Install Arc
Options

Invisable weapons Season 9

12346»

Comments

• Options
    hizenburghizenburg Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Fixed it. Should go out in a patch soon.

YAAAA !!!! thank you, thank you, much appreciated. :)

Bonus:

If you would like a second project,
    A slider to increase the object viewable distance,using a slider with a " render all setting"

For bonus marks,
    The shadow fluttering graphic error,esspecially in the Dyson sphere,

But seriously,, thank you :)
  • Options
    shailatshailat Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited September 2014

I....
    AM.....
    SPEECHLESS!......

Thank you very much!
    ogew7.jpg
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I've never experienced this problem with anything. Then again, I run on minimal graphics. Turn down your settings a bit and it should correct itself.
  • Options
    speedofheatspeedofheat Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited September 2014

awesome!
    /10 chars
    y3m-yM6W2jBAA7NpYi95PewTOHD9vSNpFGl3huKvuKsGif7jH9lBSYRtnx-AxOUzQw00u0SrjnMeAt0McFsPmCC2FoawxgX3ZON4Ork7H39MCRYsgBUn0QYSADDqYpB6wB5twq-_jNOp7AdrNeItQjiXChE9kwGvBsqc-vTz7oj3YM?width=660&height=198&cropmode=none
  • Options
    i10oxi10ox Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Looking forward to it. Thanks!
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    btw, switching gfx to dx9 seems to help at least until the patch is released

Did you notice if it optimized other things better? For example, the black holes on CCE cutting in/out, the plasma trails being un-rendered, various smoke/effects, etc?

Did it JUST seem to help with weapons, or does it seem the entire game is more optimized for DX9?

I'm just curious, as I might try that, and I'm seeing all of the above problems.
  • Options
    captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Im running DX9 & still have the same issues,,,
  • Options
    captionbnplcaptionbnpl Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Hello! I am Starfleet Vice Admiral Melanie Solstice of the Fleet Assault Cruiser U.S.S. STOPolSupervisor. I'm now attempting to start a presence of my own on the forums.
    In response to your inquiry regarding the weapons being invisible from time to time,
    as Cryptic's STO Engine has a limitation, I have found that having the latest video drivers,
    and have an at least 16GB RAM PC With 1TB+ Hard Drive and a Dual NVIDIA GTX Graphics Card really helps with that issue, even though it's not a complete 100% fix, it should help mitigate the issue for the most part. I hope that this response helped you and that you'll take my advice.

If you have any other questions that I might be able to answer, please let me know by replying to this response or by sending me a private message which you have my permission to do.
  • Options
    gizmox64gizmox64 Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Freaken sweet!
    This has been a glitch since season 7 or 8 (or whenever the graphics reset was done the first time)
    Just read the patch notes, thank you for finally nailing down this issue!
    I hope it works as intended, it will be so nice again to be able to SEE what I'm shooting instead of just depending on my "instruments", and being able to look directly at my target too, instead of manipulating the camera just right.
    I hope this indirectly addresses the "invisible" plasma torpedo too.

Thank you for the reply too!
    Very excited to get the patch! CCE for everyone!

Just did a CCE and had ZERO issues, thank you Cryptic for fixing this old bug!
    Now to do a STF to see if my Yellowstones still make the Gate and Cube disappear.
  • Options
    cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    quote from cryptic on reddit (dunno why not on here)
    [–]zeroniusrexZeroniusRex - Producer 11 points 13 hours ago
    It was owing to a problem with raycasting. Apparently something went a bit pear-shaped with it. So we didn't really change any FX priorities or culling code.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Wasnt fixed fully but i think its a bit better than before.

Read my experience of invisible weapons after todays patch doing a cce.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=19171831#post19171831
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crypticcliffcrypticcliff Cryptic Developers Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    quote from cryptic on reddit (dunno why not on here)

This was one possible cause we were looking into. Some stuff had to change when we switched to a new version of PhysX, and one of those things was the raycasting. Also, the fact that we hadn't changed the culling code in any relevant way.

It turned out to have nothing to do with raycasting, though. The bug was in the culling code, from about 2009. It's a *really* old bug that we just now started having an issue with as the on-screen FX number peeked up over a certain limit.

We added some error tracking to make sure we aren't hitting the same bug again. I'll have a look on Monday to see if that error's been popping up at all. I suspect what you're seeing is the FX culling code actually working, but the FX being over our "real" limit.
  • Options
    philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This was one possible cause we were looking into. Some stuff had to change when we switched to a new version of PhysX, and one of those things was the raycasting. Also, the fact that we hadn't changed the culling code in any relevant way.

It turned out to have nothing to do with raycasting, though. The bug was in the culling code, from about 2009. It's a *really* old bug that we just now started having an issue with as the on-screen FX number peeked up over a certain limit.

We added some error tracking to make sure we aren't hitting the same bug again. I'll have a look on Monday to see if that error's been popping up at all. I suspect what you're seeing is the FX culling code actually working, but the FX being over our "real" limit.

I haven't played much since Thursdays patch, but in the time I have played the patch has made a noticeable difference for the better. My sincerest thanks to you and all the devs/techs/engineers that made this happen. :)

If there are any other issues, I'm sure they will be posted here, so please check back on occasion.

Now to change my sig....
    Are we there yet?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    @crypticcliff.

Thanks for the response. I do hope you can find the cause and fix it so that it doesnt cull players own weapons at least and the ones directly fire at your ship. Not too fussed if from my perspective when playing that other players weapons dont fully render all effects (cannon spread fire for example) as it doesnt effect me but them.

Hmm a update to physx. Is that the very latest nvidia one or a older one perhaps from a nvidia drivers perspective? Just wondering if users need to run the exact same one your using or if new ones are fine to use and compatible.

Tbh cryptic. Is there any chance of a disable culling code or a less aggressive culling code that high spec users could switch to in the gfx options perhaps, might help those that dont have fps issues just missing effects issues? Or have some sort of auto switch which makes it high culling on low hardware but low culling (compared to what it is today) for high end systems by some sorta pc detection algorithm as in a pc auto detect best settings thing which i think might be in the game already?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    AWESOME STUFF cryptic.
    I have had no problems with graphics and disappearing shields and weapons at all. Great work.
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • Options
    bubblebaflebubblebafle Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    hojain2020 wrote: »
    AWESOME STUFF cryptic.
    I have had no problems with graphics and disappearing shields and weapons at all. Great work.

It was "fixed" for about 2 weeks. Maybe just the time you started playing. But now, they are back.

Invisible weapons are back, and now i am suffering it even more than before the "fix". I only hope cryptic team have a solution for this. This game lose all the gameplay if i cant see my own weapons at all.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Ok, so any news about fixing this again??? or should we just expect in DR to keep playing without seeing our weapons?? should i start thinking on other games?:mad:
  • Options
    praitorpraitor Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    i too had these problems , my solution was to go to the game folder and delete all temp files , this fixed the issue for me ,as it rebuilt all the temp files to the latest ones . now shields work and all lasers are seen as before and even the graphics looks 10 times better.
    was having shader problems in esd and graphics glitches this fixed it...
    in game shields not working fixed this too..
    plasma torps weapons spread not showing fixed this....
    general shaders and graphics of poor quality fixed this looks lots better now....
    unstable fps and in game stalling when high amount of ships and weapons fire fixed this too..

deleted everything in
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\cache
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\localdata (optional)
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\cef_cache

reset all graphics options to how they where before deleting above files game ran fine and was loads better , i then started turning things up because the game ran that much smoother it allowed me to turn up graphics options that for some reason if i tried before the game ran so badly and the fps went to below 20fps in esd and pves it was unplayable , so may be worth a try for others especially if you have updated your hardware and never deleted these files before.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    praitor wrote: »
    i too had these problems , my solution was to go to the game folder and delete all temp files , this fixed the issue for me ,as it rebuilt all the temp files to the latest ones . now shields work and all lasers are seen as before and even the graphics looks 10 times better.
    was having shader problems in esd and graphics glitches this fixed it...
    in game shields not working fixed this too..
    plasma torps weapons spread not showing fixed this....
    general shaders and graphics of poor quality fixed this looks lots better now....
    unstable fps and in game stalling when high amount of ships and weapons fire fixed this too..

deleted everything in
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\cache
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\localdata (optional)
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\cef_cache

reset all graphics options to how they where before deleting above files game ran fine and was loads better , i then started turning things up because the game ran that much smoother it allowed me to turn up graphics options that for some reason if i tried before the game ran so badly and the fps went to below 20fps in esd and pves it was unplayable , so may be worth a try for others especially if you have updated your hardware and never deleted these files before.

That was clearly a problem of your graphics configuration.. but has nothing to do with the "invisible weapons" bug of the game people are experiencing since years ago (since the game was released, but after season 9 the symptoms are far worst). And its present no matter what you do. Go to the undine battlezone, and experience an incredible ugly gaming sesion. On other maps, you will never experience this. But in a few, nobody is safe from this.

But just for you to not think i am just saying nonsense, i did what you proposed, and nothing changed. Anyways the cef_cache folder was non existent in my game folder. And i didnt touch anything in the localdata folder because the graphic options are not the problem.