test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #54: Galaxy Class Reboot

Comments

• cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    What do you base that on?

Boffs? Or do you think that the Gal is better healer than the ody? Just go to any PVP and tell me how many Gal healers you see.

johngazman wrote: »
    Yeah, in fact he actually said the Dread was getting it's Boff stations "nerfed".

https://twitter.com/PWECaptainSmirk/status/439135728405340160

At least we can agree on something.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ufpterrell wrote: »
    I tweeted smirk earlier and he said there are no plans to buff the galaxy-r so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Well since for them buff = hangar, I actually prefer it this way. I'll take the set bonus offered here and the second gen. of saucer separation and be on my merry way.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • xablisxablis Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So, since the Garumba was supposed to be the KDF's counter to the dread, does this mean the Garumba will get a 5th fore weapon slot (since slapping a hangar bay on it would make no sense at all)? Also, will the Garumba get a set bonus if you equip the other nausicaan ship consoles on it?

*oh, and let us not forget the fleet version of the Garumba as well.
  • gornman47gornman47 Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Thank you Cryptic! This a great step in the right direction. Now all the Galaxy -X needs is a commander Tac station and it will be perfect.
    Q: [quoting Hartley] "Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays..."
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Is not, is a half made work and do you think they are going complete it in the future? This is the Galaxy that we are going to have for years.. is the same Galaxy that its useless against the current ships and is going to be even more TRIBBLE against the ships that are going to be releases in the 2015.

Although a lot of people are disappointed, there are some important things to note with this latest press release.

1) They heard us. So polaronbeam and all of the other people on this forum who said "they're not listening/will never listen" are plain WRONG. It also means that, by some extent, the "What is your beef with the Galaxy" thread has made an impression. Oh, and these forum signatures too.

2) Galaxy-X, one of the tactically oriented cruisers held back by multiple issues, received the most benefits from this revamp. Hangar bay to slot pets/spam, and a Fleet version greatly affect how players will fly the ship from now on. Saucer Sep on the Galaxy-X now offers additional new tactics and strategies. It's questionable if the Ens Universal seat is an improvement however.

3) Set bonus. While being purely defensive, the set bonus does benefit the Galaxy-R best, improving its already massive tanking ability by an additional +20 to Hull Plating and Armor Reinf. Turn rate doesn't really do much, but it helps to have it anyway.

4) Additional possibilities of successive revamps, tweaks, and even revamps of other STO ships that are sitting on the sidelines.

Again, a complete ship revamp in this game has, as far as I know, never been seen before. It's a very important step in the right direction.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • kolbrandrkolbrandr Member Posts: 266
    edited February 2014
    I'm happy for the feds. The Galaxy is finally getting fixed up to what it should have been.

In the same spirit, it is time to fix the B'rel retro's cloak. Spread the love and let the B'rel fire while cloaked for real.
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So if i read this right the Galaxy-x gets a new boff setup, the Tact ensign becomes a Ensign Uni to bring it in line with other dreadnoughts who have lt cmd/cmd tact stations. A hanger bay, and a 10th console slot.
    So the ship is still gimped compared to other ships by having a lt tact and ens tact/uni station and poor turn rate and inertia. You haven't specified where the 10th console will be allocated. my guess will be engineering.
    So all in all the ship is still good dam poor to the Sovereign, Excelsior, Tor'Kaht and Scimitar to name but a few.

Take the ship back to the drawing board. It doesn't need a hanger, it doesn't need a uni ens slot. and it DOES NOT NEED SAUCER SEPARATION.

Oh well can't please everyone but please do not try to tell me that this ship has been brought i line with other dreadnoughts when it is clearly still behind these ships mentioned as examples
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Ya'll are going to be just far to smug and pleased with your selves... Specially you Dreadnought drivers.. I better see you all proudly roaming in "CANON" All Good Things uniforms or I will think bad thoughts at you!

Just for that, I'm going to wear a non-canon uniform, use the Venture skin, give the ship a ridiculous paint job, and slap on every energy type except phasers on my dreadnought. :P
  • catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited February 2014
    I want a B'rel that can launch B'rels out of a B'rel hangar! Everyone is getting hangars! Why not a B'rel?!

The price of better dil farming is broken, dated content. I will take the dil.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2014

1) They heard us. So polaronbeam and all of the other people on this forum who said "they're not listening/will never listen" are plain WRONG. It also means that, by some extent, the "What is your beef with the Galaxy" thread has made an impression. Oh, and these forum signatures too.
    Technically, they hear us because they found a way to monetize this change. They are releasing a 4K zen bundle, and a 2 piece set bonus.

They are just planning to make money. As they already said, the Galaxy is popular, by making it better, and talking about it, they hope to sell more of them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Huh? I read today's release notes. Nothing about the Galaxy was even mentioned. Did I miss something?
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Imagine what would happen if CBS said "Yes" to the T5 Connie... PWE would make $$$$$$$$$
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited February 2014

4) Additional possibilities of successive revamps, tweaks, and even revamps of other STO ships that are sitting on the sidelines.

If we waited 3 years for a imbruement on the saucer separation of the Gal R, how much do we have to wait for a real imbruement? Probably the when we play STO in holodecks.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    rickdanko wrote: »
    Huh? I read today's release notes. Nothing about the Galaxy was even mentioned. Did I miss something?

Little bit.
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Or I'll continue to wear my Antares 2 uniform and fly my vesta and continue to play the game the way I want to.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    What do you base that on?

dont troll shame and then ask a question like that. your talented enough to know why its an inferior tank or healer
  • captainsucrecaptainsucre Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    That's hardly fair. These updated versions of the ships are far more appealing than they used to be.

Perhaps, there should be limited time 'upgrade' options for people who already bought one of the ships to get the 3-pack at a reduced price - but only for a short time?
    e.g. I have the T4 Refit Galaxy which costs 1500 Zen (If memory serves...) but I didn't fancy the Retrofit or Dreadnought at the time.
    Now I do.
    I'd like to be able to pick up the other 2 at 2500 since that would bring the spent Zen to a total of 4000 - that doesn't seem unreasonable, in my opinion.

I agree. After the release, temporarily discount the ships so that the price of the three separate ships matches the price of the bundle. Cryptic can temporarily discount the ships as part of the promotion to celebrate the "re-release" (I'm not calling it a "reboot") of the Galaxy ships. After the promotion ends, Cryptic can do some kind of a scan during the next maintenance so that players who own all three individual ships will also have the bundle unlocked with the bridge.

This rewards the loyalty of players who have previously purchased the individual ships and may also encourage new players to purchase one of the temporarily discounted ships if they do not wish to purchase the entire bundle.

As with the concerns about the bridge officer seating layout, don't worry, the Fleet version will certainly have a more useful layout. Otherwise, why would people even bother purchasing the Fleet version if not for the marginal increase from the additional console, and that's only if the 10th console is tactical.
  • bruno960bruno960 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yep.. nice li'l touch up of the Galaxies..

Wait until the second deflector hits for the Science ships...

Ya'll are going to be just far to smug and pleased with your selves... Specially you Dreadnought drivers.. I better see you all proudly roaming in "CANON" All Good Things uniforms or I will think bad thoughts at you!

Galaxy re-fit is OP, please nerf.. Just kidding, enjoy the new rides...
  • mcitoshimcitoshi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I like the sound of that B'rel launching B'rel hangar, finnaly a proper KDF alternative to tribble breading
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • alsayyidalsayyid Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I don't really fly these type ships, but the fact that they're getting attention is fascinating. As far as I know Cryptic has not done much in terms of going back to older ships. I understand why such actions take the back burner with this type of game, but now a precedence has been set.

I don't want to get my hopes up speculating but maybe the Bortas can get a polish pass, or maybe there is room for a KDF dread.
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If we waited 3 years for a imbruement on the saucer separation of the Gal R, how much do we have to wait for a real imbruement? Probably the when we play STO in holodecks.

The way I see it, the Gal-R is fine as it is; a tank, pure and simple. I know people out there want it to blast holes in Borg Cubes, but if that's really what you want, the Fleet Gal-X is the ship for ya.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • areikou#8990 areikou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    alsayyid wrote: »
    I don't really fly these type ships, but the fact that they're getting attention is fascinating. As far as I know Cryptic has not done much in terms of going back to older ships. I understand why such actions take the back burner with this type of game, but now a precedence has been set.

I don't want to get my hopes up speculating but maybe the Bortas can get a polish pass, or maybe there is room for a KDF dread.

No other ship in the history of star trek, outside of the connie, is as iconic as the galaxy class. No other ship in all of STO has a 5778+ posting thread on people wanting it to be improved. No other ship can be monetized by doing absolutely nothing to it, but continuing to spout off as if they just did everyone a favor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
    is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
  • ruinsfateruinsfate Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Was terrible.

Still terrible.

#LOLHANGARBAY does not solve the problem.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Although a lot of people are disappointed, there are some important things to note with this latest press release.

2) Galaxy-X, one of the tactically oriented cruisers held back by multiple issues, received the most benefits from this revamp. Hangar bay to slot pets/spam, and a Fleet version greatly affect how players will fly the ship from now on. Saucer Sep on the Galaxy-X now offers additional new tactics and strategies. It's questionable if the Ens Universal seat is an improvement however.

3) Set bonus. While being purely defensive, the set bonus does benefit the Galaxy-R best, improving its already massive tanking ability by an additional +20 to Hull Plating and Armor Reinf. Turn rate doesn't really do much, but it helps to have it anyway.

Again, a complete ship revamp in this game has, as far as I know, never been seen before. It's a very important step in the right direction.

Hey stardestroyer001, long time no see. :)

I agree, some attention definitely seems to be drawn on the Galaxy issues. While I'm not highly impressed that there are no essential changes to the Galaxy-R, I'll take the enhancements we're given with open hands. :)
    I'm just happy they didn't ruin my Galaxy-R with a hangar.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • mcduffie369mcduffie369 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    What about those of us who purchased the Venture but not the galaxy retro in the past?
  • gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Another baffling decision made by Captain Geko and or the Cryptic team. Al, please explain to us how this makes the Gal-x Dread on par with the Scimi and the Jemmy Dread? Why wasn't it given a Commander Tac or at least a LTC Tac? Come on dude...this is a joke right?
    Slapping a hangar bay on it? Why aren't all the Galaxies getting hangar bays then? :confused:

This type of half-butted, lame attempts are why I don't play this game anymore. Get a clue Cryptic! Maybe some of the Neverwinter team can take over your jobs. They seem to have a little better idea of how to run a game. At this point in time STO is far far behind what Neverwinter is and has to offer players. Why is this?
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Without some change to the boff layout on the Galaxy-r or fleet version of that ship, color me underwhelmed by this news. Oh well, just keep flying the Sovereign.
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This. Is. Incredible.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    And the disappointment is realised....

Seriously, why only do half a job?
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Personally I don't like the changes made to the Gal-X.

The phaser lance is like a high density beam rifle..it was supposed to shoot through multiple target in a straight line.

Rather than make that lance be the key defining feature of the Gal-X they make it AOE to fit in with the current aoe-dps-vomiting meta and if that wasn't enough, they're breaking canon by giving this ship saucer separation.

The lance PHYSICALLY is located in the saucer and 'neck' of the battle section. The ship was not supposed to separate by design.

I would have considered an acceptable change if:

1- Phaser lance was improved to damage ships out to 12km range (diminishing damage with range) and the damage of the current lance was increased by having it use both WEP and AUX power to boost its damage.

2- I would have given the Gal-X the ability to use energy weapon doffs with the lance. Aka timer reduction, BO penetration bonus, etc. I would have allowed it to boost its lance with beam overload.

3- The ship itself only really needed better power bonuses. +15 to weapon +15 to shield would have brought it smack perfect into the dreadnaught range.

...but anyway what is done is done.

Now Cryptic, kindly re-work the other pre-f2p Cstore ships.

The Nebula tier 5 or at least the fleet version needs to have its boff slots upgraded to:

Cmdr Sci
    Lt Cmdr Sci
    Lt Cmdr Universal
    Lt Engineering

And trade its sensor analysis for cruiser commands. This makes it a perfectly balanced sci-cruiser hybrid.

The B'rel also needs just ONE change: Remove the shared timers on torpedo weapons for 8 seconds after decloak. The lag in the game and interface problems makes it impossible to fire all 4 forward torpedoes as their shared timer expires..sometimes the damn thing just gets stuck after firing the 2nd torpedo in the chain. The only way to make it work is to use a 3rd party macro and Im sure they're not happy people are using those.