Options

Literary Challenge #64 - The New Frontier - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Stellar as usual, marcusdkane.

It felt a little rushed, but I definitely liked the Bernandez twist. TBH, I feel that this could be expanded really easily; as-is, everything seems to "fall into place" neatly.

Also, both Captains are going to need a couple of therapy sessions over this, or at least some liquid therapy, aren't they?

Thanks, it was rushed in so much as I wasn't particularly feeling the challenge, and didn't want to re-hash other's entries too much, but equally, didn't want to just post a swapped crew roster... Glad you enjoyed it though, the Bernardez twist was about all I could really think to do with it :o It could be expanded, but would only really consist of more 'swaps and chitchat' and Ael getting returned, so just thought I'd end it on her getting Fisher's number ;)
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I thought the Bernardez twist worked very well. In a lot of ways it is kind of similar to how one might feel in dealing with the family member of someone who has committed such a heinous crime...though at least in this case there cannot be the complication of suspecting that the "family member" was complicit or insufficiently accepting the guilt of their relative.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    I thought the Bernardez twist worked very well. In a lot of ways it is kind of similar to how one might feel in dealing with the family member of someone who has committed such a heinous crime...though at least in this case there cannot be the complication of suspecting that the "family member" was complicit or insufficiently accepting the guilt of their relative.
    Absolutely, and in this instance, both felt both the violation of what had been done to them, and the revulsion that another version of them could behave thus, but as mentioned, it was the only idea which the gender shift really presented to me... Sorry I had to use your Andorian Twist, it just seemed a suitable way of establishing a dimensional shift had occurred, before the specifics of the twist became more obvious (because it's not really a twist when it's the concept of the challenge :D )
  • Options
    trojanborgtrojanborg Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Since we are rewriting an episode with our own cast, when you say open ended, you wouldn't happen to mean I can't get rid of the betazed discovered on the ship. It was an ok episode but that part could use something different.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    ....wait I take that back. I watched the episode preview for it on Youtube. It was not a very good episode. Guess I forgot the details of it. All the more reason to use it as a literary challenge.

On a side note, I'm sure all of us RPers and creative writers imagine our crew in popular episodes and some of the movies. At least the same scenerios.
  • Options
    masopwmasopw Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    @gulberat: yep...the Glinn's name was a deliberate choice! I'm glad I was able to convey his sketchyness!

@proteusrex: the Bajoran did seem to fold too early...and that means I'll have to come up with an explanation at the next Redux, The Brig! Again, glad I conveyed the Glinn in the manner I intended. I know exactly what you mean about hating the character & actor...in the last season of Babylon 5, I despised Lyta!

@aten66: the fate of the obnoxious Glinn shall be revealed...eventually...and I've already got an idea where Nico has to be physically restrained from popping the outer airlock button! :D

So...reviews (as promised, in reciprocal review priority!:) )

@aten66: I liked the concept where the dish didn't have to actually do anything...the wormhole just reacted with it. Great tie in to the second prompt. Man...Gregs just can't catch a break. Stoogeium, Stoogeian, and Curly...loved it!

@proteusrex: Loved how the first thing that came to Dennis' mind was that it was a simulation, a test. I also liked the concept of 'silverbloods.'

@gulberat: Great job...I felt the near panic of, "Don't let me lose form." With the four gendered Andorians...so...say A and B are males, and C and D are female. (Time rushed...can't hit memory alpha for chan and thans and don't want to rely on memory!) Does A swap with C or D? That could be an interesting debate! Love the introspective, "Am I the only one?" bit!

Gotta run, but will post more reviews tomorrow...since I'm pretty sure you don't want post-dentist visit NOX powered reviews, as ludicrous as they'd be...
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    masopw wrote: »
    @aten66: the fate of the obnoxious Glinn shall be revealed...eventually...and I've already got an idea where Nico has to be physically restrained from popping the outer airlock button! :D

[/...]
    @aten66: I liked the concept where the dish didn't have to actually do anything...the wormhole just reacted with it. Great tie in to the second prompt. Man...Gregs just can't catch a break. Stoogeium, Stoogeian, and Curly...loved it!
    [/...]

Gotta run, but will post more reviews tomorrow...since I'm pretty sure you don't want post-dentist visit NOX powered reviews, as ludicrous as they'd be...

Dang it! Let 'em do it!
    Thanks, I actually looked up elements for a part three, but decided against continuing it.
    They're actual Star Trek Memory Alpha pages, taken from a periodic table found in "Rascals", knowing how the three stooges would react when together, I thought it would be similar with their chemical counterparts.
    Ahh, but I want to hear what the yellow hippos are telling you!
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Revised due to clunkiness.

@marcusdkane - That was great and I love Ael's way of using her authority. Where is there more information I can review concerning the Andorian genders? By chance, have yo read my entry?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    The yellow hippos said:

According to "A Ceremony of Losses", an Andorian shelthreth (pregnancy) takes place after a Thaan (alpha male) fertilizes a Shen (alpha female). The Chan (beta male) also fertilizes the eggs. At some point the eggs are transferred from the womb of the Shen to a pouch on the Zhen, the only member of the bond group that does not contribute genetic material.

Memory Beta's got a lot more.

Gotta run...the yellow hippo seems hungry and wants to play a version of hungry hungry Maso....
    (Just how long is this gas/Valium mix supposed to stay before I can think semi-clearly again? Mind you....any of you dental types know if they've come up with a new formula, because I'm just exhausted after this one...)

Reviews commin' when I'm coherent :D
  • Options
    edited June 2014
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Some more reviews:

@grylak: Re: use of deadly force: "We warned them off, they attacked. We have plenty of justification." Loved it...but don't think it would fly in a 21st century briefing! Am quite curious as to how the Viper is going to get home... (Pt.2) Really enjoyed the concept that it was somebody's mind instead of an alternate universe. Nicely done!

@hawku001x: (Pt.1) Treknology geek question: why the -X suffix after the ship's name and not the registry #? Heh...Tribble space. Tell me...did you have your tongue planted in cheek while writing this one? (Pt.2) Question...is your crew just meticulous in poring over various ship's logs, or is it also genre-aware? Dissing the E-C...:mad:

@allen1973: I'll have to try later, mate. Please reconsider formatting, breaking the massive wall-o-text into eye-friendly bites.

@jonsils: Oooh....B5 title!:D Seriously, awesome stuff as usual! Nailed 'Prophet-speak'...great job!

@cmdrscarlet: again, as usual, loved it! Can't wait to see how they're gonna un-phase! (Re-phase? De-phase? Phase-cycle?) ;)

@marcusdkane: "Ah, I guess in your universe, my counterpart has cojones rather than colgados,"---Classic! Looking forward to the resolution!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    @masopw - Thank you for reading! It's my preference to write vignettes, so its highly unlikely I'm going to add how they got back ... they obviously did :D
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    @marcusdkane: "Ah, I guess in your universe, my counterpart has cojones rather than colgados,"---Classic! Looking forward to the resolution!
    Glad you enjoyed it :cool: The resolution is they manage to send Ael home ;)
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Finally! This is for prompt 1 and was *not* easy for me. I hope it is treknobabbly-correct. Memory Alpha was studied and it still doesn't make much sense to me ;)

Cast for crew:

Kathryn Beringer - Rachel Nichols
    Anthi Ythysi - Katheryn Winnick
    Karl Melango - Jeremy Renner
    Thel Ythysi - Kevin Sorbo
    Ian McKinnon - Ben Browder
    Omazei - Gemma Arterton
    Romas Verthir- Idris Elba

I definitely liked this, and I wonder how they'll have gotten out of the sphere. I do wonder though, will this get reported to starfleet, or one of those...better left alone and/or forgotten incidents.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    @masopw indeed the real name is USS Phoenix (NCC-65420-X) // genre-aware
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    aten66 wrote: »
    I definitely liked this, and I wonder how they'll have gotten out of the sphere. I do wonder though, will this get reported to starfleet, or one of those...better left alone and/or forgotten incidents.

Thank you very much! :) Once I got the idea of being in a Sphere, the logistics of it were daunting to me. Knowing Kathryn like I do, she would report it. So I had to make the Sphere already known to keep it from being "new". With that, I also couldn't have the Sphere in the known galaxy - so it was either in another galaxy (and how would the crew get back from THAT), or put it somewhere else ...
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    @jonsils: Oooh....B5 title!:D Seriously, awesome stuff as usual! Nailed 'Prophet-speak'...great job!
    Well, thank you - although I didn't swipe the title from B5, I swiped it from the same place they did, Chapter 25 of the Gospel According to Luke, with its mentions of "signs and portents in the heavens" and such.

With the Prophets, the hard part was writing all their dialog in the present tense (as they don't really know "past" or "future" as such). That's one of the reasons I had Sisko, or at least an avatar of his, step into the conversation - constant present-tense was making my head hurt. That, and trying to make sure I was being cryptic enough without delving into the completely obscure - I wanted to give the reader the idea of what the Prophets were seeing in Iain's future.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thanks mosapow. The justification also extended into preventing them from harming the freighter and taking hostages. I'm also curious to see how they will get back.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I cam working on something for the Wormhole storyline. I didn't really know how to define as it was described, no ordinary "Space" to me that makes as much sense as the description as "Fluidic" space, which makes no sense. So what I'm working on, may be a tad difficult but, I'm creating answers for questions about a things that I think will largely go unexplored. So I thought it'd be fun to come imagine on my own. Hope it'll be accepted ok, since I dont' often come up with anything that intersts me for these challenges. Thank you.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    @trojanborg - Sure thing! Whatever you come up with should be perfectly acceptable because the prompt is THAT open-ended. Just let go, and let the words take over ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    @masopw - Got caught up today and yours was my last entry to read. That was pretty good stuff, especially since it's a tie in, or continuation, to the previous LC. I am particularly fond of the entire bridge scene after the accident. Remind me the class of ship the Bonaventure is again?
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    @masopw - Got caught up today and yours was my last entry to read. That was pretty good stuff, especially since it's a tie in, or continuation, to the previous LC. I am particularly fond of the entire bridge scene after the accident. Remind me the class of ship the Bonaventure is again?

All of this^^^

Good, solid story as usual, maso! Nico's reaction to the oily Cardassian was fun to read; it's lucky that he's such a professional, or that spoonhead would've been out on his rear.

Also, cmdrscarlet, IIRC it's an Odyssey-class. Maso mentioned it in the LC 61 discussion thread, I think.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    @gulberat: yep...the Glinn's name was a deliberate choice! I'm glad I was able to convey his sketchyness!

Heeheee, nice! Do you speak Russian, by any chance?
    @gulberat: Great job...I felt the near panic of, "Don't let me lose form." With the four gendered Andorians...so...say A and B are males, and C and D are female. (Time rushed...can't hit memory alpha for chan and thans and don't want to rely on memory!) Does A swap with C or D? That could be an interesting debate! Love the introspective, "Am I the only one?" bit!

Thank you. :)

There actually is a logic of sorts behind the Andorian gender swaps...but before I get into it, bear in mind that I follow what is in the Treklit books loosely--as in I took some liberties with the concept. I'll detail that below...
    The yellow hippos said:

According to "A Ceremony of Losses", an Andorian shelthreth (pregnancy) takes place after a Thaan (alpha male) fertilizes a Shen (alpha female). The Chan (beta male) also fertilizes the eggs. At some point the eggs are transferred from the womb of the Shen to a pouch on the Zhen, the only member of the bond group that does not contribute genetic material.

Memory Beta's got a lot more.

This is pretty similar to what I did--except I reversed which is the "alpha" and which is the "beta" male. Reason being that linguistically one tends to hear softer language for "softer" concepts, and harder sounds for "harder" concepts. (See here for what I mean: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouba/kiki_effect )

But what I did with the gender reversals in this prompt was do the switch on alpha/beta lines, meaning that it's not always the same switch that would happen every time.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I never cared for that more than two genders thing. It doesn't really make any sense. Were I to look at it from an evolutionary point of view it doesn't seem like there would be any practicality coming from it. Granted, in real life evolution doesn't seem to have knocked the kinks out of everything. I suppose it creates interesting discussions but to me it just seems like whoever was the person to come up with the notion was putting to paper, some ideal fantasy in the form of science fiction. *shrug* I don't know, andorians are a cool simple looking alien race but this part of the lore is too complicated.
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yeah, I always put the game's apparent '4 gender' thing down to different dialects, given how similar the two feminine and two masculine terms look. And, as mentioned, it doesn't make much sense in evolutionary terms.

Also, the relationship between Shran and Talas in the Enterprise drone ship arc kinda suggests a monogamous relationship to me.
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    When I check Talaina's profile in game, it just shows up as Andorian Female.

And Bosip (Andorian male boff) just shows up as Andorian male. As it was a book thing, I think it's safe to say you can use the four gender thing if you want, or they can be a 2 gender species that have 4 in a marriage.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    So ... STO says there are two genders, canon says there are 4?
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Canon is unclear but LEANS towards 2.

Soft-canon novels say 4.

STO officially says 2 but nods towards soft-canon with a couple of different head options.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2014

STO lacks the mechanics to do more than two biological sexes.

TV canon says nothing either way, beyond a throwaway line in TNG: "Data's Day" that Andorian marriages consist of four people.

The novelverse continuity interpreted the TNG line to mean that Andorians have four biological sexes because the authors felt that it offered more interesting storytelling opportunities (for example, an Andorian population crisis subplot).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yeah, canon doesn't really discuss sex a lot. Probably because a substantial portion of the audience consists of TRIBBLE boys, so there'd be too much snickering for the conversation to be heard.

My personal canon involves four genders, because the thing about evolution is that it's not a sentient force; if something works, it works, and as long as nothing selects against it it'll keep working. If a four-gendered reproductive system enables the Andorians to remain at the top of the planetary food chain (which, by all accounts, is a pretty short one), then there would be no selection against it. (It can also be argued that once a species achieves tool use, evolution is greatly slowed, if not entirely stagnated, as it begins adapting the environment to suit itself, rather than the other way around.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png