test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Re: 4-yr Ann. Event (was: Enjoy another rep for anniversary ships *post #30 & #643*)

Comments

• rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I really don't see the big deal why everyone is grieving bout the event, it's just 5 mins long each day so big deal.

Read a few posts critical of the event.

5 minutes tops is false.

Certainly it can be done in 5 minutes, possibly a little less.

Get mostly runners, don't be on an even half full instance, avoid the (thankfully) small number of griefers who seem to get their kicks trying to obscure the miniQ in the present box shuffle, also avoid the NPCs that can walk straight into a present shuffle and just stand there.

Your time estimate is possible.

However, its not 'tops'.

That would be a lot nearer ten minutes, and while on one toon thats not necessarily a problem, over multiple toons it adds up fast.

As a point of comparison, in previous anniversary player appreciation events, it would take someone 90 minutes to collect the ship on 6 toons. 90 minutes not time gatred and playable at the players convenience at any time during the event.

It now takes northwards of nine hours and the majority of that is time gated, meaning that anyone only able to play at the weekend has no chance of getting the ship for free.

I'm glad you're getting through this in a mere five minutes, but not everyone has as much reason to feel 'appreciated' as you.
  • twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I really don't see the big deal why everyone is grieving bout the event, it's just 5 mins long each day so big deal.

1: Not the point - the issue people have is that previous anniversaries people only had to run the episode, now they have to come back and do the tasks every day for 2 weeks.

2: While it may be 5 minutes for you, it might be the best part of an hour for others - some people have more than 1 character.
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The FE episode was good, the grind on the ground no COOL.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • wolverine595959wolverine595959 Member Posts: 726
    edited February 2014
    It was Meh because I hate Tuvok with a passion, if I complete the mission once on a toon it should lock the power tray the way I like it for return missions. Cryptic needs to put a choice in so you can choose the default mode of the ship, I hate the fact everytime I switch instances it defaults to sci configuration. A year of storing lobi I had enough to get the ship on all 8 of my toons.
    Hey I Used to be Captain Data, well I guess I still am in game but the account link really screwed everything up :rolleyes:
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    3 chars... 1 fed, 1 KDF, 1 rom. I'm just not gonna use it on most chars....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    is the 4th sto Aniversary event a let down

A little bit of one.

The real letdown is the realization that this overhaul of the Anniversary event is a clear view of STO's future. More timegating, more "collect objects for X time for rewards," more grunt-work for no more than usual reward.

Oh- and more brown-nosers telling everyone who doesn't love "Thank you sir, may I have another?" that they're entitled little prats for not enjoying the work detail PWE lovingly assigns them. :rolleyes:
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Got one for my Romulan (too pretty a ship NOT to have, and I had a load of Lobi spread around my older characters not geting used anyway), grinding for Fed (new character designed to use it). My KDF characters don't really fit with their version of the Science Destroyer, so I'm leaving that one alone.
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I will not give in and enable Cryptics TERRIBAD movement to force people to pay for things in this manner.

NONE of my toons will grind for this ship. NONE. I will not "play" a single Q mission, period. I have played the featured mission and it seems rather well made. And, yet, Cryptic missed the boat on so many other aspects of this release that it's criminal.
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    What do you think you're being "forced" to buy ? You don't need anything other than time for the anniversary ship, and the slightly better C-store variety with the full FE ship special console loadout isn't a requirement (maybe if you're one of those min-maxing PVPers who spend a fortune to get the OP console/doff/whatever de jour :)).
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's quite obvious with the new EP's comments, the steps they've taken in the past year and the steps they say they will be taking in the coming year, that this model is only going to become mandatory for all new features/items/giveaways/anything.

Pretending this is an innocuous addition is only fooling yourself and wearing blinders.
  • mav75mav75 Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    My 5 Sci and my new KDF Engineer will get the ship.

Of those only my KDF main (also a Sci) and Romulan Sci will be using the ship for any length of time. As for the c-store version, I may get one if I like using the free version. That means replacing either my Chel Gret or Talvath in the fun factor, as those are the ships those toons are always returning to.

Others will open the box for the Secondary Deflector, that way I don't have to worry about getting a decent one until after they release a Fleet or Reputation one with Season 9 (and that will be coming).
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    To answer the OP none. To expand on previous comments things like this are a danger to the company though. If I as an individual do not take part in this event and get the 4th parts of the set I am far less likely to spend the 50$ on each set so you are hurting your own future sales.

As a consumer I am thus reasonably happy as you yourselves, Cryptic, have put in place the deterrents to stop me considering purchases of these products. Had the ship been merely a 'trial' basic ship I would still be inclined to consider a later purchase of these ships.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
    edited February 2014
    ijimithy wrote: »
    I think it's more than that to be fair if your choosing to grind out rep, you're either doing Tau Dewa, Nukara, Borg STFs and then you have the rest then its 2-3 minutes per toon for one character for the mini q's. All while using up valuable XP which you cannot get as easily if your doing it on multiple toons.

One toon I woudn't see a problem
    5 toons and I can see the screen fill with rage lol

Playing a game should be fun, it shouldn't be like a second job and in fact if i wanted a second job i'd go out and get one at least i'd get paid for it.

You are right though you don't have to do it if you don't want to at the end of the day
    fixed that for you. :P both are choices....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    None...just got the space ware and the Ev suits.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
    edited February 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Read a few posts critical of the event.

5 minutes tops is false.

Certainly it can be done in 5 minutes, possibly a little less.

Get mostly runners, don't be on an even half full instance, avoid the (thankfully) small number of griefers who seem to get their kicks trying to obscure the miniQ in the present box shuffle, also avoid the NPCs that can walk straight into a present shuffle and just stand there.

Your time estimate is possible.

However, its not 'tops'.

That would be a lot nearer ten minutes, and while on one toon thats not necessarily a problem, over multiple toons it adds up fast.

As a point of comparison, in previous anniversary player appreciation events, it would take someone 90 minutes to collect the ship on 6 toons. 90 minutes not time gatred and playable at the players convenience at any time during the event.

It now takes northwards of nine hours and the majority of that is time gated, meaning that anyone only able to play at the weekend has no chance of getting the ship for free.

I'm glad you're getting through this in a mere five minutes, but not everyone has as much reason to feel 'appreciated' as you.
    I timed myself yesterday. I cycled 2 characters in ~37 minutes. BUT that was me taking the time to queue doff missions, and do the academy dailies too.... and chat with random people in game... and a few other random things... It also included every loading screen between when I logged out as Diaula, through playing as Beltran, and ends when I finished the event as Chuft. If I had hurried I could probably have done all 3 in that time.

and really.... people did the "grind" last year for the dil anyways. But now people complain because there's MORE rewards? That makes no sense to me. You get Qms AND dil for grinding.....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • blessedladyboyblessedladyboy Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    No its not a let down. Mission is awesome artistically and storywise, free ships are awesome and quick equip is uber!
    edited February 2014
    I timed myself yesterday. I cycled 2 characters in ~37 minutes. BUT that was me taking the time to queue doff missions, and do the academy dailies too.... and chat with random people in game... and a few other random things... It also included every loading screen between when I logged out as Diaula, through playing as Beltran, and ends when I finished the event as Chuft. If I had hurried I could probably have done all 3 in that time.

and really.... people did the "grind" last year for the dil anyways. But now people complain because there's MORE rewards? That makes no sense to me. You get Qms AND dil for grinding.....

Fair point on the times. In practise we'll probably all do a bit of administration while at the academy, whether its cycling doffs, banking stuff, whatever.

Thus, time estimates can be distorted.

However, I've been running the miniQ's on two toons only, and my play pattern means I usually pick them up at the academy, cycle the doffs, play the game and move on.

The minQ game by itself can take me five minutes, but can also easily take me ten. It depends on the random factors, other players, Qavailability, which minigame etc.....

As for your last point you are being a little disingenuous.

Yes, the grind this year has more rewards.

Because the ungrindy reward was taken away, and this year the only way to get that reward is to grind.

Last year the miniQ game was optional....as I'm sure you're aware. Nobody had to play it 15 times to get the anniversary reward.
  • paxfederaticapaxfederatica Member Posts: 1,496 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The "Step Between Stars" mission itself is a quantum leap above the click-fest that is "Sphere of Influence". The random events they've incorporated into this mission alone give it more replay value than most other Cryptic missions.

Having to grind "Party Patrol" to get the rest of the needed Qmendations for the Dyson ship is a pain, but I only want that ship for one of my five toons so I can live with it.
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Last year the Party Patrol was played by choice (tried it a few times and lost interest), but this year it is by force. Grinding is not content and this version of grind is not even worth the reward, as proven by the plan to release a 10-console version with a new ship set. :rolleyes:
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It certainly doesn't feel as festive or celebratory as previous years' events, but it has it's own grindy charm. I'm just disappointed that Cryptic cannot help itself and insists on putting everything behind what they consider to be their genius reputation system. I get that they're proud of it, but that doesn't mean every system (including the free celebrations) has to interact with the reputation game.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    r24681012 wrote: »
    i have to say the 4th Aniversary event is very disappointing why all of a sudden after 3 aniversary events with free ships do we now have to grind for one i would be nice to have a event where we did not have to grind for something and we had to do some missons to get the ship like the new feature episode why not give us the ship when we finish the misson i tought the Aniversary was to celebrate 4 years of playing sto so surely we we should get some reward for sticking with the game for so long after all without us there would be no game just seems strange after giving us the oddessy for free and the enterprise c for free why now we have to grind what do you guys think

i tend to have no opinion on cryptic content one way or the other, saves from being disappointed or getting to excited about something with it quickly getting nerfed either right away or later on. one way or the other, when it comes that is that.

regardless how others see it, even if i dont use the ships i will get them one to each faction, then i would have the choice to use it or loose it. at least it was given the chance instead of dismissed out of hand.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited February 2014
    Fair point on the times. In practise we'll probably all do a bit of administration while at the academy, whether its cycling doffs, banking stuff, whatever.

Thus, time estimates can be distorted.

However, I've been running the miniQ's on two toons only, and my play pattern means I usually pick them up at the academy, cycle the doffs, play the game and move on.

The minQ game by itself can take me five minutes, but can also easily take me ten. It depends on the random factors, other players, Qavailability, which minigame etc.....

As for your last point you are being a little disingenuous.

Yes, the grind this year has more rewards.

Because the ungrindy reward was taken away, and this year the only way to get that reward is to grind.

Last year the miniQ game was optional....as I'm sure you're aware. Nobody had to play it 15 times to get the anniversary reward.
    quite frankly.... last year's "ungrindy" reward was only worth having because it was free. I've only ever used it on my foundry character. This year's reward is something I actually WANT! Unlike last year where I got the Ambassador/Kamarag boxes then went "why did I bother to get this?"...

It's not so much that they're bad, it's more about how they are approximately equal to the RA free ships.... the wiki pages for Kamarag and Ambassador have all the info you need. They're effective ships, but inferior to anything that's better than a freebie RA ship....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    'Star Trek: Online's" fourth anniversary is a massive letdown.

As someone who has to steadily work during the week, while also take care of a kid, I am unable to enter into 'Star Trek: Online' everyday. I usually play two days a week. Since there are not enough weekends, within the event's longevity, I will not be able to obtain a 'not-so-free' ship.

I also only have one avatar.

What kills me is that you cannot earn Qmendations through the featured episode. Once you obtain your first 400 Qmendations, the featured episode stops giving them to you.

I guess being a 'Star Trek' fan is not enough.

It stinks.
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Working on 4 toons , i have 1 FED,KDF,ROM sci , 1 FED eng.
    i like the looks of the KDF and Rom versions of the ship . the fed ship is alright not liking the nacelles . my main focus is just to have another sci ship for my sci toons .

ill just say with the SF academy side its hard to find a underpopulated area where your not searching for a Q thats free which can take more time to complete. or getting NPCs in the way.
    KDF academy is much better not as crowded with players and NPCs and much easier with the chase .
    the most time consuming part is playing and replaying the FE for the initial qmendations and the set pieces .
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I don't mind playing the episode again a few times for the additional consoles etc. It's such a good episode.

But the game of the little Q's running between the boxes is one of the most irritating mini games ever devised. :mad:

Is the anniversary event a let down? No. I don't think so. :)
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    One.

For a KDF character. :)
    edited February 2014
    quite frankly.... last year's "ungrindy" reward was only worth having because it was free. I've only ever used it on my foundry character. This year's reward is something I actually WANT! Unlike last year where I got the Ambassador/Kamarag boxes then went "why did I bother to get this?"...

It's not so much that they're bad, it's more about how they are approximately equal to the RA free ships.... the wiki pages for Kamarag and Ambassador have all the info you need. They're effective ships, but inferior to anything that's better than a freebie RA ship....

Sorry, but I disagree on your assesment of the free ships.

Are they c-store quality? Not quite, though the Oddy was close.

The Oddy prototype is a decent, big cruiser with a handy dandy QSS cooldown bonus.

The Ambassador is actually quite a nice, science based cruiser with a good turn rate for such ships.

No consoles with either of them true, but OTOH more room for things like neutronium and RCs consoles.

These ships are nowhere near as bad or as useless as you've suggested.
    edited February 2014
    Sorry, but I disagree on your assesment of the free ships.

Are they c-store quality? Not quite, though the Oddy was close.

The Oddy prototype is a decent, big cruiser with a handy dandy QSS cooldown bonus.

The Ambassador is actually quite a nice, science based cruiser with a good turn rate for such ships.

No consoles with either of them true, but OTOH more room for things like neutronium and RCs consoles.

These ships are nowhere near as bad or as useless as you've suggested.
    I never said bad or useless. Simply that Kamarag and Ambassador are par with freebie ships. Sure they have different stats, but I'd rather fly a D'Kyr or Excelsior than an Ambassador. You can do quite well in STFs flying a Star Cruiser.... But I'd rather not, and Ambassador is on par with Star Cruiser in stats.

(I didn't even mention Odyssey in my last post, but...).One of my characters actually still uses her free Oddy(the others never unboxed it). Oddy is actually a heavy cruiser par excellance. Sure, the Z-store version is better, but not much.

The new ships are BETTER than most Z-store ships.

It's one of those "you get what you pay for" things.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited February 2014

The new ships are BETTER than most Z-store ships.

And here's the thing.....i remain unconvinced of that.

sure, somewhat better stats, at least on the forthcoming cstore versions, but I'm not overwhelmed by the dual purpose nature of these ships, i don't like how it reverts to sci position every time you jump, the Fed version is not a looker.......the ten console versions are cstore ships alright, but I actually don't think they're universally awesome.

And, remember, we're not grinding for the ten console version, we're doing that for the nine console one and a warp core.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014

So since the PWE/Cryptic fans keep insisting the Anniversary ship is "free," and "you get what you pay for," we can conclude... :rolleyes: