test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #45

Comments

• thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If you want something, you have to work for it. Even in games. Don't like that? Oh well.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I.. actually like the ships and sets. Especially the Romulan one. I want that for Ril'el.

Judging by this thread I seem to be in the minority. :(

It's not so much the ships as it is the featured episode + grind to get the free one which has a console you need for the set you would use on the C-store ones.

If it were just the featured episode ... I believe complaints would be less.

Oh ... and toss in we got another grind waiting after this anniversary ... so says D'A in a recent interview! :O
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I don't understand why people are whining about the fact that Cryptic is selling ships. Cryptic is trying to make money. Companies make money, big shocker right? :rolleyes: You don't have to buy it if you don't want to. You don't have to use the set if you don't want to.
    People aren't whining about that.
  • pyrogxmk3pyrogxmk3 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I.. actually like the ships and sets. Especially the Romulan one. I want that for Ril'el.

Not really. But that's why folks are pissed. A lot of us think those are very nice ships. But as nice as it looks, you leave that Miranda behind when you reach level 10, and same with these and 50.... .... .... Even if you have to be 50 to equip them.
  • tikonovtikonov Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    lol, 15 day grind for the 9 console variant afterall

with the 10 slot being a 3 pack, wtf indeed @ greed
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2014
    mutualcore wrote: »
    Actually rereading it makes it sound like the secondary deflector from the FE ships might be unique also and creates a 4 set bonus with the c-store (3)consoles.
    hmm yeah, confusing...

Yeah, see I'm confused about the sets because it sounds almost like there are two sets to collect... I really just want clarification on what I can only get during the event and what I can replay to get later so I don't grind myself out of having fun (which usually happens with these events).

I too like the ship designs, especially the Romulan one.

Just wish the blog was a little clearer on what sets come with what and how/when you can obtain all the parts etc. It got a little overloaded with too many "do this and collect this, but remember to collect this, and then go get this, then drop $ for this, and pick this up with Lobi, and did we mention to get this, and then there's this, but don't forget to get the big thing here, and maybe you can get this".
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    For all you people complaining...

Shut up.

Its fricken ships man, and enough of your whining about instant gratification. You all sound like petulant babies, honestly.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I don't understand why people are whining about the fact that Cryptic is selling ships. Cryptic is trying to make money. Companies make money, big shocker right? :rolleyes: You don't have to buy it if you don't want to.
    Another who clearly didn't read a lot of the posts. :rolleyes: I really don't care there is 3-pack coming, more just over the fact we have to grind for base version, and pay for the zen version to get the set bonus etc.

No other ship has been done this way it is inconsistent, and for anyone who doesn't want to grind look forward to not having the set bonus or paying out the ears for a base type and then the 3-packs.
    edited January 2014
    Another who clearly didn't read a lot of the posts. :rolleyes: I really don't care there is 3-pack coming, more just over the fact we have to grind for base version, and pay for the zen version to get the set bonus etc.

No other ship has been done this way it is inconsistent, and for anyone who doesn't want to grind look forward to not having the set bonus or paying out the ears for a base type and then the 3-packs.

Too bad. Hurr durr, log in and claim instant ship, yeah no.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    edited January 2014

Another who didn't read my edit.:rolleyes:
  • dauntless89dauntless89 Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I was so happy when reading this new blog....until I realized that my real time efforts in order to get this new ship would be for only 1 warp core, which I may not even use comparing it to my elite version and 1 secondary deflector, which may not serve me well in my build.

I read this entire thread from post 1 to here and I witness a huge negativity of the community towards the way you guys (from cryptic) want to implement this anniversary event. Perhaps you can try to see some reason in all the things that were discussed and said here and do something.

I am sure you have people told to read all these comments here but you will find out only ~20% were positive towards this grind and only for their own reasons while the majority stands for their request and desire for a sudden change in the way these Qmendations would be earned.

I know I may be the last guy on this planet to tell you ideas and expect you to listen to them but I had something in mind, after re-reading your new blog:
    - We will be required to complete the new episode ~3 times to get the EV suits and all 3 set items.
    - We will do the first mission in order to get the 400 free Qmendations.

Considering the above requirements of re-playing this mission, why dont you simply combine these facts and add additional Qmendations (50-100) per re-play? Even then it will be going to be a huge grind for those with a lot of toons but nevertheless - the time necessary to finish the New Project will be diminished and all of us will decide when to re-play the mission and how much time per day in order to get the new ship.

Perhaps there is still some hope for changes, unless you want to maintain the negativity of some people towards this great upcoming event.

Do not ignore us and good day. :)
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    STO's anniversary events have "never" been about grinding.
    Plus throwing in another event grind less than a month over the last one is pretty overkill

Don't forget - next month D'Angelo will announce a new, CE-esque grindy event. So that'll tide us over for a bit, and then it's the Summer Event grind again!
    For all you people complaining...

Shut up.

Its fricken ships man, and enough of your whining about instant gratification. You all sound like petulant babies, honestly.

Way to miss the point. It's not about selling ships, or freebies, or instant gratification.

If you can't see the issue here with mind-numbing grinds that are then rendered pointless due to something superior being released less than a month down the road, but being released in a way that flat out requires you to grind to get the lower end stuff and the fork out cash for the top end gear, then you need your eyes tested.

And it's all in "celebration" of the game's 4th Anniversary. So why, as an LTS player and a big fan of the game, do I feel more disenchanted with STO than ever before?

In previous years, the Anniversary event was a thank you to the players. Anyone who thinks that this is some sort of gift is clearly a TRIBBLE.

I've seen bad decisions. This is just...worse.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    oh gooooood so much grind i am going to die, i am seeing a steady increase in things you buy wil real money like lobi and zen things which means more money for you, how about you put some of that money into giving us some content and i am not talking about queues or the season 8 but missions stories.

Let me sum that up for you:

A story mission like a Featured Episode (which we get about 1 of every 3 months) takes more time, money and resources to make than a queued mission. They have stated as much.

People play a FE once, maybe 2 or three times depending on the rewards, and then stop, because replaying them is slow and tedious (NOBODY plays "For Bajor" for fun. NOBODY). Queued missions are quick, fun to play repetitively, and can get you better loot, so people are willing to play them over and over again.

So, let me put this to you, because this is what you are asking for: if they put the rewards that you get at the end of Crystalline Catastrophe at the end of For Bajor and made you play it over and over again, how long before you would just stop playing? Not long, even though from a story perspective For Bajor is one of the better FE missions. Even the more action-based ones like Operation Gamma or Night of the Comet take a lot longer to complete than a run through The Cure - when played the first time they are cool, but when you have to run them over and over, they are tedious. Just ask anyone who plays TOR about the tedium of being forced to sit through cutscenes constantly when you replay a mission for the 10th time.

End result, what you are asking for sounds good, but it wouldn't hold the players in the game.
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Being transparent about a decision made specifically to coerce players to not only grind content they don't want to grind, but also to spend money on top of it to get optimal results doesn't in any way make the decision any less terrible.

Bottom line Bran: this anniversary event is not going to be perceived as a thank you to the fans. It's going to be perceived as the most blatant grab for their wallets that Cryptic and PWE have done to date.

I disagree... Offering incentives/rewards is not coercion (use of threats and/or force). I'm quite happy knowing up front. I can now make an informed decision to grind or not and those people that can't log in everyday know they have a choice to just get the c-store versions. There is going to be a lot going on between ground gear and space sets and ships... just need to get organized with my 18 toons.

Anything new as far as equipment goes in any game usually cost you something in the form of time and/or money. I'm glad to have the facts up front and I understand the game needs to make money as well.

So shut up and take my money Cryptic!
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
    edited January 2014
    Release a ship in fleet store - people complain fleets are too hard
    Release a ship in C store - people complain Zen is OP
    Release a ship in Lobi store - people complain lockboxes are OP
    Release a ship in event rep - people complain rep effort is OP

Where exactly is Cryptic supposed to make the money to provide this free game?

Do tell.

X is OP, plz nerf.
    Gold.jpg
    edited January 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    Way to miss the point. It's not about selling ships, or freebies, or instant gratification.

If you can't see the issue here with mind-numbing grinds that are then rendered pointless due to something superior being released less than a month down the road, but being released in a way that flat out requires you to grind to get the lower end stuff and the fork out cash for the top end gear, then you need your eyes tested.

And it's all in "celebration" of the game's 4th Anniversary. So why, as an LTS player and a big fan of the game, do I feel more disenchanted with STO than ever before?

In previous years, the Anniversary event was a thank you to the players. Anyone who thinks that this is some sort of gift is clearly a TRIBBLE.

I've seen bad decisions. This is just...worse.
    You don't have to do the grind if you hate it so much, just participate in other fun non-grind things. Simple as that.
    edited January 2014

Because in your flawed way of thinking you believe LTS is an entitlement to get everything instantly for free without ever actually doing anything besides having paid a couple hundred bucks a couple years ago?

Which youve made back in perks twice over by now already.
    Gold.jpg
  • rmxiiirmxiii Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As I understand how things are, he Warp Core / Singularity Core that only comes with the Anniversary Ships are part of to sets You cna complete one set by repeating the A Step Between Stars and getting that you dont have at the end. The other set is completed by the special consoles from the later C-Store versions.

I have no problem there is a C-Store version you have to buy down the road, but the fact we also have to grind for a 9 console version to even complete set of those as well is problematic. The Dyson Carrier we got and previous anniversary ships were just received after 1 mission and no grinding for a 9 console version. We could get 10 console version though C-Store (Odyessy/Bortaqsu), Fleet Starbase (Ambassader/Kamarag) or though Lobi Store (Dyson Carrier).

The big problem is that we have to grind for the 9 console version along with having to buy the 10 console if we want one fully outfitted.

If we just got the 9 console ship after 1 mission that would be fine. If we got a 10 console version after grinding 1000 items that would be fine as that is how it was for the 10 console Breen and Risa ships.
    edited January 2014
    The Obelisk and both set items just being handed to us for finishing the mission twice was a huge blunder on Cryptics part, tbh. They never should have done that because now people expect them to always give out free stuff for a 10-15 minute mission.

The other featured episode items are subpar to other gear obtainable with the exception of the Dominion set which has a lobi upgrade.

Big mistake with the Sphere of Influence rewards, more than anything else.
    Gold.jpg
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ...your whining about instant gratification. You all sound like petulant babies, honestly.

Where? I see a most people saying basically "Grind or buy, that works. Grind AND buy, lolwut?" The instant-gratification posts seem more the exception to the rule.
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Agree as well....

Who's idea was to add the GRINDING factor? To top it its not ACCOUNT BOUND? As per the blog each character has to do it to gain it. Correct me if I'm wrong but the C-store version is so much better if account wide bound. WHY waste the time grinding a useless basic piece that is not even account bound?

Sorry not complaining just stating a curiosity. You guys should have just put on the C-store rather than to create the heat from players who expected a FREE SHIP.

I'm happy to have both. I wont buy a bundle of ships for all three factions that would be $150. Instead I can just buy for one faction and use the free ships for the other two factions. It is still free ships you just have to play the game to get them.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
    edited January 2014
    In conclusion...

I will be doing the anni event for the ships on at least three chars (all three of my scis, and possibly a tac), as well as saving up Zen to buy the three pack in a month.

I have no problem with this. Dont see one damn good reason why any of you would either.

From what I am reading, these ships with the full set items and all their perks are going to be ridiculously powerful and unique. My surmise is the C-store bundled versions are going to become THE science ships of the next year.

And you want these to be easy/free/quick to obtain on a large scale?

Seriously?
    Gold.jpg
  • aveimperatoraveimperator Member Posts: 319 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I don't think I've ever been as disappointed in Cryptic as I am with this blog. Ever.
  • cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Another who didn't read my edit.:rolleyes:
    LOl nice back step ;). Yep becuase what i replied to wasn't your edit.

Too bad. Hurr durr, log in and claim instant ship, yeah no.
    Nice attitude, maybe you should work for the NSA customer service hotline ;)

But enough feeding the trolls, I said my 2 cents and I will close with this. I don't care for instant gratification, I just don't think they should double monetize the ships with both grind or $ for base, and c-store 3 pack. to get the full set. That's just not customer friendly nor I feel a healthy road for this game to go down.

What's next lvl increase with new refit fleet admiral level ships(same current ships) , that you can upgrade three once for grind or. money, the last level for c-store zen only, then fleet progression + fleet store purchase for last teir upgrade.
  • kyuzos7kyuzos7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    guess ill have to wait for tomorrow but.

is the Proton DHC swappable on the Science Destroyers?

and is the Proton DHC effected by the Protonic Arsenal set? (i hope so) :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If you can't see the issue here with mind-numbing grinds that are then rendered pointless due to something superior being released less than a month down the road, but being released in a way that flat out requires you to grind to get the lower end stuff and the fork out cash for the top end gear, then you need your eyes tested..
    I believe what you are describing is called "EVERY MMO EVER". Kill 5 rats, collect 10 doodads, go to points a, b, and c and click on the guy, getting ambushed on the way. Get you carrot, level up, repeat and get a nicer carrot. Once you have the nicest carrot, a new expansion comes out with even nicer carrots, but if you want them, you get to pay them for the "opportunity" to pay them. Then you pay your subscription fee for even longer to get those nicer carrots. Rinse and repeat. It's a grind the whole way, often playing the same missions over and over so you can get the gear you want rather than the random TRIBBLE you keep getting.

The only difference here is that PWE learned how to monetize the process after WOW destroyed the subscription model (technically, Turbine did it, but PWE has taken it to the next level). Instead of the monthly fee, they give you the chance to get a slightly better carrot for free in exchange for your time. Then they give you the chance to get an even nicer carrot for money, or a random chance to get a REALLY nice carrot by gambling.

There's no difference. If you don't like grinding (which is really just another way of saying "playing MMOs,") you should probably not play MMOs.
    edited January 2014
    LOl nice back step ;). Yep becuase what i replied to wasn't your edit.

Nice attitude, maybe you should work for the NSA customer service hotline ;)

But enough feeding the trolls, I said my 2 cents and I will close with this. I don't care for instant gratification, I just don't think they should double monetize the ships with both grind or $ for base, and c-store 3 pack. to get the full set. That's just not customer friendly nor I feel a healthy road for this game to go down.

What's next lvl increase with new refit fleet admiral level ships(same current ships) , that you can upgrade three once for grind or. money, the last level for c-store zen only, then fleet progression + fleet store purchase for last teir upgrade.

Grind is the exact opposite of monetization, wtf

Dude, youre not just going to get handed a ship of this magnitude.
    Gold.jpg
  • aceseacese Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Release a ship in fleet store - people complain fleets are too hard
    Release a ship in C store - people complain Zen is OP
    Release a ship in Lobi store - people complain lockboxes are OP
    Release a ship in event rep - people complain rep effort is OP

Do tell.

X is OP, plz nerf.

They are not supposed to try and make money on an "thank you" otherwise it isn't one, period.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited January 2014

The C-Store. Be it sales of ships, sales of keys or whatever. That's where the money should be made. Not to mention LTS, Gold Subs, Legacy and Starter Packs.

I don't have a problem with stuff going into the C-Store. What I have a problem with is this;

- Pre-S8, a lot of noise was made about how the Rep system was too much of a grind and how it was difficult for players with Alts to get through the Reps. As a result, the Devs went out of their way to add the sponsorship tokens to all the Reps, and the Dyson rep was much less of a grind than previous Reps. In the time between S8 and now, all the work that was done to relieve the excessive grinding has vanished, to the point that we're now expected to spend 15 days grinding an obnoxious mini-game for something that was ostensibly and traditionally supposed to be a gift to players to thank them for playing STO for another year.

- If that wasn't bad enough, this seems to have been specifically designed as a money-grab. No-one wants to spend 15 days chasing mini-Qs around SFA, competing with others doing the very same. And Cryptic knows this - hence why this grind has a Lobi Package option attached. "Don't like the grind? You can just pay for it with Lobi, you know."

- On top of that, we now know that there are nine new ships hitting the C-Store soon. All of them being various ten-console versions of the Anniversary ship. So on the face of it, it's completely unneccessary to grind for this version when a better one will be out later. BUT WAIT! A unique item is locked on the grinded version, which means that if you want the full set - and let's be honest, some people do - you have to grind your TRIBBLE off for your Anniversary "gift" (at least three times if you have a character from each faction) and then pay Cryptic upwards of $150 to get the new, better versions.

Now i'll reiterate - I don't mind stuff going into the C-Store. What I object to is the pointless grind that's been attached here to the "free" version. There are various underhanded tactics being played out here to get you to part with more and more money.

And none of it is neccessary.
    jaturnley wrote: »
    I believe what you are describing is called "EVERY MMO EVER". Kill 5 rats, collect 10 doodads, go to points a, b, and c and click on the guy, getting ambushed on the way. Get you carrot, level up, repeat and get a nicer carrot. Once you have the nicest carrot, a new expansion comes out with even nicer carrots, but if you want them, you get to pay them for the "opportunity" to pay them. Then you pay your subscription fee for even longer to get those nicer carrots. Rinse and repeat. It's a grind the whole way, often playing the same missions over and over so you can get the gear you want rather than the random TRIBBLE you keep getting.

The only difference here is that PWE learned how to monetize the process after WOW destroyed the subscription model (technically, Turbine did it, but PWE has taken it to the next level). Instead of the monthly fee, they give you the chance to get a slightly better carrot for free in exchange for your time. Then they give you the chance to get an even nicer carrot for money, or a random chance to get a REALLY nice carrot by gambling.

There's no difference. If you don't like grinding (which is really just another way of saying "playing MMOs,") you should probably not play MMOs.

When I give someone a gift, I generally don't make them collect five doodads before i'll give it to them.

Grind is the name of the game for MMOs. I know this. But why make it a grind for something that is supposed to be a thank you?
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
    edited January 2014
    What I did find cool was those EV Suits.