Install Arc
Options

To Boldly Dance....like a puppet on a string^^

Comments

• Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    suzanna3 wrote: »
    sorry, I have to disagree, Azniadeet.....the misuse is clearly harrassment...here is just an example:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d35/DW-Suzanna/2013-10-11214022_zpse1904d75.jpg

I'm failing to see the "harassment" here. Just because someone doesn't move when you ask them to doesn't equal harassment. They have every right to be there,

Heck if your harassment threshold is that low, then you could say that telling someone to leave a public area is "harassment."
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    arthgon2049arthgon2049 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    You're both wrong, it should be called 'snow business like show business'

Oh, and Nebreeki, would Dental be open to the idea of allowing one instance on Risa disco ball free?

Just the one, we could call it K7.

Ok, that was much better than mine, I vote for yours to be the accolade!
  • Options
    arthgon2049arthgon2049 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm failing to see the "harassment" here. Just because someone doesn't move when you ask them to doesn't equal harassment. They have every right to be there,

Heck if your harassment threshold is that low, then you could say that telling someone to leave a public area is "harassment."

Well..think about it...why are people asked to leave certain public areas in RL? They are causing a disruption to others is typically the number one culprit.

You can't walk into a high-end establishment and treat it like it's Wal-Mart, you will be asked to leave.
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm failing to see the "harassment" here.

You're doing it wrong. To some, refusing to yield when they request you clear out so they can hold a private "hosted event" in a public social area is harassing them.

Just like if you ask them to leave a public social area so you can hold a private "hosted event," you're harassing them.

See how that works? ;)
  • Options
    onyxheart1onyxheart1 Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The Terms of Service are pretty clear, I will post them here to provide ease of reading:

15. User Conduct

15.1You must observe these Terms, all Rules of Conduct, all applicable laws and all basic rules of etiquette and common courtesy when using the Service. Any conduct that violates the law in an offline, real world community is also a violation of these terms. We will not tolerate any illegal or offensive conduct.

f. “stalk,” threaten or otherwise harass or cause discomfort to another;

h. impede or disrupt the Service or the normal flow of game play or dialogue in the Game or in Interactive Areas (defined below) in the Service or use vulgar language, abusiveness, use of excessive shouting (ALL CAPS), “spamming” or any other disruptive or detrimental methods in an attempt to disturb other users or our employees;

n. take any action that disrupts the Service or that negatively affects or may prohibit other users from enjoying the Website, the Games or any other aspect of the Service.

Of course there are two sides to every coin, some will find these Discoballs/Subspace Party Amplifiers fun, while others will not.

It is one thing to walk/jog/run through an area where they are being let off, it's another thing entirely when a person takes it upon themselves to follow your character around and continuously let them off, forcing your character to perform an unwarranted and unwanted action.

During player-run events, the less-savory people of our community will seek the event out and cause mayhem. When asked nicely and politely to stop, they refuse or use the common child routine of "this is my fun, so I'm going to do it anyway."

Multiple Discoballs/Subspace Party Amplifiers are not only a disruption to the flow of gameplay but they also can cause serious lag on most rigs.

In most other MMOs, anything that can affect the actions of the PC is on a short animation cycle and on a heavy cooldown.

Looking over the previous posts of this topic, I don't believe the issue is putting the pro-discoball/Subspace Party Amplifier crowd into a "ghetto", but a intelligent post bringing attention to a topic that impacts a fair portion of the community in STO. And to compare what is being said in this thread to Germany of the 1940s is not only disrespectful to the people that went through it, but a false argument. I will offer those that are comparing it to such an atrocious event, please go and re-read your history books.

I'm sure there are some that are done reading these types of threads, but if no one says anything, how will the powers-that-be know what's truly going on?

Someone above offered a brilliant solution and I will echo it here. The devices should either be restricted to specific locations of the game where they in fact make more sense, or there should be a client side option to turn them off. Same as can be done for the party balloons and the smoke guns and all. I would also throw in they shouldn't override any current player animations.

This way both crowds can be happy and find some sort of middle ground.

As we approach the Risa Summer Event, the only thing I can say is these Subspace Party Amplifiers are....so last year.

this is the most reasoned post i've seen in a while regarding the party amplifiers

*salutes* :)
    KDF for Life! <3 Romulan at Heart <3 Fed cause they made me ~ :P
    signature-omega.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    You're doing it wrong. To some, refusing to yield when they request you clear out so they can hold a private "hosted event" in a public social area is harassing them.

Just like if you ask them to leave a public social area so you can hold a private "hosted event," you're harassing them.

See how that works? ;)

uhhh when did people ask someone to clear out so they could hold the event?

it was them holding an event...and then someone else coming in to party bomb them

asking someone to stop, then asking them to leave when they don't...seems reasonable to me

after all...you behave that way in real life, the cops come to take you away. but since there's no 'police' online, people feel free to act the fool all the time, especially at the expense of their fellow players
    signature-omega.png
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yes there is a very simple solution to this imaginary problem. There's over 20+ locations where players can use email/banking/exchange/tailors. So the anti-disco ballers can just use another location rather than the 4 where the DBer's congregate.

Nope, that's not a solution. You talk like there's a group of like only 10 people that use the DBs only on previously arranged places. The fact is - anyone can use them anywhere if they're in the mood. Or should I restrict myslef as to where I use DBs because of what? Someone said so?

The easiest solution to this is an opt-out ability. Those who hate them can opt-out of the emotes and those who enjoy them can continue to use them wherever and whenever they want. It's a win-win both sides and an end to this everlasting debate.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    infammableinfammable Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Drop the mic. I'm out.

Edit: The "evidence" linked above looks like a radio party at Quark's -- a social zone -- and I don't particularly see the "harassment" or "griefing" alluded to there.

*picks the mic up*

Puh-lease! You soooooo harass players. Was going to read to end of thread, but then I came across this tripe. Why YOU of all people would attempt to claim something isn't harrassment is beyond me. What's the point? If it wasn't, that would simply mean you failed at your self appointed task.

I'd like to add something to the opt-out option: make players whom you ignore invisible. *poof* end of all harassment threads. Not only is that creepy stalker or party pooper silenced, but eliminated from your reality. This is done in other games, and is fantastic. Whether or not it's technically possible is another matter, but gosh it'd certainly make social gatherings more fun.

*drops the mic ...like a Boss!*
    Because it's the sound that steel shod boots make on the deck plating of a real warship. As opposed [to] the cushy carpeting on the Federation luxury liners.
    Archived post on the origin of the word "Klink"
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    plz dont feed the DB loving trolls
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    Every disco ball thread ever.

Group A: "I have the right to dance or not to dance."

Group B: "I have the right to make you dance the way I want you to."

Cryptic: "Other players have the right to make your characters dance whether they want to or not. Get over it. Don't forget to buy zen and follow us on Facebook."

Ha! Points!
    Because it's the sound that steel shod boots make on the deck plating of a real warship. As opposed [to] the cushy carpeting on the Federation luxury liners.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    This right here is why no one takes these threads seriously. People who disagree with your anti-DB position = trolls. As mentioned before, no meaningful discussion or debate can thrive on an issue when one side is uninterested in a discussion, would rather just cry wolf until the world itself loses any real meaning.

nah best solution is the ide i put on the table only ones not going to like it is one using DB to ruin other people fun for their own amusement right or wrong?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    blahhdreyblahhdrey Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    nah best solution is the ide i put on the table only ones not going to like it is one using DB to ruin other people fun for their own amusement right or wrong?

Wrong. Your "solution" weights the consequences of using a disco ball against those who use them. How about my disco grenades are destructible but the heartless robots who destroy them unload all of their GPL into my inventory to compensate me for the lost latinum? Or you know the people who are so 'mature' and 'discplined' could get over the fact that my video game character is dropping pixel dance parties near their video game characters on pixel space stations. It's a game.
    dEpN3nB.png?1
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    These threads get annoying. Something as insignificant as a glowing party ball sounds like someone is launching nuclear misslies...... :P
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    blahhdrey wrote: »
    Wrong. Your "solution" weights the consequences of using a disco ball against those who use them. How about my disco grenades are destructible but the heartless robots who destroy them unload all of their GPL into my inventory to compensate me for the lost latinum? Or you know the people who are so 'mature' and 'discplined' could get over the fact that my video game character is dropping pixel dance parties near their video game characters on pixel space stations. It's a game.

my solution only make only make the DB attackable not the one who used said DB only the DB is attackable would you like if i could make your toon go where i want them to do what i want them do because this how i see a DB
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    qjunior wrote: »
    These threads get annoying. Something as insignificant as a glowing party ball sounds like someone is launching nuclear misslies...... :P

says the guy who nearly breached Voyager's warp core with a dance party cause he was bored :P
    signature-omega.png
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited May 2014

It's partyampaphobia.
  • Options
    blahhdreyblahhdrey Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    my solution only make only make the DB attackable not the one who used said DB only the DB is attackable

Right, which is what I responded to. You'd be destroying my latinum item for your own sick amusement, so I should probably be compensated for the loss of the item if it was unable to time out naturally. As the party amps stand, they allow people to have fun without destroying anything - a rarity in this game. In typical STO fashion you now want a way to pew-pew moar in order to destroy that which offends you so. It's a terrible idea, and people with so much maturity and discipline as the anti-disco crowd attribute themselves with should be more than capable of ignoring some pixel dancing on a fictional space station.
    dEpN3nB.png?1
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    when it comes to DB i see the one using said DB like Psycho Mantis only he is saying dance dance!!!!! dance till i say stop but in sto terms till i run out
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    These disco ball threads are causing me discomfort, you are breaking the TOS :(

Naw but seriously they just need to add the toggle to prevent your toon from dancing, simple as that. Ballers can ball and sticks in the mud can stay sticky.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    Naw but seriously they just need to add the toggle to prevent your toon from dancing, simple as that.

may i use this as my sig?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    A very serious condition epidemic to STO players with control issues.

No means no
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    onyxheart1 wrote: »
    after all...you behave that way in real life, the cops come to take you away.

Utter rubbish.

I've walked into public dining areas before, and refusing to leave because some blowhard thinks his self-prepared self-policed "event" means he gets to decide who uses that public space has never led to the police leading me away. In fact, the one time such a thing led to any police involvement at all the police gave the aforementioned blowhard a 2-minute explanation of "public place" and warned him that if they had to come back he would be the one taken away.

Until the "event" is official, by game-official standards (and endorsement, and support, and so on) your analogy has more holes than 6 tons of Swiss cheese. By your logic, me and a half-dozen friends should be able to take over any food court in any mall at any time, because "we were there first and decided to hold an event there." :rolleyes:

Nice try though.

You obviously don't get it. These poor trolled victims are being violated, I tell you! Their nonexistent little pixel avatars are being abused, humiliated, and tortured for the amusement of other nonexistent little pixel avatars!

In the name of God, think of the innocent little nonexistent pixel avatars!
    abaddon653 wrote: »
    These disco ball threads are causing me discomfort, you are breaking the TOS :(

Yup, they're harassing me with them as well. -highfive-

;)
  • Options
    zara121zara121 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    A option should be made to ignore disco balls from non friends.
  • Options
    startrek1warsstartrek1wars Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm kinda confused. Are people annoyed at their characters being possessed and forced to dance because of these disco balls, or because the screen clutter is unpleasant to look at?
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm kinda confused. Are people annoyed at their characters being possessed and forced to dance because of these disco balls, or because the screen clutter is unpleasant to look at?

There are multiple complaints. It's not a singular complaint. Some complaints aren't shared. Some folks have more than one complaint.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

for me its the possession as to why i said its like Psycho Mantis taking over my character
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Yes. All of the above. The reason tends to be a like tree- it sort of flexes to match the direction of the prevailing winds at the moment.

(Understand that "to match the direction of the prevailing winds at the moment" means "whatever annoyance seems to gain their anti-disco-ball agenda the greatest chance of success will be the reason of the moment.")
  • Options
    annubis114annubis114 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    they should just make a opt out button or disable certain graphics button. DB's don't really bother me, unless they do them 20 times in a row. That said, if nothing else put a 10 minute CD on them that way everyone has their fun.
This discussion has been closed.