test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #47

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited February 2014 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Systems Designer Phil "Gorngonzolla" Zeleski reveals more details about the new Dyson Science Destroyers in this entry of the Season 8 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Nice. Any Hirogen Ground Set Blog ? :P
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • cehuscehus Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thanks, looks nice. Do these have a Turn rate?
    Cehus.png
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    "The C-store ships we mentioned in yesterday?s Anniversary Rewards blog come with neither the warp core nor the secondary deflector that are mentioned above. If you are interested in the warp core or the secondary deflector, especially to use them in the two different 4-piece set bonuses available (first with the Anniversary event and the second from the C-store bundles next month), make sure to complete the 4-year anniversary reputation project for each character."

What kind of gameplay do you have here in STO?

Oh, we have both kinds; grind and pay
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The stats are missing the Turn Rate.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Looking forward to the event.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Looks sweet, and the new bridge. :)
    signwidrona.png
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Metaphasic Shielding: Every Borg STFer's dream
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Imma try to get all 3.. we will see if I end up just grinding for one.... The romulan one looks great the KDF not bad, the FED though.. ewwwww.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Want to know the turn rate! Hehe
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    what's the turn rate and inertia in both science and tactical modes?
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Still not sold on the looks of them. They just look too much like toddlers toys, the ones with nice big parts so there's no choking hazards.
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Dyson Science Destroyer: Solanae Class

Weren't Solanae basically the aliens that performed biological experiments on various species? Aren't they... you know... bad guys? Servants of the Iconians? It's kind of weird to name a ship class after them.

Also, do those ships feature any additional hull material, or is it just the gray one?
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    "The C-store ships we mentioned in yesterday?s Anniversary Rewards blog come with neither the warp core nor the secondary deflector that are mentioned above. If you are interested in the warp core or the secondary deflector, especially to use them in the two different 4-piece set bonuses available (first with the Anniversary event and the second from the C-store bundles next month), make sure to complete the 4-year anniversary reputation project for each character."

What kind of gameplay do you have here in STO?

Oh, we have both kinds; grind and pay

My thoughts exactly...

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I didn't want to edit or do a double post so soon after I posted, but I have to admit, this did burst a theory I had - that these things would make the perfect Torpedo Boat, namely because switching from Sci to Tac disables the Sci systems.
  • beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    Dyson Science Destroyer: Solanae Class

Weren't Solanae basically the aliens that performed biological experiments on various species? Aren't they... you know... bad guys? Servants of the Iconians? It's kind of weird to name a ship class after them.

Also, do those ships feature any additional hull material, or is it just the gray one?

no i thought the aliens never had a name solanae is the area the dyson sphere is in i believe.

• oldschooldorkoldschooldork Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The ship is, well, TRIBBLE and not worth the grind (nice try though), but the three piece space set and the ev suits don't look too bad from what the previous dev blogs said. Guess we'll see when we see the stats on them.
    AGpDi8m.gif
    I don't care what the header says, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, an "ARC user".
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    beerxhyper wrote: »
    no i thought the aliens never had a name solanae is the area the dyson sphere is in i believe.

One of the consoles in "Sphere of Influence" referes to the Obelisk being built by the "servitor Race: Solanea" aka the guys who built the dyson sphere.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • bryliggbryligg Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I really wish the tactical mode was the other way around where the 60 second cooldown activated when you switched to tactical mode. It seems like you'd get a lot more utility from switching to science mode for a few seconds to squeeze off a few sci abilities before going back to your default of tactical.

Also, any chance of getting to use default bridges for this in place of the special one? I hate one-room interiors.

Also not thrilled we're stuck with the proton cannons in that slot.

But overall, looks like a cool ship.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So I should make sure to complete the event project on all my characters, hm ? That's 20 times 15..... :eek:

Why do I feel a little odd about this ? Having so many characters is desirable for Cryptic, I would have never bought all those c-store ships if I had only 1 or 2. Why am I being punished for supporting the game ? :o
  • mamif3mamif3 Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Looked great until you started disabling stuff in TAC mode. Should keep sensor analysis. And secondary deflector.

Kdf and rom one look good.

Fed one is meh. It needs more base hull hp to make up for lack of cloak. I can't find a reason to fly it over a vesta.
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'll wait for the C-store version.
  • gorngonzollagorngonzolla Member Posts: 172 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2014
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    what's the turn rate and inertia in both science and tactical modes?

These ships have a turn rate of 12, impulse speed of 0.16 and inertia of 50. In Tactical Mode they have a turn rate of 14 and a inertia of 60. Impulse speed also increases in Tactical Mode, but the amount it increases by is a variable based on engine power level.

Regards,
    Phil "Gorngonzolla" Zeleski
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Question:

Will these come with faction specific materials? And if not, will the C-Store ones come with faction specific materials?

Also, I think that the special bridge looking like this is very very wrong. I mean, even if the factions used newly discovered sphere technology in creation of these ships, they'd still implement the basic engineering and design decisions into them. Sorry, but that bridge makes no sense at all.

Otherwise, the ship stats look nice and the ships themselves gimicky so I guess they'll turn out to be fun. I still don't like the Fed. design though, it looks all kinds of weird to me. The other 2 are very solid designs, especially if they come with faction specific material.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    please tell me u well allow us to change the necells on the fed version i don't like flat necells lol

• sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Why would the Federation, KDF and Romulan design their own ships, and then give them an alien bridge?

Surely the bridge should be similar to faction specific bridges.

I am all for a cool bridge, but these are not alien ships....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• overlapooverlapo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What ship materials are available? Solanae only or are the regular ship faction materials compatible with these ships? Also while the bridge is nice, can we use standard faction bridges with these?
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    qjunior wrote: »
    So I should make sure to complete the event project on all my characters, hm ? That's 20 times 15..... :eek:

Why do I feel a little odd about this ? Having so many characters is desirable for Cryptic, I would have never bought all those c-store ships if I had only 1 or 2. Why am I being punished for supporting the game ? :o

Yes, why indeed... <.<

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    qjunior wrote: »

You're being punished for not supporting the game enough.

We all are.
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mamif3 wrote: »
    Looked great until you started disabling stuff in TAC mode. Should keep sensor analysis. And secondary deflector.

Kdf and rom one look good.

Fed one is meh. It needs more base hull hp to make up for lack of cloak. I can't find a reason to fly it over a vesta.
    Fed one trades cloak and hull for the ability to mount DHCs. This is the only non-pay sci ship that can do so.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'll say it again:

Making us grind for 9 console anniversary ships is outrageous.

I believe I'm decided now, I'll pass. Sure, the Romulan one is nice and KDF doesn't have much to offer science wise, so I guess I'll wait for the C-Store versions. And forgive the language: 'TRIBBLE both your 4-piece bonuses'.

All in all, a very bad way of celebrating the 4th anniversary... :(
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!