test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #12: Undine Reputation

Comments

• borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2014
    Regarding the 4-Piece Bonuses that some have noticed on the Tribble versions of these Reputation Rewards...

The following items will be given as rewards from our upcoming Season 9 Featured Episode:

- Profession-Specific Counter-Command Kit Mk XI [Will]x3 [Undine]
    - Console - Tactical - Counter-Command Multi-Conduit Energy Relay

There will be additional rewards from this mission which will be briefly mentioned in an upcoming Dev Blog on the subject.

Each of the above items completes the Ground and Space Sets, respectively, giving players access to the 4-piece Set Bonuses. Since they are tied into end-game Reputation Sets, both pieces of equipment are only able to be equipped by lvl 50 players, even though they can be earned at any level by playing the Season 9 Featured Episode.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Regarding the 4-Piece Bonuses that some have noticed on the Tribble versions of these Reputation Rewards...

The following items will be given as rewards from our upcoming Season 9 Featured Episode:

There will be additional rewards from this mission which will be briefly mentioned in an upcoming Dev Blog on the subject.

Each of the above items completes the Ground and Space Sets, respectively, giving players access to the 4-piece Set Bonuses. Since they are tied into end-game Reputation Sets, both pieces of equipment are only able to be equipped by lvl 50 players, even though they can be earned at any level by playing the Season 9 Featured Episode.

Thanks for that, Bort - some of us had been wondering about the 4th piece for a wee while - whether it would be a mission reward or tied into something else. Nifty to know, thanks again.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    atlmykl wrote: »
    Well if we are going that route we should haul in every fed ship and force them to carry phasers. While we are at it no fed ship could ever shoot first or even fight back untill shields are about to fail.

"Romulan disruptors" also left behind residual antiprotons....so AP weapons. Also 'know to carry' does not mean always.

Like it or not plasma is the Romulan racial weapon of choice and many of us have taken it to heart. I want a heavy plasma turret.
    That doesn't faze me either I'm pretty religious about my faction weaponry for now.

Residual anti-protons don't necessarily indicate Antiproton weapons, anti-protons are likely a side effect of the weapon's impact on shields or the ship's hull. The Planet Killer's weapon was never referred to as a disruptor it was called an antiproton beam. Disruptors disrupt the target's molecules. Anti-protons destroy the targets protons obliterating the atoms outright.

That said, it is worth agreeing with you that one of the big three in game doesn't have their associated weaponry represented in an alliance of the big three. There should be a Romulan Plasma turret for the set. :) It's not like the Romulan faction hasn't been invented. Don't throw us too much into our alliances.

Hmm, sounds good. Opening thge season with a high level kit too, very nice.

Funny enough all this anti-psi gear will also help if you want to replay the missions against Remans again.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • martakurillmartakurill Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited April 2014

If that profession specific kit for engineers has a slotting like 2 fabrication / 2 mechanic / 1 engineering, it will go a long way towards remedying the problematic nature of fleet kits for engineers. Here's hoping...
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jaturnley wrote: »
    So do you really not understand the reason why this is necessary, or do you not care that the game needs fixing in this regard? Is the end game content being less and less accessible to casual/new players genuinely not a concern for you, as long as you don't have to adjust the way you play a little?

Fella, in the grand scheme of things, the rep passives were simply a drop in the ocean of power creep. All of this rep "revamp" is just rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic.
    I need a beer.

• jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Fella, in the grand scheme of things, the rep passives were simply a drop in the ocean of power creep. All of this rep "revamp" is just rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic.

Agreed, but it's gotta start somewhere. The people in here don't want even the most minor changes if it makes them have to think about the way they play. Those people are either going to need to buck up, or prepare for disappointment if the game is going to keep drawing new players / keep casual players on board.

To be fair to STO, at the three year mark I give it far above average marks for power creep compared to other MMOs. By this point, most MMOs have begun the "only big guilds get the good stuff" mantra, the economies on most servers make it impossible for a new toon to begin without being twinked, and/or the best loot is camped 24/7 so you have basically zero chance of getting it. From that perspective, we are in pretty damned good shape over here.
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited April 2014

MK XI? No MK XII?
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Agreed, but it's gotta start somewhere. The people in here don't want even the most minor changes if it makes them have to think about the way they play. Those people are either going to need to buck up, or prepare for disappointment if the game is going to keep drawing new players / keep casual players on board.

I only want changes that are productive, fitting and not detrimental to Veterans and New Players. This change is desinged to only help the the new players and to disregard the veteran players past efforts and commitment to the game. The power creep explination, while may have been thier impetus to this change, is not carried out in the actions taken. I am more upset over the fact that they belittled my effort to the game to create parity between new characters and veteran players. They should have taken the route of how to help the new player reach the veteran level of play and equipement than nerfing veterens commitment of the game they created. It's that lack of respect towards commited veteran players is at the core of my uphappiness for this change, more so than the change itself.

And to even further fuel the veteren animosity is the pointed lack of response of considering any of the veteran player suggestions on how to limit power creep without nerfing commited time in game. That hurts the most. They fact they seem so commited to make veterens as limited as new players, rather than empowering new players to get as goood as the veterens.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • damix4damix4 Member Posts: 609 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    What? No Plasma energy type for the new Rep weapons?

You get plasma weapons (Romulan plasma) in Romulan reputation. Now for the first time we have disruptor and phaser. They want to cover all weapon types.
    sisteric wrote: »
    I am more upset over the fact that they belittled my effort to the game to create parity between new characters and veteran players. They should have taken the route of how to help the new player reach the veteran level of play and equipement than nerfing veterens commitment of the game they created. It's that lack of respect towards commited veteran players is at the core of my uphappiness for this change, more so than the change itself.

You had months/years to go through those reputations..what about new players? In short time they are offered 5 reputations, imagine the grind and pain until they will have same number of reputation powers.. And number of reputations will go higher.

Btw. each power was buffed.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    sisteric wrote: »
    This change is desinged to only help the the new players and to disregard the veteran players past efforts and commitment to the game.

Here's your problem: they aren't ignoring the "veterans". All of the suggestions you all have come up with have already been shot down and you guys won't take "no" for an answer. And that's because the ideas you guys have come up with return the status quo. They don't want the status quo because every other game out there has the status quo and the ride never ends.

Right now, we're at the point where a player can, in (almost) the words of Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, "embark in elite quests intended for parties of five and fashion the boss ship as a stylish skin". That's not fun, this absurd. Line has to be drawn somewhere and this is more or less a feeling of where to go next.

'Sides, we all saw the rage when they accidentally nerfed the Romulan BOFFs.
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,788 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Okay, so.... The Ground Armor boosts Melee Damage and the Set is with a Ranged Weapon?

:confused:
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited April 2014

I like the idea of incorporating kits into ground sets. That's really cool. Thanks for letting us know the stuff didn't just disappear!
  • vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The big question is what do we have to do to get our Undine bridge officer?:P
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hold up. So, most of the reputation traits are automatically Nerfed because of the whole 4/4/4 limit.

Oops. I guess this a reputation system I won't do. Cryptic you made my life so much easier since it's less time on STO.
  • sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Hold up. So, most of the reputation traits are automatically Nerfed because of the whole 4/4/4 limit.

Oops. I guess this a reputation system I won't do. Cryptic you made my life so much easier since it's less time on STO.
    What.... There's nothing being nerfed with the reputation traits. They've been buffed. However if you want to continue to spread disinformation and bait Cryptic by saying "I'm leaving" that's fine.
    edited April 2014
    What.... There's nothing being nerfed with the reputation traits. They've been buffed. However if you want to continue to spread disinformation and bait Cryptic by saying "I'm leaving" that's fine.

No. It's a Nerf.

No matter how you add using all current passive skills even do not match 4/4/4 even buffed. So, It's a freaken Nerf.

Someone decides to tell you that a full size pizza will be a equivalent of a personal pizza with twice the meat.

Same example as to the reputation system. Nerf.

As, for baiting Cryptic.

I'm not trying to bait Cryptic. I simply will not do the reputation this release system and forward. I really don't care what Cryptic think of me not doing the reputation system.
  • schmedickeschmedicke Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm happy that the KDF/UFB got damage boosts to their energy types. I'm aware that romis have their own rep and plasma dmg boost but only at 7.6% and not the 15% the undine rep gets. Plus there is no plasma ground set for either reps. Are threre plans to reduce the dmg boost to 7.6% on the undine rep or boost the romi dmg boost to15% to be on par? Or posibly making a plasma based undine rep?.
  • sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    No. It's a Nerf.

No matter how you add using all current passive skills even do not match 4/4/4 even buffed. So, It's a freaken Nerf.

Someone decides to tell you that a full size pizza will be a equivalent of a personal pizza with twice the meat.

Same example as to the reputation system. Nerf.

As, for baiting Cryptic.

I'm not trying to bait Cryptic. I simply will not do the reputation this release system and forward. I really don't care what Cryptic think of me not doing the reputation system.
    Are you saddened that you are slightly less OP? These changes aren't even that bad compared to what we've had in the past.
    edited April 2014
    Are you saddened that you are slightly less OP? These changes aren't even that bad compared to what we've had in the past.

Not at all. I amazed at Cryptic Developers lack of competency to make end game content to match the level of players who did all reputations systems at there maximum level. Better yet, the buff actually make certain builds stronger and other weaker. So, I expect people to cry about overpowered players. I am also amazed at Cryptic inability to make this game more Star Trek like instead of a gimmick MMO with the face of Star Trek. I am also amazed at Cryptic turning this game to Grind Fest Online, Kill Fest Online, and Genocide Fest Online.

Since, Cryptic will be making announcements about more overpower gear. There will be more people of crying.

Love seeing puppets agree with Cryptic.
  • oracion666oracion666 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think I should start a new thread, 'Whats your beef with plasma flavor, Cryptic?'

Why no plasma flavored space toy? Would really go along well with my romulan plasma pewpew guns.
    Formerly known as Echo@Rivyn13
    Member since early 2011

• blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not at all. I amazed at Cryptic Developers lack of competency to make end game content to match the level of players who did all reputations systems at there maximum level. Better yet, the buff actually make certain builds stronger and other weaker. So, I expect people to cry about overpowered players. I am also amazed at Cryptic inability to make this game more Star Trek like instead of a gimmick MMO with the face of Star Trek. I am also amazed at Cryptic turning this game to Grind Fest Online, Kill Fest Online, and Genocide Fest Online.

Since, Cryptic will be making announcements about more overpower gear. There will be more people of crying.

Love seeing puppets agree with Cryptic.
    You do know that making insults to other people doesn't make your argument any more valid, correct? It just shows how immature you are because you think calling people "puppets" or whatever is going to get you anywhere; well, it will, the place is called nowhere, and you'll get there fast.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So do you really not understand the reason why this is necessary, or do you not care that the game needs fixing in this regard?

Both are false statements: it's wasn't necessary to nerf us for 50%, and the game didn't need fixing in that regard.

As I'm saying for the zillionth time: everyone agrees on some sort of cap being needed; but said cap didn't need to be at -50%. At 8/8/4 it would have sufficed just fine, thank you.
    Is the end game content being less and less accessible to casual/new players genuinely not a concern for you, as long as you don't have to adjust the way you play a little?

Yep, 'end game content being less and less accessible to casual/new players' is genuinely no concern to me. Nor should it be to you, really. As I'm saying, also for the zillionth time, you can level up from 0 to 50, fully geared up, with all reps done, in about 2 months (sans sponsor token).

So, yes, not buying into the whole insurmountable gap argument, as it's, frankly, utter bollocks. Cryptic wants to cater to the 'instant gratification' crowd? Fine, but I'm not going to be their enabler.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    oracion666 wrote: »
    I think I should start a new thread, 'Whats your beef with plasma flavor, Cryptic?'

Why no plasma flavored space toy? Would really go along well with my romulan plasma pewpew guns.

This game has a plethora of plasma weapons already. I, for one, welcome the promotion of other weps for a change. Besides, as has been pointed out several times already, Roms use Disruptor too: it's just STO, really, that primarily has them focussed on plasma.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I would explain why everyone is wrong about the nerfs but frankly I can't be asked to put the effort in, it's just amazing no one actually tests stuff properly except a few people.

LOL, yeah you are right taking away stuff people grinded 100's or more hours on isn't wrong :P
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Good thing no one asked you then. :P

And yup, tested it, and it's a nerf: I had 8 passives, and now I only have 4. The remaining 4 were supposed to have their effect doubled (the whole "nickel and dime" spiel), but were already nerfed themselves before Season 9 got live.

Anyway, I, in turn, can't be bothered to help you work thru your denial. The Undine stuff looks worth having, and I'm likely gonna get it all.

Undine armor suits indeed don't look too Trekkie. More like something you'd see in Crysis 3, or 'Deus Ex: Human Revolution.'

Yeah the Star Trek aspect of this game left this game when it went f2p.

Pre-F2P = Make Star Trek looking stuff so people would sub

Post-F2P = Make one thing a year that resembles star trek in some degree and then push out 1000 items that have a star trek label slapped on the side of it but aren't much of anything star trek just to get the random space mmorpg players out there something to gamble on.
    edited April 2014
    You do know that making insults to other people doesn't make your argument any more valid, correct? It just shows how immature you are because you think calling people "puppets" or whatever is going to get you anywhere; well, it will, the place is called nowhere, and you'll get there fast.

Maybe I was a little harsh about saying puppet. But everything I said about Cryptic is pretty accurate. Did Ialso mention it seems Cryptic don't care one bit about it's player base? Nerfing what players spent time working on to get.
  • ducklesworthducklesworth Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I amazed at Cryptic Developers lack of competency to make end game content to match the level of players who did all reputations systems at there maximum level.

Maybe it's just because I've been here for four years, but I'm never amazed at Cryptic's lack of competency. I've come to expect it.

To be fair, though, I'm not sure how many devs are still around from launch, and they do seem to be improving. A little. Grinds are going to happen in MMOs. Nothing will ever change that.
    Nerfing what players spent time working on to get.

Do you realize that you're not losing anything? There've been a few people in this thread already that have cried "you've taken away something it took me hundreds of hours to get!" No... That's just not true. They're simply limiting how many Rep powers(traits now) you can have active on a character at a time. Power creep is a real threat if you add 5 abilities per Rep system with no cap. Not to mention that they've done away with rep and trait respec tokens, and made it completely free. The game seems to be going in a more modular direction, and I support that. With a little smart planning before running into the fray, you can own face. Why the controversy? Is it the fact that the player now has to think before zerging in? If that's the case, I can't say I blame you. Jumping into a public queue and dealing with the, uh, less skilled players(that is literally the best way I can put it without getting banhammered for cursing) is already a pain. I can imagine that requiring more thinking and planning on the part of the general STO population might just be a nightmare.
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Both are false statements: it's wasn't necessary to nerf us for 50%, and the game didn't need fixing in that regard.

As I'm saying for the zillionth time: everyone agrees on some sort of cap being needed; but said cap didn't need to be at -50%. At 8/8/4 it would have sufficed just fine, thank you.

I want to point out that under the old system you were completely stuck with your choices, and now you can change them at any time when not in combat, so while they limited the number, they increased both the effect AND the flexibility of the choices. Having actually messed with the system on Tribble, I can tell you flat out that the new system is nowhere near as bad as people are making it out to be, provided you spend some effort to tweak your build for the missions you are running at the time.

With the racial traits thrown in, you can now tweak your trait build to an extent that far exceeds any losses from the rep system. Add in the fact that the traits from lockboxes are now just treated like any other racial trait, and the flexibility and options go up even more; traits that were useless before now can be in the list and activated when your build can take advantage of it. For example the Hot Pursuit trait that doubles the range of mines was not useful on a ship without them and respecing was too expensive to bother with it. That is not the case now, since you can leave it disabled and just turn it on when you are running a ship that has mines to take advantage of it.

As per usual with people's initial reactions to big changes, the rancor is simply far worse than is deserved.
    edited April 2014

Yeah the Star Trek aspect of this game left this game when it went f2p.

Pre-F2P = Make Star Trek looking stuff so people would sub

Post-F2P = Make one thing a year that resembles star trek in some degree and then push out 1000 items that have a star trek label slapped on the side of it but aren't much of anything star trek just to get the random space mmorpg players out there something to gamble on.

No, Perpetual's design was Star Trek. The problem was that many people did not want that, including the designers. So they never did anything BUT designs.

Honestly, I could go for something right about in the middle of Cryptic's and Perpetual's ideas.

On the topic of Reps: I was traveling when all of this stuff came about. Are there any Reps Space Sets for Anti-Proton-based?
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jslyn wrote: »
    On the topic of Reps: I was traveling when all of this stuff came about. Are there any Reps Space Sets for Anti-Proton-based?

Surprisingly, no. This one is all Phaser/Disruptor. Which I have to admit, I'm happy to see - especially with poor Phaser.
    edited April 2014
    Surprisingly, no. This one is all Phaser/Disruptor. Which I have to admit, I'm happy to see - especially with poor Phaser.

Yes, Phasers could use some love.

A pity, though. I was building my charrie to use AP. Ah, well.