Install Arc

Free Shuttle & Lobi Ending Soon! [Now Ended]

Comments

• captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the free gifts.
  • suuperduudesuuperduude Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If you have to bribe.....I'm just saying.
    --
    Lion Heart of Hammer Squadron
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    IMHO, if Arc was worth its weight in salt, Cryptic/PWE wouldn't need to be making all of these offers/bribes to get people to d'load it.

Curious thought process there...since what they're doing is pretty much fundamental to human existence. From the baby not eating until daddy or mommy makes choo choo sounds - putting medicine in apple sauce - through free car mats when you buy a car - free phone when you sign up for celluar service - whether one shops with rebates or sales...etc, etc, etc.

It's basic marketing...hrmm...the negativity in general from so many posters is curious.

edit: Oh well, I'm going to bow out before I end up generating extra work for the mods...lalalala.
  • vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    robdmc wrote: »
    Free Kahn Uniform, Promotional box. Its all nice but it still leads to people installing and uninstalling or using a VM to run the game to get the item.

There is something you can so if you want people to keep using ARC. Since the game knows if you are logged in with ARC then why not make an ARC Passive trait.

Give it:
    +5 to Sif
    +5 to shields
    +5% Crit Severity
    +0.5% Crit Chance

Make it disappear if some one logs in without arc. The player base will use it on their own accord.

Don't give them stupid ideas please.....
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,166 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If you have to bribe.....I'm just saying.

They are not bribes. We we were always promised gifts along the way. These were promised when ARC was first launched 05/31/13
  • vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Free Shuttle & Lobi via Arc

All I needed to know....well just the "via Arc" bit really. No, no and no thank you.. No amount of bribery is going to get me to willfully download and install Arc. Got as much chance as me getting a lockbox ship :).
  • kurgan2001kurgan2001 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This is why I keep a version of ARC on my laptop for just such an occasion. I don't have to actually 'play' on it .. I just have to log in to get the goodies then switch to my main desktop to take full advantage :D
  • captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    eazzie wrote: »
    They are not bribes. We we were always promised gifts along the way. These were promised when ARC was first launched 05/31/13

Being told they were going to bribe you in advance doesn't stop it being a bribe. It just means they always knew it couldn't stand up on it's own.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Very well, it seems the net value of my undying soul has just increased by a shuttle and 20 Lobi. :eek::D
  • purvee1purvee1 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Has the ARC EULA been updated yet?
  • gethralkin1gethralkin1 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hey, I'm cool with bribes.
    :D

So, to clarify for all the ones asking me questions in my fleet:

1) We log to the character we want to have the loot if we don't have account shared bank.

2) We have an account shared bank and the first character we log get the Lobi and the packed ship, both of which we can transfer to other characters via account shared bank.

The question: What specifically happens when a player unpacks the ship. Is it transferable between characters via account shared after that?

I have several members who aren't going to open it unless they get an answer first and none of them are willing to experiment. And, yes, now they've got me so paranoid that I am asking before I even open mine up, lol.

Anyway, thanks for the awesome stuff; I'm really looking forward to 8.5!

@gethralkin1

P.S.: I don't care what anybody says, I have been an Arc logger since day beta and am loving it! (Pssst! We still need STO PADD Gateway link on Arc)
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    purvee1 wrote: »
    Has the ARC EULA been updated yet?

Nope, I doubt they will tbh.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    robdmc wrote: »
    Free Kahn Uniform, Promotional box. Its all nice but it still leads to people installing and uninstalling or using a VM to run the game to get the item.

There is something you can so if you want people to keep using ARC. Since the game knows if you are logged in with ARC then why not make an ARC Passive trait.

Give it:
    +5 to Sif
    +5 to shields
    +5% Crit Severity
    +0.5% Crit Chance

Make it disappear if some one logs in without arc. The player base will use it on their own accord.
    vocmcp wrote: »
    Don't give them stupid ideas please.....

I don't think it is a stupid idea. The player base can't seem to resist a power creep. The Arc icon on the buff tags would double as advertising. We get a new trait. And people still dont have to use arc but the community pressure would be huge.

For PWE it would be a huge win.

I think the fact that you think it is a stupid idea tells me it would work on you.
  • tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the Ferengi Shuttle and Lobi crystals.

With that said, I'm not defending PWE/Cryptic, it's a simple matter of fact: The servers don't power themselves, the employees aren't paid from some fantasy money tree, etc. Arc is a marketing portal to get people exposed to other PWE offerings ($$). Good for PWE. It's good business sense -- and potentially longer-term stability for the Star Trek Online game.

I do share this common concern: The MS Windows Arc client is a memory/CPU hog.

Developers/PWE management: Find a way to address that issue, please.
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    We're pleased to announce that we are giving players who have downloaded and play STO through Arc a FREE Ferengi Na'Far and 20 Lobi Crystals! Read more for details.

Click here to read more.

Oh. That's cute. I knew Cryptic was going dangle another carrot stick which is occurring often after season 8 launch.

My response is No. I play Star Trek Online like many others on linux. That's a automatic No. Also, I don't think many people take kindly to a Cryptic bride. A bride is a bribe.

This is not a attack on you. If you see the any video on YouTube especially Artemis Space Simulator, Top Top Upcoming Space Immortal maybe Simulator, Eve Dust or Rubicon Trailer. You'll see STO possibilities.

Cryptic is showing many signs of fill in the blank.

PS. You might delete this post out but I am trying realistic about the game about Arc and all the new announcements.
    edited February 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Nope, I doubt they will tbh.

I know. But I will not install a piece of software which has an EULA that basically says "we want the right to all your personal data."
  • jinuatajinuata Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Feedback: Please provide a mechanism for Mac players to gain access to these benefits. Either port Arc to Mac (unlikely), or treat anyone using the Mac client as if they were running Arc.
  • ronaldmackinnonronaldmackinnon Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It would have been nice to know that this would be recieved automatically and bound to my account BEFORE I logged into a character in the game. Now because I'm a f2p scrub babby my super awesome gift is bound to a character other than my main, and I have no way of transferring it since I can't buy access to an account bank using zen.

But what do they care, I'm just a F2P, right? Well right now I am, but I had considered putting some money into the game. Not so much now though, this just feels sloppy.

I know, I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth. And I really don't have any problem with the Arc program; it's just like Steam to me and I can see how well it'd work across the company's titles. I'd just like to be given the option to buy the features I want with the same in-game currency everyone else uses. If I'm buying zen on the market, someone's gotta buy it from them first, right?

At the very least, I'd like to be able to get around the account bank limitation by being allowed to mail account-locked items to myself. The mail system already supports mailing yourself just by using your @username and mailing all of your characters, couldn't it be coded to allow account-bound items to be mailed the same way without being mailed to other players? After all the account bank isn't just for transferring stuff between characters, it's a joint storage area; the mail service is just for sending things.

Words words words.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    purvee1 wrote: »
    I know. But I will not install a piece of software which has an EULA that basically says "we want the right to all your personal data."

I know, neither will I. That is why I have it on my server, in a VM away from any of my sensitive data. ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You have to do much better than a Shuttle to bribe me into getting Arc, Cryptic. :D
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hey if we are listing ideas for a better ARC adoption rate, add one where you can disable party poppers and Disco balls through ARC. I know 10 ppl that would jump at that.(Not me, I personally like the Disco balls)

Thanks for the free stuff!!
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You have to do much better than a Shuttle to bribe me into getting Arc, Cryptic. :D

Would you use arc if there was a passive trait you get only when you use arc?
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There's nothing to fear everyone. Let ARC into your life. Assimilate. Become one with ARC, and let it take you to places beyond your wildest dreams...

It's...BLISSSSSS...

One of us, one of us...
  • ronaldmackinnonronaldmackinnon Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ... what if in addition to an account bank, there was an Arc bank / item transfer service, that was only available through the Arc program? Maybe more people would use it then? :confused:
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I can be bought... keep the gifts coming! (I hate ARC btw but throw stuff at me and I'll use it.)
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It would have been nice to know that this would be recieved automatically and bound to my account BEFORE I logged into a character in the game. Now because I'm a f2p scrub babby my super awesome gift is bound to a character other than my main, and I have no way of transferring it since I can't buy access to an account bank using zen.

You mean like you would have known if you had actually read the little short blog about this first you mean?

Seriously, people can play a game with lots of text, but not read a simple blog entry for themselves?

Reading is UP! Buff reading!
  • resumodresumod Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Lets see if "bribing" works both ways.

I decided not to spend a single cent on STO as long as it is not clear if I will be forced to use Arc somewhen.
    If I will be forced - good bye. I will never ever install a Steam like software on any of my PCs.
    If I will be able to choose until end of time. Shut up and take my money.
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,882 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Can anyone please post HOW MANY lobbis are we talking about? Big difference from "1" to "100"....thanks :)
    DUwNP.gif

edited February 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    I know, neither will I. That is why I have it on my server, in a VM away from any of my sensitive data. ;)

See, that sounds like the 10Ft pole I'm looking for.

However as a Loom smashing Luddite I got no chance of doing that.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Umm, you can email them to yourself...
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
This discussion has been closed.