Install Arc
Options

Literary Challenge #64 - The New Frontier - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    My personal canon involves four genders, because the thing about evolution is that it's not a sentient force; if something works, it works, and as long as nothing selects against it it'll keep working. If a four-gendered reproductive system enables the Andorians to remain at the top of the planetary food chain (which, by all accounts, is a pretty short one), then there would be no selection against it. (It can also be argued that once a species achieves tool use, evolution is greatly slowed, if not entirely stagnated, as it begins adapting the environment to suit itself, rather than the other way around.)

This. Remember, people, evolution selects for reproductive viability, not necessarily a logical design. Humans selected for bigger brains, and as a result a lot of us have teeth problems as a minor side effect.

Following from that, perhaps the complexity of the Andorian reproduction process fostered close-knit family groups, which are an asset to children here on Earth, never mind such a hostile environment as Andoria.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    masopwmasopw Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    @cmdrscarlet & worffan101: thanks! The Bonaventure is indeed an Odyssey-class as worffan101 said. She's a Sci-Oddy with the full console set, although the chevron gets separated a lot less than her Aquarius, the Rouge Valley. But she goes through an awful lot of workbees...something I might have to work into some LC some day...

@gulberat: I just speak enough Russian to know when I'm getting cursed at! I counter with a smile and, "Privet, ya ne slyshal chto." Invariably the other person then remembers that they speak English, but does so quietly and they tend not to return eye contact.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    A short story, as I found myself running low on inspiration about halfway through. Enjoy, insofar as is possible.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    A short story, as I found myself running low on inspiration about halfway through. Enjoy, insofar as is possible.

Grunt PWNs as usual.

And of COURSE his counterparts are experienced with interuniversal stuff! They behave in a logical and realistic fashion based on their experiences.

Not like the X-men, who for some strange reason seem to be SURPRISED when Wolverine wakes up with memories of an evil alternate timeline.

So yes. I enjoyed it. Not quite a Euclid-class sh*tstorm, but with the potential to get worse; at least it was resolved quickly and quietly.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I finally posted something else.

It is...a thing.

Go ahead and laugh at the blatant external references. I freely admit that I like Stargate as well as Star Trek.

And I'm definitely writing that conversation that Omek had with "Murray" sometime.
  • Options
    takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »

It is...a thing.

Go ahead and laugh at the blatant external references. I freely admit that I like Stargate as well as Star Trek.

And I'm definitely writing that conversation that Omek had with "Murray" sometime.

LOL!!! :D

/10char
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited June 2014

It is...a thing.

Love it! there are a few errors in typing, unnoticeable except for all the books I've read, but over all, love the Stargate/Star Trek crossover vibe. :cool:

Solar flare ftw!

Inter-dimensional time travel through an Orb I assume?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    aten66 wrote: »
    Love it! there are a few errors in typing, unnoticeable except for all the books I've read, but over all, love the Stargate/Star Trek crossover vibe. :cool:

Solar flare ftw!

Inter-dimensional time travel through an Orb I assume?

Via Negative Space Wedige, of course!

:D

I deliberately left it unexplained. Call it space magic and leave it at that.
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited June 2014

So a private enterprising Fem!Captain Grunt, interesting for sure.

*goes back to see mirror!borg*
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited June 2014

It is...a thing.

It's Jon's "Strange Planet Revisted Again" idea.

It's also a waste if that ends up being the next prompt.

That was really good. Now any story you submit for the actual challenge will be required to live up to that story and surpass it, and ultimately fail because you are aware that it must.

You essentially Crystal Skull'd yourself, Worf. :(
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    It's Jon's "Strange Planet Revisted Again" idea.

It's also a waste if that ends up being the next prompt.

That was really good. Now any story you submit for the actual challenge will be required to live up to that story and surpass it, and ultimately fail because you are aware that it must.

You essentially Crystal Skull'd yourself, Worf. :(

...Trust me, I have a number of other ideas.

Most of them involve either Three saying "I TOLD you so!" or Trenek trying to keep a handle on Ta'kat as she fairly explodes from the Joy of Science.
  • Options
    trojanborgtrojanborg Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Does this ever happen to anyone taking up the literary challenge? You get a good amount of story going, more than you anticipated because the story took on a life of its own. So you end up writing yourself into a corner or begin creating subplots and details not really meant for a short story? I've done just that again, which will either end up delaying it by the time this thread closes or you lose the will to finish.

Got some real life interference too. :/
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    @trojanborg - Yes. Realizing that, I recommend looking at the story you wanted to tell, find the part when things started heading into the corner, then trim the fat (so to speak).

This actually happened to me with this LC: I wanted to use a Sphere and I was not going to get away from that idea. BUT, if I put the crew in "unknown space" (knowing it would lead to them finding out they were in a Sphere), then that would mean there is a THIRD Sphere. So where is it? Why wouldn't Kathryn report it once she was out?

Since I was not going to put the Sphere and crew in another galaxy (besides that it was already done by another entry), I didn't want to explain how they got back.

Stewing over a few days, I came to the thought that the Sphere was in subspace. Memory Alpha suggests nothing can exist in subspace - so I conveniently ignored this idea to link the impossibility of the Sphere in subspace to the topic. BUT, to keep from researching that, I made the Chief Science officer *not* want to research it because of her desire not to be "trapped" in subspace.

How the crew got there, why the Sphere is there, and ultimately writing how they got out is (no pun intended) immaterial to me because I prefer the vignette style of writing for the LC. In other words, I am begging the reader to accept that 1) the crew is there, 2) they discovered where they are, and 3) they eventually got out, without me having to actually write it out.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    trojanborg wrote: »
    Does this ever happen to anyone taking up the literary challenge? You get a good amount of story going, more than you anticipated because the story took on a life of its own. So you end up writing yourself into a corner or begin creating subplots and details not really meant for a short story? I've done just that again, which will either end up delaying it by the time this thread closes or you lose the will to finish.

Got some real life interference too. :/

Yeah, I've got an entry for LC59 that turned out to be too long for the 2-week deadline coupled with my other writing for Faces in the Flames. I am hoping to get some time with it at some point because I will have a chance to show Captain Grady from Faces in the Flames as he was before the Undine ravaged his mind and killed him. He's definitely got a distinct way about him, for sure.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    None of the prompts this time were really speaking to me. I've only seen sporadic episodes of TNG and I'm not familiar with that one, and the "Rule 63 universe" one gave me some mental trouble since Eleya's half in love with her ops officer and Brokosh is married to his chief engineer.

Although maybe I could do something with the first prompt if fluidic space counts...

In any case, I decided instead to start a four-parter with my Fed Rom, Morgan, in the LC60 thread.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Memory Alpha suggests nothing can exist in subspace...
    ...but for the purposes of STO, is contradicted by one of the Romulan missions, which involves assaulting an Elachi station located in subspace (and, ideally, rescuing several victims, including your new BOff, D'Vex).

So you're actually on pretty solid ground here, if you'll pardon the expression.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    If that is for Romulan players then I missed it (I only have one toon). If not, then I clearly forgot about it :P

So, yay me :)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    If that is for Romulan players then I missed it (I only have one toon). If not, then I clearly forgot about it :P

So, yay me :)
    It's in the Romulan player arc; as I recall, it's the last Elachi mission before the Defense of New Romulus (which used to be incredibly difficult, but got nerfed to the ground about a month after it was introduced. Really, there should be some gradation between "good lord, this is impossible" and "lol faceroll").
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I agree. Having too easy of a mission is rather unsatisfying.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    It's in the Romulan player arc; as I recall, it's the last Elachi mission before the Defense of New Romulus (which used to be incredibly difficult, but got nerfed to the ground about a month after it was introduced. Really, there should be some gradation between "good lord, this is impossible" and "lol faceroll").

Yeah, I like a good challenge, like ISE with a middling team.

But the old Defense of New Romulus? Torture.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Reading Jonsills' right now and I've got just one question: When the heck did Sisko meet the Doctor?
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited June 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Reading Jonsills' right now and I've got just one question: When the heck did Sisko meet the Doctor?
    Actually, my intent there was as a reference to Dax - who might well have encountered the Doctor sometime over all its lifetimes, or might have just been referencing a centuries-old entertainment program from Earth... ;) Folks just jumped straight to "Sisko knows the Doctor!", and if that's your headcanon, run with it.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    @worffan101 - I really enjoyed this entry! As a casual watcher of Stargate I can appreciate the references. Humbly speaking, I believe this was more in-line with the prompt than you led on. Frankly, I thought D'trel was a bit douch-y here. Then again, maybe I would be if I were in his shoes.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    @worffan101 - I really enjoyed this entry! As a casual watcher of Stargate I can appreciate the references. Humbly speaking, I believe this was more in-line with the prompt than you led on. Frankly, I thought D'trel was a bit douch-y here. Then again, maybe I would be if I were in his shoes.

Her shoes.

She was a Unificationist underground member in the 2340s. Her girlfriend got killed pretty horribly, and she spent the next 60 or so years hating the guy who did it with every bit of emotion in her body.

It's left her deeply screwed up. She takes heavy antidepressants and has telepathic counseling every week.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Actually, my intent there was as a reference to Dax - who might well have encountered the Doctor sometime over all its lifetimes, or might have just been referencing a centuries-old entertainment program from Earth... ;) Folks just jumped straight to "Sisko knows the Doctor!", and if that's your headcanon, run with it.

I don't remember Dax ever referring to time thusly ;)

Amanda wrote her Academy Dissertation on the Doctor...
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Running with it with glee and scissors.
    Question I once saw in an online 'How Crazy Are You?' test...

Do your fingers tingle when you run with scissors? :D
  • Options
    edited June 2014
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    yes.

No!

Maaaaybe ...

I don't know!

Can you repeat the question? :P:D