test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #45

Comments

• rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You know, I just realized something.

"we?ll be releasing a 3-pack C-Store bundle of each factional Dyson Science Destroyer"

Its three ships, not nine.

That line does NOT mean 3 ships of each faction, it means the one ship of each faction in a 3-pack.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014

"we?ll be releasing a 3-pack C-Store bundle of each factional Dyson Science Destroyer"

That line does NOT mean 3 ships of each faction, it means the one ship of each faction in a 3-pack.

Here you go:
    Yes, so 9 ships total, 3 for each faction.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wow. Even with just 3 characters this is a lot of grind. This is why I only have 3 characters.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited January 2014

It says a 3-pack bundle of each DSD. There are three DSD's (probably the same stats but for the different factions). So that's three for each faction. Hence nine.

The C-Store ones are supposedly going to have a set bonus of their own. Bearing in mind that doing a three-pack with one from each faction in wouldn't work (due to claiming restrictions) it's more than likely to be three packs of three ships, each with one piece of the set - like the Scimitar, Oddy, Bortas, Vesta.

Oh, and Brandon confirmed it's nine ships. Totally forgot about that.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    We talked about this possibility, but EV Suit overlays are handled much differently from standard Armors, and it proved prohibitive to try and work around / fix in time for this release.

So, in order to display the visuals of these EV suits, you'll have to be wearing one of them.

Aww! :( Sad space pandas. Could a future update give us these as costumes?
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    It says a 3-pack bundle of each DSD. There are three DSD's (probably the same stats but for the different factions). So that's three for each faction. Hence nine.

The C-Store ones are supposedly going to have a set bonus of their own. Bearing in mind that doing a three-pack with one from each faction in wouldn't work (due to claiming restrictions) it's more than likely to be three packs of three ships, each with one piece of the set - like the Scimitar, Oddy, Bortas, Vesta.

Oh, and Brandon confirmed it's nine ships. Totally forgot about that.

Ive been racking my brain on builds literally all night, and rereading the blog itself reinforced my original belief.

There arent three viable configurations for this ship that would be unique enough to justify a three set for it in the first place.

There are over 30 pages to this thread, naturally i havent read every single one.

But still, the builder in me wants to say brandon has to be wrong. What would be the point?

It would be like releasing Oddy/Scim/Bortas all over again, only each ship is actually idential and serves no further purpose than that (not to mention the romulan variants are further diluted by the fact all roms are fed/kdf aligned anyway)

The whole concept of an actual nine does not add up to me whatsoever. O_o
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,903 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    they could at least make the anniversary set item account bound
    sig.jpg
    edited January 2014
    There arent three viable configurations for this ship that would be unique enough to justify a three set for it in the first place.

[...]

At 2500 Zen per ship, that's a grand total of 15,000 Zen in three bundles, or 22,500 Zen individually, for all the ships.

As a non-builder, I wouldn't know. But i'm prepared to assume that you're right on that. If so, then this is even more of a cash-grab than we may have assumed - as you said, the ships are going to be like releasing the Oddy/Scim/Bortas all over again, but the ships are identical (save for the unique console they each come with). Regardless, Cryptic will still want you to fork out 2500 Zen a piece.

Ostensibly, this is about money. Clearly, Cryptic feels we haven't dropped enough on C-Store releases in 2013.

As for Brandon's word, i'm willing to believe him. He's usually straight up about things. Geko's the one to watch. His word is about as reliable as a plumber's estimate.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,903 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ive been racking my brain on builds literally all night, and rereading the blog itself reinforced my original belief.

There are over 30 pages to this thread, naturally i havent read every single one.

But still, the builder in me wants to say brandon has to be wrong. What would be the point?

It would be like releasing Oddy/Scim/Bortas all over again, only each ship is actually idential and serves no further purpose than that (not to mention the romulan variants are further diluted by the fact all roms are fed/kdf aligned anyway)

sure there is. look at the console layout for the Odyssey
    sig.jpg
  • otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    havam wrote: »
    I'm sorry guys, but 3x 3-packs is a bit much. How about a discount bundle, if you have the all three grind version you can buy the 9-pack at a heavy discount.

I agree completely. 3x3 packs is not needed.

I support the idea of a discount bundle, either as mentioned above, or by other means.

$150 is too much in this case. I think something like $60-75 would be much more reasonable as a discount price...
  • caldannachcaldannach Member Posts: 485 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    pyrogxmk3 wrote: »
    ... So we really ARE expected to grind for level 40 free ships inferior to Fleet and C-Store? Well there goes that enthusiasm.

Weaksauce core as well. You'd need an utterly insane set bonus for it to be worth dumping your fleet core for.

This is probably the only thing i really agree with on this entire thread, that the core is really lame.

Some of you people posting how upset you are need to get a grip. Its a F2P game, and they are giving you a free Mk XII space set, a free ship, and a free Mk XII EV suit. All for free.

Whatever you 'think' you 'have' to grind or not grind, or buy or not buy is absurd. No one is forcing you to do any of it. Seriously, take a step back and don't believe all the infant rage hype.

However, i do have 2 serious questions for the devs:

1) If i have a Romulan and a Fed character, and i wanted to buy the c-store ship pack, would i have to buy one 3 pack for the fed with the fed ships and a seperate 3 pack transaction for the romulan for the romulan 3 pack? Or, do you buy the 3 pack once in the c-store and you can just claim whichever matches your character faction for the rest of your account characters? Because i have to say if you have to buy a 3 pack for each character of a different faction, then that IS a huge abuse of the Cstore.

2) Branflakes, how do you cope with all this childlike entitlement and hate every time you make an announcement?

Oh and as for the dude with 32 characters that commented earlier: Are you serious, I struggle with 2 and a half characters at the moment, there isn't enough content. For future reference to all, you can't make more than 1 or 2 characters and then complain about grind. That's just ridiculous hypocrit stuff right there.
    " Experience is a hard mistress, she gives the tests first, and the lessons after... "
  • wjeremy16wjeremy16 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'd feel a lot better about this if they sold a three pack with a cross faction layout. i.e the science versions in a three pack, the tactical in a three pack and the engi versions in a three pack.

I want these ships, but with the Grind and buy plan, as well as the general attitude toward the anniversary by the Devs, forget it.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,430 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You know, I think I have a solution to the whole issue of the multiple 3-packs in the C-Store.

If you don't want to lay out the cash (and it is an awful lot, especially if you want all three packs, every single variety of ship), then don't buy them. That way, you get to feel virtuous because you didn't get suckered in, and as a bonus you're actually sending a message that Cryptic's overstepped on this one - in a way they'll actually pay attention to. (Yes, Bran's reading all these - he has to, it's his job - but do you honestly believe his bosses care?)

Oh, and if you actually have that much money, then by not buying all the ships, you'll still have that much money, so again, bonus!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,536 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    That's why. Because you pay money for the other one. This one just costs you time and effort.

In addition, how many playthroughs of the FE are we looking at here? I mean, if it's one suit/set item per playthrough then that's a grand total of six playthroughs to get all the rewards.

Per character. Although not me. What does this do for those who have a few alts of each faction? I think the grinds are getting way out of hand with STO. People do have jobs and daily lives.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    You know, I think I have a solution to the whole issue of the multiple 3-packs in the C-Store.

If you don't want to lay out the cash (and it is an awful lot, especially if you want all three packs, every single variety of ship), then don't buy them. That way, you get to feel virtuous because you didn't get suckered in, and as a bonus you're actually sending a message that Cryptic's overstepped on this one - in a way they'll actually pay attention to. (Yes, Bran's reading all these - he has to, it's his job - but do you honestly believe his bosses care?)

Oh, and if you actually have that much money, then by not buying all the ships, you'll still have that much money, so again, bonus!

Seconded.
    /10char
    2iBFtmg.png
  • valen006valen006 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The Bridges! The one and only true bridge for a Defiant is the classic DS9. I have a problem as a captain with a helmsman facing away from the view screen driving a starship. We still don't have an updated bridge for the Excelsior Class:cool:

Next, Dyson Sphere tech should be able to use on all faction vessels.

What is the true story about "A Step Between The Stars?" We still have alot of Delta quadrant to to explore as well.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Saddens me to see what should be a fun event be turned into a blatant cash grab.
    Wow, impressed at the sheer audacity.
    Its attitudes like this that is the reason we can't have good games anymore.
    Game development used to be a creative field with the only monetary goal being for the developers to make a living off something they loved.

Then Big Buisness stepped in and its all about maximising profits with minimal investment.
    They have corrupted the entire gaming industry and pretty much killed off innovation and creative thinking, so its all about tried and true, profit maximising, methods.
    So yes, How dare they?

Quoted for truth, the whole lot - and there'd be more where that came from if multi-quote let me go with more than three posts.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • ocp001ocp001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wow, Cryptic greed would make the Ferengi proud. Honestly, there are no words in any written language that could accurately convey my disgust for anyone at PWE who thought this big F-U to the player base was a good idea.

Why not charge us Zen or dilithium to collect the mission rewards? 1 zen per press of the space bar? You can make a boost pack to discount the cost and put it in the C-Store. Then tell us how you listened and did us a great big favor.

Better yet Cryptic, stop trying to do anything nice for players, all you do is **** their wallets, and act surprised when people say wtf are you doing.
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,225 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Geez... some people really cant be happy.

Here is F2P, where you actually dont need to pay real money
    to get most rewards (well - only the veteran ones need it, but really...).
    Where every 6 months or less you get free gifts.
    And only thing needed is grind missions and replays, so they can
    say "We did create a good game - look how many players are playing
    it for many hours..."

And still there are unhappy players ? :confused:

I just tried Mechwarrior Online and... you cant even get next unit
    without real cash (also need cash for any equipment)! :mad:

And here we got chance for another ship (and one for every character on account)
    for free - just some time and work....

Well - I am Happy, and for now i'm focusing on STO, other online games
    are going to background.

Thank you very much! :)
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    they could at least make the anniversary set item account bound

This is definitely needed. As it currently stands, only your existing characters that do the anniversary grind will be able to take advantage of that 4-piece set bonus with the C-store ships. Any future characters will be locked out of that perk.
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    variant37 wrote: »
    This is definitely needed. As it currently stands, only your existing characters that do the anniversary grind will be able to take advantage of that 4-piece set bonus with the C-store ships. Any future characters will be locked out of that perk.

This is the one truly valid point here. If the core and secondary deflector really are locked to the anniversary ship and do not come with the CStore version, future characters will be at a disadvantage.

I'd agree that the grind ships should be account unlocks after running it once per faction; everyone wins - cryptic gets to make money on the grind, and we don't have to do it more than 3 times.
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,225 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    variant37 wrote: »

There will be other anniversaries (sorry English is my 3rd lang.), other unlocks and other seasons (they did make the normal Obelisk Carrier accesible to all, did they not?), and still other, even better ships...

So do not worry, look for news ... and hope :D
  • zeuslegion1zeuslegion1 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So I was wondering how players could possibly be enraged further and I realized one more thing that could be done is to have each factional C-Store Dyson Science Destroyer 3-pack contain only ONE of the 2nd, unknown 4-piece set... so you'd need to not only get ALL three 3-packs (however much they end up costing) but, since you need that Secondary Deflector for the 4-piece bonus, you'd also need to do all of the Anniversary Event grindage.

And then I'd make the 2nd 4-piece set over-powered and full of awesomesauce vfx so you just HAVE to have it.

And then I'd introduce Entropy to the game...

Deliciously evil. :)
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have a question are the science destroyer warp cores going to also be included on the C-store variants?
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jaturnley wrote: »
    This is the one truly valid point here. If the core and secondary deflector really are locked to the anniversary ship and do not come with the CStore version, future characters will be at a disadvantage.

I'd agree that the grind ships should be account unlocks after running it once per faction; everyone wins - cryptic gets to make money on the grind, and we don't have to do it more than 3 times.

While this is true, I find the very execution of the event ridiculous.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
    edited January 2014
    So I was wondering how players could possibly be enraged further and I realized one more thing that could be done is to have each factional C-Store Dyson Science Destroyer 3-pack contain only ONE of the 2nd, unknown 4-piece set... so you'd need to not only get ALL three 3-packs (however much they end up costing) but, since you need that Secondary Deflector for the 4-piece bonus, you'd also need to do all of the Anniversary Event grindage.

And then I'd make the 2nd 4-piece set over-powered and full of awesomesauce vfx so you just HAVE to have it.

And then I'd introduce Entropy to the game...

Deliciously evil. :)

Don't go giving them ideas. Dear god man.
    edited January 2014
    ...and then sell an Anti-Entropy Oscillator Console in the Lobi Store... and introduce Hyper-Entropic Energy Weapons two weeks later. lol
  • arcturus13531arcturus13531 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I like a lot of the looks and ideas put into the Ships, Sets, and Suits (though as usual the Federation ship is a bit hmmm not all that attractive compared to the gorgeous Klingon and Romulan deigns. After seeing the aft of the Federation Ship, it's hard to imagine playing that ship and seeing that odd flat duckbill area that kind of reminds me of the Excelsior's aft area all the time lol. It would be nice if it were sleeker like the design language of the Romulan and KDF versions (Maybe it could be time to do skin/body variants again for the c store versions? ;) )

Also, between these Science "Destroyers" and the Escorts in game; I feel that Cruiser type ships, Flight Deck, and even Dreadnoughts are getting left behind (and I am not bringing the Avenger into this as it really seems it should have been an Escort, its small, fast, maneuverable, and is armed to the teeth). It very much feels that so much is geared toward pumping up already deadly escorts and science vessels. All the items released lately including universal consoles make escorts beyond deadly, while if equipped on a cruiser most items just seem to beef it up a little. While I know cruisers, Flight deck types, and Dreadnoughts are not technically meant to be as tactically able as an escort, it would seem that science ships are even able to act almost like escorts. Hopefully eventually the larger ships will get something that will help even things out and allow for them to be more effective, especially in terms of combat and not just defense. It is especially disappointing to see the Cruiser commands not be available on all Cruiser or large vessels, they remind me of watered down versions of the Romulan Singularity powers, which all ships get to use all 5, yet Cruisers and the like cannot use all cruiser command, leaving a lot of cruisers feeling very lacking, especially of commands that would be the most useful for balance. It very much seems that most things favor Escorts and Science Vessels (or at least amp them up far more than a cruiser, FD cruiser, or Dreadnought. Hopefully the Cruiser etc will get some love soon as well. (More love than the kind of meh non-shared across the board cruiser commands.

That said, I have two questions?

First, Regarding the Dyson Science Destroyers
    This one is kind of two questions. Can the sets that we get from the missions (Shields, Def, etc.) be used on other ships or are they only able to be put on these vessels? The same question goes for what I am assuming is a whole additional and different 4 piece set from the later C-store versions, will those 4 piece sets be available to use on other ships? Or are both 4 piece sets only for use with the Dyson Science Destroyers.

Second, regarding the 3 pack C store bundle to be released later
    By three pack does that mean 1 Fed, 1 Rom, and 1 KDF ship in a 3 pack bundle? Or does that mean that we will get 3 variants of a given ship, for example the Federation Dyson Science Destroyer. Will the three pack be like the ones we used to get which give us one ship with 3 skin variation (I miss that a lot, for example, most older C store ships such as the Prometheus, Andorian Escorts, etc, had 3 or more skins to choose from, whereas now for example, sadly, it seems that most ships don?t have 3+ skin options, like the Avenger (which only has a second skin available if you get a fleet version).

Hopefully that all made sense ;)
    edited January 2014
    Also, between these Science ?Destroyers? and the Escorts in game; I feel that Cruiser type ships, Flight Deck, and even Dreadnoughts are getting left behind (and I am not bringing the Avenger into this as it really seems it should have been an Escort, its small, fast, maneuverable, and is armed to the teeth). It very much feels that so much is geared toward pumping up already deadly escorts and science vessels.

Hopefully that all mad sense ;)

That is mad sense. What the hell have you been smoking? Cruisers got a boost in the form of Cruiser Commands not more than six months ago. Most Escorts don't need any boosts (since they're supposed to be about DPS), but Raiders now get the Flanking buff.

Science hasn't had anything new for it until now. And it's about damn time.
    edited January 2014
    Second, regarding the 3 pack C store bundle to be released later
    By three pack does that mean 1 Fed, 1 Rom, and 1 KDF ship in a 3 pack bundle? Or does that mean that we will get 3 variants of a given ship, for example the Federation Dyson Science Destroyer.

From what we've heard thus far, each faction will get a pack of 3 variants, so no, it means 3 Fed, 3 KDF, or 3 ROM, not cross-factional. We won't know more until late next month.