test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

KDF faction needs more players

Comments

• miirikmiirik Member Posts: 483 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    it's never going to happen, i'll tell you why

i forget where but basically cryptic said that they put out more fed stuff cause obviously far more fed players

since players see fed has wayyyy more stuff than kdf, they go fed

im too tired to get into detail but it basically loops over and over
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I picked up a KDF Sci Gorn just before the Season 9 drop. At first, I had done it because I was bored of my Fed Tac and, honestly, I didn't like my Rom Eng - I don't "get" the Romulan faction. It was after Season 9 dropped that I started to see how fun a KDF character is. I mean:

* Marauding is amazing - gathering up Contraband up to my ears, gathering prisoners and giving them away from Latinum and Dil.

* As a Fed player, I never felt right wanting to fly around in a Lobi-obtained ship because the Federation are the heroes - what kind of hero flies around in the Tal Shiar Adapted Battlecruiser? As a Klingon? I wish there was a Lobi sale so I can get one - I can just say that my guy went in, beat the snot out of the Tal Shiar and claimed it as his own.

* There's just something fundamentally different about playing as part of the KDF over the Federation or the Romulan Republic. I don't have the feeling that I need to raise my DPS is skyrocketing levels. I don't have the feeling that there's too many ships and not enough time. It feels... RIGHT.

I dunno, maybe it's me, but the KDF? It feels like HOME.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Sadly as mentioned above ... It's along the lines of a "self fulfilling prophecy" by Cryptic ...

They won't add more KDF content because there isn't enough KDF players ... There isn't enough KDF players because Cryptic won't add any more KDF content ...

Seriously though (and this goes for the Romulan "fraction' as well) I am truly and stunningly surprised, that the "supposed" intelligent Devs at Cryptic can't see, that just a few virtually costless, quick and simple bug fixes, and the addition of a few assets THAT ARE ALREADY IN GAME! to the KDF player base, would make a massive, downright enormous, boost to the KDF player base ...

I juss doan unner stan!!! :confused:
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Quite the nice little circle, eh? Nobody plays KDF because KDF don't get anything, KDF don't get anything because nobody plays em.

But even so, people call Cryptic/PWE/whatever 'Ferengi' which doesn't jive with me honestly. I mean, there was that long time excuse so many people LOVED using on the forums for a long time of 'KDF only make up 18% of the playerbase' nonsense...

That begs the question of: Why ignore that 18%, that is nearly a fifth of your playerbase. Are they seriously so well-off because of the Federation (and some degree Romulan) cash cow that they actually can AFFORD to ignore the Klingon side so thoroughly?

It boggles the damn mind sometimes. No attention at all pretty much. Two years between the release of the Bortasqu and Mogh, hardly any fleet ships added (doubly so for fleet ships that get the discount), no new costumes at all really. Sure we have 1-50 content, but even that was overshadowed by the main event of Romulans being added.

It is really and truly astounding. I would just love to know the honest truth, no deceit, no 'oh we will do something for the KDF, promise', none of that. Just tell us why, nothing more, nothing less.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • tigerblade99tigerblade99 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Holy TRIBBLE, you mean to tell me there's a Klingon Faction in this game as well? Maybe I'll check it out in a few years...
  • ddemlongddemlong Member Posts: 294
    edited May 2014
    That's the thing. Until very recently with LOR onwards, the KDF faction has received scant attention in bringing new things. The two most obvious things to look at?

The disproportionate number of playable ships.

The laughably disproportionate number of uniforms.

There's more. But again, with LOR they did bring in more missions, but some of the older stuff needs tweaking. I will say that our missions are more believable in that you could see the Klingons doing what they do and fits right in with what you saw from the TV shows & movies. A sharp contrast to the Federation missions which make you wonder if you are serving the Terran Empire or a Travelling Circus.

When STO released, there were alot more KDF players. Still less than the Feds to be sure, but there used to be far more. When it became apparent that Cryptic wasn't going to finish the faction at the time, then alot of people left.

It was only with LOR that you finally could roll a KDF toon from Lv1. Until LOR from 1 year ago, you had at first level a Fed toon to Lv 5. Then later on, Cryptic pushed it even further back... you had to have a Lv 20 Fed before the option of rolling a KDF toon was available.

With little attention and Cryptic development gating back faction access, you get what you saw of the KDF for years. Scant attention, little development.

It has gotten better... You can start from Lv 1 KDF and there's missions that can take you from 1 to cap, unlike before where we had serious gaps. But the ship & uniform options are still lopsidedly bad.

I agree, there have been marginal improvements over the years that even I have played; and that the episodes suite the faction better than the Feds. However, the small number of improvements they have made do nothing for the majority of the players on STO who are endgame players. There needs to be a reasons to persuade the endgame players of switching or just playing KDF more often. Those essentially are the points I made, ships, uniforms, bug fixes, uniqueness. They have stripped the KDF of any uniqueness and made STO Vanilla.

If I didnt have as much time and money into my KDF, I would start over again from scratch and do Fed or Rom/Fed just simply because the devs address their issues.

Devs: Oh the window graphics on your ship are messed up? Let me make that the #1 priority and fix that before the next patch. Yet KDF can't get a stinking helmet fix for years.
    I use to do 100K DPS, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

Your Ramming Speed III deals 242658 (243540) Kinetic Damage (Critical) to you.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    They won't add more KDF content because there isn't enough KDF players ... There isn't enough KDF players because Cryptic won't add any more KDF content ...
    That argument is kind of firmly debunked, anyway. They can't justify not adding KDF content because there aren't enough KDF players, because they added a bunch of Romulan content, yet there wasn't even a single Romulan player at the time to even USE any of that content. If creating an entire series of ships for a "faction" that contains zero players is justifiable, then clearly that argument simply doesn't hold water.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2014
    the klingons need a modern D-7............. 2410

Bigger........ Bortasq size more firepower...................nothing says klingon louder that the D-7 ship class
    and without a cloak
    build it bigger bader and modern looking without losing the classic look

epoh tagging
    defera
    fleet alert
    colony invasion

These should all be open teaming

Klingon style music...............TMP for a example
    klingon weapon sounds....disruptors and torpedos are both wrong

The reason the romulans get so many players is because there ships and Boffs are so over powered compared to klingons and Feds

Feds are the main draw to the Game period

Klingons have DO mission/Marauder perks but that is not appealing to a lot of players

To entice players to play Klingons from scratch and or switch from the Fed side will require out in the open perks.............something like the romulan players get

If the Romulans didnt get all the DPS perks that they get...There would be fewer romulans than klingons

The klingon faction will never get larger unless there is a reason to be a klingon
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • dova25dova25 Member Posts: 475
    edited May 2014
    I switched my kdf char to ground PVP lately and don't do more space PVP with it.

I have no kdf ship PVP comparable to what my kdf reman char's have acces or any federation players can buy so that is the reason why I chose to make only kdf reman's and not kdf.
    I play space PVP with my kdf reman chars mostly after season 9 reputation nerf.

I won't buy anything fed side because I have a bitter taste in my mouth for writing so much in forums about the kdf lack of ships.
    Even if I would like to try the kumari i won't buy it until I get first my kdf 5 tac bop.

Sometimes i think that the lack of kdf ships it is actually the way in which kdf players are silently pushed to buy lockbox ships.
    "There already is a Borg faction, its called the Federation. They assimilate everyone else's technology and remove any biological or technical distinctiveness and add it to their own."
    I refuse to be content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    i agree with most of the stuff written. I have 6 characters (3 feds, 2 roms, 1klingon). even if i like very much my klingon character, the lacks of "modernized" ships is obvious. i have for my roms, the fleet dhelan, and the klingon doesn't have a comparable ship; i can use aux2bat, and grav well on this ship + it has 5 tactical consoles, it's just amazing.

now the feds have the tempest which has a lot of possibilities, and the klingons don't have nothing like that.

i'm in a little kdf fleet, not even tier1, so i can't have access to the fleet ships, and the c-store ships are not interesting (except the mogh), so i use mirror ships. the mirror somraw raptor could be awesome with more engineering seats (so less science seats- a ltcom science is just perfect) and 5 tactical consoles.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    chalpen wrote: »
    Seriously, I was in an infected:Magnus elite queue for like an hour. Come on kdf!

That's not a shortage of KDF players, but a shortage of anyone playing that STF.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    questerius wrote: »
    That's not a shortage of KDF players, but a shortage of anyone playing that STF.

yeah, infected: manus is the least fun elite ground STF(especially the platform jumping part at the boss).

plus getting the optional at elite difficulty can be quite annoying.

kinda the reason why cure space used to be mostly ignored until rep buffs/better gear made it much easier.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    That argument is kind of firmly debunked, anyway. They can't justify not adding KDF content because there aren't enough KDF players, because they added a bunch of Romulan content, yet there wasn't even a single Romulan player at the time to even USE any of that content. If creating an entire series of ships for a "faction" that contains zero players is justifiable, then clearly that argument simply doesn't hold water.

There was a very skewed poll before the LoR release that showed that Romulans would be profitable, plus the Romulans where already on the drawing board to be added to STO as they play a big part in the overall story.
    They knew well in advance from all the clammering that the Rommies would make money.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I dunno, maybe it's me, but the KDF? It feels like HOME.

I understand what you're saying. Same thing happened to me back in the day - I made my first KDF char and it just felt right, like home as you say. Sticked around and never left, the only thing that changed is the number of my KDF chars. :D

What I don't understand is the shortsigthedness of it all.
    I used to make a probably hyperbollic comparison a while ago which basically boiled down to me openning a butchery and selling only strange salami, and then telling the people of the neighbourhood that if they want me to sell prime ribs they all need to keep buying the salami.
    I don't know in what univesre a business can function like this, I think having the exclusivity on this IP has hit them in the head a bit.

They're the developer, it's their job to brake the looping cycle. But that's F2P for you - we can discuss the pros and cons of F2P all day long, but the fact is that this is one of the consequences of F2P. They can't afford general development of STO and have to jump where the cash is for the moment like kids on candy. That's why we don't have engaging exploration as well.

Anyway, I'm over hoping that there will ever be at least some resemblance of equality between the factions.
    What I'd be very happy now is continuous development of the KDF even at a lower rate than the Fed. You know, a ship here - a costume there without waiting for 2+ years in between. Maybe a few KDF unique missions yearly, something like that. So we could at least say it's slowly progressing.

And I agree with the people that mentioned the music. There are a lot of very epic Klingon background tunes that could be used for Klingon space in STO, or when you play a Klingon character. Even small stuff like that makes difference, I for one was estatic when they brought back the original Klingon tricoder - yes it's small, but can mean a lot.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have actually started to play KDF more and more.. but its not because of the glorious home world or the tons of uniforms options (which there is none . there is a lack of female uniforms for none-orions).

I love my KDF ship and I love the toon I made (alien - so of course I don't have so much options in terms of clothing - as RL female I like to have some options, the current KDF is how do I say this.. ugly?.. LOL) Also contrbands basically fall into your lap as KDF which is great,.. as FED its more difficult to get hold of.

I just made a Ferasan in KDF... quite like it.. and I might do a female version as well. I am temped to make a gorn,.. but gorn is only males. I refuse to make a klingon female (not doing male) unless they add some of the awesomeness uniforms that was shown in the series as female klingon.

Oh and I do have a KDF ROM.. that is actually nice.. at least as ROM you have options in terms of nice outfits.
  • xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    ahem, there's a shortage of KDF content, to drive people to play it. Not to mention the overwhelming condition the faction is in. But hey lets just forget about it and make a new one :rolleyes:
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    questerius wrote: »

I agree with this, this is not only KDF problem. Yes there is a "struggle" sometimes to get only KDF teams on places like Defera,.. but there is also a problem in ques in general. There are many STFs I would love to do... old ones that no one is doing these days. I hate that I can't play those maps...
    edited May 2014
    This is the one thing I have heard from Devs, EPs, and even those whom know the the Devs over and over again; We KDF fans must never stop pushing, prodding, and asking for more for our faction.

Believe it or not many Devs are fans of the KDF but business restraints keep them from giving to the KDF much attention as they must give the majority to the feds. It really is that simple.

It is up to us to make sure those that tell the Devs when, where and what to put time into are aware we are a part of the game that deserves attention and are willing to spend our resources if such attention is given.

R.I.P
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Sadly as mentioned above ... It's along the lines of a "self fulfilling prophecy" by Cryptic ...

Seriously though (and this goes for the Romulan "fraction' as well) I am truly and stunningly surprised, that the "supposed" intelligent Devs at Cryptic can't see, that just a few virtually costless, quick and simple bug fixes, and the addition of a few assets THAT ARE ALREADY IN GAME! to the KDF player base, would make a massive, downright enormous, boost to the KDF player base ...

I juss doan unner stan!!! :confused:
    Except that they have added new KDF stuff(in LoR), and apparently it didn't change much. so no, it's NOT a self fulfilling prophecy anymore. People wanted to be able to start a KDF char at L1, some posters went so far as to claim it'd drastically increase the number of KDF players. Well, the devs gave it to us. Not much changed.

As for "perks" to being KDF.... KDF stuff is generally better than Fed stuff. Not a LOT better, just a little bit, but still.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • gulremalgulremal Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I was actually thinking about how the two oldest races in the area are the Vulcans/Romulans and Orions.

Why the Orions don't run the galaxy I'll never understand. :P

Because running public services isn't both personally profitable and sustainable in the long run. They'd just milk the system until it completely crashes. Probably why any empire they tried to form never really survived for long. :D
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    phoenicius wrote: »

also spare me of the "klingons aren't villains" , KDF is the faction where you routinely sell people as slaves, bomb/attack civilian installations/ships, bomb planets to force them into submission, and have a LITERAL criminal organization as part of it(orion syndicate), come on now, only people who are arguably not villains in the entire klingon faction, would be worf and the kahless clone.

"Villains" are basically a perception based on your own values. If people / society does something which you find moral offensive, then you would label them as "villains". However, it may simply be the "way of life" for that society.

Yes, Klingons engages in slavery, but so did ancient Greece. Would that make ancient Greece a villainous society? I think many scholars would consider ancient Greece one of the more enlightened nations of it's times. Slavery just happens to be part of their culture.

Yes, Klingons engage in barbarism, but if I remember correctly, the Klingon space is considered to resource poor (can't recall the specific source of that info) so barbarism for them is a way of life to gather more resources for the empire. In a way, there are like ancient Rome I suppose. Continual expansion is necessary to keep the empire running because the Roman society consumed more resources that it's own nation can provide. However, the Romans were also overly reliant on the military as Rome continually expands, they needed to plunder in order to pay their legions. So overly reliant were they that a very large percentage of their "civilian population" were slaves. The KDF is not quiet as bad as the Romans I think, but then again, I do not know the extent of the use of slavery is in Klingon society.

The Klingons are a warrior race so I guess forcing other races into submission is a way of life. It's conquer or be conquered. Diplomacy for them is typically the tip of a bat'leth or the barrel end of a disruptor. This probably ties in with the lack of resources in their empire. It's easier to seize resources than it is to develop other means of acquiring them. That could lead to their eventual downfall.

I have not paid much attention to the Orion Syndicate, but I believe the KDF conquered the Orion people, not the Syndicate itself which has managed to continue to operate.

In the end, villains are in the eye of the beholder. Just because the values of a society differs from your "ideal" sense of how a society should act does not automatically make them villains.
  • toznogtoznog Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    Klingons are known to shoot civilians and wounded (DS9, the "trap" Worf fall into and his judged, and the episode where Sisko's son is on the frontline and scared to death). It's not very honorable, but that's canon.
    Klingons are there to win the fight, and if they have to kill wounded, so be it. They sure won't brag about it, but the victory will be honorable for them.

As for the captain, he is armed, and able to fight, why should we let him go ? Klingons doesn't have the same conception of war as we do. They never surrender, and fight to the death, or retreat when they can't achieve victory or do enough harm to be useful. Surrendering is dishonorable, unless you have a plan.
    Plus there is the issue that Federation Captains run off to space while yelling "My main is Jameth T. Kyrk!!!" and come back with reinforcements so they can win by Federation zerg tactics using their propaganda enriched crews as fodder.

Ok, so I have only ever played KDF since I started a few months ago ... I assume I fit right in. I like it. :D
  • medtac124medtac124 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    KDF has always needed more players.
    [SIGPIC]Click here to visit our website[/SIGPIC]
    lunasto wrote: »
    Banned because I don't like your pictures eyebrows! They look like pinball flippers!
  • ayreon76#1360 ayreon76 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    its still funny that STO players go more for the good guys then the bad guys ( klingons )

but i have play a lot of mmorpg in my last 10 years

and what i see players love mostly to play the bad guy

but STO is a bit different dunno why

maybe a lot don't like the klingons ore gorn ore orion :confused:

but we can sure use more love :o
  • rdm1958rdm1958 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I started a Klingon alt to help my fleet on projects. I enjoyed the kdf alt, but as many mentioned, I got very tired of waiting in ques..

when romulans came I went kdf, again to help my fleet, but apparently few roms chose to go kdf so still waiting in ques.

I don't know what the answer is, but for me, I have quit playing on the kdf side altogether.
  • ayreon76#1360 ayreon76 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    only option what i can think of and yes it might be crazy

but now that the war is over between FED and KDF

why not go to ea other main city/space port

so we can do more thing together :)

will be crazy ESD full off Gorn and klingons :D
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    My fleet is roughly 3/4 Fed, though we have both factions up and running. Since there is such an imbalance, I have much more opportunity for Fleet advancement on the KDF side. My alt's are evenly split between Fed & KDF, but until I get through all the main story content, I'm not too interested in PvE, apart from my fleet mates. I agree, KDF has some great stuff, and in many cases, better...:cool:
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • eisenshorneisenshorn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    What endgame content could go co-op? Possibly a list is needed to show the Devs where co-op is needed?

Since we made peace with the Klingons in Season 9, there's no reason more co-op missions shouldn't be included in S10.

The borg and undine missions could at least be made co-op.
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    genlog76 wrote: »
    its still funny that STO players go more for the good guys then the bad guys ( klingons )

but i have play a lot of mmorpg in my last 10 years

and what i see players love mostly to play the bad guy

but STO is a bit different dunno why

maybe a lot don't like the klingons ore gorn ore orion :confused:

but we can sure use more love :o

It's because most people who play this game want to live out their fantasy of being a starship captain. A Starfleet captain Like Kirk, Picard, or Janeway.
    y1arXbh.png

edited May 2014
    eisenshorn wrote: »
    Since we made peace with the Klingons in Season 9, there's no reason more co-op missions shouldn't be included in S10.

The borg and undine missions could at least be made co-op.

Agreed, very much so.

R.I.P