What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Literary Challenge #64 - The New Frontier - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    proteusrexproteusrex Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    @proteusrex: Is Merrik the "real" Merrik somehow suffused with silverblood "essence," or is he a clone and the original is dead? On how openly you write Merrik, I admit I have only read one of your stories thus far, so I can't really form an opinion on that subject.

The 'real' Merrik is a silverblood copy/clone, in the same way that Harry and Tom (and eventually the entire crew) were duplicated in Demons.

The fate of the original Dennis Merrik is still unknown, I suspect he's alive (to be used in a future story) but I don't know where or doing what. That said, by now he's a decade or so older than Silverblood Merrik, who no longer ages. Merrik will hopefully find him someday.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well that's a little embarrassing. I hate hearing/reading my real name get butchered by people.

LOL, I figured it was autocorrect. ;)
    proteusrex wrote: »
    The 'real' Merrik is a silverblood copy/clone, in the same way that Harry and Tom (and eventually the entire crew) were duplicated in Demons.

The fate of the original Dennis Merrik is still unknown, I suspect he's alive (to be used in a future story) but I don't know where or doing what. That said, by now he's a decade or so older than Silverblood Merrik, who no longer ages. Merrik will hopefully find him someday.

I bet that would be an awkward meeting, to say the least! I also couldn't imagine how Merrik copes with having memories of family who would never acknowledge him. At least Alyosha knows for certain who he was raised by and has a real relationship with them, not just memories of something that isn't his.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    @worffan: Sorry, but I don't buy the Federation's propaganda. What "should" be and what is are two different things. DS9 shattered a lot of TNG's myths, and that is the approach I take: some things are indeed better than now but other things are shoved under the carpet and people pretend they aren't there when in fact they are.
    I don't know. Canon shows pretty well that Starfleet is gender-egalitarian. The only sexism I see in TNG-era Trek is from non-Federation personnel.
    But that is my choice as a writer.
    Indeed, and you have every right to write exactly what you choose, how you choose to write it. As a reader, I have every right to say when I find something to be unrealistic.
    If you would rather have something that buys into the Fed propaganda, then my writing is not the place for you.
    Actually, I usually like your stuff, because canon shows pretty clearly that while Starfleet and the Federation's peace-and-prosperity ideals may hold just fine on Earth, on the frontiers they're just BS. In fact, I liked this story for the most part; I just felt that it dipped on one occasion a little too much into issues that affect 21st century Terrans more than 25th century members of hundreds of species with different biologies, physiologies, and cultures.

For example, there are real-life African tribes that would consider Female!Alyosha to be distressingly and unattractively thin, and one would think that certain alien cultures would also have this prejudice towards women with large body fat concentrations.
    Also, I would rather my work not be used as a platform for your beef with Smirk. Anyway, I do not plan to debate it.

I wouldn't call it beef; I'm not actually angry. More like...me shaking my head in confusion, saying "Smirk, you know that this is a game based on a franchise that is most popular with 18- to 65-year-olds. You know that the people on these forums are computer- and internet-savvy. So why break out the Modhammer when someone writes a story intended for consumption by 18- to 65-year-olds?"

I mean, I genuinely like Smirk; I think that he's funny and quite intelligent and a decent person, but on very rare occasions he does things that leave me confused like this. Maybe it's a new leadership style that I don't understand yet, maybe it's nerves about stepping into BranFlakes' shoes (a monolithic task if there ever was one), or maybe it's something else entirely, but I am on occasion left completely confused when Smirk does something that seems completely out of left field.

But it doesn't matter right now, as I've already said that I'm entirely uninterested in writing for all three prompts, I've explained my position in greater detail upthread, and because you are 100% right that getting into a debate here is a tremendously stupid idea.

So TEHO, I guess. :/

I love your writing and writing style, and Alyosha is a very interesting character. The alternate crew reacted in a very appropriate manner to an unidentified Devidian in human form just showing up on their ship, and I was pleased to see characters react logically and rationally to a sticky/crazy situation.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Actually, I don't really see Alesya's body choices as being driven by sexism, so much as by standards held up against both (all?) genders in Trek. When was the last time you saw a crew member more than even slightly out of shape in TNG? (Or DS9 or VOY, for that matter?) The only one I can think of is Argyle, the chubby guy with the beard who was briefly Ent-D's chief engineer, and the next season he was replaced by Geordi.

Males in Starfleet are strong, generally tall, and with low body fat. Females in Starfleet are generally strong, slim, and again with low body fat, except those individuals with large pads of redundant fat on their chests. Alesya has selected a body type that seems approachable to Humans and similar species, one that might remind them more of a parental or grandparental figure than some stern martinet. And she has consciously avoided being the "Starfleet ideal", with holostar good looks (an ideal that is available fairly trivially to just about anyone in the Fleet, given the levels of casual plastic surgery we saw as early as TOS). It tells us something pretty significant about the character - she wants to be liked, not gazed at from afar or worse, feared. She wants her crew to feel they can come to her with any issues. Psychologically, she's really not so very different from Alyosha.

I really think, though, that this prompt will work best with characters that are far outside the norm (like, for instance, silverbloods or Devidians :) ), precisely because Starfleet prides itself on its egalitarianism. Grunt, in a gender-swapped universe, would have pretty much the same relationships with the crew, because he/she isn't intimately involved with any of them, and because to the best of our knowledge Andorian, Klingon, and Pakled society is pretty much as gender-blind as Human. There's no hook there for me to hang a story from - and believe me, I've been trying!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    I really think, though, that this prompt will work best with characters that are far outside the norm (like, for instance, silverbloods or Devidians :) ), precisely because Starfleet prides itself on its egalitarianism. Grunt, in a gender-swapped universe, would have pretty much the same relationships with the crew, because he/she isn't intimately involved with any of them, and because to the best of our knowledge Andorian, Klingon, and Pakled society is pretty much as gender-blind as Human. There's no hook there for me to hang a story from - and believe me, I've been trying!

Now that's a good point.

And TBH, now that you've said that I might actually be able to write a story for this starring Captain Trenek and the Patagonia crew.

Trenek himself is a member of a typical Federation species, but his chief science officer is a member of a species with only one gender...

This could actually be interesting. I'll see if I can get something together.
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Almost done with my part 2 to to part two... but for now, I''ll p[ost some reviews:

Jonsillis: I like Iain, he's very cool and a nice relaxation to all your Grunt focused stories.

proteusrex: Liked your story a lot, I find the silverblood idea to be cool.\\

Masopw: Tell me, did the cardassian scientist get spaced on the way back, and if he did, with or without an EV suit? :D:D Ominous ending!

Gulberat: I liked the alternate universe! I so totally forgot Andorians and Aenar had four genders, I'll have to keep that in mind!
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Dagnabit, I forgot about the Andorian/Aenar having four genders. With two BOffs as Andorians I should really research their "thing" more.

Just wanted to add to my post count with the post.
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Nothing on screen says they have four genders. Just four in a marriage. Where do people keep getting this four gender thing from?

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I've been misinformed!

Therefore, I blame Obamacare :P
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    grylak wrote: »
    Nothing on screen says they have four genders. Just four in a marriage. Where do people keep getting this four gender thing from?

I consulted memory beta, and while it is partially considered AU/book canon, i like it in that it separates Andorians from the two gender norm seen on screen.
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited June 2014

It's from the licensed novels, which makes it official, with soft canon status.

Nothing on screen has confirmed Andorian genders, so the novels stand (at present) as providing an 'official answer'. If a film or episode was to say otherwise, then that would become the official answer... And given that is highly unlikely to happen, the four genders is a safe acceptance :cool:
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I've been re-informed! Time to actually read stuff before I post nonsense.

@hawku001x - That was a fun read :D "As offending as the Enterprise-C" ... yeah, that made me chuckle.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I see. Well, since it's only in books, I shall be ignoring it and have my andorian marriages like denobulan marriages. Assuming it will ever come up in my stories. Which I highly doubt. Despite having an andorian captain.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited June 2014
  • Options
    edited June 2014

When you have an Andorian or Aenar captain or BOFF, check their profiles. You will see the two Andorian genders closest to the human gender that character appears to have. You only see it if you open their detailed info, though. So it is actually in STO that way.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    When you have an Andorian or Aenar captain or BOFF, check their profiles. You will see the two Andorian genders closest to the human gender that character appears to have. You only see it if you open their detailed info, though. So it is actually in STO that way.

Huh. Never noticed that. I'll have to check it out tonight.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Aaaaand there's my entry for prompt 2. Follows on from prompt 1. Yes, I am essentially pulling a Voyager with my crew.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    @grylak - excellent story. And this...
    "Very well. Liase with her."
    "Him."
    Kazzur looked to Talaina. "Excuse me?"
    "T'Fon is a male."
    "But.... it's a woman's name."
    "I know. I didn't ask."
    ...is how you handle that issue. :)

I presume that a future prompt will show us the treknobabble negative space wedgie they use to get home? (Intergalactic travel, after all, is a bit much, even with transwarp and quantum slipstream.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I am actually forming a proper reason for my blunder with his name, which will be revealed when I've got it properly thought out and the story allows it, but I was determined to at least address the issue here.

One of the future prompts will get them home. I don't know how, I don't know when, but provided the ship isn't lost (no reset button here) they will hopefully get back someday.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    I am actually forming a proper reason for my blunder with his name, which will be revealed when I've got it properly thought out and the story allows it, but I was determined to at least address the issue here.
    No, I think this is perfect. Vulcans are notoriously private beings, after all - they were among the founders of the Federation in the 22nd century, but a hundred years later, Dr. McCoy knew nothing about pon farr or mind-melding. T'Fon probably has some reason that seems to him perfectly logical for carrying a female name, but equally probably he has no interest whatsoever in telling anyone what it is. :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Heck, are males named "Ashley" in America in the 21st century. It is what it is.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Grylak, to my mind it is not unreasonable for your "misnamed" character to be transgendered. Knowing how the Vulcans are, I have a distinct feeling they would refuse to discuss it.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    It is true, they would not discuss things. Nor will t'fon reveal it. I just like having my characters having their history, even if its just in my own head. Unless a story comes up which would naturally have him reveal why, this will be the only reference to it.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Finally! This is for prompt 1 and was *not* easy for me. I hope it is treknobabbly-correct. Memory Alpha was studied and it still doesn't make much sense to me ;)

Cast for crew:

Kathryn Beringer - Rachel Nichols
    Anthi Ythysi - Katheryn Winnick
    Karl Melango - Jeremy Renner
    Thel Ythysi - Kevin Sorbo
    Ian McKinnon - Ben Browder
    Omazei - Gemma Arterton
    Romas Verthir- Idris Elba
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Well.... I finished part two.

I was kinda puzzled how it ended up ending that way... but I might continue it this way, perhaps throw out a separate one-shot/sequel...probably not. I may retcon it even. Meh.
    :rolleyes::D:D:cool:
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    @cmdrscarlet great work! unrelated, now i have claustrophobia on a grand scale
  • Options
    edited June 2014
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It took a awhile to get the motivation to write this, but I got there in the end. Please enjoy :)

For ease of reference/visualization, here're the actors I would cast if I was filming this tomorrow...

Bellic Chanos - Vin Diesel
    Ael t'Kazanak - Cobie Smulders
    ch'Shaan - James Marsters
    Brandene Mayer - Rosamund Pike
    Bellica Chanos - Yaya DaCosta
    Cecelia Bernardez - Kate del Castillo
    Keilly Staros - Gemma Arterton
    Ely Fisher - James McAvoy
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Gemma Arterton is just ... perfect for Star Trek.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    It took a awhile to get the motivation to write this, but I got there in the end. Please enjoy :)

For ease of reference/visualization, here're the actors I would cast if I was filming this tomorrow...

Bellic Chanos - Vin Diesel
    Ael t'Kazanak - Cobie Smulders
    ch'Shaan - James Marsters
    Brandene Mayer - Rosamund Pike
    Bellica Chanos - Yaya DaCosta
    Cecelia Bernardez - Kate del Castillo
    Keilly Staros - Gemma Arterton
    Ely Fisher - James McAvoy

Stellar as usual, marcusdkane.

It felt a little rushed, but I definitely liked the Bernandez twist. TBH, I feel that this could be expanded really easily; as-is, everything seems to "fall into place" neatly.

Also, both Captains are going to need a couple of therapy sessions over this, or at least some liquid therapy, aren't they?