What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romulans Nerfed on Tribble - Demand No Leadership Trait for Feds

Comments

• Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    As good as this might be for faction balance in lieu of creating more space traits for other races, this is actually a bug. We're looking into it right now, and believe it was caused by changing how trait powers work to convert them to slotting.

Give vulcans a trait to buff science abilities. The Vulcan Science Academy should have made them science experts, no stretch there.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As good as this might be for faction balance in lieu of creating more space traits for other races, this is actually a bug. We're looking into it right now, and believe it was caused by changing how trait powers work to convert them to slotting.

Other races still should get space traits. I still think that Humans, Borg, and Romulans being the only ones that get bonuses to space is rather silly.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Other races still should get space traits. I still think that Humans, Borg, and Romulans being the only ones that get bonuses to space is rather silly.
    you forgot remans, nausicaans, saurians and letheans
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Whew.

Thanks for the reply. :)
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This is news to you?
    The old Borg set was in the game for several "years" before it got royally hit with the nerf bat. :rolleyes:

Which quite frankly was needed as people would go 3-piece borg + best shield in the game and get a wonderful shield regeneration proc on top of that.

I'm pretty much assuming this but most of these redrawing of the lines to speak which I very much don't agree with removing something people worked for and then rip away. All though they are probally doing this for a new angle to try to lure ppl into buying lockboxes where theres no content license to have to share the profits with heh. It will be something very much not star trek but it'll be sold to ppl who min max that are still around after this nerf.
  • Options
    alaerickalaerick Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Please add other space traits for each race. I have an all human crew on my fed and an all romulan crew on my romulan.. I'd love to be able to mix it up a bit.

Note I'm not for nerfing things as it tends to sour the feeling toward a company when something is taken away.. but all races should have at least one space trait. It's just bizarre that they don't.
    A beautiful death awaits you...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
    Campaign: The Battle of Neverwinter - NWS-DOQXFA4ZD
    Prologue: A not so simple plan - NW-DCJG75B9D
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm pretty much assuming this but most of these redrawing of the lines to speak which I very much don't agree with removing something people worked for and then rip away. All though they are probally doing this for a new angle to try to lure ppl into buying lockboxes where theres no content license to have to share the profits with heh. It will be something very much not star trek but it'll be sold to ppl who min max that are still around after this nerf.

If something is unbalanced. It needs balancing. Even if it took them some time to do it.

Look at generally well balanced RPGs and RTSs, if they're multiplayer, they often have frequent changes to rebalance things just for the sake of mixing up play styles, encouraging new types of play and stopping things from getting stagnant.

If people are paying through the teeth for something, its usually a good indication that its unbalanced, and people need to accept that it will likely be a temporary one-up and they're paying for a temporary advantage. Cryptic can't permanently have their hands tied on fixing things just because its been in the game for a long time; though, it would explain half the bugs. :P
  • Options
    drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    alaerick wrote: »
    Please add other space traits for each race. I have an all human crew on my fed and an all romulan crew on my romulan.. I'd love to be able to mix it up a bit.

Note I'm not for nerfing things as it tends to sour the feeling toward a company when something is taken away.. but all races should have at least one space trait. It's just bizarre that they don't.

Pretty much my feelings on the matter. The current trait system is a bit unwieldy in general for balancing Space vs. Ground traits for both players and boffs. I think Hawk has mentioned the idea of separating the Space and Ground tracks as something up on the Whiteboard, but that something like that would be a major overhaul of the whole Trait system and wouldn't happen for some time yet.

It feels very Star Trek for my bridge crew to be highly diverse. I shouldn't feel like it's Homo sapiens uber alles with this sort of thing.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Thank you for confirming this. It's rather unsettling to see people jump to conclusions, assume the worse, and spread rumors.

Kinda reminds me of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henny_Penny
    The phrase "The sky is falling!" features prominently in the story, and has passed into the English language as a common idiom indicating a hysterical or mistaken belief that disaster is imminent.

Sound about right?
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Give vulcans a trait to buff science abilities. The Vulcan Science Academy should have made them science experts, no stretch there.

Your suggestion is........logical. I like it. My Vulcan tactical captain would love......that......if he were a science captain....Well it's still a good suggestion. :)
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The bonus from traits is negligible at best. Between running aroundwith a random boff crew and all humans, it really makes no difference. And I really don't understand what people are complaining about when they say romulans are op'd. Sure, their singularity abilities makes them tough for a few seconds, but their ships are so fragile without them that its like slicing through clouds. Seriously, I have a romulan toon, but compared to my fed, which has basically the same exact setup, its pathetically outmatched. The only thing romulan ships have going for them is the singularities and cannons, but their ships turn so slowly that it's hardly an issue. The only reason the scimitar can outgun everything else is because the pilot stops and blasts his target head on. Any half decent pilot can take out a scimitar with little effort or damage.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Can't say I'd be too upset if this is intentional, and that's coming from someone with a full SRO crew (and Tovan :rolleyes: ). The stacking is pretty ridiculous, it's certainly not needed.

I paid 10+ mil EC for each of those SRO's. In fact, I rolled a Rom especially for the SRO's. Would be upsetting to see them nerfed. :(
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I paid 10+ mil EC for each of those SRO's. In fact, I rolled a Rom especially for the SRO's. Would be upsetting to see them nerfed. :(
    There is a simple truth when playing MMO. Don't pay more than you can loose for flavor of the month build, because sooner or later, they'll be nerfed.

SRO is OP, and will be nerf sooner or later. Just like, I hope, A2b+dem+marion will be nerfed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited April 2014

I have four rom toons, but I never paid for an SRO.

You get like 2-3 leveling up (on average), and i used a free character slot to keep making an alt over and over to farm the 2-3 bonus officers at 25/35/45 to give to my actual play toons.

Combine that with doffing on 4-5 roms at once for the SRO mission, and i have fully decked out all of my toons for absolutely free. Heck ive even made a couple hundred mil selling extra.

=/

Why dont more people do it this way, i honestly wonder. Way I see it, if I dont spend money on something I dont feel bad when its gone.

This stuff needed nerfed anyway. But at the same time it boggles my mind just how much people paid for 2 percent crit.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I have four rom toons, but I never paid for an SRO.

You get like 2-3 leveling up (on average), and i used a free character slot to keep making an alt over and over to farm the 2-3 bonus officers at 25/35/45 to give to my actual play toons.

Combine that with doffing on 4-5 roms at once for the SRO mission, and i have fully decked out all of my toons for absolutely free. Heck ive even made a couple hundred mil selling extra.

=/

Why dont more people do it this way, i honestly wonder. Way I see it, if I dont spend money on something I dont feel bad when its gone.

This stuff needed nerfed anyway. But at the same time it boggles my mind just how much people paid for 2 percent crit.

Time = money. I hated grinding up my new Rom to begin with, and do all annoying reps again, get all the good gear anew, etc.

And I only got 1 SRO on my way up. The rest? I can't be bothered spending countless extra hours trying to lv up a new toon, in hopes of getting a SRO. Some ppl simply buy time with EC -- however much that may boggle your mind.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    genadagenada Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014

As a developer it's your job to tell players no at times and to take things away when it's clearly over powered.

This has been know to be overpowered compared to the other factions for a long time. The problem is when you wait to nerf something that needs to be nerfed it makes more people angry then if you had done it when it was know to be a problem.

If your not going to nerf it, which you should. Then you should at least allow fed and kdf toons to use Romulan officers so they can get there own sup op boffs.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    genada wrote: »
    Then you should at least allow fed and kdf toons to use Romulan officers so they can get there own sup op boffs.
    *cough*embassy*cough*
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    genadagenada Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    *cough*embassy*cough*

You cann't get a full crew of sup op Romulans from the embassy:/
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    SRO is OP, and will be nerf sooner or later. Just like, I hope, A2b+dem+marion will be nerfed.

Yup, you got em in every MMO: ppl like you, who will stop at nothing until they've destroyed everyhing of value around them.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    genada wrote: »
    If your not going to nerf it, which you should. Then you should at least allow fed and kdf toons to use Romulan officers so they can get there own sup op boffs.

Or do what I did: stop being jealous, and roll your own Rom.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Can we get Superior operative trait for vulcans for fed, and for some kdf race please ?

Really this would be the best solution. Though we generally need more space passive BO traits I think.

Like Pakleds could give bonus against confuse and placate. They are dumb, they dont care about sensors...they keep firing!
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    wow, jump to conclusions much? Maybe you shouldn't get too upset over a bug, since it's clear that you thought it would happen. It's a bug, so you can now lay down your torch and pitchfork now, since it's not a big deal.

You did see this part of Hawk's post, I presume?
    You see the emphasized part?

Frankly, I do not believe Hawk and any other Cryptic liar. They been constantly Nerfing taking away and putting back features into the game in the name of Balance. Catering to specific crowds ignoring long running players time spent into the game.

I will not believe it till I see a matienance note or a bug fix note. Feds can have a "Superior Tactical Training trait" that matches almost the Romulan Operative maybe giving Feds a +20 while Romulans keep there +40 or whatever. Same as Klingon "Superior War Training", or allow Feds to have "+superior leadership" and "+efficient" at the same time.

Anyway, I don't believe Hawk and other Cryptic cheerleaders.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Remove SRO from the game. Then, give a single copy of it to Tovan Khev and make it a unique trait just for him.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    lan451 wrote: »
    Remove SRO from the game. Then, give a single copy of it to Tovan Khev and make it a unique trait just for him.
    yes, because he clearly fits the definition of an operative :rolleyes:

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    yes, because he clearly fits the definition of an operative :rolleyes:

He does. He's the coolest NPC that Cryptic has ever made. He should have the ultimate trait all to himself and no one else.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    drumcd74656drumcd74656 Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited April 2014

So, since you've admitted that you (and Cryptic by extension) KNOW that this stacking passive is stupid-OP, why not just leave it?

Just go ahead and break the Technician Doffs next, please.

...and LEAVE IT.

Nerf that Rep. Nerf the Borg set.... Seriously, why not start fixing what's actually wrong with this game instead of just adding more stupid grind? At least the grind could be more than a key-board face-roll then.

(I'm particularly sick of looking at that un-customize-able Romulan Tac Boff popping up on my screen all the time anyway. At least Romulan players can change how Tovan looks.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eisenw0lfeisenw0lf Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    lan451 wrote: »

... this AND they should also simultaniously add the option to airlock him. The choice between enduring his terrible persona or loosing the only SRO in this game will crush people. The forum rage would be priceless :D
  • Options
    tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    eisenw0lf wrote: »
    ... this AND they should also simultaniously add the option to airlock him. The choice between enduring his terrible persona or loosing the only SRO in this game will crush people. The forum rage would be priceless :D

The auspex is showing a great concentration of Tzeentch particles from you.

Are you just trying to give the devs bad ideas to make the game crash for your own amusement, or is some other company paying you?

Also, give Leadership to KDF. Bortas could use it.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Or do what I did: stop being jealous, and roll your own Rom.

uwotm8

four rom toons, all of them with at least 4 SROs each, a couple have 5 cause I dont use infiltrators on them

I want this nerfed badly. They completely outclass the rest of my characters and there is no reason to ever play my other characters, besides perhaps sentimental value? Zero utility gain in any case.

I support nerfing THE LIVING HELL out of the romulan faction, so you can take your "jealously" argument somewhere else.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus