then 1 stack. on the other hand cloakers can charge up BO damage in an exploity way, by cycling it 3 times wile cloaked before attacking.
  • gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    More options for customization and build diversity is always good. I'm digging the new gear.
  • damiendarkcastdamiendarkcast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    A Borg warp or singularity core for the Borg set would be nice :)
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    FAW cool down duration and that beam trait are still incompatible, you will never get more then 1 stack. on the other hand cloakers can charge up BO damage in an exploity way, by cycling it 3 times wile cloaked before attacking.

Yeah maybe the romulan republic characters that have mostly reman crew for the long cloak ambush long enough to do that but with that tactical disabling function they put in months ago it prevents you from just stacking them one on top of the other.

Although would be nice if KDF had something to improve their situation of not being on par where they can't extend their cloak ambush.

Seems like if you aren't using Arc right now as well that the website is totally jacked up.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Meh,a 360* polaron array could be fun, but it'd be more fun if it matched the rest of my phased-polaron lockbox gear.

...So, can modifiers be changed ? I got a few mk 12 sets of Borg gear I need updated.
    :cool:
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • mathcubemathcube Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hey everyone! Check out AdjudicatorHawk's latest Dev Blog on the Crafting Update, featuring all sorts of wonderful gear and traits you can get! Check out the blog here.

~LaughingTrendy
    What are the set bonuses for Aegis? I don't see them in the article.
  • kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 695 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mathcube wrote: »
    What are the set bonuses for Aegis? I don't see them in the article.

Also, will our old Aegis equipment be automatically upgraded, or will we have to just craft our Aegis sets all over again?
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Am I reading this right? The Exotic Particle Field Exciter is both a particle generator and a field generator.

http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/arc/eb/d4/ebd4f4cb719822c9459c85cdf7554a091403745557.png

Oddly, that image was included in the dev blog with no commentary from adjudicatorhawk.

I don't think the [Over] modifier is a good idea. The resulting drain to weapon power may lower your overall damage, unless the proc doesn't drain weapon power like a normal BO.

You might also want to rename the new [Amp] modifier for shields so that it is not confused with the [AMP] modifier for warp cores and singularity cores.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
    edited July 2014
    edit: BnC pointed out the issue with the duplicate CD on FAW - my post was incorrect.
    edited July 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »
    Am I reading this right? The Exotic Particle Field Exciter is both a particle generator and a field generator.

http://images-cdn.perfectworld.com/arc/eb/d4/ebd4f4cb719822c9459c85cdf7554a091403745557.png

Oddly, that image was included in the dev blog with no commentary from adjudicatorhawk.

I don't think the [Over] modifier is a good idea. The resulting drain to weapon power may lower your overall damage, unless the proc doesn't drain weapon power like a normal BO.

It may be reading too much into it (wouldn't be a first for me), but in looking at...
    [Over] – This mod gives all of its weapons’ attacks a small chance to trigger a free Beam Overload for the next beam weapon that fires.

"free"...could be free - free of weapon drain/etc/etc/etc.

As for the Exciter, it does seem off some when comparing it to the Engineering console...
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Meh, still not seeing anything worth getting hyped over.

Still is random and still cannot choose modifiers. Is Dilithium still involved? I bet it is...
    Thing is, there's a solution close at hand, but they seem to be missing it. "What is it?" you ask. Well, if you can apply the ship/console logic to kits, why not follow suit for, say, weapons? In other words: make the mods themselves craftable components that can be slotted into weapons as you see fit (reference).
    New Aegis set in BOP, so bang goes making them for selling on the exchange.
    I always wondered about stuff like this. If you want to encourage folks to trade equipment, shouldn't binding be much less common than it is currently?
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I am getting confused: what is NOT random on these crafted items?
    Anything? Or is everything random?

If I want disruptors can I make those or is there some random chance I end up with phasers or tetryons???

Is Dilithium prices for crafting associated to Mark of the equipment? Just "colors" (white/green/blue/purple) are random? I won't get a Mark 11 if I run a Mark 12 Doff assignment? And will Mark 11 Purples still be equal to Mark 12 Blue?

And I saw something called "Catalyst" Doffs to slot in the assignments on the Tribble.
    Where do we get those?? Are those purchase for Zen Doffs? What do they do, exactly?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    kirimuffin wrote: »
    Also, will our old Aegis equipment be automatically upgraded, or will we have to just craft our Aegis sets all over again?

The old set is automatically updated to the new stats. Functionally it's identical to the newly crafted stuff (although it isn't Ultrarare).
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Ability #1...20s duration, 15s later Ability #2. 5s left on that first stack, 20s on the 2nd stack or 20s on both stacks? Without it being 20s on both stacks, you could never get to the third stack.

Yeah, that's how it works. Each activation of an ability refreshes the stack. It's meant to encourage "power twisting", basically. Bonuses and values still subject to tuning, I think I started a little low on them so that all you guys would ever see was buffing. :P
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    'ultraviolet'?
    Ultraviolet isn't visible to humans. Therefore it has no color we can discern. Cryptic's version looks more like a fuchsia to me anyway.

As others have voiced, no mention of previous Aegis sets. I have one myself.

Has anyone loaded an older Aegis set in tribble to see what happens?

EDIT: hawk beat me to it. Not ultrarare, too bad. At least it's something. Can we run a 'register' doff mission or something that gives us a chance to upgrade to UR?
    Yeah, that's how it works. Each activation of an ability refreshes the stack. It's meant to encourage "power twisting", basically. Bonuses and values still subject to tuning, I think I started a little low on them so that all you guys would ever see was buffing. :P

...until it gets nerfed cause it's OP in PvP (which I don't play).
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I really like the new modifiers, but we the players are getting way to powerfull the content needs to adapt as well.
    Bridger.png
    edited July 2014
    The old set is automatically updated to the new stats. Functionally it's identical to the newly crafted stuff (although it isn't Ultrarare).

Funny way back before the extra inventory and bank stuff was added a lot of my characters that were around before free to play I had to recycle my aegis sets because they were just collecting dust and taking up space I didn't have. Oh well :(
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    In a recent interview, Al Rivera (CaptainGeko) said that the ability to change the modifiers on our equipment would be included in the second iteration of the crafting revamp. I do think it is a mistake to launch the crafting revamp without this feature, but perhaps it may not matter, because he said that you would need a high crafting level to be able to swap modifiers. By the time people reach the required level, they will release the second iteration. Of course, some people may reach that level faster than expected, especially if they hit the "Finish Now" button.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • QQ Member Posts: 252
    edited July 2014
    Forum Thread Sweep Commencing,

Activate Baryon Sweep.

Warning, all bio-organic material will be eliminated. Please heed necessary Starfleet regulations regarding evacuation of your ship before the sweep begins.

Initializing Sweep.
  • xsupersnailxxsupersnailx Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Ummm... I found something that makes NO sense about the Aegis set. The shield has a massive cap and boosts shield power (great for tanks/sci), the deflector has a huge bonus to shield cap(great for tanks/sci) and... the engine gives a defense bonus???????
    edited July 2014
    Q wrote: »
    Forum Thread Sweep Commencing,

Activate Baryon Sweep.

Warning, all bio-organic material will be eliminated. Please heed necessary Starfleet regulations regarding evacuation of your ship before the sweep begins.

Initializing Sweep.

I am a warrior of the empire I don't adhear to your Starfleet Regulations!
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If we have mixed Rare and Ultra Rare pieces that are part of a set, will we get a set bonus? Or will Rare and Ultra Rare pieces each be part of there own separate set?

For example, if we have Rare Aegis engines and shields and an Ultra Rare Aegis deflector, will we get the three piece bonus? or a two piece?
    y1arXbh.png

edited July 2014

That's kind of a pleasant surprise.
  • kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 695 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Sweet; thanks.