Install Arc
Options

Literary Challenge #64 - The New Frontier - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Try it again, with a less - ah - sexually-obsessive character? Yes, Three's idea of "flirting" runs pretty well roughshod over what most of us consider "sexual harassment", but I'm sure that, for instance, D'trel could have an interesting story that doesn't involve anyone's plumbing...

Or work with prompt #1. That's going to cause some trouble for Capt. Iain Burwell (who you may remember as the time-displaced ensign from "It's Been a Long Road").

D'trel would kill herself in about a minute, and we both know why. She can only take so much, and such a massive shift would drive her over the edge. Look at the last LC; first person to loose it was D'trel. Her baggage practically runs her at this point; her sole purpose in life is to wipe any and all traces of Hakeev, the Tal Shiar, and any allies or supporters of Hakeev out of existence. This includes the Iconians, who D'trel has sworn to personally make extinct.

There's a reason Three gets sent into completely unfamiliar situations so often; she's used to it. She spent decades time-hopping and in random alternate universes before she got lost in Star Trek. She can handle a little gender-bending.

Yeah, prompt 1 is giving me no ideas whatsoever. I suppose I COULD read it really, really loosely and write a dumb story where D'trel gets caught in space-time stuff and blows up the Narada and prevents most of JJDrek from happening. Only problem with that is that she wouldn't have the motivation to do so, and it has very little, if anything, to do with the prompt.

And prompt 3 is just...no. Not interested at all. Two things I won't write: explicit TRIBBLE and rewrites of other people's work.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited May 2014
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm likely going to sit this one out... :( I really like the shift in style to allow multiple entries tackling multiple projects, but in these particular instances, I'm stuck for the following reasons:

3) The last LC involved crew nightmares. As easy as it would be to re-write Night Terrors, I'd just be doing someone else's story, and changing the names of the characters. That doesn't appeal for those two reasons...

2) The idea of a gender-flipped Verse is actually pretty funny, but as worffan mentioned, gender has always been portrayed as largely irrelevant in Trek. The only instances, are normally when aliens challenge 24th century Human notions, such as Riker's attraction to the androgynous pilot (was hir name Soren?) and Beverly's relationship to Odan. Other than those kind of exceptions, for the most part, none of the characters are really defined by their gender. Riker and Kira could pretty much be used interchangeably in any story, the only real difference in characterisation, was that Kira was a religious woman (although that was not used as much as it could have been) and Riker was a musician... Other than that, same basic character: Knows their stuff, gets shouty when they don't get their own way... Likewise, I believe my characters would be the same regardless of a gender flip, so I'm not (at the moment, a month is a long-time, my mind may change) feeling inspired to explore that aspect of the challenge. Another idea I had, deals with the impact of gender reassignment, but links to an incident happening before the character joined Starfleet, so would be only loosely tied to the brief in title only, so just a flimsy excuse to write what would likely be an unsatisfactory story, so that's not getting written...

1) I'm not imaginative enough to come up with a new realm (actually, an idea is loosely forming as I write) so not able to attempt this topic either...

I'll see what comes to me in the next few days, but if I don't do anything, don't think it's because I don't appreciate the new format, it's just that these options aren't immediately giving me ideas (but that could change) and I'd rather sit one out, than write something I didn't have a definite concept for...

\\//_
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    hawku001x wrote: »
    @worffan101 dont quit this months LC; get back in there :)

The only vaguely related ideas I have are:

1. A character gets swapped, and then commits suicide due to the situation inflaming deeply-rooted psychological issues. Not fun, because I like this character and want to help her with her issues.

2. The same character gets tossed into the JJverse with her crew and stops most of the JJverse stuff from happening. Fun enough, but really, really stupid (because it's set in the JJverse and the JJverse is so poorly-built that you can't escape the stupid). And I don't like to write dumb stuff, especially if it pretends to be serious.

So yeah, I think I'll sit it out and write humorous holodeck adventures and other random chaos on another thread.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The point of a Literary Challenge is that it's a challenge. Not having the time to write is one thing, anything else is another.

Now that we've been shown "the line", then one challenge is to not get close to it while crafting an interesting tale. Heck, make new characters if it will help to achieve the goal.

Part of that goal is to keep the LCs going simply by participating, time permitting.

:)
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    In lieu of an LC this month I'm returning to my (ironically named, as it turns out) derelict story "Slow Burn"

Just posted Fragment 4, with more to follow.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I introduce to you: Part 1: Next Stop Andromeda!

Part one of a 'hopefully' three part story.

Hope to get some reviews.
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    aten66 wrote: »
    I introduce to you: Part 1: Next Stop Andromeda!

Part one of a 'hopefully' three part story.

Hope to get some reviews.

Very, very cool.

I loved the twist (bend?) at the end - can't wait for part II!

(BTW, obvious foreshadowing was obvious, but I got a laugh out of it. :D )
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    --Smirk, when you say "This is not a slash forum", that raises the unfortunate implication to the unwary reader that all homosexual relationships or discussions of such are banned from LCs. Perhaps clarifying that point to note that explicit descriptions of sexual activity are banned and that no one type of relationship is permissible or not?

Slash is not homosexual. Slash is writing characters that are freinds as lovers. In a somewhat hardcore and graphic way. Writing homosexual characters should be fine, as long as it's done tastefully. Read my 'Emony's Choice' for an example. A story about a young woman trying to come to terms with coming out. Yes, there is a part in it where she gets 'busy with another woman' as part of her awakening, but the camera pans away as they are kissing and picks up again the next morning. It deals more with the character than anything else. That's what prompt 2 is trying to do. It's more about the character than the nitty gritty biological stuff.

For example, there was a Red Dwarf episode early on where this thing happened. It basically flipped around everything, so the men were the ones fighting for their rights with the suffrajets, the men were the ones being leeched after by the women it was the men on all the pin up posters etc. The episode was showing what women go through in such situations, but forcing it on the male characters. It was one of the most hilarious episodes there was.

As for me, I intend to write something for prompt 1 and 2. Eventuyally.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I'm stewing on prompt 1. Its so open, anything can happen ;) Although, my first though was a universe in negative but I think that was covered in TAS, sooooo...
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    sander233 wrote: »
    In lieu of an LC this month I'm returning to my (ironically named, as it turns out) derelict story "Slow Burn"

Just posted Fragment 4, with more to follow.

Interesting piece. Not my usual cup of tea, but I enjoyed it.

I am soooooo bored...lucky I'm out most of the day, seeing a Mahler symphony and watching my little brother audition for a precollege program at Julliard. (He plays the viola. I am very proud)
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm sitting out this challenge. I don't feel very inspired and frankly, the prospect of the LC's being cut back has me sad.

If the LC's are going to be monthly, can we at least up the ability to post two entries per challenge? It'd kinda suck to post during the first week of the month and then sit around until the next month to write again. With two posts, we can do two out of three of the challenges or create sequels to our first entry or explore new characters for the same challenge.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I'm sitting out this challenge. I don't feel very inspired and frankly, the prospect of the LC's being cut back has me sad.

If the LC's are going to be monthly, can we at least up the ability to post two entries per challenge? It'd kinda suck to post during the first week of the month and then sit around until the next month to write again. With two posts, we can do two out of three of the challenges or create sequels to our first entry or explore new characters for the same challenge.

I believe with the new format, a writer can submit one entry for each of the briefs, so essentially one entry per week, if someone wanted to tackle all three :cool: I have to admit, I rather like the idea :cool:
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I believe with the new format, a writer can submit one entry for each of the briefs, so essentially one entry per week, if someone wanted to tackle all three :cool: I have to admit, I rather like the idea :cool:

The idea's great. The prompts for this one just leave a lot to be desired. Not the fault of the new format, though.

Back from Mahler 3. God, that was good music...
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Got mine up. I may have gone off topic a bit in the middle, and I didn't really address the prompt fully, but it just sorta edges itself into it. And it does let me do something with my crew I've been wanting to do for a while.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    allen1973allen1973 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    New Romulan separatist Captain T'Dar Zentron is the younger cousin of the Admiral Da'aral Zentron. T'Dar is affiliated with Starfleet, while Da'aral is with the Klingons. The politics of command is quite a new phenomena for T'Dar, in the sense that it should effect his outcome and command structure. T'Dar would have worked with Admiral Allen before settling on his own command. There are many personal stakes in this for him, yet this is an unexpected bounty that will likely take up most of the rest of his career, if Admiral Janeway is any kind of indication of what uncharted territories does for ones career. Yet this mission is co-commanded by Captain Horg of Mongdech, like Kurn, here is a Klingon that shares the distinction of being a younger brother of an influential Empirical General. Unlike Kurn, Horg is not yet a General himself, perhaps he soon will be, and well to T'Dar similarly. Our planet grew smaller very quickly here on earth in the last twenty to fifty years, depending on how you look at it. I think in the later part of the 23rd, 24th century and in the 25th century we are looking at something similar on a galactic level. Voyager attempted this kind of explanation of circumstances, while, Enterprise held an implementation of such a virtue as well as did TOS. TNG and DS9 had to do both, as did Voyager in various ways that we are still quantifying. Perhaps the entirely of the genre is a similar prospect here, and I am being too confined to my own speculative nature. Whatever the case it is important to think of new avenues of exploration and possibility, keep the idea or virtue of an infinite universe at least somewhat possible, even if eventually, it is well known that that simply cannot be the case. I really like how STO has incorporated the Romulans, and despite my difficulty with creative manifestations including the Federation, at least in my own way these last two entries were at least oriented in such a functionality.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Made some good progress on my LC Prompt #2 entry tonight...with luck it may come up in the next few days. :)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Introducing (the newly named) Part Two: X=Y?

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

Previously on Star Trek Online...

After Escaping the Andromeda Galaxy via an Andromeda Based Iconian Space Gateway, Gregs finds himself on the fabled Star Subjugator, the Experimental Sol-Class Dyson Hybrid ship, after being summoned to patrol the Solanae Sphere for the Borg Kings forces, as the Voth~Alpha Quadrant Alliance hinges on its expedient delivery of Ambassador/Captain Grey Son'aire!
  • Options
    masopwmasopw Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hmmm....dare I chime in with 2 cents?

Sure. Why not. I hope it's taken as constructive comments, as that's how I'm intending them.

I dig the new format. Time frame fits better...I can mull over ideas for a while, trying to figure out what may make for an interesting read. Three topics also means I can cherry pick the ones I like and ignore the ones I don't.

However, while these are Literary Challenges, I write them for entertainment...mine, and hopefully that of the people who take their time to read them. (Thanks!). If I have to worry about potentially offending somebody...then it's no longer fun. Not fun? You better pay me to do it...and since that's not happening, neither is a tale that *might* offend.

Anything with a gender swap, IMHO, has too many chances to offend. Even if written in a lighthearted manner that "regular" readers will enjoy, a first time reader might not catch a nuance or inside joke...and they complain. Or you put a thoughtful question forward...can true love survive a total change? Somebody reads it the wrong way, and they complain. Bring today's viewpoints into it? Then it becomes a hot button topic on par with...well...other topics that can polarize, offend, and are too easy to be taken in the wrong way. Me...I'd not like to see the discussion thread devolve into where a writer has to explain and/or defend their work...explanations that might lead to yet more complaints!

Now, for episode rewrites...it isn't easy to "channel" established characters. Sometimes you read a tale with a cameo from one of these characters, and it doesn't ring true to how we've come to accept them. Kirk, Riker, Sisko...they need to *sound* like the characters, or the story will suffer. So I'd much rather read the story with the LC writer's crew in the same situation. In no particular order, I'd be interested in reading Three in The Inner Light, Grunt in Best of Both Worlds, Gregs in Scorpion, Kathryn in Timeless, Ael in It's Only A Paper Moon, Jesu in In The Pale Moonlight, Rycho in Tapestry, Talaina in Year of Hell, R-66Y in Spock's Brain, Ryan in Prey...and I've got an idea on how Sotek would handle Threshold. {Hint...it would include him explaining the definition of infinite...and when it doesn't sink in, an NCIS Gibbs-esque head slap or five...} (If I forgot your character, D'oh and sorry... send the angry PM forthwith...)

Again...just my 2 cents.

For this challenge...hmmm...I think maybe that the Bonaventure's gonna get pulled back to that anomaly they found in the last LC. When you tell a race of beings that can make your life hell that you will leave them alone...then you reappear...they may not be as nice the second time around...
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    masopw wrote: »
    Anything with a gender swap, IMHO, has too many chances to offend. Even if written in a lighthearted manner that "regular" readers will enjoy, a first time reader might not catch a nuance or inside joke...and they complain. Or you put a thoughtful question forward...can true love survive a total change? Somebody reads it the wrong way, and they complain. Bring today's viewpoints into it? Then it becomes a hot button topic on par with...well...other topics that can polarize, offend, and are too easy to be taken in the wrong way. Me...I'd not like to see the discussion thread devolve into where a writer has to explain and/or defend their work...explanations that might lead to yet more complaints!
    Have to agree here. Heck, take a look sometime at the discussions on David Willis' webcomics "Shortpacked!" and "Dumbing of Age", especially the recent SP! storyline with Ultracar (an asexual AI in a female humanoid robot body, formerly an AI in a car that was treated as male) and Malaya (a "normal" human woman with an... interesting psychology). Some transgender folks praised it for the realistic depiction of an asexual (with at least one wanting an androgynous robot body xirself), others condemned it as "pandering". And in one of the DoA discussions, I was actually threatened with violence because I didn't (and still don't, really) see the point in creating a new, unpronounceable pronoun in place of the ones we have in English now.

I thought Worffan's story was pretty tame, although we may need to have a discussion sometime of what "flirting" means (hint: there's more than a fine line between that and "sexual assault"). If that stepped over someone's line, how am I to know when I've done that? Poor Grunt ain't never gettin' him no oomox, is that what we're saying?
    Now, for episode rewrites...it isn't easy to "channel" established characters. Sometimes you read a tale with a cameo from one of these characters, and it doesn't ring true to how we've come to accept them. Kirk, Riker, Sisko...they need to *sound* like the characters, or the story will suffer. So I'd much rather read the story with the LC writer's crew in the same situation.
    I've only ever done one script rewrite, and that was for something that desperately needed it - I wrote a death scene for Trip in "These Are the Voyages" that wasn't stupid (in my version, he forgot about a bypass for the phase cannon that his staff had rigged the previous week during a battle), and I gave him a funeral.

Rewriting an entire TNG script, and staying true to the characters, is a tad beyond my skill level - and, intending no offense, the skill level of many of our regular contributors. We know our characters inside and out, but not necessarily anyone else's. And if you thought someone was miffed by that Three story, imagine the fuss when we try to rewrite a classic episode and our headcanon conflicts with another person's!

I'm still working on prompt #2, though. Got it mostly worked out, and I hope to get it typed up today. Capt. Burwell and the William Clark are in for a bit of a surprise...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I thought Worffan's story was pretty tame, although we may need to have a discussion sometime of what "flirting" means (hint: there's more than a fine line between that and "sexual assault"). If that stepped over someone's line, how am I to know when I've done that? Poor Grunt ain't never gettin' him no oomox, is that what we're saying?
    I have repeatedly stated that Three is a complete psychopath. She's also the personal living weapon of a Starfleet Admiral, and canonically, Command has ignored freaking genocide if it makes them look good/gets things done.

"Scorpion", anyone?

But yeah. Three operates under different fundamental priorities from regular life-forms. She's not, strictly speaking, even a life-form under certain qualifications; she has no need or desire or even capacity to reproduce, and was designed for a specific purpose instead of evolving naturally.

In fact, the only really human thing about her is that she won't actually force herself on anyone. She'll flirt, make lewd remarks and comments, usually in a self-deprecating fashion, ask people for dates, try to seduce people--but she won't touch anyone in a sexual manner without their explicit consent. It's basically the last tattered shreds of her Original's basic humanity.

Other than that, she's a monster.
    I've only ever done one script rewrite, and that was for something that desperately needed it - I wrote a death scene for Trip in "These Are the Voyages" that wasn't stupid (in my version, he forgot about a bypass for the phase cannon that his staff had rigged the previous week during a battle), and I gave him a funeral.
    I tried once to rewrite "Scorpion". I even managed to get 7 of 9 on Voyager.

By the end of it, though, Kes was headed off to be an ambassador to the Undine (who had a sort of truce with the Federation because the Feds showed themselves to be stronger than they first appeared, forcing the Undine to reevaluate them), the Borg Collective had been destroyed and trillions of drones de-assimilated, and the Federation was using the transwarp network to explore the Delta Quadrant. Which kind of wrecked canon, but at least it didn't have an ostensibly heroic Starfleet captain allying with a power with which the Federation was at war to commit genocide.

Oh, and I had Neelix get spaced and assimilated and finally vaporized by a phaser, and gave Harry Kim an actual important role that did NOT involve getting kidnapped and/or beaten up by aliens. And I had Tuvok get very Vulcan Angry at Janeway when she had the "brilliant" idea of allying with the Borg. And Tuvok pretty much ended up saving everyone with the Doctor's help, because those two are my favorite characters from Voyager.
    Rewriting an entire TNG script, and staying true to the characters, is a tad beyond my skill level - and, intending no offense, the skill level of many of our regular contributors. We know our characters inside and out, but not necessarily anyone else's. And if you thought someone was miffed by that Three story, imagine the fuss when we try to rewrite a classic episode and our headcanon conflicts with another person's!
    That would be...

Oh, boy. Nobody's going to be able to do it without 15 people or more complaining to Smirk. The poor guy's going to get crushed by PMs.

Hey, I have an idea! Maybe the rewrites could be restructured to be about "fixing" blatantly terrible scripts?
    I'm still working on prompt #2, though. Got it mostly worked out, and I hope to get it typed up today. Capt. Burwell and the William Clark are in for a bit of a surprise...

Can't wait, although I prefer Grunt. His terrible luck with starships, his attitude, and his brilliant tactical sense...

Grunt pwns. :cool:
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Now, for episode rewrites...it isn't easy to "channel" established characters. Sometimes you read a tale with a cameo from one of these characters, and it doesn't ring true to how we've come to accept them. Kirk, Riker, Sisko...they need to *sound* like the characters, or the story will suffer.
    I find established characters quite easy to channel... As I write what I see in my mind's eye, I find it easy to visualise, how they behave, how they sound, how they act... I'm no fan of Janeway, but in my collab with worffan, I probably found her the easiest to write, although of course, I cannot speak for how accurately she read to others, but I tried to keep her as true to established as possible (ie the Admiral Janeway of Endgame) I try and avoid them for the most part, however, because I feel that I am merely 'putting words in their mouths', and it's not 'official'.

Ael in It's Only A Paper Moon
    That's an interesting suggestion... In a similar vein, I was considering writing a piece where S'rR's puts herself 'on the couch' following her recent experiences, and Ael's 40 something year exile in the 21st century, but they can wait for another day... One which Ael would thrive in, is Seige of AR-558, as that is precisely the kind of situation she was actually trained for, and that would show a somewhat different side to her personality... Excellent idea :cool:
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I'd rather the episode re-writes be us putting our crews into the same situation as the show crew, and write how they would act under the same situations.

• Options
    pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Sequential stories tied to one of the topics is fine. It can be begun at any time, and finished/added to later. The month long time frame allows for a long incubation period to get these ideas out.

~CaptainSmirk
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Sequential stories tied to one of the topics is fine. It can be begun at any time, and finished/added to later. The month long time frame allows for a long incubation period to get these ideas out.

~CaptainSmirk

Yay! :D

/10char
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Okay, I'm going to give the first prompt a go. What I want to know is; which of my characters would you like to see this focus on? Soval or Daya?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    @ aten66 - This was an excellent story! I'm glad I waited for part 2 and put the two together. That will be tough to follow for me.

@grylak - After reading the prompts I wondered if someone would go "way out there", and you did. So, I gotta scratch that idea off my list :P I liked this entry as well :)

@hawku001x - That was a fun read because there was a lot of comedy every other line :D The idea of a tribble being "menacingly" is just laughable by itself. Bad, Starfleet ... Bad! :P Well done.

@allen1973 - That was a challenging read, less for the content and more for the structure. Please break up the massive wall of text with paragraphs.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    thanks!

my other idea was the "white space" universe (the one where Q takes Picard and where the Prophets meet Sisko).... if anyone wants to use that, go ahead

@grylak very daring ending :D

ryan218 wrote: »
    Okay, I'm going to give the first prompt a go. What I want to know is; which of my characters would you like to see this focus on? Soval or Daya?

im unfamiliar w both, so either is good to me :cool:
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    At long last, "Signs and Portents", a tale of Iain Burwell and the William Clark, is up. Enjoy!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png