Options

Star Trek Battles channel (Got Canon?)

Comments

• Options
    risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Hmmm...

Sounds interesting. I fly a Sovereign class heavy cruiser with pretty much basic equipment since I have not bothered with the rep system yet and I have not progressed very far into the the main story line. I think I am up to the "Ultimate Klingon" in the Klingon War story arc.

How exactly do I figure out my DPS? I only use the retro-phasers and quantum / transphasic torpedoes so my DPS should not be very high. Probably the most exotic equipment I have is from the "A Step Between Stars" mission.

Use a combat log parser such as ACT with the STO add-on, or CombatLogReader. Will get links up when I get home.

In the chat box within STO, use the following command "/CombatLog 1" (without the quotations).

Thats the basics for using a parser.
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hmmm...

Sounds interesting. I fly a Sovereign class heavy cruiser with pretty much basic equipment since I have not bothered with the rep system yet and I have not progressed very far into the the main story line. I think I am up to the "Ultimate Klingon" in the Klingon War story arc.

How exactly do I figure out my DPS? I only use the retro-phasers and quantum / transphasic torpedoes so my DPS should not be very high. Probably the most exotic equipment I have is from the "A Step Between Stars" mission.

I use one of the more popular log parsers but don't know the URL at the moment, it uses Java though. To run it you enable logging in the chat interface in STO and run the log parser and it'll show you DPS and everyone elses.

If you have to lower DPS, worst case, Just keep things at MK X or Mk XI or pull off a Phaser Relay or two. Trizeo may suggest that you make other adjustments.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    trizeo1trizeo1 Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well, we had our first full 10 man runs that I recall, CCE run, damn good fun too, would like to thank everyone who took part and congrats to our 1st place winner from the run whom I'm sure is all up on that giant shard trophy as we speak. XD

Hey Will,

I think last night brought a bit more fun into STB than normal.

It all started with a 8 man SB24 defence. Before we stared Captain Will invited to the team to his bridge (which was SICK BTW) where we did a whole briefing. He put me on the spot and did my best to run with it. After that we went to our respective ships and warped out. The whole experience was good from start to finish. Really felt the RP element of STB come out.

After than we did a full 10 team of CE which again started with all the captains meeting at Captain Will's ready room. Captain Will gave us the rundown on what roles each ships would play and again all of us warped out from start to finish was another great STB run.

I couldn't be more thankful to all who have made STB a good place to have fun and enjoy STO. It has made me look forward to logging in each day to see the people I've met and maybe even some pew pew.

My personal thanks once again for joining STB and may there be more AWESOMENESS to come!

P.S. Clare!.... where are those pics!:D
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    trizeo1 wrote: »
    Hey Will,

It all started with a 8 man SB24 defence. Before we stared Captain Will invited to the team to his bridge (which was SICK BTW) where we did a whole briefing. He put me on the spot and did my best to run with it. After that we went to our respective ships and warped out. The whole experience was good from start to finish. Really felt the RP element of STB come out.

After than we did a full 10 team of CE which again started with all the captains meeting at Captain Will's ready room. Captain Will gave us the rundown on what roles each ships would play and again all of us warped out from start to finish was another great STB run.

I couldn't be more thankful to all who have made STB a good place to have fun and enjoy STO. It has made me look forward to logging in each day to see the people I've met and maybe even some pew pew.

My personal thanks once again for joining STB and may there be more AWESOMENESS to come!

Wish I was there. :( I love the idea of doing a briefing first! Gets everyone on the same page from the beginning. Awesome!
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    sirokk wrote: »
    Ok, here's the build. Just for it to be a little different from a basic build, I'm using Retro Phasers and a Tricobalt torpedo in the back. I beileve that Tricobalts are Federation tech and canon. The Standard Shield is a very rare Mk XI type that has Disruptor and Plasma resistance and extra regeneration.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=muhcussstarkist_0

I don't usually use joke-names but I called it U.S.S. Starkist.

Any feedback is welcome. Remember that is not meant to be a PUG or DPS build. Goal is to use non-Reputation, Federation tech with Mk XI, Common quality but as survivable as possible.

Hey Sirokk,

I see no problem with this build at all, I commend you actually for not using any REP gear.

I currently use REP/Fleet gear and find myself still popping. If that is the challenge you want to issue yourself go for it as it looks good to me.:)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Hmmm...

Hello Jaguarkx,

To figure out your DPS you can use a parser as Risingstar mentioned.. I found shooting for 5k is just right.

I currently run MK X blues on most of my builds and some of them do have the gear from the recent FE mission. I've netted anywhere from 3 - 7K dps which I think is ok. I don't find myself blasting my way thru npcs and have to make 3 - 4 or more passes before they go boom!

The intention is to try and play the game how it played out on screen. So it sounds like you have a good set up there already.

If you want an invite leave your handle or contact me in game @trizeo1 - look forward to hearing from you!
    I use one of the more popular log parsers but don't know the URL at the moment, it uses Java though. To run it you enable logging in the chat interface in STO and run the log parser and it'll show you DPS and everyone elses.

If you have to lower DPS, worst case, Just keep things at MK X or Mk XI or pull off a Phaser Relay or two. Trizeo may suggest that you make other adjustments.

Other suggestions I've gotten were to remove tac consoles or lower weapon power take off a phaser on the fore and aft on a 4 fore 4 aft ship.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Hey Sirokk,

I see no problem with this build at all, I commend you actually for not using any REP gear.

I currently use REP/Fleet gear and find myself still popping. If that is the challenge you want to issue yourself go for it as it looks good to me.:)

Well... It's a cruiser, I usually use my Engineer and have only tested it in PvE stuff like Tau Dawa.

Not much of a test. :)

I'll probably end up with Mk XI Omega or Aegis and/or filling up on Neutronium. I wonder if there is less diminishing returns with 1x Ablative and 1x Monotanium or 2x Neutronium?

The experiment goes on!... :)
  • Options
    micadog5micadog5 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    where are those pics!:D

Well I'm not Clare, but I did take one pic.

It wasn't the best shot, and I tried to get a few more, but the machine started acting up sadly.

5qIeKy4.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Here is the link to the CombatLogReader. Its the easiest one to use.

(Warning: This is the link to the Download) http://tinyurl.com/onc6wd6

It is a Java based program that will read your Combat Log from STO.

Once installed, select Browse Directory to locate the combat log (You must have one already before you can find it).

Usually follows this pathing: C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\logs\GameClient\Combatlog.Log

To get your first Combat Log, type in "/CombatLog 1" in the chat box within the game itself just before or shortly after entering a fight. Combat must take place for a log to be recorded.

And to get an accurate reading for a full STF/Fleet Event, go to Advanced Settings (located on the bottom bar), select 'Overall Damage (From First Hit to Last)'.

Once your settings are good, and you have a Combat Log ready, just select Load Log and it'll bring it up. After that first time, you can use it to parse yourself and allies in near Realtime during a combat by selecting Auto Refresh and Read Log.

Hope that helps anyone who wants to use CombatLogReader.

Now, on to other things, here are a couple of screen shots I took last night.

Task Force 1 & 2 above Earth. Straight on shot. :cool:
    http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu303/phoenixstar2009/screenshot_2014-03-31-18-55-35_zpsa335be91.jpg

Odin, Midnights Sorrow, and Behemoth JHDC's just after running an MUI.
    http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu303/phoenixstar2009/screenshot_2014-03-30-20-13-33_zpscca5df1d.jpg

Took down the Dreadnought in seconds with all the pets we have available. :D
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Well... It's a cruiser, I usually use my Engineer and have only tested it in PvE stuff like Tau Dawa.

Not much of a test. :)

I'll probably end up with Mk XI Omega or Aegis and/or filling up on Neutronium. I wonder if there is less diminishing returns with 1x Ablative and 1x Monotanium or 2x Neutronium?

The experiment goes on!... :)

No matter the Armor console, it has diminishing returns when you apply more than 1 that has the same resistances. 2x Neutroniums will provide the best OVERALL resistance, but you're only getting about 1/2 the value of the 2nd console. However, you can run 1x Monotanium and then switch the other armor as needed and get full value of both.

Our Battles
  • Options
    thunderhawk101thunderhawk101 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hey Will,

Bah, you're overplaying my role, fact of the matter is we all had a part to play in last night. It's not any one person, it's the group. Now then, I'll be logging in momentarily so I'll see you in game.

Venture forth!
    erei1 wrote: »
    I enjoy this kind of thread. It's like farting in the air to fight the wind. It's poetic, childish and completely useless.
  • Options
    sevmragesevmrage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'd like to get in on that briefing thing next time.

We could use an STB Teamspeak server or something. It could really help. I'd play along with the RPing mid-battle, but it's difficult to fight and type at the same time. With my rig at the moment, I have to turn my HUD off so the framerate is high enough to play smoothly. And that means no chat.

EDIT: Adding something.

For Star Trek Battles - U.S.S. Crimson's Fury II

I'm saving up for the Oddy Star Cruiser, and was thinking of using it primarily for this. This is more or less the build I was planning on, perhaps with a few minor alterations, depending on the performance. I may swap out a Beam Array on the front for a Photon Torp, maybe something else, I'm not sure yet.

Sure, I'd love a real Oddy, but, **** gets expensive...
    Weyland-Yutani Joint Space Venture - Always open to new members!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My name is Rage, and I too support a revised Galaxy family.
    khayuung wrote: »
    Firstly, be proud! You're part of the few, the stubborn, the Federation Dreadnought Captains.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    No worries. I was rolling with the gang earlier in the night, no screenies of me. Andrew F. Hyde has all the fun...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Firstly, be proud! You're part of the few, the stubborn, the Federation Dreadnought Captains.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

We could use an STB Teamspeak server or something. It could really help. I'd play along with the RPing mid-battle, but it's difficult to fight and type at the same time. With my rig at the moment, I have to turn my HUD off so the framerate is high enough to play smoothly. And that means no chat.

I'm saving up for the Oddy Star Cruiser, and was thinking of using it primarily for this. This is more or less the build I was planning on, perhaps with a few minor alterations, depending on the performance. I may swap out a Beam Array on the front for a Photon Torp, maybe something else, I'm not sure yet.

We do have 2 TS3 Servers that we can use for STB when everyone is up to it. Steven has created a couple of channels/subchannels on his Fleet server, and I have my own set up the same way (or as near as possible). Trizeo, myself, or one of the others can give you the information In-game for either server.

As for the Odyssey, glad to see it getting more use. I do recommend the 3-pack instead of just the Fleet (can it really be called a Fleet Ship since the C-Store variants are better?).

As soon as I get this software figured out, I'll be recording our activities in STB. Will notify everyone here when the video is up for viewing.

Our Battles
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I know the 3-pack is a much better deal, but honestly, gathering 200k FC is much easier than getting... At 132 Dil per Zen...

660,000 Dil.

As much as I REALLY want a better Oddy, the Star Cruiser will have to do. The Star Cruiser is really just the freebie ship, wheras the 3-pack C store is all Fleet-Level.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    micadog5 wrote: »
    Well I'm not Clare, but I did take one pic.

It wasn't the best shot, and I tried to get a few more, but the machine started acting up sadly.

5qIeKy4.jpg

Whoa! that is an AWESOME looking shot!

Thanks for loading that up :D
  • Options
    edited April 2014

(Warning: This is the link to the Download) http://tinyurl.com/onc6wd6

It is a Java based program that will read your Combat Log from STO.

Once installed, select Browse Directory to locate the combat log (You must have one already before you can find it).

Usually follows this pathing: C:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\logs\GameClient\Combatlog.Log

To get your first Combat Log, type in "/CombatLog 1" in the chat box within the game itself just before or shortly after entering a fight. Combat must take place for a log to be recorded.

And to get an accurate reading for a full STF/Fleet Event, go to Advanced Settings (located on the bottom bar), select 'Overall Damage (From First Hit to Last)'.

Once your settings are good, and you have a Combat Log ready, just select Load Log and it'll bring it up. After that first time, you can use it to parse yourself and allies in near Realtime during a combat by selecting Auto Refresh and Read Log.

Hope that helps anyone who wants to use CombatLogReader.

Now, on to other things, here are a couple of screen shots I took last night.

Task Force 1 & 2 above Earth. Straight on shot. :cool:
    http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu303/phoenixstar2009/screenshot_2014-03-31-18-55-35_zpsa335be91.jpg

Odin, Midnights Sorrow, and Behemoth JHDC's just after running an MUI.
    http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu303/phoenixstar2009/screenshot_2014-03-30-20-13-33_zpscca5df1d.jpg

Took down the Dreadnought in seconds with all the pets we have available. :D

Hey RS,

I might have to DL this... been meaning to.

Here is my thing tho... I do NOT want to force people to adhere to the guidelines for STB. I have had all my ships parse and all of them are 3 - 7K and I think 5K is the sweet spot. As long as people don't blow up their targets instantly and it takes 3 - 4 passes to kill the target as well as work together as a team... I have no problems. My suggestions is MK X blues that has the ACC mod.

I have noticed some people NOT using race specific weapons so I ask that when you do STB, if you can help it, to do so. I understand that some may have not the means yet to set up STB style if so ask in channel if your looking for some weapons. I keep some MK X - MK XI weapons so if you need just ask, I know others do as well. I understand as well that some loadouts of ships might not be set up yet and when switching before a mission one may not notice. In fairness I have mentioned before that you can use the channel to try to get a group together and that might mean your in a team of high dps and just looking for a filler... again all good.

Nice pics as well RS, I can't wait until we get a pic of 20 or more STBians... if I'm not mistaken the highest number of users online is 25ish with a 100 users.

Regarding that recording software... there was a poster on the forums who has made some videos and they look pretty cool. It would be nice if we can do the same.. I have no skills when it comes to that but I think it could be used to recruit new STB Captains?.. just saying:D
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    sevmrage wrote: »

We have used TS before with a full team but some of the members do not have access or do not want to use TS which is fine. As RS mentioned we have 2 set up for STB and we can use it. I would prefer ALL the members of the team be on it and not just 2 of 5 as it would leave the others not on or who can't use it left out... but the option is there. As well there's nothing like having 5 people trying to say something.. hahaahaah!

If the Oddy floats your boat go for it, personally I don't see myself flying it... it's just that deflector makes it look like it has buck teeth.... sorry, please dont' take offense to that.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I have to admit I do, as you know, use the experimental proton cannon on the aft of my Fleet Nova. The only non-conventional weapon I do utilise though, as the remainder of the weapon slots are phasers and photon torpedoes - which is a large part of why I use the experimental cannon in the first place: the set (Dyson) bonus from using the cannon and the gravimetric photon torpedo, which boosts photon torpedoes, making them a VERY viable option.

REYAN!

My #1!... hahahahah...

Yeah man I wish you were there in those nights that I talk about but I know it's hard due to our time zone:( But ANYTIME I get to team up with you if time permits I do so:)

A question for you... when your playing around your time are there STB members from your side of the pond? I know Zacky is or at least I think he is in or around your time zone. Are you able to get some STB teams together on your time?

As for the weapons... as I mentioned before the MAIN goal of STB is to try and make it as ST as possible. I'm not going to get DEEP into canon or non canon I just want people to have fun within the guidelines. Do you have to explain to me why your using this over that... no. I think you all know by now what I'm trying to accomplish and for the most part I have had no problems this far. All I ask is to TRY and stick to the guidelines as in the end it's just guidelines and NOT rules for which I would kick anyone out of channel for breaking.

Seeing a fed ship firing AP just looks funny to me now... just saying:D
  • Options
    caasicamcaasicam Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Now see, on the topic of weapon types, I just RP'ed that my Dhelan was using some "experimental alien weaponry that may or may not have been installed backwards" when I had the Elachi cannon on it.

And so I'm very much liking the looseness of rules in this channel. :3
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    caasicam wrote: »
    Now see, on the topic of weapon types, I just RP'ed that my Dhelan was using some "experimental alien weaponry that may or may not have been installed backwards" when I had the Elachi cannon on it.

And so I'm very much liking the looseness of rules in this channel. :3

Hey hey...

Noice save!:rolleyes:

As long as the cannons are MK X! hahahah!:P
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    sevmrage wrote: »

Nice build, just lacking on hull heals but with at least 4 shield buffs you should do ok. Non-rep shield might be a challenge.

That's my 2EC anyways.
  • Options
    ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Question - can you join the channel but stay with your current fleet? I play super casual, I'm on when I'm on, but if I see people asking to run PvE in chat while I'm around and free I'd be more than game. I'm finding the PvE content to be intimidating, as in PuGs, people are almost expecting to hit the optionals, and as a new player, I'm just happy to finish the thing.

Second question - how frowned upon would a CStore Excalibur be with Mk XI blues? (Not mandatory, I'd love to fly the Galaxy or my Luna PvE without feeling guilty by by how low the performance is.)
  • Options
    caasicamcaasicam Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Question - can you join the channel but stay with your current fleet? I play super casual, I'm on when I'm on, but if I see people asking to run PvE in chat while I'm around and free I'd be more than game. I'm finding the PvE content to be intimidating, as in PuGs, people are almost expecting to hit the optionals, and as a new player, I'm just happy to finish the thing.

Second question - how frowned upon would a CStore Excalibur be with Mk XI blues? (Not mandatory, I'd love to fly the Galaxy or my Luna PvE without feeling guilty by by how low the performance is.)

I'm pretty sure that [all] most of us have stuck with our fleets, and I don't think there's any reason that you'd need to leave your's.

As for the Excalibur, I'd personally love to see that beaut of a ship flying around.

(Don't listen to me though I only occasionally drop in to have fun while grinding, mooching off other people having fun to have fun. ;P)
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Hello and thanks for the interest!

In answer to your question about joining and staying in your fleet... YES! You can join Star Trek Battles AKA STB and stay within your current fleet. Most if not all the STB Captains are currently from different fleets.

Upon joining feel free to ask if anyone is up for anything... I know I am usually. I'm proud to say that the activity in the channel has really gone up in the past month. Sometimes I be the one starting a group then all of a sudden that will start a string of groups.

What I've found within the groups formed, most if not all are very familiar with the PvE content and with lowering the DPS we are forced to work together as a team to finish with the optionals and sometimes finish in time... did Cure with 27 seconds left to spare! That as well I am proud to say that teamwork is VERY much apparent with the groups within STB.

In regards to your question about the Excel with MK XI blues... I think it should be fine. My thing is use phasers, race specific weapons, and if you don't find your blowing up the NPC's on your first pass then you should be fine. I did mention use lower than MK XII so your good.

Any question you have please feel free to ask, I've also found that the people who are in STB are very friendly and willing to help.

If you would like an invite contact me in game @trizeo1 or leave your handle here.

Thanks and I hope to hear from you.
  • Options
    tyriniussstyriniusss Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    edited April 2014

http://imgur.com/a/oqjdu

There you go! :)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Very Nice.

/10 char

Our Battles
  • Options
    ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Thanks, I'll be in touch in game!
  • Options
    solak42bwsolak42bw Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This seems to be pretty good idea that I might look into my self as well.
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Thanks for the information. I'm probably going to need to use this when the exchange rate goes back to normal and I get my Charal class Kumari. I want to use the Andorian phasers and I doubt Mk X whites will cut it, even for STB, but the only alternatives are purples. I know I'm going to have to play with power levels to get those balanced.