What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #45

Comments

• zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    People seem confused ...

The "problem" is not so much that the event ship is of a lower standard than the C-Store one, that's normal and expected (though the wishful thinkers mike prefer a high top spec ship for the "Anniversary")

It's that they not only have an Anniversary Ship (supposedly one of a kind and exclusive) AND they added C-Store version, it's that even the C-Store version is ALSO sub standard and you actually have to get BOTH of them to make it into the top version ... THAT is the problem people are having ... ... ... Words fail me ... ...

My problem overall is they are so damn ugly roflmao.
  • chrisbrown12009chrisbrown12009 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My problem overall is they are so damn ugly roflmao.

No, the grind/per toon is the problem. Then paying for the better ship is the problem. And also being forced to do both if you want everything is the problem.

thats 3 problems. Easy fix devs...... make the ship cost 400 points so we dont have to grind. keep everything else as is.
  • hawke89305092hawke89305092 Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    And if the C-Store version is incomplete...

What happens to them when the grind ships are no longer available? You can still buy the ship, but it's impossible to acquire all its unique features? That would be like denying people access to the Fleet Ambassador/Kamarag if they didn't get the free ship during the grind (an exaggeration, but it makes my point)...

Bah, this whole anniversary ship presentation has been strange, unusual, and deeply confusing. I'm suddenly very glad I don't care much about ships that aren't canon. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kyuzos7kyuzos7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    from what i read on here the dev's want to turn this into like a winter event.

if you miss the ships now you'll be able to get them next year?

but they didn't say that but they did say they're going to use the currency for next year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • odinfishodinfish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I may have overlooked something, but is the new space gear meant only for the Dyson ships or can any ship equip them?
  • madblooddollmadblooddoll Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    lame :mad:
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ultimately, I will be buying the bundle on one of my factions and then grinding out the free ships on my science and tactical toons. I will also be getting an ev suit on all my toons. Depending on the perks in the q event boxes I might do it on more characters just for the dilithium and skill point boosts, etc. I'm excited for all the new mechanics being introduced with these ships and the ground gear.

I'm curious about the ev suits and the jet pack thing on them and where you can use it. Should be interesting...
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    And if the C-Store version is incomplete...

What happens to them when the grind ships are no longer available? You can still buy the ship, but it's impossible to acquire all its unique features? That would be like denying people access to the Fleet Ambassador/Kamarag if they didn't get the free ship during the grind (an exaggeration, but it makes my point)...

Bah, this whole anniversary ship presentation has been strange, unusual, and deeply confusing. I'm suddenly very glad I don't care much about ships that aren't canon. :P

I will bet that the unique secondary deflector from the anniversary event will probably find its way into the lobi store or something after the event so those folks who didn't get it can buy it later... but who knows.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • robobigtimerobobigtime Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What do you guys want them to do? Every MMO has a grind and every MMO has limited events. Don't want to grind, then spend money and get lobi, then spend money and get z or do the grind and mine the D and trade for the Z and buy the c-store ship.

I really don't see the issue. It's a FTP game that should cost $19 a month, save the $19 for 12 months (that's at least 22,000 z) and then spend it on the anniversary. If you're a LTS save your 500 z a month for 12 months and spend 6000 z on the anniversary.

Again so many options. If you don't want the ship don't get the ship.
  • zeuslegion1zeuslegion1 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Updated...

■ There will be a Featured Episode starring Admiral Tuvok (Tim Russ, Star Trek: Voyager), "A Step Between Stars". It will reward you with:

► 400 "Qmendations" (1st playthrough only)
    ► One of 3 pieces (Shield, Impulse Engine or Deflector) of the 4-piece Solanae Hybrid Technologies Space Set.
    ► One of 3 variants of the Solanae Environmental Suit. Collecting all 3 (since you'll need to play it 3x anyways to get all 3 pieces of the Solanae Hybrid Technologies Space Set), will allow you to trade them into the Lobi Store (at a cost of 50 Lobi) for one of two Upgraded versions (black or white). Rinse and repeat to get both Upgraded versions.

■ Even low-level captains can get the full set-bonuses of the Solanae Hybrid Technologies Space Set regardless of what Mark their items are.

■ There will be an event reputation project that will reward you with a 9-console Dyson Science Destroyer (Costing 1000 "Qmendations"). The Dyson Science Destroyer comes with a Dual Heavy Proton Cannon that is fused in place and cannot be swapped.

■ The Dyson Science Destroyer will be pre-equipped with the 4th piece of the Solanae Hybrid Technologies Space Set (Warp/Singularity Core) as well as a Secondary Deflector which is part of another, currently unknown, 4-piece set (see below). Romulan Captains will also receive a Matter/Anti-Matter Warp Core with the Romulan variant of their ship in addition to the pre-equipped Singularity Core.

■ There will be a Q-themed daily mission wherein you can earn 40 Qmendations per day. You can also get a Festive Party Horn, Party Box, or Mystery Item. If you don't want to grind the daily mission for these ships, you can spend 5 Lobi for an Anniversary Qmendation Package containing between 10 and 20 Qmendations each (roughly a max of 300 Lobi for 0 grind).

■ In late February, Cryptic will be releasing a Dyson Science Destroyer 3-pack for each faction (i.e. 9 variants total) on the C/Z-Store. Each of these factional variants will have a 10th console slot, a Special Console to put in it, and upgraded stats.

■ Equipping the Special Consoles from the C/Z-store versions -- which will be detailed in a future update -- plus the Secondary Deflector from the Anniversary ships onto the C/Z-Store versions will provide another 4-piece set-bonus completely separate from the Solanae Hybrid Technologies Space Set. Cost of these packs is currently unknown.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    From what I am reading, these ships with the full set items and all their perks are going to be ridiculously powerful and unique.

So, have these ships been tested?
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

edited January 2014
    odinfish wrote: »
    I may have overlooked something, but is the new space gear meant only for the Dyson ships or can any ship equip them?

most of it yes idk about the secondary deflector though... since the other science ships dont have it yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Sounds like way to much grind (welcome back D'Angelo), way to much work for an anniversary reward ships, the best way to get anniversary rewards and console perks it through feature episodes, not reputation grinds its not Trek and not fun....I listened to Geko's priority one interview, and losing Stahl has derailed the vision, the ship switch system is great, but to have to grind for anniversary rewards seems delusional....and someone has forgotten this is supposed to be fun?

The new FED revamp on the Klingon content has been retouched, but does not hold up to the FED tutorial quality. The FED tutorial is some of the finest content we have. Than you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm... genuinely confused by the decision to make the grind ships 9 console, with C-Store versions coming soon after. It seems like a similar amount of effort to grind the free ships as it would be to grind dilithium for the C-Store pack... especially across multiple toons.

I mean, this flies in the face of the precedent established by the winter/summer ships - there, while you have to work for a ship, at least it's top quality. Why bother putting in the effort if you'll just end up buying the C-Store version anyway to get the best version?

I just don't understand... :confused:

It's simple: cryptic is trying to turn a symbiotic relationship into a parasitic one. They want us to go through the trouble of grinding for the original set pieces AND buy the incomplete c-store variants to take full advantage of this content. The question which has supported this game over the last two years "grind or money?" has been replaced with "grind AND money!" (or grind twice as much) with this haphazard anniversary scheme. It makes no sense because it's simply not appropriate for this game.

Cryptic, just dump the qmendation grind. The fact that a 10 console c-store bundle will exist clearly demonstrates that these new ships AREN'T going to cause problems for any aspect of the game if handed out en mass to the community (for if there were balance issues a superior version offered on the general marketplace would be apocalyptic) nor can you fall back on the secondary deflectors since those will be added to ALL science ships.

Compare that to the tangible friction you're creating during the anniversary "celebration." It's hard to imagine any worse way you guys could be undermining yourselves (besides moving farther in this very direction.) There are so many other upstanding aspects to this event, and even the blogs associated with it, but as it is they don't count for much given that their focal point is a fundamental betrayal of principle. If nothing else you're highlighting the worse possible interpretation of your design philosophy and business practices.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • robobigtimerobobigtime Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I guess they should just give the ship away and make the consoles the thing you grind for. That would probably make everyone happy.

Free ships for everyone, but you'll have to grind for the anniversary set pieces for each character no c-store/Lobi option for items. Just the grind. Oh and buy the way after 15 days you're out of luck if you didn't log on every day to grind.
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    all this stuff about grinding being such a problem, Its 15 days worth of a very short daily event, Big deal? A lot of us players log daily for a short duration for DOFF assignments anyways, a short mini mission is not much more to ask us to do in my opinion

I'll be doing it once for one character anyways, Even though i have 5 characters, Why would i want 5 of them anyways ? my characters already have more ships than i actually use on a regular basis

Stop whinging about it so much , its getting to be pathetic and nobody is forcing you to grind anything anyways, your doing it of your own accord for whatever reward they are making available at the time
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
    edited January 2014
    adverbero wrote: »
    Stop whinging about it so much , its getting to be pathetic and nobody is forcing you to grind anything anyways, your doing it of your own accord for whatever reward they are making available at the time

And no one is forcing me to play STO in general. But why shouldn't I be able to point out when the game is being made arbitrarily worse? Sure, once we get down to business grinding for this event will not be that painful but given how we had a better alternative last year, and for the Sphere's of Influence to boot, I fail to see how this backlash is somehow our problem.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • afreebyafreeby Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If you have to work for it, it isn't free.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,430 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jaturnley wrote: »
    I believe what you are describing is called "EVERY MMO EVER". Kill 5 rats, collect 10 doodads, go to points a, b, and c and click on the guy, getting ambushed on the way. Get you carrot, level up, repeat and get a nicer carrot. Once you have the nicest carrot, a new expansion comes out with even nicer carrots, but if you want them, you get to pay them for the "opportunity" to pay them. Then you pay your subscription fee for even longer to get those nicer carrots. Rinse and repeat. It's a grind the whole way, often playing the same missions over and over so you can get the gear you want rather than the random TRIBBLE you keep getting.

The only difference here is that PWE learned how to monetize the process after WOW destroyed the subscription model (technically, Turbine did it, but PWE has taken it to the next level). Instead of the monthly fee, they give you the chance to get a slightly better carrot for free in exchange for your time. Then they give you the chance to get an even nicer carrot for money, or a random chance to get a REALLY nice carrot by gambling.

There's no difference. If you don't like grinding (which is really just another way of saying "playing MMOs,") you should probably not play MMOs.
    Well, there is one other difference.

In WoW, if you want to proceed past a certain point in the game, you're going to need to run through certain dungeons. They're required to progress the story. And you can't solo them - teaming is absolutely required, forced upon you whether you like it or not. And given the way their grind works, if you don't have the best gear available, you're not going to find a team - nobody's going to help you run that last mission against the Lich King if you're wearing last season's gear. It's like dealing with fashionistas.

In STO, on the other hand, you can run all the way to endgame with the free ships and whatever random TRIBBLE drops during battles as you level. You can even get PUGs for some of the story missions (if you want them) without anyone demanding to know your "gear score". Nobody needs any of this stuff. I'm probably going to grind out the anniversary ship for at least one or two toons, just because it looks neat, but I don't need them, and I certainly don't "need" the coming C-store bundle. So I'll miss out on some "unique combination". So?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited January 2014
    afreeby wrote: »
    If you have to work for it, it isn't free.

Precisely. These ships are no more free than C-store ships bought using exchanged dilithium are. The difference is ONLY what "currencies" are used to convert effort into content.

jonsills wrote: »
    So I'll miss out on some "unique combination". So?

So why lock the least of the combinations behind a grind gate? Without the dyson ship and gear you're not going to be held back from any part of this game but by that very same token restricting the content to only those who have put the added effort in doesn't serve a constructive purpose (ie. it doesn't serve to balance the game or create effort-return relationships. It's simply a grind.)
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Well, there is one other difference.

In WoW, if you want to proceed past a certain point in the game, you're going to need to run through certain dungeons. They're required to progress the story. And you can't solo them - teaming is absolutely required, forced upon you whether you like it or not. And given the way their grind works, if you don't have the best gear available, you're not going to find a team - nobody's going to help you run that last mission against the Lich King if you're wearing last season's gear. It's like dealing with fashionistas.

In STO, on the other hand, you can run all the way to endgame with the free ships and whatever random TRIBBLE drops during battles as you level. You can even get PUGs for some of the story missions (if you want them) without anyone demanding to know your "gear score". Nobody needs any of this stuff. I'm probably going to grind out the anniversary ship for at least one or two toons, just because it looks neat, but I don't need them, and I certainly don't "need" the coming C-store bundle. So I'll miss out on some "unique combination". So?

Pretty much this, I'll be getting the romulan one because i like the texture and look of the ship, I really don;t need any of its mechanics, for the reasons you pointed out above

Infact, i think every single C-store or grind ship i have obtained was bought because it looked good to me , Avenger for instance, 5 fore weapons? don't care, but i love the Ablative armour animations that activate in combat
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You know, I reckon if Cryptic just scrapped the whole C-Store variants idea and put a bundle or bundles on the C-Store = 1 with just the SKINS of the new ships and and maybe 1 with SKINS plus the Consoles and/or Secondary Deflector, they would sell 10 times, 50 times more than they will now ... They'd make a killing ...
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • sanatobasanatoba Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Now I know why Cryptic is giving away C store items for free before the anniversary event. You're trying to appease the community and lessen the impact of your choice about using the grind for this years event for a lesser quality ship.

But it isn't working....just read all the posts against it...

You should have just given the lesser quality ship to us for completing the feature episode, left the grind for the warp cores and then offed the upgraded ships in the C store. Better way of doing it all around...

But the event is already programmed and ready to go..we will have to deal with it and either do the event or not. Cryptic please take notes for next year and do thinks differently, ok?

Edit: Ok, other than my complaints about how we get them, I must say I really do like the new ships, Cryptic. I like the looks of them, the ideas behind them and the new equipment sets. Good job designing them Cryptic!

And thank you for the free C store items.
    Been Playing STO as much as I can for 11+ Years!

"Never Surrender! Never give up Hope!"
    "Prosperity and Success in everything you do."
    "To Boldly go.........well punch it already!"
    "To Be or Not To Be"....Alas, the Foundry is Not To Be. We Shall miss Thee, dear Friend!
    "Does anyone remember when we used to be explorers?"- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Thank You, Cryptic......even when I don't agree with all your decisions....Thank You for Star Trek Online!
  • alan171717alan171717 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think as another little gesture of goodwill we should be able to exchange extra Qmendations for Risian pearls, or Q pics in case we just need a few more to complete our projects still. I for one would buy up keys like crazy to finish off my Risian Cruiser at last
    "I am a travelor of both time and space to be where I have been"
    edited January 2014
    alan171717 wrote: »
    I think as another little gesture of goodwill we should be able to exchange extra Qmendations for Risian pearls, or Q pics in case we just need a few more to complete our projects still. I for one would buy up keys like crazy to finish off my Risian Cruiser at last

but the lobi box gives more qmendations than winter event gave pictures...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • alan171717alan171717 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kyuzos7 wrote: »
    but the lobi box gives more qmendations than winter event gave pictures...

Thats why it is a gesture of goodwill, as to prevent us from taking up bricks or something (I for one live near their building....)
    "I am a travelor of both time and space to be where I have been"
    edited January 2014
    alan171717 wrote: »
    Thats why it is a gesture of goodwill, as to prevent us from taking up bricks or something (I for one live near their building....)

sounds like some fightin words.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blgoldenforceblgoldenforce Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As far as these anniversary ships go, only my Romulan characters will be getting them. My Klingons are gunning for the Bortasqu' and my Feds already have the Odyssey, the Vesta and the Ambassador.
  • shomrimshomrim Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is a game. I like to play this game in my spare time so grinding is just part of the game for me. No problems there.

My 2 cents worth....

The ships look great and the EV suits look great as well. Can't wait to play the missions.

Questions....

Do the "gears" on the face shields of the EV suits move or are they just for looks?

Can the Federation ships nacelles be chosen up or down?

Comments....

Now as for the 3-ship packs coming next month, I haven't seen it confirmed as to the price per pack as of yet so I can't get excited and storm the halls of Cryptic. If it is going to cost us $150 for the three sets then I can even see our Ferengi friends saying "Are you kidding me?" I don't mind grinding or even paying for great items and quality ships but $150 is pushing it pretty far.

Just my 2 cents worth
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There are 2 different set bonuses, and the C-store versions are not required for the first, which comes from the FE and is detailed in the blog. I can't imagine you read the whole blog that fast :P

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I am going to have to agree with...

Originally Posted by genhauk View Post
    Ok ... I think I'm gonna bow out on this one as it calls for not just a grind but a C-store bundle purchase to get the set bonus.

Why ask us to waste two weeks in grinding something that comes out better on C-store and will be an account unlock. Whatever the grind ship offers is not worth the time in mind-numbing grind. So long traditional Anniversary celebration. :confused:

p.s. and I read the blog twice and saw nothing to support a grind....