test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance (June 5, 2014) [Complete]

1235»

Comments

• kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Perhaps I don't have enough Ferengi in me...

I always thought the point of doing things in game was for fun, not for the rewards. Or more precisely, the only reward worth getting from a game is fun.

This change won't effect me at all, save for those days I do a ton of PvP I will get a bit less dil. Since I am overstocked on unrefined dil as it is, they can keep it.

If you are playing this game by rewards/hour, you are doing it quite wrong. A paper route would earn you more in game rewards...
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    olivia211 wrote: »
    Also keep in mind that they outsource all their debugging and coding. It is not done in house. I remember Bran Flakes (if I remember correctly) mentioning this about a year and a half ago. The Devs they have in house can design things like environments and even missions, but the coding itself is done elsewhere. Unless they have changed that, I can see some of this being an issue.

Holy derping hurr durr herp. I'm actually lost for words, and the words I still got are too profane.

That's propably the VERY WORST thing you can do coding wise, apart from letting a monkey do it by slapping the keyboard with a rotten banana. Even the most amateur modders know that.

Actually this explains the glaring incompetence of STO coding and all the bugs.

This explains all the fails. I'm surprised at the fact that the game is even running.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • roushguythegamerroushguythegamer Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Transphasics, obviously, would have very little inverse shield ignoring, and probably a low-ish amount of shield puncturing, in my opinion. That straight 40% would be your benefit. You can fire it at a ship with high shields and /know/ you're going to get damage.
  • adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    burstorion wrote: »
    pvp dil nerf = do task, leave pvp as theres no reward (other than bragging rights)
    So, people will have no reason to PvP other than *gasp* fun?

How dare you make fun the point of the game! :D
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,435 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We sure have a lot of armchair coders in here.

If you're so certain you can do a better job than anyone currently working on the game, go to Cryptic's website and click on "Careers". They're hiring for position in both Los Gatos and Seattle currently. (Sadly, the only one I come close to qualifying for is Office Manager in Seattle, and I have absolutely no experience at actually managing anything...)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tenkari wrote: »
    would make transphasics the standard torpedo that way.... becasu with its innate 40% shield bypass to begin with, that measn once a shield facing is 50% or lower, its basically doing full damage

That's not how bleedthrough works. ;)
  • m4th3m4t1c14nm4th3m4t1c14n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tenkari wrote: »
    would make transphasics the standard torpedo that way.... becasu with its innate 40% shield bypass to begin with, that measn once a shield facing is 50% or lower, its basically doing full damage

Yeah, I had thought of that. I would probably reduce them to 20%, though I'm not sure it would actually be necessary since they do so little damage. If they were reduced to 20% penetration, I'm sure many people would still use other types.

I'm sure it would require a few changes to things other than transphasics as well. It's just a compromise that seems to address the issue where having any shields up at all, even 10%, heavily reduces torpedo damage.

Right now we already have a standard torpedo. That is, don't use torpedoes at all.
  • olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Holy derping hurr durr herp. I'm actually lost for words, and the words I still got are too profane.

That's propably the VERY WORST thing you can do coding wise, apart from letting a monkey do it by slapping the keyboard with a rotten banana. Even the most amateur modders know that.

Actually this explains the glaring incompetence of STO coding and all the bugs.

This explains all the fails. I'm surprised at the fact that the game is even running.

Hehe, I figured you would blow your top upon learning this. I was kind of amazed, too. That's the way of the world nowadays. Americans want too much money? Outsource it!
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
    edited June 2014
    jonsills wrote: »

If you're so certain you can do a better job than anyone currently working on the game, go to Cryptic's website and click on "Careers". They're hiring for position in both Los Gatos and Seattle currently. (Sadly, the only one I come close to qualifying for is Office Manager in Seattle, and I have absolutely no experience at actually managing anything...)

I would, but I kind of live on the other half of the planet.
    Hehe, I figured you would blow your top upon learning this. I was kind of amazed, too. That's the way of the world nowadays. Americans want too much money? Outsource it!

Yeah, I am apalled and shocked in equal measure. Its a blunder akin to trying to build a fire in a swimming pool full of water.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jonsills wrote: »

Oh, I'm no expert. Heck, I have an English degree. It took that one semester of C++ to get me to realize that I didn't want to learn coding. I did get the gist of it though and I hung around with a ton of coding nerds. They were good people and I respect what they do. I agree though that some people think you can just wave a magic wand and bugs are fixed. Heck no! Some of them can be a massive pain.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Green light on the launcher.
  • kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Its up.

10 char
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
    edited June 2014
    Oh, I'm no expert. Heck, I have an English degree. It took that one semester of C++ to get me to realize that I didn't want to learn coding. I did get the gist of it though and I hung around with a ton of coding nerds. They were good people and I respect what they do. I agree though that some people think you can just wave a magic wand and bugs are fixed. Heck no! Some of them can be a massive pain.

Oh, yes, I know that. I had quite some pains with tracking down bugs that could have causes in 6-10 places.

But item modification is one of the most basic things to do. Just editing numbers in a spreadsheat.

Coding in something totally new like giving a torpedo an ability to make your ship redistribute shields to the facing you AREN'T attacking, now that would be something hard to do.

This outsourcing also gives "Works as intended" a whole new meaning of "Those outsorced coders didnt do what we told them to do!"
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Vacation and OP new ship, here I come!

Hail Ba'al!
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Maintenance is now complete! Thanks for your patience. We'll see you back in-game!
    ~LaughingTrendy
This discussion has been closed.